Closed Warding off the Winter Chill

Aster has a few drinks. (Kurtsig)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Warding off the Winter Chill

Postby Asterope on February 11th, 2018, 3:01 am

42nd/Winter/517

Alvadas, it seemed, was in a fickle mood. Despite it being long past the hours of which the sun should have set, Syna still shone bright in the sky, and Aster had yet to change forms. She felt strange; out of place, as if her body knew that things were wrong. There was a strange buzzing feeling beneath her skin.

She was full of pent-up energy, as if the extra time soaking up the sunshine had filled her to the brim, and she felt more restless than usual. She'd taken to the streets, both surprised and not to find the other residents of the city bustling around as if the extended hours of day weren't strange. Aster was hoping to find either something to burn off the extra energy she felt coursing through her, or somewhere quiet to sit and relax and allow it to fizzle out.

So far, she had found neither. The streets kept turning her in circles and bringing her to dead-ends, and frustration was beginning to creep through her as she made her way down snow-trodden paths, the cool wind nipping at her nose and cheeks.

It took her longer than she would have liked to admit, but it suddenly dawned on Aster that she had been walking past the same building for awhile. She stopped, turning to look. The door to the Stallion's Rear stared innocuously back at her. Testing her theory, she turned to continue walking; a few paces later, the dark wood of the door with silver lettering caught her eye again, as if it was following her.

Clearly, somebody or something wanted her in there. Or perhaps Ionu thought this was the best solution to her problem. The last time (which had also been the first and only time) that she'd been in the tavern, she'd stumbled into a drinking game. While not among her usual hobbies, she couldn't deny that it had been fun.

With a slight sigh, she pushed her way into the building; at the very least, it would get her out of the cold, and a drink would be good for warming up. It wasn't particularly crowded; despite the time, Aster supposed it was still daylight. Absently, she wondered if she could even get drunk in her divine form. Feeling out of place, she made her way to a table by the hearth, ordering a glass of red wine when a waitress swept by her table.

She glanced around, gathering her cloak up into her lap and resting her hands there. The tavern was quiet save for the crackling fire behind her and the quiet voices from the few other patrons. The waitress brought her wine back and Aster gave her a faint smile, handing over the coins necessary. The glass in front of her held a deep crimson liquid that was swirling on its own, glittering in the dim light of the tavern.

It was a small but pleasant illusion; Aster took a sip of the wine, the taste deep and fruity. It seemed to sizzle on her tongue, and all in all it pleasantly reminded her of summer. Aster frowned slightly, tapping one nail idly against the glass. Sitting with a glass of wine was hardly doing anything to help relieve her pent-up energy. She probably would have been better off bringing Navi out so she could chase the dog around the city.

Then again, there must have been a reason the city was so intent on bringing her to the Rear. Maybe I just need to get really drunk, she thought to herself in amusement, then stopped to actually consider. She could count on one hand the amount of times she'd drunk alcohol; the amount of times she'd gotten at all tipsy were even less. The idea began to hold a strange appeal to it.

After a long moment of consideration, she drained her glass of wine in a few long swallows. Standing, she glanced up at the ceiling as she made her way to the bar, noticing that the few tiles shone just as brightly as the sky outside did, adding a little bit of extra light to the room.

Approaching the bar, she placed her empty wineglass down, giving a hesitant smile to the waitress who was now cleaning glasses. There was only one other person occupying the stools, a young man two over with dark hair. She examined the barrels advertising the drinks, and tipped her head slightly.
"What's degtine?" She asked the waitress, who put her hand to her chest in exaggerated shock.

"It's a specialty of the Rear! Don't tell me you've been living in Alvadas and haven't tried it?"

Aster hesitated before giving a small shake of her head, loose hair flying around her face with the motion. "I'm not much of a drinker," she admitted.

"Well, you should give it a try. It's a bit strong but quite good." She eyed Aster, as if waiting for a response, and the Eth nodded in agreement. "Good!" The waitress set the glass she was cleaning down and got a shot for Aster, sliding the glass over to her.

The liquor was mostly clear with a faint green tint to it. Taking a cautious sniff, Aster was overwhelmed by the scent of spirits with some sort of herb underneath it. Inhaling deeply, she lifted the glass to her mouth; she'd seen other people take shots, of course, but never done it herself. Closing her eyes, she knocked the glass back, swallowing the liquid in one go.

She had no idea what it tasted of; it was too strong to tell. But she knew it certainly burned. It slid hotly down her throat, and she coughed as she set the glass down. The waitress laughed, not unkindly, and handed her a glass of water which Aster gratefully took, drinking deeply.

"It can be rough the first few times you try it."

Aster hummed an agreement as she coughed again, not wanting to talk just yet with her throat burning as it was. People drank that regularly for fun? She was starting to second guess her idea of getting drunk; at the very least, perhaps she was better off sticking to wine.

Ledger :
Mug of wine: -5 SM
Shot of degtine: -8 SM
Total: -1 GM, 3 SM

"Common" | "Nari" | "Pavi" | Thoughts
"Other People's Speech"

The sun will rise, and we will try again
Asterope
A light that never goes out

Words: 661387
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Kurtsig on February 11th, 2018, 10:24 am

"Speech/Thoughts"
"Others"

Winter. A time of misery for some, maybe even most, people. Not for Kurtsig. He loathed the draining heat of the sun during summer time. Winter had always presented a trace of mystery for him. Aesthetically, it had always been his favorite. Beautiful formations of icicles hung from rooftops and the powdery snow painted the otherwise mundane look of the Alvadas streets in a coat of beautiful white.

It had been a rather uneventful day as he had no job lined up. He had slept extensively during the day and decided to visit the Stallion's Rear for a bit of drinking, one of his favorite pastimes. It was the perfect evening and, as it was winter, he wasn't expecting many patrons. A quiet evening with his best friend.

Leaving his home, he was greeted with a cool sensation upon his face that couldn't keep him from cracking a faint smile. The streets were unsurprisingly empty, only a few passersby when compared to the other season's busy streets. It didn't take him long to find the tavern; it was practically his home away from home.

Not hesitating to enter, he pushed the door open, only to be greeted with the usual "good to see you again, Kurtsig!" Always feeling welcomed, he took off his cloak and hung it up by the door before strolling to his "usual spot", a barstool that was just to the right of the center of the counter, and sitting down. The barmaid, seeing Kurtsig, immediately perked up, carrying her usual bubbly demeanor.

"Good evening, Chere. I'll have the usual, thanks."

The barmaid grabbed a shot glass from the shelf and prepared a shot of degtine, humming softly as she did so. She slid the shot down the counter, where Kurtsig caught it with much anticipation. He took the glass to his mouth and took a brief inhale before downing it immediately. The sensation was warm, and the herb finish was calming. With a deep exhale, he waved to Chere, motioning for another shot. He didn't even need to wait; she knew that when he was here, that he was here to drink. The second shot slid down the counter and stopped right in front of Kurtsig, as if it was magnetized to him. He quickly downed this shot as well. Putting the shot glass down, he rolled his shoulders and arched his back, feeling relaxed.

The alcohol had hit him quicker than usual. The ambient noise of the tavern, the crackling of the fire, and inaudible chattering of the other patrons had begun to slow. Kurtsig fumbled with his empty shot glass as he stared idly at the shadow it cast onto the counter he sat at. His mind suddenly preoccupied as memories of his days at the orphanage began to flow into his head.

«Flashback: 30 Autumn, 508 AV

"...you promise?", a young girl's voice asked shakingly, grabbing Kurtsig's hand tightly. As those words were uttered, a seemingly ominous and almost haunting wind blew, causing her hair to sway in her face. A hesitant moment passed. "I...I'll see you again someday, Kareah. It's a promise.", he reaffirmed her, as he held her hand for the final time that evening while slowly making their way to the sleeping quarters. It was the most bittersweet moment that he had ever felt and his stomach retched every step of the way to the sleeping quarters.

End Flashback»

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the tavern doors opening, welcoming another patron to the scene. He didn't turn around as his head was now spinning only slightly due to the "trauma" of the interruption. He closed his eyes briefly and put his head down into his folded arms at the counter to recover his wits. It wasn't like him to succumb to the effects of alcohol this easily. He did have a smaller dinner than he normally did, so that could have been it. As he lay his head, he could hear some talk between Chere and a female patron, but couldn't really make out what was being said.

A few moments later, he heard coughing from his left side. Finally sitting up with his composure regained, he looked to his left. A woman sat at a barstool with a shot glass in front of her. It must have no doubt been degtine. Most people can't handle the strength, or, at least, having it as the first drink.

"Yeah, that's a strong drink. You won't like it right away.", Kurtsig explained in a relaxed tone before glancing over at Chere. "Another degtine for me, and a mug of wine for the young lady.", he motioned to Chere. He shifted his gaze over to the woman.
"Don't worry, it's on me.", he nodded to her.

Ledger :
Shot of degtine (x3): -24 SM
Mug of Wine: -5 SM
Total: -29 SM
Kurtsig
Player

Words: 4688
Joined roleplay: January 28th, 2018, 1:48 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Asterope on March 7th, 2018, 2:17 pm

As Aster sipped her water carefully, the young man to her right suddenly spoke up. The Eth blinked, raising her golden gaze to look at him as she set the mug of water down. "So it seems," she hummed, but her voice wasn't without amusement.

Aster blinked when the man ordered her a mug of wine, a flush rising in her cheeks, tinging her rose-gold skin a deep shade of pink. "Oh, you don't have to," she protested, but a mug of wine had already been set in front of her, a shot of degtine sliding down the counter for the man to catch.

"Thank you." Aster inclined her head, hesitating before raising her mug in a quiet toast and taking a sip. What were the social rules of drinking? What was she supposed to do when someone bought her a drink? She had no idea. Certainly though it would be rude to simply ignore the man; besides, perhaps this was the solution to her restlessness.

Angling herself to face the man, she idly swirled the wine in her mug. "I'm Aster," she offered; he was too far away to give her hand to shake, so instead she smiled just slightly at the man.

She waited for him to introduce himself before she spoke again. "Do you come here often, then? You seem practiced with the degtine." Amusement sparkled in the depths of her warm eyes.

She waited politely for a response before continuing, the alcohol making her more talkative than she likely would have been otherwise. "This isn't really usually my scene," Aster admitted. "But, well. I didn't really know what to do with all the extra sunlight. It's messing with my head a bit, I think." She let out a small laugh, suddenly realized she'd probably said too much, and promptly took a deep sip of her wine.

Suddenly, she noticed a few snowflakes drift past her nose. Glancing up, Aster realized with a mixture of dismay and bemusement that the tiles showing the sky were beginning to slowly and gently release snowflakes down into the tavern, the barmaid beginning to mutter as she saw the snowflakes.

It didn't seem to get any colder, at least not yet, so for the moment the Eth dismissed it as a harmless illusion, looking back to her newfound companion. "Are you new to Alvadas?" She questioned, curious. The sudden appearance of the snow hadn't seemed to phase him much, if at all, so she doubted he was. It was usually easy to spot newcomers to the City of Illusions.

Asterope

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Power Fork (1)

Postby Kurtsig on April 5th, 2018, 10:17 pm

Kurtsig wrote:
"Speech/Thoughts"
"Others"

The entire tavern seemed to become eerily quiet as the Eth spoke to him, as if the only presence of beings in the room were himself and Aster. What am I thinking? he paused, suddenly recalling his slight phobia of socializing amidst his jumbled thoughts. But, I can't simply be rude. Maybe this can actually help. He awkwardly moved a few stools over in order to establish a better vantage point for conversation. He glanced over to Aster with intention of replying but not before being taken aback by her image.

"My name's Kurtsig." He sloppily stated, attempting to make eye contact before his face turned a rosy pink itself. He idly played with his shot glass, still full. The ambience of the tavern seemed to slowly return to the attention of his senses, as he slowly became a bit more comfortable. Kurtsig opened his mouth as if to respond to another one of the Eth's questions but was no sooner distracted by the image of powdery white snowflakes dancing in front of him.

"Pretty..." He commented as the snowflakes continued to cascade down. His mesmerization was quickly interrupted by a loud *thud* on the counter in front of him. Chere quickly came into his view, her cheeks flushed a deep red, glancing over to Aster and back at him.

Almost instantly, he knew what he'd done. "I-I was commenting on the snowflakes, I apologize for that." He said rapidly with an embarrassed expression on his face, looking for any sort of distraction. He quickly took his third shot before finally relaxing. Of course he couldn't admit to Aster being as beautiful as she was so quickly, but thankfully the snowflakes served as a scapegoat, unless they were an illusion that only he could see...

Desperately wanting to change the subject, he'd recalled her other question. Fumbling with his words, he managed a response. I wouldn't say I'm new to Alvadas, but you see, I grew up with few people in my life. Many people don't know who I am, so I could easily be mistaken for a newcomer. However many of the regulars here know me whether its simply as a patron or as a friend." He stated, glancing over at Chere, who really was his only friend here. The barmaid perked up again, giving Kurtsig a reassuring smile. "Degtine is my drink of choice, yes. The first time I had it I had the same reaction as you, but the flavor was too good to ignore. I come here almost exclusively for that drink." he added, chuckling softly to himself.

He looked at the Eth once more, with a little more confidence this time. "I don't believe I've seen you around these parts either, but given your question I can only assess that you've been here a while yourself." A moment passed while Kurtsig thought about something to say. He was not particularly skilled in talking to others, especially women. "What brought you to Alvadas? Have you been elsewhere? Coming from someone who's been here their whole life, I'd love to hear any stories you might have."

The tavern once again seemed to fall quiet, but not silent, as Kurtsig awaited a response.
Kurtsig
Player

Words: 4688
Joined roleplay: January 28th, 2018, 1:48 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Asterope on March 12th, 2019, 12:02 pm

The Sun Has Risen

And so have your grades!

Kurtsig

Notes
If you return, PM me for your grades!

Asterope

Skills
✧Observation +2
✧Investigation +1
✧Logic +1
✧Socialization +2

Lores
✧Degtine: Specialty alcohol of the Stallion's Rear
✧Lore of taking a shot for the first time
✧Kurtsig: A regular at the Stallion's Rear

Thank you for your patience! As always, please edit or delete your request in the grading queue; and if you have any questions or concerns about your grades, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me!

Asterope

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Power Fork (1)