Closed Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Ghost? (Anja)

Kailani seeks out Anja for a long-awaited lesson in Spiritism.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Ghost? (Anja)

Postby Kailani on January 2nd, 2019, 2:34 am

25th Day of Winter, 518 AV, 13th Bell

It was another beautiful Winter day, and Kailani breathed in the fresh air with a smile. Even if she knew how dangerous and unnatural it was to go so long without the season, she couldn’t help but enjoy the weather while it lasted—especially after such a miserable Fall. Who could really complain about Spring-like temperatures when it was normally so cold and blustery? Certainly not her.

The Svefra hummed softly to herself as she walked through the marketplace of Baroque Bay, Kona close at her heels. She had a very particular purpose in mind as she made her way to the jewelry store, a purpose that had been tucked into the back of her mind for about a season or so, and it was a purpose she meant to fulfill today. Even if it made her stomach flutter… for more reasons than one.

Anja. Kailani would never forget that day at Dead Man’s Swagger as long as she lived. Her first encounter with ghosts… and her first encounter with the handsome Drykas who laid them to rest. Neither had she forgotten his offer that day, even if she had waited so long to take him up on it. Between learning Auristics from Kynier and (hopefully) learning Spiritism from Anja, she’d be a tried and true mage by the next season. “Let’s see if he remembers me, eh, boy?” she said to her Deerstalker, who wagged his tail and looked up at her. With a crooked smile, she scratched his ears before taking a deep breath and approaching the entrance of the Gem.

Me, a magic user. Certainly not a path I ever expected my life to take. A small bell tinkled softly over the door as she opened it, ushering the dog ahead of her. But then again, who can ever really know what paths life will take? This time spent in Sunberth has taught me that, if nothing else.

Two seasons ago, if anyone had told her she’d end up a ferrywoman in Sunberth and a member of another pod, she would have laughed right in their face. Yet, here she was, both of those things, and surprisingly enough… content. Had anyone told her she’d ever actually like it here, she would have laughed even harder, especially after the circumstances that brought her to the port city in the first place.

Life is strange. No more than that did she have to say to herself, the sailor’s attention caught instead by an elegantly wrought display containing rings and necklaces of all shapes, sizes, and colors. She found herself entranced by the sparkling jewels of kaleidoscopic hues, leaning in closer to get a closer look.

“Beautiful,” Kailani whispered reverently and somewhat longingly. After this past season, she certainly had the gold for such finery, but what was the point? If she didn’t lose it overboard first, it would just make her a target for some of the less savory citizens of the city. The Svefra had no wish to be robbed just for a bit of glitz hanging around her neck.

With a regretful sigh, she turned her attention away from the display and started wandering around more of the show room floor. It’s all so gorgeous, she thought to herself as she stopped again in front of a pair of sapphire ear drops. To create such beauty in a place of such filth… it’s almost unreal.

After a few more chimes of wandering the shop without seeing another soul, Kailani started to wonder if she’d come to the right place. What if Anja wasn’t here? How would she even find him if he wasn’t? Had she come here for nothing? Oh, stop your worrying, you blithering idiot, she told herself crossly, rolling her eyes at her own foolishness. It’s not like you’ve been standing here for bells.

“Hello?” she finally called out into the seemingly empty building, accented Common echoing off the glass of the display cases. “Is anyone here?”

tiny filler words
Kailani
Daughter of the Sea

Words: 176158
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2018, 5:16 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Anja Nightwatcher on January 7th, 2019, 12:58 am

The day was a calm one. The warm and pleasant weather had eased the nerves in the wake of the miserable autumn, and the Spiritist found that he was rather enjoying the change of pace. Kelski and Ebon were out for the moment, and the Gem was very still. Anja didn't mind keeping an eye on the shop when his friends were out, but the small handful of customers in the morning had dried up, and Anja had eventually given up on watching things and had retired upstairs. If anything dramatic happened, the Gem would find a way to tell him. Her talents were only growing, and even without Kelski's connection to the building, Anja could puzzle his way through the occasional interaction with the sentient structure.

So, while the Gem kept watch, Anja stood in the Great Room with two fast growing pups on the opposite side of the room to him, staring at Anja with an intensity that would curl paint.

“Stay,” Anja told the two of them in Pavi. He made the accompanying grass sign with a single outstretched hand, and watched the two's eyes dart from his signing hand to his mouth, then back again. Sayeth was as still as stone, but Battle found the focus difficult. She shifted slightly in place, nerves taut with focus. Anja waited until he was sure that she was going to move forward, then firmly repeated his command. “Stay,” he told them. Battle faltered a moment, then returned to her still position. Anja counted slowly to ten in his head, then said “Come!” making the appropriate grass sign. Anja had hardly raised his hand to make the gesture when the two pups came barreling towards him. Both darted towards him, then skidded to a halt as Anja commanded “Sit!” Like finely tuned clockwork, both pups plopped their butts down on the ground and looked to their master expectantly.

“Good girl, good boy,” Anja said with a chuckle, and removed his hidden hand behind his back, tossing two pieces of jerky into waiting puppy mouths. Battle simply scarfed the jerky down whole, then looked for her brother, who had already darted off underneath the couch. Anja knew from experience that he would worry it for a little while in the safety of the darkness before emerging for more training and treats. Anja was becoming increasingly more convinced of how smart his companions were. They couldn't match a strider perhaps, but they were fast thinkers, and they learned at an astonishing rate. It wouldn't be long before Anja started bringing the pair with him while he went to work. They needed an outlet for all that cleverness and energy.

Anja watched with a smile as Battle tried and failed to steal the treat from her brother. At one point she paused in her endeavors and heaved herself from underneath the couch, head tilted slightly. After another moment she returned to her task, to the chorus of a growling Sayeth. When Sayeth finally emerged from underneath the couch, he tilted his head and gave Anja a pointed look. Without further explanation, he turned and headed down the stairs. Just as Anja was going to follow him, he heard a voice calling up from the stairs.

“Ah!” Anja called out. “My apologies. Coming!” Anja was a touch surprised that the Gem hadn't thought to bring attention to the visitor, but perhaps he simply hadn't been paying attention. Or maybe she just hadn't wanted to tell him. She didn't have any obligation to tell him anything. Anja headed out of the living quarters of the Gem and into the shop below, with Battle following at Anja's heels. Once at the bottom of the steps the Drykas paused, looking at the visitor with surprise, before a smile slowly grew on his face.

“Kailani. Well met.” Anja spoke the greeting in Fratva, smiling in spite of himself. He hadn't seen the Sverfra since their battle with the ghost the previous season, and Anja had been becoming convinced that she might have forgotten about him. Even if he had thought to seek her out, he wouldn't have known where to look. Sverfra weren't exactly known for being able to be pinned down.

Sayeth startled and darted behind Anja suddenly, drawing the man's attention to the dog standing attention at Kailani's side. He was a fearsome looking animal, all muscle and attitude. “I see you brought a friend with you,” Anja said. He heard a growl from behind him and looked to see Battle, ears flat, slowly creeping towards the stranger dog. “Hold,” Anja said in Pavi, and Battle froze in place. “Stay. Good girl. He's twice your size sweetheart, don't pick fights you can't win.” Anja was half convinced that a look of annoyance crossed his companion's face, but Battle held.

Anja stepped towards the dog, carefully watching the animal's posture to make sure that it wasn't about to attack him. The Drykas would take as much time as he needed to. Once he was convinced his presence was acceptable, he would offer the dog one of the pieces of jerky he kept on him for training purposes. Sayeth yet out a yowl of displeasure, but a firm look from Anja silenced the pup to a grumble. If Kailani's dog seemed like he was willing, Anja would give him a rub behind his ears before straightening to look at Kailani. Otherwise he would leave the dog to his meal.

“Welcome Kailani. I don't suppose you're here for jewelry are you? Kelski is out at the moment.” Although Kailani's appearance at the Gem most likely signaled an interest in his housemate's craft, Anja couldn't help but be a bit hopeful that she was here for him. Anja liked the sverfra, and other than Kynier's fleeting interest all those seasons ago Anja had not found anyone with any interest in Spiritism. Sunberth teemed with so many ghosts that Anja couldn't possibly take care of all of them himself. Teaching people Spiritism was a means to an end. The more people who knew it, the more likely that people could help him with his work. As far as Anja was concerned, there were no downsides to teaching the magic.
Anja Nightwatcher
Ghost Hunter

Words: 298384
Joined roleplay: February 15th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kailani on January 10th, 2019, 5:22 am

Soon after she called out, Kailani heard several sets of footsteps coming down the stairs and held her breath, Kona alert and ready at her side. When Anja appeared with two young pups at his side, she couldn’t help but smile—that sweet smile only deepening at his halting greeting in Fratava. She hadn’t forgotten their first meeting when he’d done the same, and it warmed her heart now just as it had then. “Well met, indeed, Anja Nightwatcher,” she smoothly (and slowly) replied in the same tongue, cerulean eyes twinkling in response. Switching back to Common, she added, “It’s a pleasure to see you again.”

I see you brought a friend with you. Looking down at Kona, the Svefra nodded, nervously holding her breath as the Drykas moved in closer. “Aye. His name is Kona. I got him not long after we met. As a guardian, he’s worth more than his weight in gold.”

A low growl rumbled in the Deerstalker’s chest as Anja drew nearer, hackles rising as he pressed protectively against Kailani’s leg. A calming hand dropped between his shoulders, the sailor softly assuring him in Fratava, “Friend, Kona. He’s a friend. He won’t hurt you or me.”

The dog seemed to relax a little at her reassurance, dropping the growl, though he remained wary as the man approached. He sniffed hesitantly at Anja’s hand as he held out the morsel in his direction before gently taking it from between his fingers and scarfing it in less than a tick. Food seemed to do the trick, a brindled tail wagging enthusiastically as he began a more thorough investigation of the man’s hands. Dewy brown eyes looked up to meet his as if asking for more before eagerly accepting the ear scratch with a soft yip.

Kailani released the breath she’d been holding, laughing at the dog’s unexpected puppyish behavior. “Consider yourself lucky,” she told Anja, shaking her head in disbelief. “He can be a rude little shyke. Especially to men.”

Her own attention was pulled to the dogs that had accompanied him, kneeling before them and crooning in Fratava, “Well, aren’t the pair of you too cute for words, hm?” Looking up at the Drykas and switching languages again, she asked, “What are their names?”

Much as Anja had done, she pulled a couple chunks of sausage from her pocket that she used to keep her own dog in line. Holding out a bit to each of them, she waited patiently to see if either would accept the treats. If they did, she’d give each a gentle scratch under the chin before straightening and turning back to her human companion.

Another smile accompanied his next line of questioning. “I’m not here for jewelry,” Kailani replied, though she cast a wistful glance back in the direction of the sapphire ear drops she’d examined before. “Even if it is beautiful…”

Shaking her head, she pulled herself back on track and turned her azure gaze on his. “I came here for you, actually,” the Svefra told him, even as a faint blush stained her cheeks. Clearing her throat, she quickly added, “For your offer, I mean, not for you. Not that I didn’t want to see you, I definitely did, I just mean…” Her blush only deepened, cutting herself off, coughing, and ducking her head. Get a hold of yourself, woman. Since when do you blush and stutter like a teenager? When have you ever had trouble speaking with handsome men? With a self-deprecating laugh, she pulled her stumbling tongue back under control. “Sorry, it’s been a long day. I’m here to see you. I had hoped that offer to teach me your magic still stood.”

Her smile was hopeful as she looked at him, patting Kona’s head for her own reassurance. The dog was oblivious, however, much more interested in the puppies still clustered around Anja’s feet. Much to the Svefra’s shock and awe, he stepped forward to greet them, gentle and solicitous as could be. She hadn’t seen him interact with many other dogs, and to say it surprised her that he would be so calm was an understatement. His scarred nose lowered to the level of the young ones’, carefully sniffing each of them in turn with a quiet, questioning bark.

tiny filler words
Kailani
Daughter of the Sea

Words: 176158
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2018, 5:16 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Anja Nightwatcher on January 12th, 2019, 9:53 pm

Anja saw the nerves in the big dog relax as he scarfed down the proffered snack, and the Drykas smiled as his fingers slid across Kona's velvety ears. The soft, sad eyes looking up at Anja brought a rumble of laughter out of Anja's chest. “Ah yes, you are just so neglected aren't you?” the man chuckled. “I can tell from your chubby stomach.” Despite his words, Anja reached into his pouch and gave the dog another piece of jerky anyways. He had to be firm with Sayeth and Battle to make sure their training went well, but he could spoil dogs that weren't his own.

“Ah I'm sure he's just had a rough life,” Anja replied, reaching down for another ear scratch as Kailani voiced her relief at his behavior. “No one in Sunberth can really escape it, man or animal. It leaves scars on everyone.”

Anja smiled as Kailani bent down to eye level with the pups. Battle began sniffing forth curiously, while Sayeth maintained his wary post behind Anja's legs. “The bold white female is Battle,” Anja explained as the more confident of the two began sniffing at Kailani's hands. “The black male is Sayeth. Sayeth means Shepard in Pavi.” Anja smiled, as the careful male was certainly living up to his watchful name. “I took the two of them in after their mother died unexpectedly. Battle, Sayeth,” Anja said. Both pups turned to look at Anja, ears perked. “Friend,” Anja said in Pavi, making the appropriate gesture. As one, Battle and Sayeth looked at Kailani and tilted their heads.

When Kailani offered the sausages to them, Battle proceeded forward without hesitation, boldly taking it into her mouth and scarfing it down cheerfully. She made a move to take the one offered to Sayeth, but the male pup had already darted forward, snatched the sausage from Kailani's hands, and bolted upstairs with Battle in hot pursuit. Anja grinned at the two's retreat. “Sayeth likes you if he took food from you,” Anja told the Svefra. “Don't let that behavior worry you. Battle is always trying to sneak food from Sayeth, so he's developed a coping mechanism.”

Kailani's mention of the beautiful jewelry had Anja nodding. “They are lovely aren't they? Kelski is extremely talented.” He couldn't help but smile as Kailani mentioned coming here for him, although her immediate ramble into her purpose for being here gave him a moment of pause. Her face was flushed bright red. What had her embarrassed?

“I'd be happy to teach you, as I mentioned before,” Anja said hesitantly. “Follow me. I can show you upstairs.”

Anja headed back up into the living quarters of the Gem with Kailani and Kona following at his heels. The group was greeted to the growls of Sayeth underneath the couch and Battle squirming to get at his food. “I'll be back in a moment,” Anja said. He retreated into his room, emerging a few minutes later with a basket full of components. In the meantime, Sayeth and Battle had emerged from underneath the couch and we're placidly sniffing at Kona's nose. Anja flashed the dog a smile, and set his basket of components on the table with a light thump.

“Are you familiar with World Magic, Kailani?” Anja asked her. If she was not, Anja would explain. “Personal magic takes djed from inside of your body, and uses that energy to create spells. World magic on the other hand, uses sources of djed outside of yourself. To the best of my knowledge, Personal Magic affects things within you and World Magic affects things without. Spiritism in particular is practiced by using tools that you will make with your own two hands. The most important of these being Soulmist.”

Anja reached into his basket and from within he pulled out two bowls, each containing a whole egg and a small chunk of soft cheese. Another venture into the basket and Anja had pulled out a small bag, which he folded open to reveal was filled with brown barley flour.

“We are not actually going to be cooking,” Anja said with a wink in Kailani's direction. “Spiritism uses the inherent djed that is contained within sources of food. It is my understanding that any food can be used if it is viscous enough, but this is the recipe I was taught. Egg, cheese, and flour. Three different foods from three different sources. If you were to experiment with different recipes, you must always be sure that your three foods are from three different sources. You could not, for example, use both goat's milk and goat's cheese. They must be from different sources.”

Anja set one of the two bowls in front of one of the chairs, and gestured for the young woman to sit. “Do you have any questions so far?” Anja asked.
Anja Nightwatcher
Ghost Hunter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Anja Nightwatcher on March 20th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Grades Have Arrived

Anja Nightwatcher

XP Award:
  • +2 Animal Husbandry
  • +2 Socialization
  • +1 Teaching

Lore:
  • Self: Watches the Gem Sometimes
  • Animal Husbandry: “Come”
  • Animal Husbandry: “Sit”
  • Animal Husbandry: “Stay”
  • Animal Husbandry: Training Dogs With Pavi and Grass Sign
  • Battle and Sayeth: Protective of their Food
  • Animal Husbandry: “Friend”

Rewards and Penalties:
  • N/A

Note:

Kailani

Note: Let me know if you come back and I'll get you a grade!
Anja Nightwatcher
Ghost Hunter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes