Contributing to a Place Called Home

Quzon and Mathias talk about how he can contribute.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Quzon on July 1st, 2019, 2:11 am

1st Day of Summer, 519 A.V.
Near the 22nd Bell, night.

Twisting and Turning.

A network of nerves ran through the internal fires of a grotesque transitional form, linking a new physical form to the brain one after another as a shudder ran through them, bringing the dissonance of a slight groan humming in Quzon’s throat to an end. The sound stopped as Quzon laid on the mattress within his home. He was shaken from his dreaming and left staring up at the faint illuminations of a flickering hearth fire that bled in from the common area which painted visions on the ceiling of his room.

It gave the Mixed blood a beautiful show of dancing shadows that he could loose himself in if he were trying to sleep.

The only reason that Quzon did not fall asleep was because he’d just finished waking up from a sudden transformation. He had become a nocturnal creature of habit ever since the ring of changed altered him into a Velispar for a short time during the night. It happened every night at exactly the twenty second bell of the day, soon after the ring changed him into a Verusk hybrid. He’d worn it enough times to figure out its exact timing. It also meant that he could never oversleep while wearing the ring.

He laid there in bed, passing the time before he felt like he'd lazed around long enough. With the more destructive change chimes away, he started to prepare by standing up to remove all of his clothing. It was not a difficult thing to do considering that he only wore a loincloth and two necklaces. He removed the glass amulet from around his neck when a knock came from the simple wooden door of his home.

"Who'd be visiting at this hour?" The Myrian thought as he went to open the door and greet his visitor.

Image "Quzon, I take it? Randal told me I could find you around here." Mathias asked, although with a smile as if he knew who and where the Myrian was. "You've made yourself a lovely abode." Quzon's reptilian slitted pupils examined the entire mans form in attempt to spot any held weapons, then to the sides of the door for others. "Yes. What you need." His broken common was used like a blunt weapon, speaking curtly, but not rudely in tone. There weren't that many people in the settlement, so he'd seen Mathias before, but had never spoken to the man.

"You've come a long way since battling that whiptail. How's the rib? I heard from Duncan that you'd broken a few bones when you first arrived. You didn't visit a healer either and decided to let it heal naturally over time? Was that pride? Or do you just like pain? To me, it seemed like wasted time. You could have been enjoying many others other things, rather than laying in bed."

Quzon still held the glass amulet in hand as his thoughts went to that damned beast. He'd hunt it down if it was the last thing he'd do. It was that thought which caused The Amulet of Desire to glow faintly as he stood facing towards the distant sea, pointing out what direction he should go to find the beast. "Not Pride. Pain is good lesson. Quzon needed the reminder. Better happen there, and not in jungle." The soft glow soon faded once he glanced down towards his hand. The thought of the Whiptail being swept away by the thoughts of the items strange glow.

"What?" Quzon thought to himself as he thought back to where he got the item. The odd person who just handed it to him, then ran away outside of the Riverfall Tavern. Mathias glanced from item in Quzon's hand to stare into his slitted eyes. "From what I've heard, what just happen, and what I see standing in front of me. You seem to dabble in the Arcane ... Such abilities can be quite useful when contributing to the success of Syka," Mathias continued with a confident smile at the future possibilities, only pausing for a moment before continuing.

"Which is why I am here. You are expected to contribute if you wish to stay here. Syka. If you are unsure as to why I am saying this. My name is Mathias Okavis. The settlement of Syka is something I have started and wish to continue to see growing. As a leader of Syka, I can't allow someone around to drain resources away from others."

Quzon was about to open his lips to say something when his rib cage expanded violently. The sounds of bones elongating outwards, pressing against his skin like an over stuffed pillow. Mathias had heard that Quzon changed into a Velispar during the night from multiple sources, those being: Seraya, Buraga, and Indigo. And to be honest, this was the reason was why Mathias came here at such a late hour to witness it for himself. Quzon groaned in pain as he quickly dropped the amulet to remove the second necklace he wore, and strip out from his loincloth.

He walked a few feet away before collapsing to the ground as the change happened. Mathias reached down to pick up both necklaces for Quzon. He didn't want Quzon to lose them, but he also wanted to see the previously glowing amulet up close. It was the only amulet of worth, but the second appeared to be a rose medallion pendent that had the symbol of the Riverfall Antiquities Society Compass on it.

The Founder watched as Quzon's body started to elongate and expand.

In most cases the sounds of snapping bones and squelching internal viscera altering its shape would have been a horrible thing. But even he was surprised at how fast the moment went by before Quzon's new full scaled reptilian form laid there on the ground. The Velispar's heavy breaths slowing as Quzon's wolfen maw closed. He took a moment to reconstitute himself before turning to face Mathias as his tail swished behind him.

Word Count: 1002
Quzon
Victory & Power

Words: 271667
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2013, 11:30 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Quzon on July 1st, 2019, 6:46 am

Quzon watched with a pointed gaze as Mathias seemed to be contemplating something. The other male seemed almost ...whisked... away for a moment to the large horse sized Velispar, which was understandable considering what had just happened. Nonetheless Quzon watched the Founder until he spoke up. In the process, he started to rake the his six inch long claws against the ground. He did so because of the tactile sensation of moving the earth felt nice. The motions not disturbing the ground, but passing through it like running his hand just passed the surface of still water.

Mathias still held both of Quzon's pendents as he approached him. "On the topic of Contributions, you seem to be in a very unique position to aid Syka. A well practiced user of reimancy who can.. well," Mathias gestured with a hand towards the way Quzon absentmindedly now shifted a hand through the ground. In that same hand, he held up the Antiquities Society pendent. "You also seem to have sought out higher education in your past."

Quzon reached up with a clawed hand to retrieve his jeweler, nodding his horned head. "I'm no scholar. My study of Earth... only for knowledgeable use of it. And respect of Semele's gifts." Mathias chuckled to himself as he watched Quzon place the necklaces inside of a pitched in front of the Myrians home. "You say that, but learning about a subject so you can use it Knowledgeably. That sounds like the definition of a scholar to me. Never give up on the ability to strive for better things. A past problem can turn into future possibilities with the right motivation and effort. Its how Syka started."

A low grunt slid from Quzon's maw as he shifted his form to turn away from the tent; his necklaces would be safe there for now. And he would certain find out why the amulet shined with magic. Another grunt sounded out. It was just another habitual motion that just happened when one's body weighed enough.

"You have point. Never been one to learn from scrolls." Quzon found himself now wondering why Mathias wanted to build Syka. Where did he come from? How did he do it? They were all questions that Quzon wanted to know, but didn't ask. He wasn't the most sociable of people and resisted his slight urge to know more. Mathias quirked a brow at the way Quzon just absently started to stare at him while lost in thought.

"Back to the matter at hand, since its fairly late, and I've things to do in the morning. I now want you to take on the role of Geologist for Syka. I want you to find and supply the settlement with any specific stone or metal ore the land may hold. And it looks like you can do it with as minimal damage to the jungle as possible." Quzon did not even need to think about the request, he nodded his head almost as soon as the man was done talking. "Yes. I'll get started scouting the land tonight."

Mathias gave a sigh of relief followed by a chuckle. "That is good to hear. I'd hate to make you leave the home you just built. But will if you don't contribute. I consider myself a nice man, but lets not forget that is the reason I came here tonight. Don't be a loner, interact with the other settlers. If you need help when not in this form," The Founder gestured to the body of the large reptile. "I'm an experienced wilderness survivalist and more importantly, a priest of Xhyvas."

Quzon canted a head to one side as he looked the Founder over. "I've never heard of Xhyvas." His slitted eyes examined the mans body for any marks, but his body seemed to be fully covered in clothing. Mathias smirked as he started to walk past Quzon back towards Syka. "See, now you have incentive to come find and we can talk again sometime... Have a good evening, Quzon. Happy hunting." The Myrian Velispar gave the Founder a slight nod in salutation as he watched the man vanish into the jungle.

Word Count: 694
Quzon
Victory & Power

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Quzon on July 5th, 2019, 4:51 am

Quzon grunted as he stood there, still completely uncertain of which way he should be going. Or rather, he knew he should have dived into the earth. But he did not feel like blindly wading around until he bumped into something. If His job was to be a 'scholar', then he would try to start with a bit of forethought. "Nothing just happens by chance, unless djed is transformed, altered from one property into another like res into fire." The reptilian Quzon thought as he started to pace his camp site.

"For instance, the discoloration in stone can mean old gasses or other liquids have altered the earth to form minerals habitats. Meaning, if I want to find metal ores, I should look at places that could be influenced by outside forces, like water. Water stained much of the age old sediment in the Coalinga Mines. I should look deep bellow the Sykan rivers sediment."

With a shrug and one real idea of which direction he should be heading, he turned to the approximate direction of the Sykan River. He was about to dive into the earth when his slitted eye glance towards the pitched tent. "And why did the amulet glow?" That was a question that caused him to peek into the tent, then with a claw, hook it around the necklace to pick it up, and set it in his palm. The glow did not previously burn him, so that was a good sign. Neither did it alter his form to any shocking degree like the ring.

He stared at it for a moment to remember what he was doing when it started glowing. "It was the whiptail." The Earth Velispar stated with a grunt. As he thought about the creature the amulet did nothing. The lack of a glow was confusing, but he soon turned to face the same direction he was originally facing when it first illuminated. As he continued to think about the beast, the amulet started to glow now that he was facing in the direction of the Suvan.

Quzon continued to think about the whiptail as he turned to his right. When the light dissipated, he turned forward again to make it glow again, then shifted to his left as an experiment. Once he was facing the sea again, it started to glow. A smile curled at his wolfen maw, showing the tips of his bladed teeth. It the object could pinpoint the whiptail's location, then it was going to soon be a dead creature.

"It can't be?" Quzon said aloud in Myrian. He'd had the amulet for so long, but never knew it could do this. He look towards the tent that also had his antiquities society pendent inside. Quzon started to think about it as he faced away from the tent, then slowly turned towards it. It caused the Amulet of Desire to glow a faint white color before it quickly stopped once the Myrians thought altered in surprise. "Skurak!" He exclaimed as the realization of what it could do fully kicked in.

Quzon then started to go through a tirade of thoughts, all while twisting, and turning. The location of the moon, his bodybuilding equipment, a tree, the High Spirits in Riverfall, and the Barbed Earth clan long house in Taloba. The only ones that seemed to will forth any type of glow came from the tree and bodybuilding equipment. The barrage of questions spoke to the items limited range, so he couldn't track something across the world or as far as the moon despite it being so obvious in the sky above.

Word Count: 603
Quzon
Victory & Power

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Quzon on July 5th, 2019, 7:09 am

The Velispar's large head lowered down gently to stare at the amulet in his palm. His reptilian eyes lazily closing to a a half lidded state upon entering into a deep thought. He tried to remember the face of the person who handed the amulet to him, but it had been so long ago, their meeting so brief. Besides, the the strangers must be somewhere off in the world. Too far to be tracked down to be questioned about the item.

Was it stole, then passed onto him? Or was it meant to be delivered to him, and if so who told them to give it to him? They were questions that would most likely not be answered anytime soon, so he returned his focus to the matter at hand. "Mineral mica." He started to think to himself in attempt to find a mineral deposit location, because where it was, Quartz could often be near by.

The Amulet started to glow faintly once he held it close to the ground. Quzon was not sure if he could dive with an item openly in hand, so he clutched it tightly in a fist hand. It was enough for the light to peek out through the cracks of his fingers to continue to let the light guide him.

His massive clawed free hand wrenched forward to carved into the ground with such a violent impact that it caused some dust debris to scatter. The force did push his arm a good foot into the earth, before the claws snagged onto the dirt, and he pulled himself into the ground as his back feet pressed against the ground aid in his dive. Like an eel swimming in water, Quzon's body gyrated in a serpentine motion.

He had become one with the earth to swim through Semele's domain. Quzon found himself venturing deeper and deeper into the ground, roughly several miles as he followed the light for about ten miles down. He eventually found the shimmer of earth that glittered from the faint light of the amulet peaking from his fist.

Mica with faint spare flakes of quartz, nothing to make mining it worth it. At least nothing from this mineral deposit. "The water of the Sykan River." He thought about the river where he and Kamilla hunted the three Nandhai. A subtle turn in the earth with a slight shift upwards pointed him towards his destination. However, he did not want to go to it. No, Quzon wanted to remain under ground. So he used the amulet like a compass to head in a straight line, but at a downward angle.

A bell had gone by with the amount of time he'd spent wandering around in the earth. It was a mental estimation, because he did not feel like being trapped underground once he reverted into his hybrid form. Quzon knew that he was under the river when the amulet decided to only glow when held directly above him.

He also noticed that the earth had a distinct layering to it. He was clearly within the sedimentary rocks that formed river bed by old bed, layer after layers piled one on top of the other over time. Given the fundamental nature of mining, the longest habitats left gestating from waters interaction are further down. Or at least that what Quzon believed to be true from his observations.

The Velispar swam further down into the stone for about ten more miles until he found an accumulation of wavy patterns in the dirt. It looked like a large bolder had sprouted within the earth, causing a dirt pattern to run vertically against the rest of the earth in the area. It was obviously some type of martial.

To identify it, Quzon utilized a magic he'd only recently learned since coming to Syka. He began to tap with the well of his djed, causing rippling to disturb the wells surface. He reached out with his free hand to grasp onto the vein of what seemed to be some type of mineral ore as he used the tactile nature of touch to read the objects Aura. The workings of magic felt like it was radiating from his every nerve as his touch sensation was expanded. The objects aura felt like the taste of dirty water, but felt as though purple like a flower. The aura felt beautiful to the half isur, but could pick up its basic physical properties.

"Iron within the ore with bits of feldspar. Stone Iron."

Quzon felt instantly tired upon dropping his focus on the irons aura. He was still so new to it that he now just wanted to sleep. However, his work was still not done. He needed to take it to the surface. Quzon put the amulet in his mouth to hold it under his tongue, the gripped in both hands as he started to back track his way back to his home. Diagonally and upwards. Pulling this massive object like it was nothing.

ImageThe weight of the ore he pulled would have been unmanageable for a normal man. If he had to guess he was pulling near a thousand pound ore vein, as he erupted from ground near his home, and pulled the ore to the surface to get a real look at it for the first time. He spat the amulet out into his hand as he smiled at his nights hard work.

It took a lot of guess work, but he was happy that the amulet aided in finding it so quickly. The time it took the bring the ore back took a bell off his time, leaving him with one bell left with his form. He felt it to dangerous to search form more where also tired and pushing against the deadline. The last thing he'd do for the evening was take it to the communal forge before retiring for the evening. Because he doubted that anyone else could move the damned thing without first braking it into pieces.

Word Count: 1002
Quzon
Victory & Power

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Quzon on July 6th, 2019, 7:27 am

Self Grade

Quzon

Observation: 4
    Rhetoric: 2
    Geology: 2
    Wilderness Survival: 1
    Auristics: 1

Lore
  • Ring of Change: transformation times.
  • Amulet of Desire: Can glow.
  • Mathias: A Founder of Syka.
  • Syka: Settlers are expected to contribute.
  • Quzon: Believes he could be a scholar.
  • Quzon: Accepting s job as Geologist for Syka.
  • Mathias: wilderness survivalist and a priest of Xhyvas.
  • Xhyvas: Unknown Deity.
  • Amulet of Desire: Glows in direction of desired object.
  • Quzon: Can hunt down Whiptail with Amulet.
  • Amulet of Desire: Has limited range.
  • Ring of Change: Earth Velispar land swimming.
  • Geology: Mineral Mica location in Syka.
  • Wilderness Survival: Use Amulet of Desire like compass.
  • Geology: Alternating patterns in sedimentary rocks to find ore.
  • Geology: physical properties of Ironstone.
  • Geology: Finding Iron ore.
  • Geology: Finding feldspar around iron ore.
  • Auristics: Aura of Iron ore.
  • Auristics: Tired after a single novice use.

Quzon
Victory & Power

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)