Closed Syka Likes It Hot

(Gossamer) Ines finds herself in Syka a few seasons after gaining Phylonura.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Syka Likes It Hot

Postby Ines on June 24th, 2019, 1:47 am

Summer 3rd, 519AV

It was apparent that not many new arrivals came first from the rainforest and out onto the beach when Ines found the small settlement. Her clan had urged her out of the Myrian lands around Taloba, with the sentiment that Caiyha would mark her where she wanted her to be - far from the city she called her home. She didn't travel alone for much of the journey, but a handful of days before the bat arrived, she had been by herself.

Loneliness brought on by rapid growth was not much to prepare the Kelvic for the loneliness she found without her family. Even so, her despair was short lived, for each tree she laid her hands on seemed to be rooting for her journey, and each monkey, or snake, or macaw whose eyes she caught reminded her that with Caiyha, in a land so abundant with life as the tropics, she was never alone.

Ines' appearance was preceded by a short, but heavy, rainfall, and as a result, her hair and shirt clung to her more like she had been clothed in spiderwebs rather than cloth. As the kelvic breached the line of forest into the sun, she took stock of her surroundings and saw what looked like a large, flat, open tree-house, and a man making repairs on the stairs. He appeared unarmed apart from the hammer in his hand, but the bat did not want to assume and make a mistake that could cost her her life. Even the brief time spent in the unadulterated sea breeze and morning sunlight were enough to have almost dried her clothing. Hair was another matter, but it was no longer so damp as to stick to her face.

In her approach, she noticed more people on the treehouse, none of whom had noticed her egress from the jungle. The kelvic had very little, if any, interaction with people outside of Taloba. She could speak common as well as anyone taught solely by non-native speakers, but there was a chance that those here didn't speak any common at all. Perhaps she should have paid more attention to games of charades played during seasonal celebrations. She would have rathered not to bother with others or outsiders at all, if not for the fact that she was very under-suited to living in the wilderness. Especially alone.

Her shirt left her forearms clearly visible, including her Phylonura gnosis. Ines thought, if anything, they would recognize the mark of such a prevalent goddess and receive her with little difficulty. The bat started walking towards the stairs of the treehouse, towards the man making repairs. If anything, he was the closest and could perhaps give her directions to the closest person who spoke Myrian. They were on Falyndar, after all, their presence was certainly not unnoticed by the locals.

Ines, squinting from the sun, with her face just so slightly flushed from the heat and shiny with sweat, shouted a simple "Hello?" in her chronically under-spoken Common. "Can I live here?"
Ines
sexy dracula

Words: 152937
Joined roleplay: May 2nd, 2017, 10:41 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (2) Overlored (1)

Syka Likes It Hot

Postby Gossamer on June 29th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Randal had been working most of the late morning. The summer sun in Syka wasn’t kind so he tended to work well into the evening after the sun had started waning and rose well before it got up, starting whatever project he was working on by torchlight and then quitting when it got too hot for the day. Subsequently, he’d been at his stairway repair most of the morning. It wasn’t like him to let someone sneak up on him, but the hammering new twisted vines into the railing had kept him distracted and his attention focused away from his safety and more on his home. To that end, he glanced up, startled, and rose to his full height from where he’d been bent over hammering.

He looked over the young woman, noting her heritage looks and her strange under-spoken common. She was as sweaty as he was, though she wasn’t stripped from the waist down like himself. He offered her a quick spontaneous smile, quirked up an eyebrow, and decided further questions were in order. “Hello there yourself. I’m Randal Zor. And if you don’t mind, before I answer your question, can I ask you a few more?” He said, looking thoughtful. Then he beckoned her forward.

“If your hungry or thirsty I have cold water on the table up here on the balcony and fresh fruit. There’s dried pig too if you don’t mind jerky. You look like you’ve been… traveling?” He added, setting aside his hammer and unslinging his belt that consisted of a nail pouch and a few more instruments mostly carpentry orientated. He kept the big kukri strapped at his hip. He hung the hammer and the belt on the railing, to mark his place where he was and just gestured her to come on up.

“I’d love to know who you are and where you came from. And more importantly, why you want to stay. You look Myrian – thought that might be an assumption and I’m sorry if it is – but you need to know that this place is one of welcoming. We keep conflict set aside. There are both Dhani and Myrians here and they do not bring their race wars within our boarders.” He added, hoping she’d come up. The Myrians and Dhani had been at war as long as the world could remember. Though, secretly, he didn’t deny the Dhani their prejudiced since the whole of the Myrian Nation had driven them below ground and surrounded their last remaining stronghold – killing all who ventured out of it.

Randal retreated so she’d have an easy pass up the stairway and if she did hit the balcony, she’d find him pouring her fresh cool water from an ice filled flask hanging off a chair. He also took a mango for himself and was busy peeling it with his Kukri, nibbling on the juicy slices.

The balcony was tastefully done with minimalistic furniture of a masculine flare. There was heavy comfortable wood pieces that spilled out of an open concept bungalow with no true doors or windows. A table anchored the whole thing, surrounded by large framed chairs that would make Ines feel like a child perched in one. Randal, used to shy strangers wandering out of the jungle, had placed himself on the far side of the table – well away from her – giving her room to roam around, look at everything and yet bolt down the stairs if she felt threatened.

“I indeed have the ability to say you can stay, but we require people that live here to give something back to the settlement… a skill, a talent… something like healing, building, even the making of pottery or the weaving of blankets. Can you offer something to the settlement if we take you in?” He asked, wanting to get all of this questioning out of the way.

He only hoped she’d easily give her name and the answers.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Syka Likes It Hot

Postby Ines on June 30th, 2019, 12:49 am

wc: 403

Ines nodded in response when Randal asked if he could ask more questions himself. She also followed him up the stairs, immediately gravitating to the jerky and water offered. There was enough fruit freely available in the tropical forest, but the kelvic was craving something salty. She did not take much time to look around, lured in by the idea of food and cold water.

"I am from Taloba, but I am not a Myrian." the bat started, pausing to chew a bite of jerky. "Ines of the Ivory Tusk." This was followed with a long sip of water. "I do not want to start fights. I came here for a different purpose." The kelvic presented her mark of Phylonura, the mother and child Tskanna pair eating the nearby foliage. The kelvic was not sure why she still introduced herself as 'of the Ivory Tusk', as her clan had told her that she should remove herself from Myrian society to better further Caiyha's goals. She disagreed with this at first, and still now, because for what other purpose would the goddess gift the Myrians with the Tskanna if they were not furthering her goals already?

It was during mid-sentence explanation that she needed to have a useful skill to live in the settlement that the bat heard the low rumbling, followed by a much louder trumpet, characteristic of the many elephants she grew up with. Ines stood up, looking out and around the light curtains around the otherwise open bungalow. Even being an entirely different species of animal herself, elephants and tskannas and ashtas were a close second for the spot of favorite.

"You have elephants here?" Ines asked, ignoring his question until he answered her own. Moments later, she spotted her quarry - ashta came out of the jungles nearby and the witch beamed a rare, wide, teethy smile, her razor sharp incisors on full view for just a flash. "No, better...ashta!"

The bat looked back at Randal. "In my home, my family and I raised the Astha and Tskanna. I did not know they would be here, too. I thought they were in the mountains, if not in the city." The kelvic was practically vibrating with excitement to see more of the leafy-eared beasts. Perhaps the city could feel much closer to home than she expected. Randal's question all but forgotten, the witch ran out to greet the large new arrivals.
Ines
sexy dracula

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Syka Likes It Hot

Postby Gossamer on July 8th, 2019, 2:08 am

Randal had to admit he was a bit confused. Ines claimed she wasn’t Myrian but looked Myrian and introduced herself with a Myrian clan. Didn’t that make one Myrian? Also, she said she was from Taloba. In his experience, if it walked like a duck, quacked like a duck, and swam in a lake, and layed duck eggs it was probably a duck. “How is a person from Taloba, part of a clan, not be Myrian?” He asked curiously, derailing her on the ashta for a while because it simply wasn’t that important to him in the moment. What was more important was the peace he tried to keep between the Dhani and the Myrian who warred with each other. He believed her when she said she didn’t want to start fights, but he had to be certain. The safety and peace of the settlement demanded it.

“It’s very nice to meet you, Ines.” Randal said softly, smiling and studying her intently as if he could manifest her motivations and know just exactly what her motivations for being here were. He took her at face value though, listening to her answers and nodding in understanding.

“We have Ashta. Lars at the saw mill uses them for moving wood and hauling timber in from the jungle to cut for wood for our settlements.” He explained. “We have no big ones, not the ones I’ve heard tales of from the Myrian… the big ones.” Randal said, looking thoughtful. “Lars’ beasts are gentle, kind, and somewhat playful. He provides a lot of useful things with them. They can be leased out to help people clear land for their claims, and almost all their manure goes to fertilize gardens around here, especially the Isuas fields.” Randal added, studying the girl.

Randal took a long drink of his own water and polished off the mango he was eating. “Lars could use a helper, I suppose… for the Ashta. Would you like to go meet him? That animal isn’t supposed to be here and I imagine Lars will be looking for….” Randal strained to identify the sex. “… him soon enough.” The founder said, turning around to glance at Ines. “Since your family raised Ashta and … Tskanna… I don’t know what that is… but lets go see what you can do?” He said, giving her a crooked grin and gesturing down to the loose animal that was now currently rummaging through what was his trash pile. The small elephant wasn’t aggressive, more curious, and had fished out a long banana frond and played with it, all the while watching the two spectators up on their lofty bungalow perch.

“I get the impression its trying to lure us down.” Lars pointed out, already slinging on his pack and picking up a few things to make the trip to the Sawmill. “Lars might be so grateful he doesn’t have to go look for that fellow that he might give you a job on the spot if you can get the creature back to him.” Randal said, smiling at Ines and making a gesture that seemed to indicate ‘after you’.

The male ashta looked mischievous. It honestly looked like it was sizing Ines up as if it had heard all her words and was trying to figure out if it could take advantage of her or not.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Syka Likes It Hot

Postby Ines on July 10th, 2019, 9:02 am

The witch practically skipped down the stairs, coming face to face with the mischevious ashta. She called back out at Randal, "I hope he is grateful enough to give me a job there. Then I can stay, yes?" The ashta started fanning her with the banana frond, almost intentionally keeping out of her reach and blocking her eyes from meeting his. Even if the ashta were small, Ines was much, much smaller, and he was having much more fun playing around with her than doing what he was supposed to. She glanced back at Randal again.

"Tskanna are the giant elephants." She held up her arm, now with the intention of showing him the giant, practically living six tusked mother and tusk-less calf on her arm. "Twice as tall as him." The kelvic pointed at the ashta who had begun to fan them even more furiously once he realized that she had stopped paying attention to him. She tried approaching him again, cooing soft words in Myrian until she finally caught his eyes and issued a gentle command. Follow me. She could feel his acknowledgement back, but he was still intent on carrying the big leaf and fooling around some more. Still, the bat was satisfied, and she began walking up the beach from the direction the ashta had come, one of her hands patting the beast as they walked. She wasn't sure how long the journey was supposed to take, but it was likely it'd take much longer as the ashta stopped to either fan or hit various things with the frond. Occasionally it dropped it to rifle through something interesting on the walk, but it always picked it back up.

"Where is the sawmill?" She posed the question, giving barely enough time to answer before she deluged Randal with the rest. "What is 'Isuas'? Who is Lars? How did he get these ashta? How have you not been invaded and ki—" Ines was forced to pause when the ashta swung its head and trunk around and thwacked her in the face with the banana frond. Even he thought it was too many questions, and the kelvic knew ashta to be the clingiest and neediest of the animals she had known in Taloba. She felt that it wasn't her fault, she hadn't spoken to anyone for at least a day or two, and she was in a new part of Falyndar. She also felt that her use of Common had begun to warm up, and she knew that the more she used it, the easier it'd get. The hit to the face did little to harm the witch, but it was successful with its intended purpose - to shut her up.

Ines elbowed the ashta, like one might do to a friend telling a friendly joke, but at your expense. He emitted a sort of snorting-trumpet sound, and she couldn't help but think he was laughing, too. "Okay, okay...I know I talk too much, I know."

Further up the beach, Ines noticed a cluster of hand-hewn but neat and clean looking buildings. As her gaze traveled back around the trio, she began noticing hanging seats and swings in the trees and scattered all around the beach. The breeze was pleasant, and the trees provided a comfortable shade. The kelvic's hair and clothes were entirely dried by now, and the bat made an attempt of flattening and brushing her hair with her fingers. Much of her earlier energy had dissipated after her original excited outburst, and her demeanor was tangibly more temperate.

"It looks nice here." She offered, once Randal finished answering her questions. "I think he knew I was going to come and wanted to greet me." Ines stroked the creature's trunk, the rough and wrinkly skin proving to be comfortably familiar and reassuring. It was only a momentary gesture, because soon after the mischievous ashta left her side and decided to push into a nearby swing hard enough to make the pillows fall out.
Ines
sexy dracula

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Syka Likes It Hot

Postby Gossamer on July 20th, 2019, 2:22 pm

What Ines could tell right away was that the little bull ashta wasn’t mean at all. It was playful, curious and healthy. That was utterly indicative that it had been taken care of well and fit into the settlement in a way where its work was valued and it wasn’t abused. It had no scars other than the ones a young male elephant would have roaming the jungle. It offered her the frond – upside the head – and then took it back, trying to get her to want it. And the fact that Randal didn’t seem to upset to see it roaming away from its little herd was also a sign of how laid back and relaxed the settlement was.

“The Sawmill is all the way up the cobbled pathway in the north. This bull has wandered quite a ways. Isuas is a plant we grow here that we turn into a cloth that is stronger and lighter than cotton, thus more durable and suited to our climate. Lars is our Sawmill foreman. He just came out of the jungle one day with these Ashta. I don’t know exactly where he got them, but I do know they are invaluable because they can lift and move a lot of things.” Randal said, joining the girl urging the Ashta onto a trail that lead a short distance to the commons.

The creature didn’t seem to be giving her any trouble. It just ambled happily after, as if glad to have something to do and someplace to go.

“I don’t mind the conversation. I also like answering questions.” Randal said, giving her a smile and reaching out and patting the ashta’s leg affectionately as the three of them lumbered at the beasts pace into the Commons. “I wish I could remember this one’s name. They all have them.” He assured her, gesturing. “See this is The Commons. If you would have came by sea, the dock there is where you would have tied up.” Randal said, giving her a bit of a tour before passing onward.

“We have a communal forge, kitchen, guest quarters, water storage, events center, a kiln, and a fish cleaning station. That big building off Swing Beach there… that’s the Tidepool Bar. It’s the only place you can get a decent meal and drink unless someone’s cooking in the kitchen. Generally if someone’s cooking there, you are welcome to come eat. I heard the Rangers killed a rather large python in one of the streams earlier today so I suspect we’ll all be eating snake for dinner. One of those things can feed all of us with leftovers, even if there are sailors visiting.” Randal said, leading her onward.

He was like a tour guide, pointing out things as they walked. The cobbled pathway snaked past a Mercantile that Randal pointed out, a series of steaming water pools that looked amazingly comfortable and had two people already bathing in them. Then he pointed out through the trees a bungalow on the headlands that he said was another Founders… Mathias. The path wove through some bungalows that looked to be all of the same design before it flat out opened up and they walked… and walked and walked… skating the beach. They passed more housing that was over the waters which Randal called Ranchos, then turned north. Trails snaked off the main cobbled pathway. The first one lead to something called Sharktooth point, while the second one went somewhere Randal said was a beach containing a lot of pigs.

The little bull followed contentedly and once they turned north bullied his way to the lead, tuffed tail lashing happily as he called out only to receive answering calls by other Ashta in the distance. He didn’t play around anymore after Randal’s place once they were moving. And it was obvious the creature had just been bored and had gone looking for something to entertain him. Going somewhere, even if it was being taken home, was entertainment in spades for the young creature.

The cobbled pathway intersected another cobbled pathway, in a T formation, but Randal took neither the right nor the left path. Instead, he simply walked off the trail and into the trees which were opened by numerous Ashta tracks. The vegetation opened up and they passed stacks of logs and finally came into a clearing with a small covered saw mill that was currently not running. A man was working on it with a wrench.

A newly built bungalow, and a large mulling area for Ashta. A stream flows through the clearing providing a waterwheel for the mill and a rather large wading pool that usually has several of the ashta lounging within. The animals are not confined in any way, but are seemingly attached to the area and guarded by two larger bulls that make good watch animals over the whole facility.

Other Ashta were milling about and all wandered over to affectionately greet the newly arrived bull as if they hadn’t seen him for days.

The bungalow has very few walls, most of them open to the outside which allow the Ashta to pop into the living area of the bungalow which features a very large high ceiling for just that accommodating purpose. Without the animals the man who runs the mill would not be able to operate it with any efficiency. The animals serve to move his lumber, logs, and in cases of low water, operate his mill providing its power.

Near the mill itself is a huge pile of sawdust. Randal pointed out the sawdust and told Ines it was free to any Syka citizens that wish to use it. Near it, various carts and platforms for hauling wood rested in another covered shed.

Piles of wood line the edge of the clearing, some tarped against the frequent rains. Logs are also stacked here and there. Some are cut down to easy sizes and some have been freshly dragged in by the Ashka. There is a small shed near the bungalow that housed ashta harnessing which is kept away from nibbling rodents who could potentially ruin the leather.

Lars himself saw the bull, Randal, and the new woman and set down his tools. He grinned, and gestured at the mill. “We’re down again. Its being finicky. I have spare parts on order from the Svefra from Riverfall that should be here any day. At this rate I’ll need to reorder again before long.” He added, shaking his head.

The two men came together, shook hands and Lars stared at the bull. “Brought him back, I see? He likes to wander to the commons to see if he can find anyone to pay attention to him.” He said, shaking his head. “Thank you, Randal.” Lars added.

Randal shook his head. “Don’t thank me. We have a visitor who claims to want to stay. She’s good with them and took him in hand. Ines, this is Lars, Lars, this is Ines.” Randal introduced them. Lars offered her a smile, then a handshake, and gestured at the bull. “He’s still a baby in Ashta standards and he’s hard to keep home. His attention wanders like the wind. Thank you for seeing him safely back here.” He added, smiling once more.

The man looked tired, and one knuckle on the back of his hand was scraped. It looked like he’d been working on getting the mill fixed for hours.

“She’s good with Ashta. Her family raised them and the really big ones in Taloba. But she’s not Myrian. Don’t ask me how… “ He laughed lightly. “We were both wondering if you had work for someone with a bit of Ashta experience.” Randal said, gesturing at Ines again.

Lars laughed. “I do indeed have work… lots of work… for someone experienced. They take a lot of care, cleaning, and even this area takes a lot of cleaning. Now that we have them here, they are invaluable, but the dung piles up. I’ve gotten Tony Swiftwater to come take it to fertilize the Isuas plants, but hes so busy he only comes every five or six days. If you, young lady, can care for the Ashta and remove their droppings and deliver them to the grove when the bin gets full, I would pay you nicely for it.” He said, nodding once more to the small herd.

“They take a lot of work and trust people. I won’t tolerate any mistreatment of them either. They are good creatures, and we need them badly.” He said, turning around.

“What do you think? Any questions?” He asked carefully, smiling at Randal as if the Founder had just made his day bringing him this gem. It literally had been a shitty day, between the breakdown and the missing bull. But now things were indeed looking up. If his attention wasn’t divided all the time, he might very well get something done around the mill.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Syka Likes It Hot

Postby Ines on July 27th, 2019, 1:20 pm

wc: 823

The kelvic absorbed the answers to her myriad questions with both awe and wonder apparent on her face. The settlement was both small and spread out, evidence of people as far as the eye could see in either direction. The sand was warm, but not too hot, and the breeze from the sea was comfortable, even cool for the little bat who had spent most of her life in the middle of the dense rainforest. Even with the Ashta being put to work here, he had the same temperament as the ones in Taloba - playful, friendly, and attention-hogs, in the nicest possible way she could think it. Judging by him, they were as happy here as they were in Taloba.

"It is like you are one large clan here..." She remarked to herself in Myrian as Randal pointed out the features and functions of the settlement. She was already mentally making plans to seek out more people to teach her and show her how to do things the way they do them here.

Two new words came from Randal and Lars's immediate conversation; Svefra and Riverfall. They seemed to be the names of things judging by the context. She shook Lars's hand with a smile back.

"He must feel safe if he is wandering around so far from the adults." The Ashtas were weaker than normal elephants of their size because they didn't have any tusks and were just half the size of the Tskanna. They normally would not go anywhere without others, especially adults, because their main form of defending themselves was using the bony plates on their faces. The fact that a mischevious little one would wander along the beach with no protection spoke volumes for the environment he was in.

"I am not Myrian because I am a kelvic," She responded when Lars asked what she thought. "but I do not know much of anything outside of Taloba or the coast." She paused, looking around at the Ashta. She could barely hide her surprise that a foreigner could take care of them so well, and she wondered if someone else had taught him. The little bat hadn't heard of anyone in her clan teaching someone on the coast, but they weren't the only ones who had them.

"What you ask me to do is what I have done my entire life, and I am thankful that I do not have to be so far removed from the things I know." Ines lifted her forearm, showing the entanglement of vines opening into a seen with the two Tskanna playing happily in a river. Fish reacted to the tskanna and colorful birds flitted about in the background. Bright orchids and dark green mosses grew on the trees and rocks in the scene. The kelvic sometimes found it jarring to watch her gnosis, half expecting to hear sounds coming from it, like a window outside.

"Caiyha gave me her gift because of elephants, and I will not take her lightly. I will take care of the Ashta as if they are my family." Her expression was a rare visage of dead seriousness. An instant later, her expression went back to its normal, relaxed state.

"The Isuas grove, we passed it?" Ines was attempting to mentally map it may have been, and if Randal had pointed it out along with everything else. She knew the soil in the jungle was thin, the decomposing leaves providing just enough for the things that already lived there. They used the dung of the various elephants for the same purpose in her old home. The quantity and content made it excellent fertilizer. "I will help you," she decided, and nodded as she said so. "I work here and I can stay?"

After any affirmation, she inclined her head in a sort of bow. "Thank you. I am far from home, but I will be happier now that I see they are here." Afterwards, she addressed them both. "Would either of you take me to meet others, or do you need to work still?" Even if he said no, the kelvic would go visit the baths herself. The beach full of pigs was also something she wanted to keep in mind, especially because they seemed like good targets for easy midnight snacks. "I would like to meet some other of your founders."

The kelvic had no questions about the pay. She did not often have to keep track of her own money in Taloba, and she assumed a man who took such care of his beasts of burden would pay her "nicely" as he claimed. She did have one last question, though. "Also, the Ashta, what are they named?" With her gift of Nura and past knowledge of other Ashta's distinct personalities, the kelvic felt she would have no issues remembering who was who. It was important to the bat to know how to properly acknowledge each one.
Ines
sexy dracula

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Syka Likes It Hot

Postby Gossamer on September 29th, 2019, 11:10 pm

Both men nodded to her Kelvic statement. That surprised neither of them, for Syka was finding itself inundated with Kelvics which were welcome additions. They also both stepped closer to examine her gnosis mark. Caiyha’s were by far the most elaborate and it was as if the elephants playing in the water were popping out of the scene, they were so realistic. Nodding to her words, Lars looked pleased and Randal looked relieved.

“I was trying to get you some help, Lars. I did not know Caiyha had already sent someone along to assist.” He said with complete belief in what he was saying. “I should not have worried. You are so overworked here.” The Founder added, knowing his words were true. Lars nodded and offered Ines a smile.

“I knew just the right person would come along. Granted, I hoped it would be sooner than later. Sooner it is.” He smiled, reaching out and tapping Randal on the shoulder companionably. “Thank you for looking out for us, my friend. It is hard work cutting all the lumber and looking after my lumber haulers. But the community has been amazing. Many people – yourself included – have absently dropped by with food, drink, and to lend a hand when they see one is needed. Thank you for that, even if it wasn’t your doing though, I suspect it was.” He said lightly and grinned at Ines.

“I’ll pay you 5 mizas a day and Randal will arrange for you some housing before you claim land. I hope you will claim some land close. And depending upon what sort of Kelvic you are, there might be room in my bungalow, which is quite spacious, if you need a place to sleep for a while.” He added, generous and thankful at what he thought would be a superior arrangement. How could he have even hoped a Myrian trained elephant handler would be along to care for his little ashta? It was almost too good to be true.

“The Ashta know the way to the grove. You load up the cart, harness them up, and they will take you there. They are a lot smarter than most people give them credit for. They do, after all, shit all in one place and never urinate where they are sleeping.” He added, gesturing to the dung cart parked off to one side along with carts designed to haul lumber. Harness hung in a storage rack nearby as well. All this he sort of gestured too in one sweep of his arms.

Randal laughed at her question about working here and staying. “Not only can you work here and stay, but you are more than welcome. We’ve needed someone of your skillset for a long time.” He added, smiling slightly. He hoped much of what he said hadn’t gotten lost in Ines’ poor grasp of common.

Lars spoke up at Ines’ last question, knowing he was too busy to take Ines around, but Randal most likely would do it. “We have two young bulls and five cows. The bulls are Laski and Ivas. The cows are Tizzy, Ava, Nea, Crom, and Ink. Ink has a stain that looks like spilled ink beneath her chin.” He said, pointing out each individual animal as he did so. They all looked roughly the same to an outsider not used to Ashta, but Ines would be able to tell the difference. Lars smiled and said again…. “Why don’t you start tomorrow. You’ve already saved me time not having to hunt Ivas down today. He’s our wayward young man. His fellow bull is far more timid.” He said, then gestured to Randal.

“Take her on a tour then? More so than you’ve already done?” Lars asked, nodding towards Ines. Randal smiled and nodded.

“We can probably find just about everyone at the Tidepool Bar by now. I know James and Mathias are probably there by now. I can point out more sights along the way as we go.” He added. Then he gestured to Ines. “What would you like to see? I can show you all the known points between here and The Tidepool. Mainly everything you need is on the pathway. Its not much of a road, but I can also take a side trip and show you the beach with all the pigs and maybe the jungle mounds. There’s other things, but the most important things you’ve already seen besides the community pool. Our main settlement is all wrapped around the Syka Commons. And you saw that coming in from my place. Seeing the healer might be a good idea too. If you get hurt, you need to know where to go.” He added, then waited for her to pipe up and say what she might or might not want to see.

Once she did so, they’d get started.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Syka Likes It Hot

Postby Ines on January 18th, 2020, 2:40 am

wc: 533

"Yes, smart. I love the names." Ines smiled. "Ashta do not work at Taloba. We think they small elephant." She pat Ivas, who towered over the bat at nearly twice her height. So tiny. She could feel that he loved all the attention he was receiving today. "They spoiled there." She had picked up most of what Lars had said - she was more used to listening to Common than she was speaking it. It was often used with the younger adult Myrians. She knew what Mizas were, too, and their exchange rate, but she had only ever used Bikka herself. Each Ashta had their own unique pattern of green veins on their large ears, their own pattern of bony ridges, and their own way their skin wrinkled. She could already see the differences.

"Good, I will help. I love them." She said, referring to the Ashta. What she caught from Lars and Randal talking was that they were both exceptionally busy. It was a funny coincidence that she popped out of the jungle, ready and knowledgeable, for a job that was already desired. "I want no land. I do not think it is mine to take." The witch added, uncomfortable at the thought of having land that was "hers" when she knew nearly everything in it would be Caiyha's. She gestured to Lars' bungalow off to the side of the mill. "I am a bat, I just sleep in corner." Staying in his home with her belongings stored away somewhere seemed like the best arrangement to her. The vampire bat always liked sleeping in her animal form more than anything - it was easy to hide away and more comfortable than most arrangements one could make to sleep as a person, especially while traveling, but even now where she could potentially have a static bed. If anything, she'd sleep in a hammock.

"I want see the pigs, bar, mounds, everything." Pigs were easy feeding, especially at night. Whatever these pigs were doing in the coastal settlement, it was unlikely they were developing vampire-bat-teeth resistant hides. "Meet everyone is good, too." She wanted to get her bearings of this new place. She hadn't even been aware of Syka until her clan had pushed her to it, and now she was left alone. On the bright side, they seemed to be very happy for her to be there. The Kelvic wasn't going to waste this welcome.

It was going to be tough to get used to the coast, too. The weather was already much different than what she had been used to in Taloba, and it was increasingly more different as she had traveled out to the coast. The witch was a bit scared of the sea. It was huge, wide open, and dark, dark, dark. Learning how to swim in it seemed both scary and unfortunately necessary.

Ines wasn't sure where they were going to go first, but she dropped everything she was carrying in Lars's bungalow before they left. Realizing the small size of the settlement, she was surprised that they had a road at all and confused about how they ever managed to put it in place to begin with.
Ines
sexy dracula

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes