Closed There's Nothing Like a Good Welcome

A new start for some at the Cosmos Centre

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

There's Nothing Like a Good Welcome

Postby Ennisa on September 14th, 2019, 4:35 pm

2nd Autumn 519 AV

Ennisa was fairly skipping along Lhavit's twisting paths. The beginning of the season held fresh promise, excitement. Money, also. She was on her way to the Cosmos Centre to acquire that money. Or rather, to do the work to gain the money at the end of the season, because Ennisa had a new job.

It was a bit of trek from Zintia to Sartu Peak, but Ennisa had made most of the journey already. She took the last few steps to her new place of work, and took a few moments to appreciate the wonderful building before heading inside. It was a pretty building, like most places in Lhavit, and it was further prettified by elaborate carvings in a pale stone. Ennisa was quite familiar with it, but it was nevertheless an extraordinary building if you had the time to stop and look at it.

She didn't.

Instead, she stepped within the building, and walked across the hard stone floor towards the wooden desks where she had been instructed to arrive at that morning. Stood there, her gingery hair standing out around her like a fluffy cloud, was Youchi, the head of the Cosmos Centre. Ennisa strode forwards as soon as she saw her there, and beamed a greeting. "Hello again, Youchi! Thank you for giving me this opportunity. I'm ready to start - what would you like me to do first?"

Youchi smiled in response, a carefully crafted greeting, and nodded gracefully. "Good morning. It was Ennisa, wasn't it?" Ennisa confirmed that was her name. Youchi continued, her voice warmed a little as she continued talking, "One of our recent secretaries, Samii, has taken her leave to care for her newborn child, so you'll be taking on some of her duties whilst she's away. Once Samii's returned to us, I'm sure you will have settled here well enough to find you a role of your very own."

Youchi continued before Ennisa had time to interject, "Samii's desk is here. You'll come in every morning and work until the dusk rest, when you'll swap with Drurion, who usually staffs at night. I think he just prefers it that way round, don't ask me why." Youchi playfully rolled her eyes, which Ennisa presumed was some in-joke. She laughed politely too, feeling slightly lost. To try and get to grips with her extremely new situation, she figured it would be best to understand her role a little better.

With that in mind she asked, "What am I to do first?" Youchi motioned her over to the desk, which was carefully organised with papers in neat stacks, and a small pot of ink set atop the well-worn wooden surface. She pulled free a small wad of papers that were on the top and placed them in Ennisa's hands. "Have a look through. These are documents on some of the residential properties that are available for sale or rent. You'll need to work through them, create a list, check to make sure all the details make sense, and arrange that stack into a single sheet with the properties listed in price order. The stack of papers need to be arranged in the same way so that if I was to flick through, I could easily find the right document. You'll be making an index of sorts, I suppose."

Ennisa understood and sat down promptly at the desk. Youchi, although brisk, was also quite friendly, so when she asked Ennisa if she was happy, she could quite easily respond in the positive. "Yes, absolutely fine, thanks Youchi. If I have any questions..?"
"Come and find me, I'll do what I can."

Just then, a bell tinkled, and the red-headed woman was called away with a breezy, "Coming!" Ennisa was left by herself, and she rested the stack of papers down on the desk in front of herself. On the desk nearest to her, a shrubbily-eyebrowed man with ink-splattered hands muttered a rough, distracted welcome in her general direction, then that was it - time to dive into her work.

WC: 672/2500
Sharai | Shinyama | Zintia (home) | Tenten | Sartu (work)
4-6, Dawn Rest | 10-12, Noon Rest | 16-18, Dusk Rest | 22-24, Midnight Rest

Ennisa
Miss Chievious

Words: 261967
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2019, 11:05 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Ennisa on September 16th, 2019, 4:52 pm

She began by flicking through the stack that Youchi had placed in her hands. Most of the sheets were well-worn. Some pieces of parchment looked like they had been scraped clean to be reused. Others, the ink was scratched hard into the surface, over the top of faint lines from when it had been used previously. Some were fresher and new, with neat, flowery script spilling across the creamy surface of the paper. Despite the state that most of the parchments were in, to Ennisa, merely having such a stack of paper was a luxury in itself. It wasn't something she could afford right this moment.

She looked more closely at the writing now. The first notice was poor quality. The handwriting was shaky and blotchy, where the writer's nib had caught on the pits and lines of the cheap paper. It was bad enough that it was difficult for Ennisa to actually read. She squinted, peered closer, as she tried to discern what the listing was. She skimmed over the fluff at the beginning, all the 'addressed to blah-di-blah' and ' I draw this to your attention' stuff that was of no importance. The useful part of the notice was the section where the writer was listing the property. Apparently, the man's wife had died, and he was now going to stay with his eldest child. His house was being sold to provide a bit of extra kina to his children.

Ennisa pulled up a fresh sheet of paper, briefly marvelled at the quality, and then dipped the quill into the ink. Carefully, she wrote down the name of the seller, the location of the house (which was in the Okomo Estates) and the price he was asking for. She drew the nib across the paper slowly. She had to concentrate, as her writing had never been very good as a child, and she was somewhat out of practice. As she was going quite slowly, the ink often dried out, so she had to re-dip to get enough ink to flow.

With the first entry down, she set aside the notice she had already read in a pile all by itself, facing upside-down so that she knew it was one she had already looked at. The list she was compiling initially was bound to be higgledy-piggledy, so she wasn't that bothered if she got the price listing in order. She decided it would be best to jot everything down first in their list, then write a separate sheet in order.

And neater. She winced at her shaky handwriting, little better than the old man's. At least had the excuse of old age. She cursed under her breath, ignored the snide glance from her colleague, and picked up the next notice. This one was better quality, definitely, and the handwriting looked more professional. The listing described three apartments that had become available to rent at the Solar Winds Apartments. The writing had pretty loops and flowed, rather than each letter separate. Ennisa liked that. She dipped the nib in the ink, and started to jot down the details, going carefully as always. This time, she tried to add a few curling loops to her script.

It didn't go well. The pen didn't seem to want to flow as how she imagined it should. Ennisa felt like cursing again, but after all, she had all day to get it right. That thought calmed her, and she continued to write. After a while, the ink bled into her fingers, giving her that distinctive look of a scribe.

WC: (672)+594=1266

Ennisa
Miss Chievious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Ennisa on September 20th, 2019, 4:21 pm

"speech"

Despite the initial frustration, there was something incredibly satisfying about putting ink to paper. The way that the ink sometimes bled, sometimes thinned to the thickness of a spider's web. The way that the pen sometimes ran smoothly, other times jumped and splatted under pressure from Ennisa's poor skill in writing.

The satisfaction came from overcoming a mistake. That came as she was writing out the details of some poor lady's property, which had transferred over to the lady's child when she had died in a fever in the spring. The child had gone to live with their uncle and aunt, but to help with paying the bills incurred from raising a child, they had been forced to sell the home. As she read, she picked out and marked the sections she needed to write down with her finger. Here, here, and... here.

Before she put the details on her list however, she reached for a scrap of paper that her desk-mate Samii had previously used to scribble upon. She turned this so that the cleaner side was facing upwards, and dipped the nib into the ink. She tapped it a few times to knock off the excess liquid, and then set the nib to the paper to do a few practice squiggles.

At first, she drew whole words, going slow enough to get the consistency she wanted. Then, underneath, she chose a few letters, A and E, and wrote these in long loops, as she remembered she learned to do when she was younger. Gradually, as she filled up the slip of paper, she got better, until she was moving the quill quite speedily.

Now that she was satisfied with her practice (and also having run out of space on the scrap of paper), she noted down the details from the notice. She was still slow, and she recognised she would probably be slow for a good long while yet as she re-accustomed herself with writing, but she was pleased as punch when she didn't cause one splatter in the sentence she had just written.

Practice obviously helped. She decided then and there to see if she could purchase a book of some kind at some point, because she would be damned if she was going to stay an amateur forever. Ennisa was, if nothing else, an ambitious gal.

Her job ticked on. From time to time, someone came into the Cosmos Centre. Some were locals, despite the Centre's role as a welcome point for newcomers and visitors. Some were newcomers, or simply foreigners who had lived in Lhavit for a short while. She was concentrating, of course, but whenever the door opened she instinctively looked up to see who it was. As well as the other workers, who ranged from the age of a teenage boy up to Mr Grumpy sat next to her, she had seen a variety of new people and new faces. It was quite refreshing to be out of Itzi's apartment for a change, and to see all these strangers.

Ennisa hadn't seen Youchi since the morning though, so it was a surprise to see her when a rather portly woman with a ruddy face and equally ruddy hair dinged rapidly on the bell that sat at the welcome desk. The pair had a brief, if overly wordy exchange, whilst Ennisa tried to focus on the job at hand. She had got partway through the stack, and she was pleased with the list she was compiling. The only issue was that she would probably not be able to fit all the information onto one page, unless she shrunk her writing size...

Yet before she could pick up the next sheet, Youchi arrived at her desk, her mouth set into a strangely determined smile. Before Ennisa could ask what she needed, Youchi said, "Could I borrow you for a moment, Ennisa? I have a lady here who would like a short tour around Sartu Peak. I've let her know that you would be free to give her a brief tour. Would you? Thanks, Ennisa."

WC: (1266) + 679 = 1945/2500

Ennisa
Miss Chievious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Ennisa on September 23rd, 2019, 4:01 pm

"speech"

She blinked a couple of times, looked down at the sheet in her hand, looked up at Youchi, back down at the paper, back up at Youchi... There was a sense of pleading in her expression, and combined with the fact that Ennisa was the employee, not the employer, she set her work down temporarily and enthused, "Absolutely, Youchi!" It would be nice to get outside to get a bit of fresh air and have a stretch as well, she thought.

It seemed she had been toiling over the task for longer than she realised, for when she stood up and briefly glanced out through the open door, the sun was a fair bit further along than when she had last seen it. She didn't have much time to linger staring at the scenery before the portly woman came striding over. Her face was almost exactly round, was the first thing she noticed about her, and her hair was puffy and sprang out in tight, bright ginger ringlets.

"HELLO," she boomed, in a voice that was surprisingly melodious despite its volume. Ennisa smiled as courteously as she could manage, and replied politely, "Hello, how do you do? My name is Ennisa. Madam Youchi appointed me to be your guide on Sartu Peak today. Have you been in Lhavit long madam?" The lady began walking authoritatively towards the exit almost as soon as Ennisa had finished her introduction. Blimey, she thought. It was turning out to be an interesting day.

"Yes, young woman. I have been in Lhavit for one," she counted on her stubby fingers, "Two, three, four - yes, four days now. We, that is, Stuart and I, arrived with the rest of the crew. I've had to nurse him back to health for all four of those days!" Rather than sounding pleased that Stuart was better, whoever he was, the as-of-yet unnamed woman sounded rather peeved. Perhaps she had better things to do. Ennisa followed as best she could, trying to get in front or at least to the side of the lady, so that she could be some kind of effective guide.

They had walked a few feet out of the Cosmos Centre when the stout woman stopped dead and turned to fix her beady gaze on Ennisa. Almost without meaning to, she noticed that the woman's eyebrows were as ginger and curly as the hair on the top of her head. She bit her tongue to stop herself from smiling. "Aah, yes, let me show you around, madam."

Where to start? Ennisa figured that the woman had arrived either at the Amaranthine Gate, or Port Tranquil, so there wasn't much point going to either of those two places. She also remembered Youchi stressing the need for it to be a short tour, so not too much walking. She racked her brains trying to think where would be appropriate for a lady of her... stature. She finally settled on the Starglow Spa, on the western side of the peak.

"First, madam, we will venture to the Starglow Spa, where you can relax and pamper after your stressful voyage. Along the way, I will point out the start of the Trail of Waterfalls, which is a lovely walk that goes all throughout Lhavit. On the way, I will also be able to point out the Twilight Tower, if magic is of any interest to you." She turned to smile encouragingly at the woman, who merely inclined her head as if to say, "Get on with it," though she didn't actually say this out loud, to Ennisa's relief.

WC: (1945) + 598 = 2543/2500

Ennisa
Miss Chievious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Ennisa on September 23rd, 2019, 4:31 pm

"speech"

Ennisa wasn't at all an accomplished tour guide. She was a native of Lhavit, which meant she knew a lot of different places within the city, but she didn't often have to navigate with a particular route in mind. Youchi had asked for a short tour, and Ennisa was inclined to want the same after having spent a few chimes with the lady. However, she was unsure what would be the best route to take. After all, wasn't she supposed to know?

She hummed under her breath as she walked. Thankfully, the woman was a fast walker, and didn't seem to be the chatty type, which left Ennisa with plenty of time to mentally plot the route. They followed a narrow path that led between some buildings that were low-rise. Somewhere up ahead, Ennisa was certain there was a left turning (or was it right?) that would lead her close to the entrance to the Trail of Waterfalls, just like she'd promised.

If she was wrong, she could simply try and gloss over that one, and hope the woman hadn't been paying attention. She snorted to herself. There was little chance of that. If nothing else, the ginger lady certainly seemed sharper than she looked. The lady in question suddenly burst out, saying, "Young lady, I hope you know where you're going. I asked for Youchi in particular, after I heard Branita mention she was the best, but she did say she was extremely busy." Ennisa nodded as reassuringly as she could, and said, "Oh, absolutely. I have lived in Lhavit all my life. We will be at the Spa in no time, madam."

She seemed mostly satisfied with the response, which gave Ennisa time to walk with her up to the turned she had remembered and to turn left before their next social interaction. The inclination grew steeper as Ennisa led the ginger woman up the mountain to access the footpath she had in mind. Every time she glanced back to check she was being followed, the portly lady was right behind her, but as they walked further, the slope began to catch up with her.

Ennisa slowed down and stopped beside a small statue of an unknown woman that was positioned outside someone's home. In the distance, to her pleasure, the very tip of the Twilight Tower could be seen, so she made it seem as if she had stopped at this spot on purpose. "There, madam. That roof you can just see over there is the Twilight Tower. Are you familiar with magic? It can be a delicate subject for some."

The lady paused and caught her breath. Her skin was dangerously red; obviously the brisk hiking was wearing her down a little more than she cared to admit, to herself or anyone else around her. Nevertheless, once she had relaxed a little she straightened and stared down the bridge of her be-freckled nose in what Ennisa was learning was her typical direct manner, she said, "Well, yes, young woman. Magic is dangerous, after all, but I am in Lhavit to learn more of magic. I am seeking tutorage in Auristics. Where could I find such a place?"

Busted. Ennisa had to sigh, and apologise, "I'm afraid I'm unsure of that one, madam. I don't understand magic myself, and although I am aware of the Towers politicking, which magic they teach, I do not know..-" The ruddy-faced woman frowned, which furrowed her forehead into a series of pits and wrinkles that only made her look more severe.

"You mean to say that you don't KNOW? Bloody useless guide to the city, if I do say so myself!" She tched and crossed her arms across her plump chest. Ennisa's cheeks burned to match the madam, and inside she shut down. Up until now, the tetchiness and terseness of the woman hadn't really bothered her, in fact it had even amused her. Now that she was calling her out, it stung. Badly.

"Lead me back young woman. I'll just have to come back another day and get somebody more competent. I have to say, I'm very disappointed."

Ennisa smiled, but this time, there was no warmth at all. "Certainly, madam." She wouldn't get an apology, oh no. A woman this rude, this ridiculous? Ennisa gestured down the path they had just traversed up, and allowed the woman to stride ahead. As she walked, she decidedly put her attention on other things, but her fist was clenched tight enough for the skin to go white around the knuckles.

WC: (2545) + 758 = 3303

Ennisa
Miss Chievious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Ennisa on September 23rd, 2019, 9:36 pm

"speech"

Not a word was spoken between them. It seemed apparent that the gingery woman had said all that she wanted to say. Ennisa wasn't inclined to speak either, furious as she was with how she had been made to feel, namely embarrassed and foolish. She hated that feeling. Her blood was boiling enough; she wouldn't add arguments with a virtual stranger to the list too. They strode back to the Cosmos Centre at such a rate that Ennisa's desk neighbour looked up and was genuinely surprised when she pushed open the doors. The madam briskly approached the desk, where Youchi was there to handle the fallout of the short and ineffectual walk the two had taken.

Meanwhile, Ennisa sat down at the desk, took a few deep breaths, and looked down at the work that had been so rudely interrupted before. The contents of the papers didn't register - she just kept staring down at the words as the squiggled in front of her eyes, whilst she tried to calm herself down. She took a few breaths, then took them again but deeper this time. A slight papery smell infused the air, which went some ways to centring her.

She ignored the haughty raised voice of the now blotchy-faced madam, and the soothing tones of Youchi. She ignored the side glances from the man sat at the desk next to her. Instead, she looked down at the papers and attempted to focus.

The writing became clearer, and she began to look a little closer. The details came to her as she scanned the page - a simple room to rent, at the Solar Winds, consisting of bed, desk, chair, hearth. A balcony too. Ennisa jotted down the price, the listing, and the name of the person to contact, which was Hesper. She pondered over the name. Ennisa had lived at the Solar Winds for a few years now, but had only heard of the owner's name in passing since the first and only time she had needed to speak to him, when she first agreed the letting with Itzi.

Hesper. She struggled to remember what the man had been like. Not that it really matters at the moment. She set the thought aside for later, and moved onto the next notice. In doing so, she found herself beginning to forget the rude woman. The event would probably come back later, when Youchi would likely come and fire her for being a useless staff member, but she would do the job for now, and hope for the best.

She scribbled down the next notice, then the next. Her font was beginning to improve, although not really enough to be noticeable to the casual observer. Ennisa saw it though, which made her happy. There was definitely a lot to be said for the simple yet strangely elaborate of writing.

She kept working. People milled around. The madam left, a haughty puff of wind, gone now. Youchi lingered, perhaps debating what to make of the furiously studious Ennisa, pouring over her little scraps of paper, ink-stained fingers scratch-scratching away. Colleagues worked on their own tasks or assisted the various visitors and citizens of Lhavit as they wandered into the Cosmos Centre.

When the sun was mid-way through its descent, Ennisa finally compiled the first draft of the housing list. It comprised of two sheets, or rather, one sheet with writing on both sides of the paper, a decision she would not transfer to the proper copy as the ink seeped through to the other side and made reading the notes somewhat difficult. Her handwriting gradually decreased in size as she realised she would need to write smaller to fit the words onto the page. In general though, for a first draft on her first day in work, she was pleased. To her, progress seemed good. To celebrate, she arched her back and stretched. Gods, that felt good.

WC : (3303) + 652 = 3955

Ennisa
Miss Chievious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Ennisa on September 23rd, 2019, 10:07 pm

"speech"

She was feeling a little more refreshed now. She wrung her hands a little to loosen the cramp that came from pinching a narrow quill, stretched out her fingers a few times, and then withdrew a fresh sheet of parchment. It was crisp and dry, just ready for fresh ink to go down. But wait! She had almost forgotten. Her list was not in the order Youchi had asked for. She pulled over her list.

First, she would have to figure out the order, then she could copy it across. She scanned over her writing, reading each line and underlining the price section, so she could see it more clearly when she looked back. She scored slightly wonky and squiggly lines, because she hadn't quite got to grips with free-hand straight lines. Next, she looked back over the page. The properties that fell in the lowest price bracket, she marked with a number 1, which she made to look separate by ringing with a little circle.

In the next price bracket, she marked those with a two in a circle, then on and on she went until all the listings had been thus marked. Now she had broken down the list into smaller lists, she absent-mindedly grabbed a sheet of scrap paper and put down the house listing with the price down for the first set. She was writing faster because neatness didn't matter when she was just doing calculations, so the script was marred with splashes and sprays of ink where the nib kept catching.

Ennisa didn't care. She finished writing the first list, and then took a good long look at the prices, until she figured out the correct order. Using a mash of lines and arrows, she wrote herself a visual reminder of the range from low to high. With the extremely rough draft to one side, she now pulled over the 'official' list and dipped the nib of the quill into the ink.

Before she started, she left a small gap right at the top, so that she could put a title in if need be, and began very carefully writing in the properties. She was going slowly, both so that the writing looked better, and so that she could concentrate on measuring how small her letters were. Speed didn't matter though. Ennisa was concentrating, and she would get it right.

When she had finished the first price bracket, she set the quill down to one side and leaned back in the chair so that she could get a better look from further away. Her script was neat, or so she thought. The ink was hardly smudged at all, and she couldn't see any splatters. She carefully blotted the smallest dot that had yet to dry with her sleeve. There. Ennisa smiled, the smile of a woman who was truthfully and honestly happy with her work.

Now that she had gotten into the swing of things, the rest of the list writing went smoothy. There was one tiny mistake, but she scored that out and when she looked at the whole thing, she could barely notice it. She was satisfied, and it was almost time for her shift to end as well.

With a soft sigh, she wiggled her fingers. They certainly ached, especially as she was still getting used to holding a pen again; after all, it had been years since she had attended school. As she was just wondering what to do next, Youchi came walking over. All of a sudden, she remembered the madam with the ruddy face from earlier, and a shadow of her previous annoyance came back.

Yet Youchi didn't seem angry. Ennisa stood up beside her desk, and kept the finished sheet of her work close by, in case that was what her boss was here to see. Instead, the woman came over, and said, "I'm sorry to hear about what happened earlier with Mrs Saujha. I explained it was your first day on the job. Eventually she seemed to calm down." She trailed off. Ennisa kept resolutely still, her eyes lingering on Youchi's expression as she tried to fathom where the conversation was going.

"I'll get you some more transcribing tomorrow, Ennisa. It looks like you've done a fine job here today. When you come in the morning, Louis here will be around to help, should you need it. And look, here's Drurion now, here to take over your desk." She inclined her head in the direction of the door, and a young man with a mop of impossibly shiny black hair approached.

Ennisa, who was simply stunned that she got to keep the job, was even more amazed by the fact that dusk rest was already approaching. Drurion waved, and a toothy grin crossed his tanned face. "I... I'll see you tomorrow then, Youchi. Sorry about the mess I've left on the desk, Drurion." He shook his head, said something along the lines of 'it's no bother', and promptly sat down in the chair she'd only just vacated.

Youchi waved a cheerful goodbye, and Ennisa headed for the door. What a day! She didn't know what to make of it, but gods was she glad to rest, if only for her hands' sake. Tomorrow would be a brand-new day, and she was surprisingly glad to be gainfully employed. Glad to have something to look forward to.

WC : (3955) + 898 = 4853

Ennisa
Miss Chievious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on October 23rd, 2019, 5:46 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Ennisa

Skills
  • Observation: 5xp
  • Socialization: 3xp
  • Organization: 3xp
  • Writing: 4xp
  • Copying: 4xp
  • Calligraphy: 3xp
  • Planning: 2xp
  • Land Navigation: 1xp
  • Meditation: 1xp
  • Mathematics: 1xp

Lores
  • Socialization: socializing with coworkers
  • Calligraphy: adding flourish
  • Copying: tedious work
  • Socialization: pleasantries with customers
  • Planning: a sightseeing tour
  • Meditation: taking a few deep breaths
  • Mathematics: simple calculations

Awards & Retribution

Notes
Congratulations on your first completed job thread! The fact that you can wring reader interest out of a secretarial job thread speaks volumes to your skill as a writer. I look forward to more!
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)