Solo Filing for Dummies

getting to grips with the Cosmos Centre's inner workings

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Filing for Dummies

Postby Ennisa on November 9th, 2019, 1:52 pm

28th Autumn 519 AV
"speech"
"others"

"No no no, Ennisa! How many times have I told you already, all of those need to be brought to the front. Don't leave them all shoved at the back like that!" Ennisa gazed sullenly at the pipsqueak lady that was tutoring her in the Cosmos Centre's weird and wonderful filing system. The woman looked back, resolutely. The two engaged in a staring match for a tick or two, until Ennisa caved and reluctantly reached to the back of the shelf to pull all the files to the front, as instructed.

"I didn't hear you, before. You could have explained a bit better. Besides, you can still see them. What difference does it make whether they're at the back or front?" the little lady scoffed and began to start picking at Ennisa's previous work, which annoyed her greatly. "Weren't listening, for the gods' sake! Anyone would think you were deaf, girl. I don't know how you get away with working here. I would have thought that Youchi had more self-respect than to hire you."

Ennisa smarted. The woman's words did have a measure of truth, but the stinging, sarcastic manner in which she delivered them ground on Ennisa's nerves. In all honesty, she had known exactly how to arrange the disputed files, but for the past bell or so she had been stuck with the little brown-haired woman, and Ennisa didn't like being bossed around.

"There. Is that any better, Peno?" The lady in question almost stomped her foot. "My name is not Peno, it is Penelope! Ugh! Just, put these in alphabetical order as I showed you before, Ennisa. Surely even you can do that. I'll be back later." With that, Penelope shoved the mismatched pile of disarrayed papers and flounced out of the back room, presumably to calm down and complain about her to Youchi.

Ennisa giggled. She didn't care too much about what Peno had to say or do. She'd got her wish, and was now alone in the filing room. She gathered herself, and plonked the pile of folders and papers down on the table. They were old files, some of them. The short woman had gathered a bunch of different papers and folders from the filing system at random to give Ennisa the chance to learn the ropes. She knew this was the case, because she had already done this with the A - E, F - J, and the K - O files. It was now the turn of the P - T set.

The nearby table was free of anything else, as it was primarily used for the very purpose Ennisa was using it for, namely organisation. Her first task was to lay out the first handful and see what letter it was. She began to make some piles of particular letters, so that she could arrange them into order. Next, once she had five neatish piles, she picked up the P pile and began to flick through them.

Names and dates flicked past her eye. The files that she was arranging were all, or mostly, the basic details of any and all strangers that had ventured into Lhavit in the past. There wasn't much to see, and Ennisa knew she shouldn't snoop, but the temptation was stronger than she could resist. She lay the P stack down and picked one of the files on the top, marked Po.

Possam.
Date: 15 Winter 504 A.V.
Birthplace: Ravok.
Job: Musician.
Application Type: Accommodation at the Solar Winds.

Underneath the short spiel about the person, Ennisa saw a smaller scribble in a fresher-looking ink. This little tid-bit of writing simply read, Left Lhavit 30th Summer 511 A.V. Ennisa wrinkled her nose at the lack of detail, and went to grab another sheet from the Po labelled file, but was interrupted by the sound of two pairs of footsteps walking her way.

WC : 646
Sharai | Shinyama | Zintia (home) | Tenten | Sartu (work)
4-6, Dawn Rest | 10-12, Noon Rest | 16-18, Dusk Rest | 22-24, Midnight Rest

Ennisa
Miss Chievious

Words: 261967
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2019, 11:05 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Filing for Dummies

Postby Ennisa on November 9th, 2019, 2:14 pm

"speech"
"others"

She scrambled to tuck the sheet back into its place in the few ticks of warning time she was granted. As it was, she didn't have time to make herself look innocent, but all the papers were safely packaged away. She looked up, her eyes wide and her mouth plastered with as disarming a smile as she could manage. "Aah, what is it?" Ennisa's smile dropped at the expression on Penelope's face, but more especially at the equally disapproving figure of Youchi.

The owner and manager of the Cosmos Centre frowned with a small and delicate movement. Somehow, even when pulling a face, the woman managed to look pretty. Ennisa stood there stupidly, one hand loosely holding the Po marked folder, and tilted her head to listen. "Look, Ennisa. Your work has been good, so far. You've been doing a good job of filling in for Saami, especially as you've had to learn the ropes quite fast. But Penelope," here she turned her head slightly to indicate the short woman. Ennisa was annoyed to see the look of smug satisfaction on her face.

"Penelope tells me that you two have been having a bit of trouble. She tells me you're somewhat wilful. That you don't follow her instructions. That you're lazy. Now, I can't imagine that, but I also trust Penny. Can you explain yourself?" Youchi turned her soft gaze on Ennisa, and folded her hands in front of her. She looked to all the world like a gently disapproving school teacher, regarding a favoured pupil that had been caught cheating. Ennisa's look of shock as a response to the allegations was only slightly exaggerated. She gently set the folder down on the table with the rest of the work.

She considered her words carefully, hiding the hesitation with the saddened downturn of her head, before lifting her expression and speaking. There was no way that she would cave to Peno. She would rather lose her job than admit defeat. Instead, she resolved herself. She addressed Penelope first, to let the irksome woman know that she would fight her challenge to the best of her ability. "Here, I'm sorry that you feel that way, Penelope. I was doing my best. I thought that you and I made a good team, actually. I had no idea that you were unhappy with my work. Perhaps you could let me know next time, that you didn't think I was fast enough, or thorough enough? You only spent half a chime on explaining this task, but if you think we could have gone faster then, absolutely, we can do that."

She pulled her best contrite expression. Youchi, who was not stupid, could see that Ennisa was perhaps laying it on a bit thick, but then Penelope had painted an image of extreme laziness and untidyness to boot. The room was a little messy, but the shelves were tidy and neatly arranged. Ennisa, standing there, waited to hear what her boss had to say, whilst Penelope fumed beside her.

WC : 504

Ennisa
Miss Chievious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Filing for Dummies

Postby Ennisa on November 9th, 2019, 2:33 pm

"speech"
"others"

Penelope could take it no more. She burst out, "Youchi! She's been driving me up the wall all day! Please, can't you see that she's a waste of time here? All she does is cause chaos and, and... Look! Those shelves, they're..." yet, of course, she couldn't complain about the arrangements, because she herself had neatened them just before going to fetch Youchi. She fell silent, and cursed Ennisa under her breath. Youchi looked at the two women, then at the room and the array of files that Ennisa had been working on.

Ennisa frowned and propped one hand on her hip. "I think that's unfair, Penelope. Maybe I haven't been learning as fast as you'd like, but how long have you worked here? I'm only new. Writing is one thing, this filing system is quite another." She addressed Youchi next. "Please, Youchi. I may be slow, but please give me a chance? Penelope is a great teacher, but sometimes she's so fast, and I only want to learn."

She surreptitiously clasped her hands in front of her to mimic Youchi, who sighed with a sharp gust of breath. "As far as I can see, you have both been winding each other up, but I don't think that warrants firing Ennisa. Learn to get along with each other, yes? Can I trust you not to get into any further arguments today, whilst you finish your tasks?"

Ennisa smiled and nodded as she was quite pleased with the result. "Oh yes! Absolutely." Penelope, on the other hand, groaned and only begrudgingly agreed as it was obvious that Youchi had better things to be doing than supervising her employees in regard to their behaviour. "Yes, Youchi."

"Good! Let me know once you're both done."
Ennisa agreed, and the two women stood and watched the Cosmos Centre's proprietor walk out of the room and shut the door. They were silent for a moment. Ennisa turned back to the task at hand, and began to arrange the folders into alphabetical order within their separate letter dominions, all the while very conscious of Penelope stewing behind her.

Finally, before the silence started boiling from Penelope's annoyance, Ennisa decided to butt in. "What, Peno? What's got your knickers in a twist?" She smirked. The woman strode up to her and slammed a hand down onto the table. Ennisa was mildly surprised to see what looked like real anger playing across the short-statured woman's face.

"You're a little snake, did you know that?" Ennisa shrugged dismissively. "That's news to me. I thought I was a human." Penelope blinked a couple of times at the stupid joke whilst Ennisa's smirk grew. "I don't want you here. Some of the others don't, either. You're not professional, you're rude, and I'll figure out some way of convincing Youchi, don't worry about that!"

Penelope crowed and her eyes sparkled with sharp malice. Ennisa, who had pegged her as the type to roll over eventually, was forced to upgrade her opinion of the pipsqueak. She had more balls than she let on. "Okay, Peno. Good luck with that. Now, would you kindly stop yelling at me and let me get on with my job?"

WC : 532

Ennisa
Miss Chievious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Filing for Dummies

Postby Ennisa on November 9th, 2019, 6:00 pm

"speech"
"others"

"Oh you little..." Penelope looked as if she badly wanted to continue, but she stopped herself from going any further. Ennisa smiled blandly to herself and began shuffling the paperwork once more. Victory! She tucked her head down and collected the folders into their correct order after a few chimes of checking and re-checking her work.

Penelope looked over her shoulder as she began to stack the folders into their designated place. The shelving was old and well-worn. Up close, Ennisa noticed that the dark wood was aged and marked with little scratches and scuffs, presumably from years and years of use. She was tempted to arrange the folders right at the back of the shelving, just to see what Penelope's reaction might be, but she didn't. This was not out of the kindness of her heart, but mostly because she wanted to get away from the irritating woman who was breathing down her neck.

"Would you kindly... Hey, I'm not going to petch it up! Would you quit doing that?" She rounded on Penelope, who only stared at her and pushed one of the folios a quarter of a centimetre backwards. Ennisa ground her teeth. Penelope grinned without any humour. "I can be a pain in the ass too, just like you." It was a challenge not to shove the little woman over out of spite. Instead, she took a deep breath, turned around, and finished stacking, fighting the urge to just give her just the littlest of kicks.

I mean, she wouldn't have to fall far, right? She's only short.

She shook her head. Not long now. Penelope directed her onto the next section by unceremoniously dumping a bunch of papers and files down onto the table. She got started, and once she had done with the organisation, she approached the filing system and mounted the wooden stairs to slot them into place.

"One last thing for you to do. Here." She pushed a slip of paper towards her. "Sit down and learn it. If you can cope with that." Ennisa smiled sweetly up at Penelope, and grabbed a chair. "Of course, Peno. Anything for you."

A nerve twitched in Penelope's face, but Ennisa didn't see it as she turned her attention down to the sheet of paper in front of her. It took her a moment to figure out what she was looking at. When she finally got it, she raised an eyebrow. The paper was filled with lines that formed the image of the filing system of the Cosmos Centre, but it was almost impenetrable to understand, as the lines crissed and crossed across each other, depending on which shelf or level it was describing.

She would not let Penelope see her confusion however. Instead, she scanned the page over and over, trying to get herself accustomed to the scribbles. She picked up the paper and took it over to look at the system itself. The rows and rows of shelving, some of it neat, some of it messy, continued into several other rooms. Each shelf and each room housed different aspects of their work. Some of it was just records from years ago. Ennisa was certain there was a room in which the very first records lay, but she assumed that room would be locked away, considering the great age those documents must be.

She slowly paced around the room she was in, followed by the ever-annoying presence of Penelope, as she tried to learn the room. Some of it was familiar, as it related to the work she had already done today. Other parts were new. She did her best to learn it all.

Finally, after about ten chimes of this, she turned to Penelope. "I'm done now. Anything else you want, Peno?" The shorter woman narrowed her eyes, but eventually she shook her head. Obviously, although she might want to torment her pupil further, the promise of not having to deal with said pupil for the rest of the day was the bigger draw. "That's it. You can keep that. Go back to work now. If you know what you're doing."

WC : 688

Ennisa
Miss Chievious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Filing for Dummies

Postby Madeira Dusk on November 14th, 2019, 12:41 am

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Ennisa

Skills
  • Rhetoric: 3xp
  • Organization: 3xp
  • Intelligence: 1xp
  • Politics: 1xp
  • Persuasion: 2xp
  • Observation: 2xp

Lores
  • Intelligence: snooping in official documents
  • Office Politics: the not-apology
  • Lore of the organizational layout of the Cosmo Center

Awards & Retribution

Notes
  • Sass: 100xp
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)