Completed Blood of the Covenant

Thread 4 Gratitude Challenge

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Blood of the Covenant

Postby Ines on December 1st, 2019, 7:15 am

continued from Counting Blessings II
Fall 35th 519AV

As they packed up for the morning, Indigo rustled through her bag and pulled out a shiny flask. "Oh, by the way, did you leave this at the camp? I found it when I was packing up. It looks too clean to have just been left in the dirt."

"No...is there anything in it?" Indigo shook her head.

"I still feel like you should have it." She tucked it into the bat's own bag. Another mysterious gift from Bala's Bowl. Ines felt like she should take it, too. Like it was meant for her. They had a lot of hiking to do to make it back to Syka before sunset.

--

Ines hustled behind Indigo. When she'd said she'd wanted to get back to Syka in a day, the witch didn't realize how fast they'd have to go. They weren't in a rush, but she could feel the strain on her legs and breathing. She just had to push to the point that it felt good. Leaving Bala's Bowl made all three of them sad, but Ines had her job to do.

They followed an entirely different path this time. The jungle was pulled in closer around them, and the ranger made more liberal use of her machete to cut their way through. It felt overwhelming with the Nura feedback, and the Kelvic had to tune it out since they were hiking at such a steady pace. She thought back to the tangled growth in the back of Bala's Bowl. It felt dark, like it was unnatural or angry, which upset her. The rest of the grove was happy and gorgeous. She hadn't been able to bring herself to explore it, but she'd need to go back. It was her Godess-given job to inspect and fix issues like that. She just needed to get better so that she could.

It started to pour. Indigo had routed them in a way that would avoid flash floods, but the ground was still mushy from the wet.

"I love the smell of the rainforest when it's raining. It smells...heavy? But green. I don't even know how something can smell like a color." Indigo turned her head to look at Ines and smiled.

"It does smell green. I can agree with that."

Indigo had brought a hat, and it protected her from the rain - she was not so lucky. Her hair and clothes stuck to her body, and she had already bathed in the lake that morning before the half-Myrian woke up. She didn't need another bath! As much as she loved the jungle, a beach nap sounded amazing... lying on a hammock in the sun with a soft breeze. That was one thing that here couldn't compete with. Naps in Taloba ended with her waking up sticky and tired. Maybe Indigo would want to nap, too.

"Do you like the beach or the jungle better?" she asked. Ines had her own answer, and she suspected that hers was the same.

"They both have their strong points. I like the jungle because it's my home. I like the beach because it's the home of my friends, which also makes it my home. Bonfire cookouts are better on the beach, but I like camping in the jungle."

"I feel the same. I love napping on the beach, but there's nothing like it here," A large raindrop landed in her eye as she looked up to scan the foliage. As she rubbed her eye and blinked hard, she continued, "Nothing like it, alright." They laughed - this entire trip had been full of laughter. Ines was so thankful that she had a chance to bond with Indigo and to share their stories. She really liked Indigo, and apparently she liked Indigo in ways that made Adeliz blush and hide. The bat had no idea what she had to be embarrassed about.
Last edited by Ines on December 2nd, 2019, 3:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ines
sexy dracula

Words: 152937
Joined roleplay: May 2nd, 2017, 10:41 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (2) Overlored (1)

Blood of the Covenant

Postby Ines on December 1st, 2019, 10:20 am

wc: 547

"You're really pretty in that hat!" It was the first time on the trip she'd said anything, even if she thought it the entire past 3 days. The ranger adjusted the hat with one of her unoccupied arms after she said that. The kelvic had noticed that when a lot of people got compliments, they'd fiddle with the thing that they were complimented on. She didn't understand why anyone would mess with something if someone else just told them how nice it - or they - looked.

"Thank you. I've had this hat since the mercantile first opened. It was the first thing I traded for." It was woven with straw, frayed at the edges and patched in one spot with much brighter weaving. It must have been put together well. Her face and hair was entirely dry, and her face paint was still intact. Ines wondered what her face looked like without the face paint. She'd never seen it bare.

The rain suddenly stopped, and so did they. Ines had to wring out her hair and her clothing. She had made the mistake of wearing sopping clothing once before, and the chafing and fungus that ended up in the worst places was not worth the speed. At least they were heading home and she could hang everything out to dry.

"I don't think I'll be back without a hat again. I've learned the hard way a few too many times, maybe it'll stick this time." It was the jungle - there was no way her clothes were going to dry off naturally, not with the humidity that came after a rain like that. She was lucky to have most of her clothing in a fabric that purportedly dried quickly and wouldn't mold.

"I don't know how I didn't notice that you didn't bring it." Indigo added, finally slowing down for a real break so that they could eat and drink. "But you look miserable."

Ines wasn't miserable, soaking aside, but she went along with the joke. "I'm chafing, Indigo. Chafing!" Her laugh-snort scattered nearby birds. Now that the rain had stopped, the wildlife was more active. A troupe of lemurs had been following them for a while since the rain had stopped, and now that they had stopped, too, one of the braver primates snuck up behind the ranger and stole her hat.

She whipped her head around, grabbing for the hat, but the lemur had already lept up beyond her reach. "Damn! Give it back!" She shouted, but the lemurs clearly wanted to play with Ines, and Indigo was collateral. The one with the hat climbed down near the witch, as if to hand her the hat, before scampering up and handing it to another one. She couldn't help but laugh, and they used that time to throw it around, Indigo chasing her stolen hat around in circles. Even with all six of her arms attempting to snag it back, they kept it away. Finally, Ines was able to stop laughing and catch the eyes of the lemur with the hat, asking it to give it back to them. He didn't want to, but the witch asserted herself and soon enough it was back on the half-Myrian's head, in the same condition, too, if not a little bent.
Ines
sexy dracula

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Blood of the Covenant

Postby Ines on December 2nd, 2019, 3:25 am

wc: 581

"Is that why we weren't taking breaks before?" asked Ines, 15 chimes later in a new lunch spot a bit away from the troupe.

"No, I just want to get back to Syka before we have to camp half a mile away because it got dark out. I had noticed them following us, but I didn't think they'd want to play like that. I can't tell if I should thank you for getting it back for me, or chastise you for the lemurs noticing you and wanting to play... Now I wish you had your own hat and I could've saved my own!"

"That's less fun than seeing you run around in circles."

"Less fun for you, maybe." Indigo pouted. Ines handed her a strip of jerky to absolve her sour mood.

"No wonder you don't come around the sawmill that often. The ashta love to play games. They especially love to interrupt work so that they can play. It's a good excuse to take a break for me, too. Have you ever been lifted up by an elephant's trunk? That's a fun game. " Ines was still poking fun at Indigo, and she was trying to keep frowning, but the bat saw her smile peek out for a second.

"I think elephant games would be a lot more fun than monkey games. They're nicer than monkeys, at least."

"Nicer? Yeah. They're just as mischievous, but not mean. I don't think I've ever met a mean elephant. I've always felt like they understood me, and not just after I got marked. Whenever I looked into their eyes, now or years ago, I could tell that they understood me. They have the most advanced Nura of anything I touched, too." Ines loved patting an elephant on its rough, wrinkly skin and telling them about her day, or how she was feeling. Especially now, when there was a language barrier and she didn't know how to joke or express herself in Common. Not like she did in Myrian, at least.

"They have wise eyes. Many people don't look past the six tusks, or in the case of a regular elephant, two. Even the ashta are intimidating for people. I know in Taloba they treat them like pets, like puppies, almost. I guess that's what happens when you're used to something 19ft tall rather than 9."

"I can agree with that. I'm glad you know what the tskanna are. Most people have no idea what I'm talking about, but I guess that's how Kam felt when I asked her what "ice" was. To her it was so obvious, how could you define it? But to me, I had no idea water could do that. To her, the idea of elephants twice the size of Ashta and with three tusks sounded entirely made up." Ines fiddled with her shirt, it being just a bit drier than it had been the chimes earlier.

"You could always go back to Taloba. But Taloba is further than many other cities around Syka - I've heard it's quicker to get to Black Rock, and Riverfall is only a couple days. Most people don't want to travel through the jungle and emerge covered in ticks and mosquitos and whatever other bugs that want to stick to your skin show up." Indigo sounded despondent. She sounded like she wanted to go back to Taloba, even as she told how terrible the trip would be, even though they never wanted her to begin with.
Last edited by Ines on December 2nd, 2019, 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ines
sexy dracula

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Blood of the Covenant

Postby Ines on December 2nd, 2019, 3:26 am

wc: 735

Adeliz had also never been to Taloba. She only had the knowledge of Ines's memories for Taloba, and she couldn't understand the nostalgia that the Kelvic held for the city and family that treated her like a pet and a servant more than they treated her like one of their own. The witch didn't fault her for that, because she didn't live through the memories. They were simply thrust upon her. Adeliz had no life except that tied to Ines for the season. Oh Gods, she was going to disappear at the end of the season. The witch hoped that she could find a way for Adeliz to stay, but she had no idea what was going to happen to her when Winter came. It wasn't like she had any memory of dying, or of her past lives. Adeliz only had the memories they made together, and those that Ines had from before her. They had the sliver that they'd make so many more, but just as she would be devastated to lose her sister-soul, she'd be devastated to never fly again.

"I don't think I want to go back. That world is behind me, and I don't need to be there anymore," Ines stood up and brushed herself off. "You want to know what Randal said the first day I came? When I asked if I could stay, and he saw my gnosis, and learned that I had spent my entire life working with elephants..." Ines paused for dramatic effect. "He said I was what they were looking for. He said that he had been searching for an assistant for Lars, but that he didn't know Caiyha had already sent one for him."

"That was incredible for me - they didn't need just anyone, they needed me, they needed what I knew and what I did. And I got to be around the same animals I had been around forever. It was perfect." Indigo was still leading them, but after the bells they had been hiking, Ines was starting to recognize the jungle. They were close to Syka! She estimated they had only been, at most, three or four miles away from the settlement, but it was so hard to traverse it took them four times as long to walk the same distance they could down the shoreline.

"They needed you, too. You were exactly who they were looking for when they came to Syka and to the ruins of Pavena. Someone who knew the area and could help them know it, too. I think we've all come here for a reason, whatever it is. Mizahar knows where we are needed and pushes us there, and brings together the people who need to be together. Everything works out the way it should." They were definitely getting closer now. Ines could swear she remembered that stump.

"I agree. Everything works out the way it should. Everyone is in the right place at the right time, even if it's suffering, awful at that time - it works out the way it was meant to. I hope this trip was the right thing for you at this time. I know how hard change is, and you've been going through a lot."

"Don't worry about me. It was worth every minute. Things aren't that bad, Ines meant every word, something she couldn't have done before their adventure. It had only been a few days, and she felt like a new person with a refreshed outlook. She was still scared because there was so much she didn't know - so much she couldn't know. She was ready to embrace the fear because taking risks had brought her this far. Everything would end up as it should be. That was the mantra that would get her through. That, and counting blessings - she had so many, so many she hadn't even thought to acknowledge before. The little things that she didn't even think about.

They stepped from the treeline, the sea breeze immediately providing cool relief from the jungle heat. Syna had just started setting as they arrived right into the commons. A pig was roasting in the communal kitchens, nearly done by the smell that wafted over to them. Her stomach growled. Someone else was tossing together a fruit salad, roasting pineapple and mango over the fire. There appeared to be an impromptu dinner gathering.

"and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else."
Ines
sexy dracula

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes