Completed The Trunk of the Tree II

Ines learns more skills to complement her current Wilderness Survival knowledge.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

The Trunk of the Tree II

Postby Ines on December 9th, 2019, 4:51 am

Winter 1st, 519AV

Randal stopped on the side of the cobbled pathway and gestured for Ines to follow suit. He kneeled down and said, "What do you know about plants?"

The bat shrugged. She always preferred to eat meat or blood when she could get it, which wasn't uncommon in the jungle. She often spoke to plants to ask for permission or pushed them aside as she hiked, but she didn't pay much attention to the plant itself. "I do not know much." Ines could tell he was about to start teaching her.

"There are more types of poisonous plants in the jungle than I can ever name. Instead, there are guidelines...rules that are a good start. It's best to know what you're going to eat or touch or burn before you do so, but that's impossible here." He leaned over, pointing towards a plant growing wild on the edge of the path. It had long, thick, and spear-like leaves that grew in a layered circle. "This is aloe vera. I'm sure you've used it plenty of times before or had it used on you." He broke off one of the leaves, holding the open end where the translucent, slightly green ooze came out. "Aloe vera is a fantastic plant, and its sap provides many, many benefits. It can soothe rashes and sunburns, which can be especially unbearable in a survival situation. But the skin itself is poisonous." He dropped some of the ooze drippings into his hand, where he massaged it into the reddened skin of his shoulders. "Even useful plants can have parts that are poisonous. A plant can have an edible flower and poisonous leaves - or edible roots and poisonous seeds. You want to stay away from anything you identify as having one poisonous part, again unless you already know what it is."

They stood up and kept walking until Randal stopped them again, this time in front of a tall, flowering tree. He squatted next to its base and pointed to a thick white substance dripping down. "Anything with a milky sap-like this - opaque, which means you can't see through it, and white - you should stay away from. This tree is called oleander, and the sap can kill you. It should never be used for firewood, either. When the wood burns, it makes the smoke poisonous, and it can even poison food that its used to cook. It has beautiful flowers, but you can admire those from afar." Ines nodded.

"If it has any poison, I do not burn?" She asked as she tried to think of any other plants or trees she had seen with milky sap. Usually, she just asked the plant if it were poisonous before she touched it.

"Yeah, it's best to avoid anything that has a poisonous part, for any use." Next to the oleander tree was a mango tree, dripping with green mangos. "Mangoes are delicious when they're ripe and skinned, but many parts of the mango are poisonous." He pointed towards the top of the tree and moved down as he covered different parts. "Most of the tree can cause rashes - the leaves, the sap, and the entirety of the unripe, green fruit can give you a rash. Even the skin and the stem of ripe mangoes can be poisonous to the touch if you're especially sensitive." He dropped his arm, and continued, "You shouldn't burn mango wood, either. It can hurt your eyes and your mouth."

wc: 581
Ines
sexy dracula

Words: 152937
Joined roleplay: May 2nd, 2017, 10:41 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (2) Overlored (1)

The Trunk of the Tree II

Postby Ines on December 22nd, 2019, 11:18 am

He stood up, brushed himself off, and continued walking down the road. "There are some other things you should watch out for, too. For instance - plants that grow with three leaves on the end of the stem are best to stay away from. Same with spines, thorns, and especially around here, anything growing with fine hairs. Have you heard of Manchineel? They're tall and have shiny leaves covered in tiny hairs. They're also extremely poisonous. Don't camp around them, don't touch any part of it, don't drink water that touched it, don't burn it — any of that can kill you." The witch's eyes widened. Plants did not have the control animals did, and even if they did not wish to harm her, it was a matter of whether or not she could protect herself from them. A plant could never stop itself from giving someone a rash or an illness, even a witch.

"If you're out in the wilderness and you get a rash from a poisonous plant, you need to wash it as soon as possible. If you can, find an aloe plant and get the gel from the inside and apply it to the rash, wearing gloves if you have them. If anything, it will soothe the pain. Honey or coconut oil helps, too. And, if you have some cloth to spare, you can get it wet in cool water and hold it on for...about 10 or 15 chimes." It was a lot to take in for the little bat, though she hoped she wouldn't be stuck injured or sick without access to the few medicines she had purchased from Uta. She thought about how Uta would also know more about plants to avoid, and made a mental note to see her soon. Ines realized her plant skills were severely lacking if everything Randal was telling her was new information. Some things she just inuited, like when plants seemed off, she would simply avoid contact.

"After mercantile, we go to the Panacea?" The bat asked. She wanted to learn more serious first aid.

"There's supposed to be a ship coming in, and I want to leave Jansen or Kalum with enough time to prepare in case anyone's sick or injured on arrival." He smirked. "Svefra and sailors tend to get into trouble, even on short trips."

The Mercantile was in sight. The few stops for the plant lessons took up a bit more time than the bat expected, and it was already mid-morning. Being so close to the sea, the breeze was almost chilly.

wc: 428
Ines
sexy dracula

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (2) Overlored (1)

The Trunk of the Tree II

Postby Ines on December 22nd, 2019, 11:20 am

"The jungle really is an incredible place. If you told me as a child that I would live somewhere where the plants could kill you if you touched them wrong, I'd have thought you were insane. Now, I live somewhere where a plant could kill me and another plant right next to it could heal me."

Ines smiled back, feeling the sharpness of her fangs on her lips. "Have a problem, Caiyha provides."

They hopped up the steps to the mercantile. Juli greeted them and said that she kept her first aid supplies inside. Ines and Randal made their way to the shelf to take a look. The founder picked up a small metal container, rattled it around, and then opened it up, revealing a set of three thin, curved needles stuck through a thick cloth to hold them in place. "These are the kinds you want when your arm's been sliced open and you're in a secure place to take the time and sew it up. That's what suturing is." He gave the box for the Kelvic to hold, intent on having her purchase whatever she didn't have.

They moved down the shelf, and Randal picked up a small roll of gauze and a tourniquet. "The gauze will stop bleeding, especially if you layer it over a torn piece of shirt. A tourniquet will save your life. It also stops bleeding, but it does so by stopping the bloodflow above the injury entirely. So if something bites your hand off, you would wrap the gauze with your good hand, put this stick through it," he wagged the stick that the tourniquet came with, "and turn the stick to apply pressure. It will hurt. But it will save your life. And I don't think there's any situation where the tourniquet will hurt more than the reason you need it." He handed both of the items to the Kelvic, and then ran off to talk to Juli. She dug around and pulled out a middling-sized vial of a clear liquid, and Randal brought it back to Ines.

"This is pure alcohol. It tastes awful, but you can add it to your water or use it to clean any injuries if you're worried about them." Ines wasn't much of a drinker, but she distantly remembered alcohol being used when she cut her foot many seasons before. It stung so badly she had been left with no intention to learn what it would do to her insides. "I know. I used once. Long ago."

Ines went over to the section of the mercantile with the baskets and dumped out her items into it. She grabbed an extra waterskin to top everything off. She realized she had left her Mizas at Lars' bungalow, but Randal paid since they were already headed back. She would just pay him back.

Mizas Spent :
-1.00 GM Waterskin
-25.00 GM Survival Toolkit
= -26.00 GM

wc: 474
Ines
sexy dracula

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets