Open Tonics and Tinctures

Firenze learns an important lesson the hard way.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Tonics and Tinctures

Postby Firenze on January 1st, 2020, 5:16 am

4 Winter, 519 AV

Her stomach rolled and gurgled, a hand crossed her stomach. It had been a bad idea to try testing out the berries, she knew that. Her unfortunate hunger had driven her to do something she should’ve known better. But, unfortunately for her ever noisy stomach, she had let curiosity get the better of her. Again.

She’d only tried a few, but that was enough to act as a natural laxative as her body protested and tried to cleanse itself of the foreign food source. Having already had to make a few pit stops into the bushes she pitifully made her way back to the city. She made a vow to herself, after the third time, that she was going to go visit the Herbologie and get some lessons. Sure, she’d had some training with the Drykas to the south but that didn’t help in cases of things that grew around her home city.

So, weaving slowly down the street she turned the corner to the alleyway that housed the door to Hanhi’s. Perhaps… she began the thought as a little toot escaped from her backside, one of them may have something to settle my stomach. Another gurgle started in her intestinal tract and the process repeated of her stomach clenching and a malodorous scent escaping.

Pushing aside the heavy wooden door, its hinges noticeably not creaking as it swung open. A little bell tinkled overhead signaling to a fair-skinned brown-haired woman who was placing a small glass jar on a shelf. She slipped the jar into place and then stepped off the small wooden step stool. The place felt slightly cramped and the strong waft of herbs almost overpowered Firenze. A small quirk tipped the corner of her mouth though as a thought occurred that perhaps it may cover the acrid stench trailing her behind.

As the young woman approached, her hands lightly brushing the linen apron on her front, she greeted Fire, “Hello, how may I help you today?”

“Hi, I um… I need some assistance… with my stomach.”

The woman looked down to the hand clutched against her abdomen and gave a slight nod, “I see. If you're seeking an abortion we don't do that sort of thing here.”

That took Firenze aback, “What?” Blinking rapidly, she had to process what the woman had said, “No!” As she began to open her mouth to reply, her rear end decided to give an answer instead. It was rather loud and obnoxious and quite rude. Face flushing bright red she snapped her mouth shut and cleared her throat. Unfortunately, that was the wrong thing for her to do as the pressure on her stomach assisted the racket escaping into a more profound Brrrrrrrrrt!

A few moments ticked by and Fire seriously contemplated turning tail and heading to her house to let her body to the rest of the excavation on its own. As she picked her foot to slowly backpedal, the other woman stared at her and then a belly laugh erupted from her.

“Oh, my! I may have misjudged the situation. My sincerest apologies!” Another giggle escaped the clerk's throat. “I think I may have something that can help you,” she moved to the shelving on the right, pulling down odd-sized bottles and tipping one to let the contents fall to the scale.

Firenze began to apologize profusely, her face reddening even more, ”I am so sorry! I was hunting and I was having bad luck. I was really hungry and found this berry bush and thought that I might just have a snack from that instead but I only ate a few and then this began to happen!”

The woman paused momentarily in her actions and squinted slightly, “may ask what the berry looked like? What did the bush look like?”

“I… don’t recall the bush very well but the berries… well, I thought they were grapes?” Her response came out more of a question than an answer. “They were purple?”

“Ah, were the stems red then?” The woman resumed her task, tipping the measured herbs into a small mortar. She took up the pestle and began to slowly grind.

With a quick nod, Firenze vocalized the confirmation as well. Whoever this lady was, she was good! “How did you know?”

“Oh, it’s just pokeberries,” she gave a soft smile and knowing eye glance in Fire’s direction, “it happens to the best of us if you don’t know what to look for. Mostly children, but I’ve had the occasional adult come in with the same issue. They look tasty, but our bodies don’t really handle them very well.” She turned toward the back room, grabbed a kettle from just around the door. She tipped the hot liquid into a small cup with the leaves she’d ground. “This should settle things, although you’ll unfortunately just have to wait until it passes,” she passed the cup to Firenze, “if you only had a few then there’s no need to worry.”

The panic that she didn’t realize had slowly risen that she might have poisoned herself eased as she sipped from the cup. Glancing over the rim as she downed the hot liquid she inspected the other woman. Fire noted that her hair was a warm chestnut with sun-kissed streaks running through it. Her eyes were almost the same color, almost as though there were rays from Syna running through them. After having tipped the cup back, the hot liquid hit her stomach and caused it to roll again.

Fire handed the cup to the woman, “Thank you for your help. I’m sorry for my rather… rude introduction. How much do I owe?” She began to fish around in her pouch for the change.

“Five coppers should do the trick.”

Handing over the well-spent money, Fire paused for a moment. “I… I don’t suppose your,” she searched for the right word,” business, would teach how to find herbs and such would it? I would like to hopefully not run into this situation again.”
Last edited by Firenze on January 2nd, 2020, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Words: 674676
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Tonics and Tinctures

Postby Firenze on January 2nd, 2020, 4:09 am

The brown-haired woman stared at Firenze for a moment, eyes roving over the lithe frame. “I suppose we do have some classes that we might be able to have you take.” A small finger came up and tapped lightly against her lips. “Do you know your letters or how to read?”

With a small shake of her head, Firenze let the woman know that she had never learned. It wasn’t something that she was ashamed of, she never really had a particular interest in it. The only time she’d actually written something was when an old friend had tried to show her how to make tea. She’d only managed a pictorial script of sorts to remind her. The paper was shoved somewhere amongst her things in the trunk at home, never really needing it.

“That’s quite alright. It’ll cost a bit extra as we will have to do a more hands on approach. But I suppose that’s the way of the world is it not? No one seems to have time to learn their letters when they’re trying to learn to defend themselves.” She moved around the table where Firenze had watched her grind up the things used to make the tea. At that thought Firenze realized her stomach had stopped making the horrible racket. It did seem more calm now, albeit still have some rather rancid gas. She was still thankfully the smells of the shop overpowered most of what was escaping from her.

“When would they start? How much will it be?” Firenze sat on one of the stools nearby watching the woman look through drawers. She had pulled a slim green book from a middle left one and started flipping through the pages. About a third of the way through the woman stopped and started to scroll a finger down the page.

“Ah, I will have time 2 days from now when Syna is half in the sky. Would that work for you?”

Firenze nodded. There wasn’t really any other pressing matters. She had plenty of time to catch meat and she was pretty sure Kane would understand if she skipped a day and made up the slack another day. She hadn’t noticed that the woman hadn’t mentioned the cost. As she slipped from the chair the woman spoke, “Ask for me, my name is Sara. I’ll give you a… pre-lesson of sorts. Don’t eat berries that you’re unsure off. Or any plant for that matter. If you’re not sure, pick a sample with a cloth and bring it to me for inspection.”

Fire turned up the corner of her mouth and nodded, “I’ll remember that.” She turned to leave and as her hand began to turn the knob the brown haired woman spoke again, “Also, if I see something that may be beneficial to us I may be able to give you some coin for it.” That perked Firenze’s ears and she gave another nod without turning around. She wanted to evacuate the establishment before her bowels decided to evacuate her.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Tonics and Tinctures

Postby Firenze on January 2nd, 2020, 4:51 am

-6 Winter, 519 AV-

Sun filter through the dirty windows of the simple house. All was quiet and the room was mildly chilly. It wasn’t cold but it wasn’t worth getting out of bed for either. Turning over, her thin blanket wrapped several times around her Fire stared at the black coals in the fireplace. It had been smoldering when she’d finally passed out last night and completely extinguished itself while she slept.

With a groan she unravelled and moved over to the stack of logs near the hearth. Groggily she grabbed a few and tossed them haphazardly into the center of the blackened pile. She grabbed a handful of dried grass from the basket next to the stack and tucked it into the crevices of what would soon be a roaring fire. She sparked the flint, breathing gently until the smallest of flames caught and continually fed the small beast until it was worthy of its stone encampment.

Heat rolled from the fireplace and chased away the chill. She moved to a cupboard and pulled down some bread and cheese. It seemed like a simple enough breakfast. As she rubbed the sleep from her eyes, her nightgown twisting as she plopped into a chair, she realized it was the day she’d meet Sara again.

The thought helped to wake her up some as anxiety and excitement started to coarse through her. She worked through the crusty slightly hard chunk of loaf and polished off the bitter cheese. Standing she went to the drinking pitcher and poured a glass of water. She swilled it around her mouth for a moment and then poured some water into a bowl. With a rough cloth she finished clearing the sleep from her eyes, crumbs from the corner of her mouth and then dipped her comb in and started working some of it through her mane.

It had become a tangled wave of a mess. It was still choppy but had grown some so it looked a little less ‘someone just took a knife to me’ and more ‘someone took a pair of scissors to me’. She noticed that it had started to have a soft wave to it and was almost to her shoulders. After finishing pulling most of the knots out she grabbed a dress from her trunk and slipped it over her head. It was one that she wore most often. A soft white chiffon with beautiful inlay along the top of the chest. She’d gotten it from Zeltiva and it reminded her of happier times.

The edges on the bottom were slightly frayed and a little greyed from muck that had stained the light color. But it was still quite beautiful all the same. She slipped on her boots, her sandals she normally wore becoming too breathy for the temperature of the season.

Wrapping her old cloak around her shoulders she pinned it to the side. Tied her coin pouch to her waist and prepared to leave. She made sure that nothing was too close to the fireplace in case a spark popped and flew out. She’d like to come back to a place that wasn’t a burnt crisp.

She walked through the street, glancing up at Syna’s rays to try to figure out the time. It was about a quarter of the way through so she still had time before the class started. Unsure of what she would encounter Fire decided that she’d take her small parchments with her that she’d written on before in case the woman decided to have her try to write. They were tucked neatly into the little coin bag wrapped around her waist.

Taking her time she stopped off at Baker’s Butcher to see if Kane was beginning his day. She hadn’t had a friend in Sunberth for awhile. Not one that stayed around anyway. All the ones that she did have had already left. There was Baelin, but she hadn’t seen him in quite a few months. While she peered around corners, alleyways and the like she let her mind wander to the man for a moment.

He wasn’t like Dor’gen or Pulren. Or any man that she knew of for that matter. She couldn’t figure out what it was about him. Chewing on a hangnail on her pinky she also chewed on her thoughts. It had been awhile since she’d thought of him. She wondered why he popped into her mind this morning. Although it had originated with Baelin, she let it wander to Dor’gen. There were whispers that he was back in town. But… she didn’t want to search for him.

Hurt and anger started to well up inside her. He’d broken their bond. Where did he go? It was a thought that always lingered at the back of her mind. She thought that he would stay and that they would be them forever but… it didn’t happen. She still didn’t understand the why. Shaking her head, she tried to think of happier things.

Pulren. He was a happy thing. He’d been such a good friend while she was in Zeltiva. That made her smile. She wondered what he was up to and if he kept on with the guard or left the city. It was strange that she hadn’t thought about what he might think with her vanishing. But, there were stranger things that happened in the world she supposed. More than likely he probably thought she was dead.

Her museing ceased for a moment as she walked up the shallow steps and tried to pull on the door to the butchery. It was open and she could see Kiarsha moving around setting delicious smelling pastries out for display. The scent of the mince pies, sweet treats, and many other baked goods hit her nostrils as she opened the door. It was probably one of Firenze’s most favored scents ever.

“Good Morning!” She swept into the store, her dress billowing out behind her as the air from inside escaped.

“Good morrow Firenze. How was your sleep?” Kiarsha didn’t look up from her tasks but replied. The myrian was fascinating to Fire, she was so strong but yet so soft. She had beautiful features with long dark dredded locks, and firey chocolate colored eyes. It didn’t surprise her why Kane had fallen in love with the woman.

“It was better than I expected. Although I’m rather nervous and quite awake now.”

“Oh?” Kiarsha pulled a hot pan from the wood-burn oven and placed it on top of a towel to cool.

“Yes… I’m supposed to be attending a class at Hanhai’s today. Did Kane not tell you? That’s why I won’t be bringing meats in today.”

“Oh, right… he did mention something of the sort. I apologize, the children have me out of sorts lately. They are stubborn.” Firenze tried not to smile at the remark. Just like their mother I bet. She couldn’t see Kane being the stubborn one. Fire also wondered if it was a Kiarsha trait or a Myrian trait that made the woman headstrong. It was noticeable the first day she’d met the woman.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)