Closed Cat's Eye, Bat's Eye

(Nya) Two kelvics meet and frolic in the woods.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Cat's Eye, Bat's Eye

Postby Ines on December 22nd, 2019, 10:25 pm

Winter 1, 519AV
continued from here

"I have many bones. Little meat." The bat replied, well aware that any animal like her would want something thick with muscle and fat. Ines licked the remnants of the grilled pineapple off of her fingers, showing off her own fangs. They were different than Nya's - rather than piercing and tearing, her fangs were like knives, razor-sharp for precision slicing and scraping.

"I am Ines." The bat's Myrian accent still coated her Common, something she had noticed starkly the more she met people. "You name?" She asked, before feeling the sudden heat of anger emanating from her companion. She followed her gaze, eyes landed on Indigo in a vision of dual disrespect.

"You do not like the other? Why?" Indigo reminded Ines of home, but the good, nostalgic bits, like campfires and storytelling. "I have no trouble with her. Maybe Caiyha is enough." Ines presented her arm and the jungle that came with it. She didn't blink at the feral, feisty kelvic's snack. Non-kelvics had a tendency to lie or pretend, and now the bat wasn't sure if Indigo had just been pretending to be nice to her when she didn't mean it. She thought that the gift of Bala's Bowl proved otherwise, but she also trusted the eyes of a predator.

"Ashta? My fault. I smell like them." She reeked like the Ashta on most days, but she didn't consider it a bad smell. It was an earthy smell that mingled with all of the other scents of the mill. Sun-bleached, salty, woody and dusty. She studied the other woman's face at her weather comment. Ines never quite got the hang of understanding the weather, at least no more than the taste of the storm before it landed. Or that this half of the year was much wetter than the other half. The bat sat up in her chair, pulling a leg up and wrapping her arm around it.

"I like no fire over big fire." She replied to the invitation, giggling. Her laugh was much higher pitched than the other woman's. The witch had no interest in ruining anyone's things, though. Not yet anyway.

When Nya left abruptly, so did the bat. Ines had a much easier time dodging people with her smaller size, skipping past Kamilla and the strangers who had shown up and immediately started drinking. She didn't meet a whole lot of other kelvics - this one wasn't getting away that easily.

She found the kelvic by the kitchen. She was much faster than the tiny bat, but you could see far down the beach, and the kitchen was not far.

Ines had no idea what to talk about, either. She didn't think she was very interesting, but maybe it would be easier now that they were away from the crowd. "You want see cool place?" She blurted out, disregarding her earlier lessons from Randal in favor of traveling there in her animal form. If this Kelvic had lived in the jungle for so long as she looked, she'd have no trouble, either. "I bring you there."

The vampire bat had been dying to show someone else Bala's Bowl. Without Adeliz to share it with, and Indigo being inconsistent, she hadn't yet traveled back. But she dreamed of it, and of the home she could make of it, and she suspected that anyone who could spend seasons alone in the jungle would appreciate it the same way she did. She waited until Nya finished eating and if she would agree. If she did, she would make her way to the treeline, half-naked and ready to shift as soon as they made it inside enough that the canopy would hide any blinding sunlight.

wc: 616
Ines
sexy dracula

Words: 152937
Joined roleplay: May 2nd, 2017, 10:41 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (2) Overlored (1)

Cat's Eye, Bat's Eye

Postby Nya Winters on January 3rd, 2020, 8:17 pm

Nya snorted at Ines’ words. “Every little bit of meat helps. Sometimes all someone wants is a crunchy snack.” The Talderian Forest Cat said, though there was a twinkle in her eyes and a softening of her husky voice as she said it. “Ines is a good name. Short. To the point. I like it.” Nya added, then gave the other girl her name in return. “Nya… Nya Winters.” The thin woman said, looking thoughtful as the pair conversed.

“I don’t dislike her. I find her judgmental.” Nya said softly, shaking her head. “She watches the Kelvics here. You’ll see it soon enough. Like we are dangerous to the people. The Forest Cat looked down and examined Ines’ arm, noting what was obviously a raised gnosis mark in the form of a scene. She tilted her head, sniffed, and nodded. “Caiyha is a God then?” She asked, not knowing the name but then again not knowing many of the Gods. If it wasn’t Zulrav or Rhysol, The Forest Cat had very little knowledge of the divine other than of Sylir because she’d lived in Syliras and had met Glav Navik who had risen to the position of peace.

“You don’t smell bad. I just smell deeply.” Nya explained, not wanting the other woman to get self-conscious.

“It was not a true thought. Not something I’d actually do. It was just a fun thought. A mind image.” The other woman explained, hoping that Ines wasn’t one that told everyone everything she knew and would go to Indigo and tell her that Nya was contemplating burning her home down. The thought brought a soft growl out of Nya, one that wasn’t threatening, more a growl of annoyance.

Time to go. The other Kelvic was beginning to ask a lot of questions. Nya didn’t like questions.

She barely liked talking to herself, let alone other people. So, she made nice, departed politely, and headed to the Communal Kitchen where she piled a plate high with something other than what she’d eaten recently. Nya had no qualms about stuffing food in her mouth, and she did so, glad the woman manning the spit cut her off rare but crispy pieces of pig and some sort of big bird. The cat left the pig hunting for the denizens of Syka since they were easy to kill. Thus she didn't eat much pig and it was a treat. Also, she didn't fish or bird well, so that was what she selected for food today. Fish and birds which were harder for her to catch being bigger. Her usual faire in the jungle was monkey, tapir, and various deer... and lots of snakes. Nya left all that meat to others.

Ines soon found her.

Nya sighed. She glanced sideways at the other woman, studying her brown skin and her dark hair. “What place?” She said firmly, around a mouth full of what had been some sort of wild jungle fowl. It was delicious and just the kind of meat Nya didn’t like catching and thus got to rarely enjoy. She was going back for seconds, for sure, before she did anything – especially something that involved following a stranger into the jungle.

“This is good. Its some sort of fowl or bat. You should try it.” Nya said, taking another big bite from some sort of fat drumstick one of the kitchen ladies had piled on her plate and watching the Kelvic out of the corner of her eye. A smile played across her face. Ines might have smelled like Ashta but she smelled like bat too. Nya was willing to bet she was a bat in a Kelvic form.

“I’d eat more bats but they are like the popcorn humans make over a fire. Just a small bite. To much work to catch them. I bet they would be crunchy like mice though… maybe even more crunchy.” She said, tossing one of the bones she’d just picked clean into the fire.

“I know some places in the jungle. Maybe we could trade some knowledge. I know where a lake full of Jellyfish are… and a library with a ghost.” Nya added. “She plays checkers. Do you like checkers?” Nya asked, curious. The conversation was awkward, that much was for sure, but at least Ines wasn’t a human. Nya didn’t tolerate them well anymore, but the Kelvic was interesting to her. She had bright eyes and a gentleness about her that was rare in Sykans.

Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Cat's Eye, Bat's Eye

Postby Ines on January 17th, 2020, 12:57 am

wc: 722

The bat was incredulous that Nya didn't know who Caiyha was. She had spent so long in her domain. She was on the right track with her guess, at least. "Goddess of the jungle, and all animals and plants in the world."

She wasn't done with the other Kelvic yet, no matter how many times she joked about snacks. That's why she followed her - she wasn't going to let her get away that easily. It's not like she was a human or a Myrian or had to worry about protocol or tact or other unspoken rules when talking. Those were always too complicated. Ines stared into the jungle, trying to think of a way to describe it. "It is made into the jungle like a bowl, a lake with many fish, trees and flowers and birds on the shore. Not the same as the rest of the..." she gestured wildly at the tropical forest. "Different. Calm."

The bat side-eyed the cat when she started mentioning bat-corn. "I do not think bats have the meat for drumstick like that." The witch didn't have anything to joke about like Nya did, though. Drinking blood wasn't nearly as threatening or as funny as eating bats like popcorn. "Bats have more skin. Mice have no wings." The witch thought she smelled more like the ashta than anything else, but this woman's nose was still able to pick up on her Kelvic form beneath it all. She had the eyes of a cat and the nose of a cat - she must be a cat. A big one, too, judging by the size of her appetite.

Nya quickly changed the subject, but Ines was excited at the prospect of learning about more places. Most people didn't leave Syka, even if they knew how to. The witch could feel the slight tugs of Djed towards strange, old places whenever she entered the jungle. She had no idea where any of it really was, but she assumed that anything she felt in the jungle was from the bones of the city that she had been told about before. Pavena.

A lake full of jellyfish sounded exciting - she'd seen them close to shore, but the bat didn't know they liked freshwater, too. She'd never been to a library, let alone one with a ghost. "Checkers? I do not play that." If it was played, it must be a game. Lots of kids in Taloba played lots of different games, as did the adults. Lots of knucklebones and dominoes, and maybe checkers, too. The kelvic realized she probably just didn't know what it translated to in Myrian. Her eyes had still widened with the excitement of more exploration.

"We go my place first, then we go yours?" Ines proposed, though she realized all these trips would likely take a few days each. She didn't care, but if Nya had just shown up, maybe she wanted to see more people. The bat looked over the other Kelvic and decided that maybe she'd be happy to go back into the thick. Ines took a much smaller piece of meat from the roasts and joined Nya in snacking.

"We go as animal." She stated it matter-of-factly. She figured it'd be easiest for both of them to travel when they didn't have to worry about supplies or whatever else people felt the need to fret about when in the jungle. It'd be faster, too. Ines could certainly flap through the rainforest much quicker than she would walk, and it had the added bonus of being able to dodge any ground obstacles.

Really, the Kelvic mainly had to worry about things that fell outside of Caiyha's realm trying to eat her. Strange things bumped around in the trees and underbrush. Ines finished her snack, and then stripped off her shirt, folding it up and hiding it under a ledge in the kitchen to protect it from any rain while they were gone. She walked up the beach to the edge of the jungle, watching to see if Nya followed her. If she did, she'd take a few steps in, until she was in the shade, and would shift in a sparkle of lights. Once in her bat form, she'd start leading them towards the Bowl, making sure Nya could see and follow her.
Ines
sexy dracula

Words: 152937
Joined roleplay: May 2nd, 2017, 10:41 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (2) Overlored (1)