Open Bits and pieces

Octanus takes a break from his errands at the Springwater Square.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Bits and pieces

Postby Octarus on January 1st, 2020, 4:25 am

Octarus squeezed his eyes shut, and his ears reddened as he remembered. “I’m sorry, I can be a bit forgetful sometimes, especially after a long day” His eyes focused back on her as he scratched the back of his neck hastily. He raised an eyebrow at the comment about the Ethaefal but kept his face neutral. “That sounds like a fine idea, I’ll make sure to remember this place.” He glanced one more time at the beautiful structure before following Maderia down.

In a way, it was a relief that he’d been the one to let it slip than her intuiting it. He wasn’t exactly sure why that was, but he was pretty sure the feeling was kin to the deep, unwarranted paranoia that had plagued him since the death of his friend back in Alvadas. There was a lot more to unpack than just that, but he couldn’t have his thoughts cluttered now. He had company and now was not the time to go off on one of his tangents.

When she looked him up and down, he almost stopped in his tracks. Instead he diverted his eyes and pretended not to notice, nodding in a way he hopped was thoughtful at her comment. He did smell rather strong and could use an update to his wardrobe. His clothes didn’t exactly fit in with his surroundings. “Couldn’t agree more”

“I hope so” He said about his friend as he kept an eye out for a tailor, or even better, a bath. She was right, he was ripe from working out in the field with the Okomo’s today, and that was no way to shop. Perhaps his time with the Okomo’s and traveling with sailors had blunted his sense of propriety somewhat but that didn’t mean he had to go full animal. His friend would have clucked at his appearance and made him more presentable. It seems he had a habit of needing people to show him what was necessary. Her next line of questioning offered a pleasant diversion from that course of thought.

“I did odds and ends in Riverfall. Mostly there I was trying and failing to connect with some long-lost family that lived nearby. The Sea of Grass is a rough place for those not acclimated to its conditions. So, I killed time in Riverfall whilst I learned how to traverse the Sea, but before I could get to far in my studies, I was called back to Alvadas to see to the burial of my friend.” He said soberly, chewing his lip. Is that really what he had been doing in Riverfall? Did he really care enough to think about it further? Seeing a sign for a tailor, he chased the thought away. Making himself presentable seemed a far more pressing need.

Having picked up a fresh set of clothes and bathed, Octarus looked a smidge better at least wearing his new long, wool coat with a half cape trimmed with sable at the top. It was dyed a dark blue that complemented the lighter blue of the new trousers and shirt he now wore. Feeling fresh, and enjoying the fit of the new clothing, Octarus found it a lot easier to smile when he and Maderia picked up the conversation where they left off as they walked off toward where he suspected he would be able to pick up the art supplies.

“So, how did you get into, uhh Spiritism was it?”
Octarus
Player

Words: 47979
Joined roleplay: November 16th, 2019, 3:24 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Bits and pieces

Postby Madeira Dusk on January 6th, 2020, 10:57 pm

Octarus was looking much fresher after a wash and a suitable wardrobe. He looked handsome and groomed in head to toe blue that complemented the Lhavitian style. Herself and Emma visited a next door café while he bathed, sitting outside under the awning when the nervous proprietor insisted he didn't want the ghost in his shop. Once they had met up again they were on their way to the next peak, Emma leading the way to Tain's Studio.

“So, how did you get into, uhh Spiritism was it?” Octarus asked awkwardly, attempting to reignite the conversation.

"Its in my blood. My name is Madeira Craven", the Spiritist replied simply. It had been a long time since her name meant anything to anyone. Nobody in Lhavit knew who they were, but there were very few people from Alvadas that hadn't heard of the Craven Family. Saying it again had an old, comfortable weight she had nearly forgotten, and it made her walk a little taller. "A Spiritist is a medium, basically. We work with and understand ghosts and other undead, and can affect them in ways the physical world cant."

"I've been practicing Spiritism all my life, and I'm very good, even by Craven standards. I had travelled to Riverfall to try and exorcise one of my ghosts that had a past there when I got news that I was to come here. I had been-" she stumbled on the word sold before it could leave her mouth. "-I had been given the opportunity to take part in an exchange. The Dusk Tower practice Spiritism as well, but specialize in Auristics. I was sent to solidify an alliance; uniting our families, in a way. I teach them the secrets of Craven knowledge, and in return they send to Alvadas one of their own, to teach us Auristics. So I don't practice Spiritism in the field much anymore. Now I mainly teach."

She fell silent for a moment. That was all true, but the politics of hierarchal families always run a little deeper than the surface gave away. The real reason she was sent away was because she had been at war with her cousin over the lauded family position of Favoured. So the moment she was out of sight Everard took the opportunity to put his lips to the ears of the matriarchs. She could imagine his oily, flattering words, proposing an alliance with Dusk, and insisting he knew just the right person for the job. Madeira was their most promising member, a talented Spiritist, fluent in politics and the social graces. Shouldn't they meet Dusk with their best foot forward? Now she was all but exiled, and he was safe in the knowledge that she couldn't usurp his position from the other side of the world.

Emma had led them to the Skybridge, and they crossed into Zintia. This was the pulsing center of the Diamond of Kalea, the busiest and wealthiest peak. It was full of shops and resturaunts with arguably the most beautiful architecture in the whole city, interrupted by green spaces that had all the nature sculpted away by human hands to something tamed and manicured. Madeira slipped her arm through Octarus' again to keep from losing him in the bustle.

Tain's Studio stood on the far side of the peak in one of the quieter corners, overlooking the edge of a stomach churning cliff. Made entirely of skyglass, the two story building held sweeping views of the mountains from all sides. Madeira asked Emma to wait outside while her and Octarus went inside.

The interior smelt of paint and wet clay. Half finished works were propped on easels and on shelves, and a handful of artists sat in quiet contemplation or creative fervor, bent over their projects in various stats of completion. Sunlight poured in through the uninterrupted view of the back wall that peered birdlike down to the bay far below. Madeira breathed in the atmosphere and sighed wistfully, regretting she that was never raised to be artistic.

A brown haired human in his forties, upon noticing the new customers, looked up from where he was hovering over the artists closest to the door. Upon seeing who it was a brief wing of some unidentifiable emotion passed over his face, and he moved to meet them.

"Tain", Madeira smiled politely, extending her gloved hand. "It's good to see you again", she greeted the familiar potter formally. It was a subtle attempt at diplomacy. For the last two seasons Tain had taken a hard stance against the Towers and their monopolizing control over magical education by refusing the custom of anybody affiliated with them. Which meant that after Madeira's many forays into his studio for tattoo concepts she had found herself suddenly unwelcome. The businesses that had closed their doors to the Towers were quietly opening to them again, now that the magekiller was after every magic user regardless of affiliation. But there was still some resentment lurking in the back of everyone's mind. Madeira's proffered hand was an offer for a fresh, amicable restart.

"Miss Craven", Tain greeted her coolly, but thankfully reached to take her hand after a short pause. He wasn't being overly friendly, but neither could the Spiritist detect any bitterness in his voice. It was a start.

"Sir, I'd like you to meet Ocarus. He's looking for art supplies, so I figured we'd come to you." she motioned to the man at her side.

Tain turned his attention to Octarus, and his demeanor became suddenly thoughtful. "Painter?" he guessed out of nowhere. "Typically my wife deals with the paint-and-paper crowed, but I'd be glad to help you out. I'm Tain Shan, the part owner here. What do you need?"
    x
    Madeira Dusk
    long may she reign

Words: 1599220
    Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
    Race: Human
    Character sheet
    Storyteller secrets
    Journal
    Plotnotes
    Medals: 11
    Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
    Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
    Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
    One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
    2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Bits and pieces

Postby Octarus on February 10th, 2020, 11:14 pm

Octarus hesitated and then mumbled softly to himself. “Craven” The name wasn’t exactly familiar to him, but then again, he’d led a rather cloistered life in Alvadas. His only friends there had been Dannette and Rigo. They had been the ones to find him on the beach. Neither had much cared about magic either, unless the odd poultice counted. He wasn’t quite sure what fell under that grave term. Some folk he’d met in his travels seemed to think that whatever couldn’t be explained plainly fell under that otherworldly discipline. That definition had never satisfied him, however. His existence was inexplicable and trying to puzzle out how the life he’d led added up to this one was maddening. Perhaps though he could work out a definition with Madeira, chimes willing.

“That’s quite the tale. I suppose that is fitting for a mage, though you’re the first I’ve met.” He didn’t know what to think of the alliance, but the thought of so many mages together made him decidedly uncomfortable. Like being on a ship in a storm. Even the small squalls are terrifying. Octarus didn’t want to focus on that however so instead he considered her explanation of Spiritism. It was good. Thorough for such a succinct explanation. He was starting see why she’d been sent all the way from Alvadas to teach.

“Are there other, erm... ghosts in Lhavit?” Immediately he felt dumb for asking the question because obviously they wouldn’t request a teacher if there weren’t at least a few. “I mean to say, well..” He paused, considering his next words carefully. “Does the Dusk Tower have a lot of ghosts?” He thought about asking about Auristics too, but he felt like he was already badgering with this line of questioning.

As they crossed the bridge together arms locked, Octarus kept an eye on the crowd, and structures around them as Maderia steered them to their destination. “Well I hadn’t expected Tain’s studio to have such a magnificent view, though I suppose I should have.” He said, considering the bay beyond. Truly a remarkable substance these Lhatvians worked into their buildings. He hadn’t gotten an adequate explanation of it yet during his time in the city, but it was very pleasing to the eye.

When Tain turned his attention to him, Octarus offered a small nod towards the man and considered his question for a few moments. “I don’t rightly know, but I was thinking a few colors and a brush would do for a start.” The original germ of a thought for coming here had been painting the Okomo horns for upcoming festivities might be a nice touch, but now that he was in the shop he realized he didn’t know a lick about painting besides what he’d seen people do in the Villa. That a Dannette with her canvases but that was a long, painful memory away. “I think a small brush, with some blue and black paint would do.”
    Octarus
    Player

Character sheet

Bits and pieces

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 19th, 2020, 12:59 am

Tain nodded as he listened to what Octarus needed, then asked the two to wait as he went to find what they asked for. Madeira had wandered away while they talked, and as Tain left she motioned for Octarus to join her at the massive bay window that encompassed the entire back wall. To her left and right artists were sketching and painting the bay, and all were to engrossed in their craft to pay much attention to the two newcomers in the midst.

"You never told me what you liked to paint", she smiled as Octarus approached. "I'd like to see your work sometime."

Late afternoon was wearing on, glittering gold off the snow capped mountains and the sea far below. But she wasn't looking at the view. Instead she was studying Octarus like she was memorizing him, or about to whip out a brush and paint him amoung these fervent artists. It was good to meet someone who had lived how she did. They weren't very similar, but there was a familiarity in his accent and his confusion in this towering city that made her feel just that much less alone.

Remembering his earlier question, she finally released him from her stare and looked out over the view.

"There are plenty of ghosts in every city, you know. You'll find them in disused, abandoned places, or somewhere that has seen bloodshed or violence. If you were asking if the Dusk Tower is haunted, it's not. It would be hard for a ghost to haunt a building with that many spiritists around. Now, my own home is haunted. But that's because I let it be haunted. Those ghosts are my..." she waved a gloved hand vaguely, as if trying to catch the right word out of the air. "They're my servants, I suppose. I keep them safe and strong, and in return they do me special favours. So they're completely harmless." Well, Emma was at least.

"Speaking of home," she chuckled, "I should get back.My kids are probably waiting for me." That was a blatant lie. Both of them were probably getting into mischief and were very glad she wasn't home to witness it. But she should go home just the same, to spend time with her family and get ready for her classes that night. "I hope I showed you at least a little bit of what your new home has to offer. I would be happy to offer my services again sometime. You can find me at a place called the Infinity Manor, on Zintia, if you ever want to write or drop by."

She held out her gloved hand to shake, a congenial smile on her face. "It was really good to meet you, Octarus."
      x
      Madeira Dusk
      long may she reign

Character sheet
      Storyteller secrets
      Journal
      Plotnotes

Bits and pieces

Postby Octarus on February 26th, 2020, 2:20 am

Octarus leaned against the arch of the window as he considered her question, his eyes on the view of the peaks beyond. "Okomo horns. I'm hoping it won't be too hard or else I've put you through a lot of fuss over nothing." He grinned, and continued. "But no matter, here we are now as the saying goes." He watched her as she starting speaking again. His mind flashed to Dannika, and what she might say if she were in his place. She was dead, but still very much with him. Coming to Lhavit was supposed to be an escape, but perhaps she was still fresh in his mind still all of these seasons later. A question hung on the tip of his tongue but he bit it back. Some things went better unasked.

"I supposed I should have realized that, but you never know till you ask right?" He chuckled, taking in the view over the peaks again. There was a pleasantness to this place that made his baggage easier to carry. He hoped it would stay that way.

"Of course, I'll try to catch you again sometime. Thank you so much for your time, it was a relief to run into another Avalad." He reached out, and took her offered hand, giving it a brief shake. "Thank you again" Octarus said as he dipped his head and turned to an approaching Tain. Paying for his supplies, he left the studio and started his slow way back to the Villas.
      Octarus
      Player

Character sheet

Bits and pieces

Postby Madeira Dusk on March 15th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Octarus

Skills
      • Observation: 5xp
      • Acting: 1xp
      • Subterfuge: 1xp
      • Planning: 4xp
      • Socialization: 5xp
      • Endurance: 1xp
      • Phycology: 1xp
      • Rhetoric: 2xp

Lores
      • Lore of Lhavitian fashion habits
      • Planning: the plan B backup
      • Acting: faking offense
      • Madeira: an Avalad
      • Madeira: a Spiritist
      • Madeira: works for Dusk
      • Emma Chamelle: Madeira's ghost
      • Endurance: catching ones breath
      • Phycology: self examining
      • Madeira: a brief history

Awards & Retribution
      +Gold Ring

You didn't write out a ledger in your post for the clothing or art supplies Oct bought in this thread, and I couldn't find them on your ledger in your CS. If you've decided you don't want them please alter the posts. If you do please update your CS with the information. Thank you!

Notes
      <3

Madeira Craven

Skills
      • Planning: 3xp
      • Negotiation: 1xp
      • Acting: 1xp
      • Endurance: 1xp
      • Auristics: 1xp
      • Subterfuge: 1xp
      • Politics: 1xp

Lores
      • Negotiation: recognizing a scam
      • Acting: stringing a scam
      • Octarus: works with Okomos
      • Octarus: an Avalad
      • Octarus: fragile connections
      • Octarus: uncomfortable around ghosts
      • Subterfuge: concealing how much is known
      • Politics: reconciling political differences
      • Octarus: a brief history

Awards & Retribution
      +Ring, gold: -20gm, gifted to Octarus

Notes
      Notes here.
      Madeira Dusk
      long may she reign

Character sheet
      Storyteller secrets
      Journal
      Plotnotes

Previous