Family Training Session

Finished

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Family Training Session

Postby Vigor on January 28th, 2020, 9:48 pm

29 Winter, 519

A light breeze whipped Vigor's face as he made her way quietly through the city in the early morning. After being harassed (at least a dozen times in a week) by his younger cousin, to train with him, he finally gave in despite his obligations. In all honesty, the young Vigor would have appreciated spending more time with her, but her schedule just couldn't allow it. He had a lot to do for his family and a lot to do for his own training regimen. Huntura, Vigor’s cousin, had arrived from her home town yesterday, as well as her parents, and Vigor didn’t always have the mental will to spend his free time on family matters

Vigor had tried to refuse his younger cousin’s requests which put him in a delicate position, but he had been unable to stand up to her father who was very insistent, and had been forced, despite himself, to accept. Help people that might be future competition? Vigor called it poor planning, nothing more. But the presence of comrades always at his side was enough to motivate him to work harder. Nevertheless, the idea of messing this up made him uncomfortable, and anxious, he inexorably slowed down his pace. It was then that the deep voice that had become customary resounded inside him, as if to cheer him up.
"Vigor, I’m worried about my family,” Huntura told him. Though she was younger she always did have an understanding that Vigor never did. “They have more power over me than you can imagine. We have to be there to protect each other, of course, but one day it may not be enough." she seemed to hesitate for a moment, then decided not to say any more.

Vigor broke out into a run, to get the blood flowing, and replied "I know very well that they are a little cruel, but I will not give up so easily. I am sure that this feeling is not foreign to you."

"Of course not! You cannot imagine what I and my friends felt when they drug us into danger?” Huntura said, and Vigor felt she had better change the subject. His younger cousin had no difficulty keeping up with Vigor, as she was much more lightweight and nimble than he was. Vigor kept his legs pumping and focused on improving his breathing patterns while running. His cardio needed work, and the only way he was going to improve it was by running more often.

"I guess this is why you wanted to go out to explore with me." Vigor could not help laughing. They kept running jovially, until Vigor found a deserted place, between two leafy trees. Then, concentrating, he began looking. He could have sworn he had seen something moving. A blue streak slowly appeared, like curls of smoke, before taking shape. Then it disappeared into the foliage. He continued for a few minutes, then when he opened her eyes he knew he found it. “I’ve got you,” He said.
502 wc
Last edited by Vigor on January 28th, 2020, 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vigor
Player

Words: 9225
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2020, 2:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Family Training Session

Postby Vigor on January 28th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Before him stood a cat. Small and fluffy, it was in fact only a large kitten, halfway between the clumsy little kitten and the weaned adult. Her silky, slightly ruffled coat was blueish and was what had drawn Vigor’s attention. Its sapphire color gave it the appearance of a satin soft toy that we wanted to cuddle for hours. The kitten sneezed loudly, and Vigor’s guest giggled. It was then that an imperious voice rose in the air! A strange voice, subtle mixture of that of a sage and a child.

“HI there,” said the cat

The Vigor's eyes widened and realized that the voice came from the kitten! She stared at him with her furious eyes, the hair up, and the claws out! She mewed as aggressively as she could, but only a ridiculous groan shot out of her throat, redoubling the girl’s hilarity! For only a short time, because the strength of her laughter was matched only by that of her cry of pain when the cat started struggling.

“Let me go,” said the cat but the voice was off. Vigor turned to see that it was Huntura that was doing the talking.

“How did you do that?” Vigor asked after letting the cat go free, “your voice, it came from the cat.”

“That’s just ventriloquism silly,” Huntura said between gasps of air. She was laughing quite a lot now.

“How do you do that?” Vigor wanted to know. Who knows, maybe practicing this witchcraft would help him in some way.

Once Huntura calmed down, she said, “just make a voice like you think the cat would make, then act like a cat. It’s that easy.”

Vigor held up a hand like a puppet and made a high pitched voice, “like this?” Then they both started laughing. It was far too early in the day to take things seriously. Vigor didn’t think himself much of an actor but he’d make a fool of himself to make a relative laugh anyday. They played make believe with their various voices and whatever they could make a puppet out of for hours until finally settling on going to the training area to practice their combat.

They left the two trees and a big smile spread across Vigor’s face and came to illuminate him. Huntura’s face lit up too, since she was bonding and her big cousin had finally agreed to spend some time with her! She had just arrived in town but already wanted to train again and again to hope to reach new heights. The prospects of learning something new was simply sublime to the young girl.

Their enthusiasm took Vigor to the training ground in no time to say it, and as he was ahead, he took her time to observe the place. It was the same training area he had visited earlier in the season. Vigor swept up one of the larger practice blades and tried to hold it in his hands. It was a greatsword, a wooden one at least. It had a lot less weight to it than a metal one, which was the only reason he was able to even lift it. He took a few minutes just getting used to having such a heavy weapon in his hands. It was so different from a dagger or even a longsword. So… heavy. Just taking steps with it was more difficult than he thought it would be as it made him so top heavy. He felt like a gust of wind would be all it took to send him teetering while wielding this blade.

598 wc
1100 total
Vigor
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Family Training Session

Postby Vigor on January 28th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Vigor walked slowly over to a training dummy and held the blade out in front of him. He felt his muscles strain to keep the large sword upright and used a great deal of his muscle to pull it onto his shoulder to rest it. “Okay, just one swing. Then tomorrow, two swings,” he coached himself. At least resting it on his shoulders wasn’t so bad. It let him calm down and focus on the task at hand. All he wanted to do was do one swing, a vertical slash to hit the training dummy. It was probably going to take all he had to do it, so he focused hard on keeping himself balanced. “Here… we… go…” he grunted and tightened his grip before stepping forward. The heavy blade fell towards the dummy, hit its shoulder, then slid onto the ground. Vigor stumbled forward and ended up pressed up against the dummy. “Ow.”

He hadn’t been strained for too long so just a tiny amount of sweat had accumulated onto Vigor’s skin. He didn’t intend to keep using the greatsword anyways, but it was nice to get some practice since his heirloom was a ‘real’ one which was probably a lot more difficult to handle than a wooden one. “How did dad do it,” he wondered while dragging the blade on the ground behind him. He felt a different set of muscles working as he pulled the heavy blade to the rack from which he got it. It used his back muscles, and his legs, both of which strained under the work they’d been given. It wasn’t too unlike all the laboring he did for work, but it was different in its own way.

After putting the blade away, Vigor went back to check on his cousin who had taken to practicing her punches on her own. She liked shadow boxing, as it let her escape. While training she no longer had to worry about all her family worries. Vigor smiled when she saw her bare fisted punches. She, like himself, preferred to attack "with her bare hands" despite what her family had taught her about weaponry.

Meanwhile Vigor picked up another practice blade. This one wasn’t a greatsword, but a longsword. It was just a one handed wooden sword that was in dire need of replacement. While his cousin pranced around and struck imaginary targets with her hands, Vigor chose his own target. They were branches, low hanging for the most part. He swung at them, missing most of the time but sometimes landing a satisfying blow that sent shivers up hus arms and down his spine. He enjoyed whacking branches because it was typically low risk and high reward. It was hard to injure yourself when attacking something so thin and since the wind moved the branches they provided entertainment value and challenge.

WC: 476
Total: 1576
Vigor
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Family Training Session

Postby Vigor on January 28th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Soon the branches bored him and Vigor needed to find something else to occupy his attention. He ran around this time and tried working on his agility and acrobatics. He hopped from point to point, trying to build up his speed and accuracy even though it was incredibly difficult to land his mark. He couldn’t keep it up for very long because he wasn’t strong enough to jump far nor did he have much experience with landing and tumbling. It only made his legs ache. He rested up against a wooden crate while watching his younger cousin. Huntura chose her target, and hit one of the wooden rails that demarcated the training area. She only succeeded in hurting her own wrist. Huntura winced in pain. She was going to have a hard time getting better if she was hurting herself with as little force as hers.
A few grains of dust came to settle in Huntura’s eyes, carried by the wind which was blowing lightly through the area. She shook her head to remove them. "I have to compensate for my lack of strength by hitting pressure points,” she told Vigor, “but if I focus too much on just that, I will end up leaving myself open." Vigor wasn’t as learned as her so he just shrugged. It made sense to him. Just watching his relative’s learning process was entertaining while he recuperated. Like Vigor, Huntura liked to test things and experiment; instead of using a single blow to take someone out, she preferred to combine several small attacks and surprise her opponent. Perhaps some of her thought process had come from Vigor over the years.

Vigor got up, finally ready to try hitting something a little bigger than some branches. He was about to strike a tree when she heard someone else arrive. He turned his head and saw Huntura running at a sprint. She ran towards the newcomer at full speed, shouting for him, then, when she had reached his level, she jumped in his arms. “Hi daddy,” she said gleefully. “Ah, well this is as good a stopping point as any,” Vigor said with a shrug. He didn’t want to wear himself out too much, anyway since he had work to do later in the day.

He wasn’t any great shakes at conversation, but he at least tried to talk to the father about what he had been up to lately. The conversation devolved as it usually did into a verbal altercation ending with the father telling Vigor that he was wasting his life as a laborer and that he should get a more proper job to make his deceased parents proud. That little bit of poor socialization soured Vigor’s day. How was he supposed to remain positive after that?

WC: 463
Total: 2039
Vigor
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Family Training Session

Postby Madeira Dusk on March 15th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Grades Pending

If you return please contact me for your grade!
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)