[Sanctuary] Moving on [Kavala]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Fade on December 31st, 2010, 11:58 am

28th of winter

Fade walked towards the sanctuary leading Cahira by her bridle.
She had given up trying to ride, she was too sore for that and the horse too tired. Her bag had badly chafed against her shoulder but her thighs were the problem, either from bad riding or for the long distance she had travelled or even both she was bloody and raw.
But Fade went ever onward, moving on it was the only thing she could do until she found...found what exactly she didn't know but hope led her on. She knew she couldn't wander for ever but she could try, because she hadn't other options really. She had travelled all her life it was in her blood.

She spotted the Sanctuary and a small smile formed on her lips, she increased her pace slightly peering around and stopping in front of the gates suddenly hesitant. She gazed at the courtyard and sprawling low buildings in wonder. She stayed there for some time suddenly unsure.

Fade's blonde white hair fluttered in the wind as did her dress whose low cut just revealed her Ranuri nestled under her collarbone she patted Cahira's neck biting her lip slightly.
Fade
Player

Words: 105680
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2010, 10:58 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Kavala on January 2nd, 2011, 9:18 pm

ImageFirst rides were important. Kavala took the training of horses seriously. She worked them completely on the ground until they were confident and knew exactly what she wanted. Then, once they were ready, she kept adding gear and weight until a rider was just another accessory. Today she was mounted on top of a frostmarch mare who had only been purchased for breeding and nothing more. She came with no training, but Kavala believed that even her brood mares needed to be trained to ride in a pinch. This mare was no exception. And though she was pregnant, she wasn't by and large huge enough to make any difference to the konti's light weight and slow methodical easy training methods.

So Kavala was having herself a first ride and it was going well. The mare adjusted well to her voice commands being issued from her back rather than from back behind her or from the seat of a cart. All Sanctuaries horses got cart trained before they were presented with a rider. Having the commands move from being ground 'driven' to 'cart driven' to 'ridden' was just another step and had gone easily for the mare. She wasn't the nervous sort, and beings that it was high winter with lots of snow in the arena, the frostmarch was in her element and feeling playful as well.

When the visitor walked up to the gate, Kavala felt confident enough to transfer her attention from the green broke mare she was riding to the woman where she lingered, confused whether to come in or not. Kavala suspected that the woman was actually too tired to really open the gate and invite herself into the massive courtyard and the gate gave her a good excuse to keep walking. Otherwise, without her mare limping or looking otherwise hurt, and the girl herself limping, Kavala figured it was soreness or exhaustion keeping her out of the saddle.

"Come on in."
Kavala called, raising her voice and hoping it kept the mare under her settled. She offered the animal a pat, shifted her seat and turned the mare to gently guide her over to the edge of the arena. "Bring your girl up to the post here, and I'll be with you in a moment." Kavala said, slowly sliding out of the mare's saddle. She wasn't babying the horse, but rather making sure her sudden movements didn't startle the mare. Over the course of the next couple fo days Kavala would introduce more rapid-fire mounts and dismounts, then do so without a saddle and then finally ride the mare without any tack at all Drykas style. She wanted the animal used to everything if at all possible so she had to give the forstmarch lots of exposure to see that happened.

Slipping off the saddle, tossing it gently over the rail, then Kavala slipped the bridle free and clucked to the mare to send her off to play in the arena. Then and only then she turned her full attention to the woman whom she assumed by now had crossed through the gate and made it up to the arena.

Human. White-blond hair. Beautiful. Kavala's eyes trailed to the mark on her collarbone and recognized it immediately only for the fact that her sister Akela had one as well. Her surprise was tangible even as her concern grew. "Are you alright? Your mare looks exhausted and by the way you are limping you look like riding isn't a option any more. Are you injured?" Kavala asked, slipping beneath the nearest arena rail and joining the woman on the outside of the arena.

"My name is Kavala. You are welcome here. Your horse needs some attention though I'm afraid. Do you mind?"
Kavala asked, gently taking the reins from the tired woman without really giving her a chance to ask. She gently clucked to the mare and wrapped a warm arm around Fade and guided both of them to the nearest open stall. Kavala left Fade to lean against the wall on the stall door while she lead the mare into the roomy box filled with thick straw and began stripping off her tack. Fade's bags went over the door so Fade didn't loose sight of them but the rest of the tack was hung up at the back of the stall out of the horses reach but where any sweat could be dried off even in the cold. Kavala would clean it later. For now, she gave the mare water that wasn't frozen, threw fresh hay in her feeder, and gave her a measure of grain before she brushed her coat completely down and threw a blanket over her.

"You've both been on the road a bit haven't you
?" Kavala asked gently. Then, quietly, she ran her hands down the mare's legs, checking for injury and picked up each of her hooves, dislodging only a small stone from one of the mare's frogs. Then, with a satisfied pat, Kavala turned back to Fade.

"You need some attention too. Come to the veranda with me and I'll grab you some warm tea and soup. You look like you're sore as well. Perhaps I can help with that?"
Kavala asked, looking concerned.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fade on January 3rd, 2011, 12:53 pm

Fade smiled gratefully at Kavala as she took charge and watched as she examined Cahira. She entered the big courtyard aprehensivley and as she was led to the veranda she said "Thanks, Kavala. I'm Fade and this is Cahira" She glanced at her horse "and yes we have been on the road for the long time...actually we're always on the road" She smiled wistfully.

She liked the woman, she was kind and energetic. She made Fade feel at ease, and Cahira it seemed, she watched aprehensivley as a stone was removed from her hoove...it explained much. She watched as the strangley glowing woman fed the horse.

"Not injured as such, my thighs are quite raw and my bag has chafed my shoulder badly..." She gestured at the angry welt on her pale skin, it looked quite infected too.

She coudnt but notice the expression on Kavalas face when she noticed her mark but she didnt comment. Many considered it a curse many just...plain valuable.

Afraid she didnt seem gratefull enough she added quitley "Thanks again..."
Fade
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Kavala on January 5th, 2011, 4:56 pm

ImageKavala nodded. "You should be careful traveling alone." She left it at that, but Fade could see a flash of something momentarily in her eyes - a worry that was backed by past experience. Something bad had happened to her traveling alone - something really bad. Kavala said nothing though, and began to cobble together the fixings of soup as she added a pot over the stove filled with water. Next sliced vegetables and dried chunks of venison were added next along with a whole host of spices. Kavala let that begin to cook and then turned and poured some tea.

"It's nice to meet you Fade. I'll get something for your thighs too."
She added, then went looking for some ingredients. She returned with a bulb-like root and showed it to Fade. "This is candlevine. It's great for sore muscles. You add it to whatever you have that will work on your muscles, like mint and halison which is an alcohol, so when its in a cream your thighs will be better almost immediately. Just keep them coated and the aches will go away. If its caused by riding, you'll hurt, then hurt a lot, then slowly it will get a lot better as your body gets used to all the time in the saddle. Nice mare you have there, by the way." Kavala said, making conversation. It was unusual in Mizahar to find people who automatically treated injuries and then sat folks down to feed them or give them medical treatment without asking for payment or compensation of any type. But Kavala seemed absolutely comfortable doing so, even with complete strangers.

Kavala chopped up the candlevine root, added in mint and halison and then added this mess to a small black pot. Fade would notice that Kavala had a lot of black pots out by the outdoor fireplace, though she cooked food in none of them. "What brings you traveling to Riverfall?" Kavala asked, curious as she stirred the soup and used a black spoon to poke at the other mixture, the medicine, that was on the fire.

"I train a lot. I'm trying to get stronger at a few things and this mixture will help. I'll have some for you to take with you on the road too." Kavala said. She looked like she did train. Her clothing was comprised of black work leather, a white sleeveless tunic, and a thick leather belt. There were two daggers hanging from the belt and another one that was stranger looking tucked into the small of her back. A belt pouch held a blowgun and its darts while tall boots protected her feet.

Kavala wasn't soft but rather looked like she trained hard... perhaps as hard as she tried cooking and nursemaiding everyone at Sanctuary who'd let her.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Fade on January 5th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Fade noticed the pained flash in her helpers eyes and just nodded saying "Many times though...careful is not enough..."

She gazed upon the root listening carefully wishing she had such a thing before when she was training, now the big aches and pains were over but it was an acrobats saying which stated "If you wake up in the morning without pains you are probably dead"
She smiled at the almost too gracious pale woman and said regarding her mare "Yes, her name is Cahira..."

She watched as the woman chopped up ingredients strangely not using any of the black pots around eyeing her no nonsense attire and daggers.
Why was she in Riverfall? Fade thought for a few moments and tried answering the question "To have a place to go to? To find something, and to be someone...not something." It was the crude truth as long as she had a destination she had a reason but take away that what was she?

She lapsed into silence and then her curiosity kicked in "You train in what exactly? Because...maybe..uh if you need help in acrobatics I could help you...you know in compensation for all this" She gestured around.
Fade had often helped people with their acrobatics from Syliran knights to lone travelers.
Fade
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Kavala on January 6th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Image"She has a beautiful name." Kavala said softly referring to Fade's horse. The Konti smiled slightly, and nodded to herself as if making a decision. "That settles it then, Fade. You are staying here for at least a season or longer if you'd like. Here, as in Sanctuary or Godiva's in the city if it makes you more comfortable. You and your horse definitely need a rest. We're planning a ball coming up here soon and I can use help for the preparations. Also, there's other reasons." Kavala said, looking thoughtful.

A seeker on a quest for themselves was a serious thing. But Kavala knew one couldn't wander always homeless and alone. Fade needed some downtime, and a place to hold up during the worst of Mizahar's Winter when Morwen walked the world and things bloomed in Avanthal. "Winter is no time to be out and alone. You can stay here. There's no compensation needed or wanted. But truth be told if you do know acrobatics, I'd love to learn. I'll teach you what I can in return as well - if I know it and you're interested. I train to be stronger than I am now. I train so that I can't ever be a victim again. And I train so I can protect others from being such as well." She said firmly. "There is great need in the world, don't you think?" The konti said, then checked on her medicine in the black pot and took a moment to stir Fade's soup in the normal one.

Tea was topped off with Kavala pouring herself a mug and sitting down finally to visit.

"I was born on the Grasslands among the Drykas. My mother was answering a Call there to aid in a plague on horses. She was an animal healer. I have one sister who lives here, and several good friends. I am bound to Riverfall's service until such a time as I produce a child for the men here because when I visited Mura and my mother's people, on my return I was captured and enslaved by traders. They made to sell me to the Zith for food or pleasure. The Akalak rescued me. They gave me what you see here in return for my promise to help them survive as a people. They are dying off and there is nothing they can do about it unless women like us help them. And so it is that I am here. We all journey, Fade. I don't think where we go matters. I think it is far more critical to consider what we do along the way." She said softly.

Then she smiled at Fade. "Where are you from?'

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Fade on January 6th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Fade smiled at Kavalas words and recognized the sense in them. "I'll be happy to help in any way possible" She said her voice suddenly lighter.

She listened to the woman observing her every movement. Fade loved listening and people thanks to her mark usually opened up more easily to her.
Kavalas last remark caught her off guard "There is great need in the world, don't you think?" Fade sighed "You don't have to think, just gaze upon the world around us...and yes, there is great need"

She shifted slightly as Kavala sat down and listed to her unfortunate story, but alas she couldn't do anything. The past was untouchable and words couldn't alter that.

"I don't know exactly where I was born or who my mother was. I know I was born a slave as my father was bound by debt and he was short lived..." She sighed "My owner had this circus and I found solace in training and then performing as a contortionist, it got me out of his presence at least...for some time...well...until I was a little older. Then I was marked" She tapped her Ranuri "And that complicated things: my value reached new peaks" She glanced down and said slowly "A year later my owner died and I left, been wandering ever since"

"I guess you're slavery was a bit different from the last year of mine" Her voice became almost dreamy "At least with me I have almost no consciousness what so ever, and actually I feel good after performing duties for my owners whatever they may be" She shook her head and shut her mouth suddenly very, very self conscious of what she had just said.
Fade
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Kavala on January 12th, 2011, 5:01 pm

ImageKavala's compassion went out to Fade. She reached out and took the woman's hand, her mind only focusing on the desire and need that Fade be happy and find comfort. The Konti nodded and swallowed, then spoke quietly. "Fade, my sister was captured by the Zith. Within their confines she too was marked with Ranuri, so I know a little about it. I cannot under any circumstances understand what it is like to live with something like that, but I know she's both noble and proud. I imagine you are the same way. Akela lives here, with me, as well. We have an unusual situation. She 'serves' me to keep from feeling compelled to serve others. And my needs focus on the overwhelming desire for her to live an independent life and be happy. So far it's worked out. But I know what it was like when she was unbound. Anyone and everyone could have her in ways that would make my stomach turn, and she'd enjoy it." Kavala said softly, releasing Fade's hand with a squeeze.

"I often thank Nikali for she allowed her to survive her confinement and what would otherwise be an intolerable situation. My own was vastly different. I was riding between Mura and Endrykas when my horse galloped into a tripwire. I went down hard, thought my horse had broke his forelegs, and woke up in a cage of slaves bound for someplace called Castle Xy. They used me on the journey, daily, sometimes hourly, all of them and I had no choice. One of them even decided to carve me up because he enjoyed his ladies coated with their own blood and screaming while under him. He was a manipulator of the worst kind. I'm still a little off because of him. Pleasure, true pleasure, doesn't feel quite right without the sharpness of pain. And a knife wound to my skin brings ... well, you understand. They used me until I didn't know who I was anymore nor did I care. An Akalak raiding party saved me and the rest of the women in that wagon twenty four days later." Kavala said softly, looking thoughtful. She wasn't telling Fade this to scare her or make her own situation seem somehow not as important. Kavala simply told her Fade knew she wasn't alone anymore. Akela was here, and so was Kavala who also knew the harsh realities of slavery.

"Now the city of Riverfall owns me until I pay my contract off. They call us Nakivak, which is an honored term here. We're theirs until we have a child or two for them if such a thing is possible after such confinements. You'd be welcomed here, Fade, with open arms as I imagine you'd be welcomed almost anywhere by men. They would give you the world, but I have to warn you. Humans rarely birth their blue offspring very easily. Most of the human women who were in the caravan with me, the ones the Akalak saved, have been put under contract. I anticipate less than half will survive a birth. But you... they'd give you the world not for one of their children, Fade. They'd give you the world for how much good you could do for them simply being what you are. It is not an easy thing to love the Akalak or to even understand them."
Kavala said thoughtfully, and then shook her head. "But many of them deserve understanding and love." The konti said.

Kavala checked the progress of Fade's soup and then carefully looked back up at her. "You deserve some peace and quiet though. Regardless of where you go and what you decide. I'd love it if you'd stay here for a while. And you'd definitely have to tell me about the circus. I've heard tales of traveling people and animals, but I've never seen such a thing, ever." Kavala said, her eyes full of wonder.

The soup was ready so Kavala dished up Fade a bowl of it, adding fresh slices of bread to the side. A little dish of butter and seasonings were added to the table. Kavala topped off her on tea and sat back down.

"I think it would be hard not knowing where you are from. Akela and I are sisters born out on the Sea of Grass to the Drykas. We never really belonged there, as much as we love our family. And being raised so far from Mura, we never belonged there either. We're still trying to find our place, you see. Here, however, seems to be a good mixture of both. " Kavala said thoughtfully then continued.

"You said you are well trained in Aerobics. Is there anything else you like doing? Akela practically sleeps with her Katana and everyone around here is well versed in unarmed combat." Kavala asked curiously. She didn't want to know just randomly, but rather she wanted to know because she wanted to understand how able and willing Fade would be to defend herself if the need arose.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Fade on January 18th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Fade almost jumped out of her seat as Kavala made for her hand, but then she didn’t move or do anything to discourage the action though. She was rewarded by desires for happiness and independence. Fade could only marvel and slightly nod at Kavalas words, she could only wonder at the kindness the woman had in store, the desire to do good so precious and rare among all peoples.

She listened avidly as Kavala explained to her about hr sister and how she served the woman, it seemed too good to be true. She had never thought about it, she had never imagined that people could be so helpful after enduing so much from the world, and Kavala had endured.
She understood but not wanting to interrupt she simply nodded and smiled.

The Akalak, Fade listened and confused she asked suddenly afraid to be pushed into things she really didn’t understand “So, I have to become a Nakivak o stay here?” She looked confused “But then you say that they would welcome me even though I don’t bear a child…I’m sorry if I misinterpret, it’s just my lack of knowledge in such things…”

But she let her curiosity get the best of her and she asked quietly “And after all the suffering you have endured…how can you be, well like this?” She gestured around “How can you be so kind and not bitter…” She closed her eyes for a moment and thought, there were many possibilities…maybe she was in front of an extremely strong person, or on the other hand a quite mad person, or a very false person, or again, a very very rare person or a very broken person. To have such mental stability after slavery, a cold shiver ran down her spine.

Fade decided she would like to meet this Akela, thinking about Kavals question regarding other activities she wanted to learn or simply liked doing she answered “I would like to learn any type of fighting, not full contact, that would create some problems. I realize I’m at a loss for such disciplines, it’s not a common thing they teach slaves…” She chuckled and started to eat slowly matching Kavala, not wanting too seem rude wolfing the meal down even though she was hungry.

“Ah the circus” Fades eyes winkled “I was very much confined and watched as you may guess but yes the circus is quite a magnificent beast…It’s a palace of mirrors were everything is distorted into some kind of other world and everyone seems dazed. The torches, the acts they all create this distortion of reality in which people can relax and, well…spend their mizas in…The fire eaters, knife throwers, the jesters, hypnotists, the acrobats and contortionist all weaving an atmosphere of wonder. But behind the magnificence lies the beast: the training, the pains, the travel, the falseness, the drunkenness, the malevolence and envy. But when it’s your time on stage the world is yours for the shaping…” Her voice was light and almost dreamy, she missed performing and it was quite evident “You live for the crowd and start hating the body that wakes up with all sorts of aches and pains, you want to be the one admired in the spotlight, performers live for that…In my case you hate the end of the show and the other performances that await you in more private places, you hate and love every moment of it all.” She shut her mouth eyes downcast.
Fade
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Kavala on January 27th, 2011, 5:22 pm

ImageKavala met Fade's eyes, looking deeply at them and trying to see into her heart. Had Fade been a horse or a Kelvic of any sort, Kavala could have known for sure. Instead, all she could do as read her gaze to judge the strength of her character. And in Kavala's experience, Nikali did not mark those without strength. Fade had to have had it in measures to be born a slave to a circus. She eluded to 'performances' in other places besides on stage and Kavala nodded. She knew Fade's mark made them pleasant for them and yet she wondered if in the darkness and stillness of time alone if Fade didn't hate herself just a little for liking them so much.

Ranuri was often far more of a curse than a blessing though it allowed one to survive the unsurvivable.

But Fade was confused, deeply so, and Kavala quietly set her straight. "No, no please don't misunderstand me at all. I'm a poor excuse of a teacher and worse at explaining Akalak Culture. If you owe the Akalak a debt, then they will make you into a Nakivak and ask you to breed for them. But you are human, so doing so would likely kill you. Do not do it, please, not ever, for their children are hard to bear and often the birthing kills the mothers who are of human stock." Kavala said softly.

"You can stay here at Sanctuary as long as you like. We have guest rooms and we also have a large common room we all sleep in upstairs at night Drykas style if you are not shy. You can take the quest quarters or just outright join us if you'd like. I'll give you a large chest to keep your things in and so long as you don't mind Kelvics piling around you for warmth when it gets cold, you'll not be harassed and no demands will be made of you at all other than you'll be given your share of chores around here. Everyone that eats helps out be it throwing hay to horses, shoveling manure, or helping in the medical clinic. You could even potentially teach acrobatics. Hatot is building a martial arts center across the road from us and maybe you could make arrangements with him to use his space for teaching. You could eventually open your own business." Kavala suggested.

Discretely she refilled Fade's soup bowl and added more bread to the edge of her tray, spreading it thick with butter. The woman was travel worn and weary, Kavala could tell.

"There's a lot to be said for staying here, Fade. The Akalaks are a rich and generous people. And if your mark demands things of you, they would be willing as well, if that is the sort of business you'd like to start. There would be wealth in it, enormous wealth, especially here were there are very few women. I could make sure your life is never threatened with an unplanned child until you wanted one. But you could do anything here, really. Anything. Surely you have dreams and goals. Everyone does." Kavala broached the subject delicately. It was something she'd asked her own sister. Akela had been exclusively a pleasure slave to the Zith and Kavala knew that sometimes she missed it, though knowing Akela, not as much as she missed the potential to slit more Zith throats.

Kavala studied Fade thoughtfully again, loving the way she described the circus. Kavala had never been to one, but like everyone else on Mizahar, the reputation of circuses far proceeded themselves and she'd always wanted to see one.

"You know, it sounds as if your time in the circus, and your experience there, has really prepared you for something greater. I cannot imagine all the things you've learned and lessons and questions you've answered in experiencing what you have. You'd have a lot to offer others, Fade, in terms of helping them. But I suspect you need some time to yourself first and time to lick your wounds and discover just what it is you want to do. Take that time here.... won't you?"
Kavala urged.

Last edited by Kavala on February 1st, 2011, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next