Solo Arrival

An Otani appears in Syka

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Arrival

Postby Onaona on June 7th, 2020, 5:24 am

1st of Summer, 520

Captain James Chaliva sat on the Syka dock with his feet in the water and his guitar across his lap as Syna fell into the jungle behind him. The last of the Veronica's cargo had been offloaded bells before, the crew having dispersed across the beach to lounge in the sand or partake in Stu's liquid hospitality. But the Captain stayed, making a quiet concert of the creaking dock and the lapping waves as he sang.

"My name's Able Rogers, a shareman am I
On a three-masted schooner from the Isle
I've been the world over, north, south, east, and west
But the middle of nowhere is where I like it best"

His voice was rich and deep, but his calloused fingers couldn't quite reach the same melodic quality. He strummed absently for a few moments, testing the notes, when he head a voice answering from the waves.

"Where it's wave over wave, sea over bow
I'm as happy a man as the sea will allow!"

A voice, breathless and feminine, rose up. The man squinted into the glare off the water and spotted the clear, swift shape of an Otani closing in with purpose a couple dozen meters away. Tucking his feet beneath him he picked up the tune again.

"I've sailed the wide oceans four decades or more
And ofttimes I've wondered what I do it for
I don't know the answer, it's pleasure and pain
With life to live over, I'd do it again"

This time the answer came much closer, the beast slowing down as it approached. It's voice was very rough for an Otani, especially next to his own sonorous song, but it was still belted out with shameless enthusiasm.

"There's no other life for a sailor like me
But to sail the salt sea, boys, sail the sea
There's no other life but to sail the salt sea!"

In no time the Otani was almost directly beneath him, churning the water into a rolling boil as she dipped beneath the surface to gather herself before launching out onto the dock a moment later. James cringed away as he was summarily soaked with the spray, and he heard a strange metallic jangle as the Otani slapped onto the wood with a small threadbare sack under her arm. As she righted herself he wiped salt water from his eyes and looked over his new guest. She had a human shape, but in a rather whitewash way, like she was the medium of every human woman rather than a unique one herself. She didn't cast a shadow, instead the last of Syna's golden light shot through her and distorted on the dock beside her like the reflection on a cave wall. Pinpoints of bioluminescence were starting to sprout on her shoulders and the top of her head.

"So, you're the little beast that's been following us from Riverfall", he began conversationally, like he had been waiting for her. Turning his guitar over he shook drops of saltwater from its hollow centre. "What took you so long?"

She ignored the question, or perhaps didn't hear it. Her attention was captured by the shine of the burnished guitar he was settling back across his lap. "You make such pretty noises", she laughed, the sound coming from the top of her throat in a kind of delighted bubble. "And you have such pretty eyes. We will be good friends. Do you love your sea-father?"
Onaona
Player

Words: 41677
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2017, 3:09 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Arrival

Postby Onaona on June 7th, 2020, 5:28 am

"Yes I do", the captain nodded patiently. His hand reached up unconsciously to rub at the Oceanus gnosis that was cresting just above his collar. "Laviku has been very generous to us, and the seas here are teeming with life." His eyes slid from the Otani's open, curious face to the sack between them. "What have you got there?" Obviously intrigued, he slowly reached for the bag while keeping both eyes on her. Immediately, and somewhat predictably, the Otani's body rippled, taking on a venomous red hue as she pulled back her lips and hissed from deep in the back of her throat.

"Woah", the Captain pulled back with a chuckle, hand turned outward in a pacifying gesture. "Easy girl. I guess if things start to go missing in our community we won't have to blame it on the Svefra again, will we?"

"Woah", the Otani parroted back to him. The red hue had slipped from her glassy body as fast as it had come, her expression levelling out as if nothing had happened. "Woah", she tried again, her head cocked to the side and her voice deepening as she struggled to reach the easy cadence he had used.

"Yah, I didn't mean to test you. Why have you followed the Veronica out here?" he asked again. "Did you want something?"

Finally the Otani looked at him straight on, her pupiless eyes wide, saltwater running down her face like tears as she announced: "I want you."

There was a long beat as the Captain simply stared, and one could almost see the gears turning as he tried to untangle the many very different meanings that might have. "Do you mean... Syka?" he clarified rather desperately. "Please tell me that was a collective 'you'."

"Syka?" now it was her turn to be confused. "Oh blue, blue, my baby blue. What do I want with your land? I want you! All of you." The Otani was an awkward creature out of the water. She rolled to her feet, standing on the dock with her feet braced like I she was on a rocking ship. The last of the sunlight created a golden corona around her narrow body, gilding her in light as her hands reached outwards towards the dots of firelight that lined the shore."I want your songs and your hearts and your passions and your reverence. Your father is here, rejoice! He has come to give you his bounty and watch as you grow. Give him you offerings and prayers and may you all bask forever in his love!"

The Captain sighed mightily, patting his pockets and grimacing as he surfaced with a sea-soaked pack of tobacco. "I suppose I'll have to let everyone know we're going to be neighbours, then. You even brought your luggage, so I suppose you're here to stay." He put the packet away and made the effort to smile up at the moulding that stood over him. "We should introduce ourselves. I am James Chaliva, one of the founders of Syka. What's your name, beast?"

The Otani returned the smile, her liquid eyes crinkling in the corners. "I am Onaona."
Onaona
Player

Words: 41677
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2017, 3:09 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets