Closed A Dream of a Walk[Octarus]

Mortiz and Octarus meet under unusual circumstances...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

A Dream of a Walk[Octarus]

Postby Moritz Craven on July 5th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Moritz was many things. Someone who let things go, left questions unanswered, was not one of them. Unconsciously he began to tilt his head downward in annoyance, a body signal that on an Okomo would mean they were about to charge. On his small human body it looked quite different, particularly since on a human normally such a motion meant the opposite. He kept his eyes up, but subtly titled his head down as he stared at the man.

Not only was he not listening to him, as many adults seemed to do, he was also ignoring much of what he said and asked. Not nice, to say the least.

Still, he did answer some, which assuaged Moritz to a degree.

"Magic? What is mageorsomething to do with magic? I... Think I've heard of it before, my mother spoke of it. But... Something to do with... Yeah I don't think she explained it well, so I don't really understand it. She does some kind of magic with ghosts, but I don't know much more than that. Something about cutting up ghosts and turning them into shoes or something... Yeah not sure she explained it very well. She wasn't very clear. Funny, since she teaches it to others, you'd think she would be good at explaining it."

This of course was an understatement, since when his mother had last explained magic she had done it in a fashion that caused immense confusion in the child and a general misunderstanding of what it was or how it worked.

Moritz was confused by the mans next question, on if he was an Okomo all the time or... Some of the time? Did his eyes not work as well as his ears? Gesturing down at himself Moritz responded the query.

"Do I look like I have an Okomo body right now? Clearly my bodies not one all the time. I have an Okomo body when I want to be, and this when I want to be. But being an Okomo isn't about being big and having horns and things. Its who I am. I'm always an Okomo, always me, even if I don't look like one. And my name is Moritz. And if your gonna ask my name, isn't it polite to give yours first?"

As the Ethaefal spoke on walking in his sleep, Moritz shrugged again.

"I mean, if I was asleep, how would I know if I did it before? No one has said I have before, and I've certainly not woken up in a different place than I fell asleep in. Think I'd remember that. "

Seeing the fruit Moritz picked up a piece and began chewing on it as well. It tasted good, better than the grass, and he was quite hungry, One piece led to two, and three, then four... And so on till there was none left if the man did not intercede or stop Moritz from eating it all.

"Fruit yes. Bread... Whats in the bread? Whats it made of? Not sure if I eat that or not. I don't eat meat, or stuff from animals. No one asked a chicken to give its eggs. You wouldn't shave an Okomo for its fur without asking, would you? Then why would you take a chickens eggs? And Okomo eat whatever we want, that we can get. If you haven't seen us eat fruit, its because we weren't offered any. Grass and stuff just tends to be around more. But if we can find something tastier, we'll eat that. Not sure I can eat grass well in his body, not like in my other one."

"So what do you do, besides living in this house and wearing horns that don't work?"

WC: 621
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Octarus on July 6th, 2020, 5:03 am

He was as ill equipped for this conversation as he was for chasing down an Okomo in the dead of night. Octarus had probably spent as many years as this boy on this world, yet the child apparently could not understand him. Or at least not following the conversation in a way that made sense to him. His life up until this point had been thankfully devoid of such concerns because he could scarcely get away from his own problems. An given his state, taking care of a tiny human was something he had done well to avoid until now. Not that you could call this caring, but it was toeing closer to the line than he was comfortable with.

Mage or something. Break the words a part, I can hardly understand you running them together like that.” He said, about to continue when he considered that last part. “Wait you said ghosts? I’m familiar with a lady who keeps such company. Perhaps she would know your mother? I can’t imagine there are to many people around in that line of work, so she must know her.” Octarus mused, potentially finding a way to get this boy back to his parents once things had settled somewhat.

At the boy’s next verbal volley, it was his chance to be taken aback as he stumbled through his next response. “No, of course not. I was meaning just- petch. I’ve never met an Okomo boy before, I don’t know how these things work. I.. Octarus. That’s what they call me anyways.” He said exasperatedly, shrugging his shoulders. This was becoming a mental battle that he was not equipped for. Suddenly he felt trapped in his small home though he quickly registered that feeling as irrational. Still, facing this boy with questions for days, he wondered why he had decided to intercede with the disoriented Okomo in the first place. Because it was the right thing to do was the obvious answer, but that didn’t mean he had to like the taste of it now that it was time to eat crow.

Suppose you’ve got a good point there. I don’t know if that is possible really. Maybe a healer would know, or even your mother. Could be it has something to do with her work. Ghosts are strange, unpredictable creatures in my experience.” He said, idly watching as the Moritz finished off the rest of his food.

Bread is made out of grain. I think you’d like it. Much tastier than that grass anyways. I work at the Okomo Villa currently. Grooming, feeding, and cleaning, hence why I had the grass on me. What do you do when you are not out wandering the night in your sleep?
Octarus
Player

Words: 47979
Joined roleplay: November 16th, 2019, 3:24 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Moritz Craven on July 6th, 2020, 9:18 pm

At the correction in pronunciation Moritz shrugged again, a common human gesture he had picked up on.

"It sounded like one word when you said it the first time I didn't know it was more than one word, I haven't heard it before. Mage, or something. Whats a Mage then? If its the word."

"As for other people who deal with ghosts, I cannot say. Its apparently a family thing. I know she teaches others, ones not part of the family, but I don't know any of them. So maybe she would know her. Or not, I've no clue. Who is this person you know of? The one who deals with ghosts. Maybe I've heard of her. "

At the mans discomfort Mortiz smiled a bit, just a crack of a the lips, his head tilting back up to a normal angle.

"Octarus. So is that a... Safeful name? Don't think I've heard of it before. And I'm an Okomo, which you said you know of, and a boy. I'm assuming you eat food don't you? If not, then that'd explain why you don't know what boys eat... Or do Safeful's eat differently than others?"

Moritz pondered over the mans words, before responding to his last question.

"I'm a boy. I do what boys do. I learn. I go to class, learn my letters and things. I go to my combat teacher and train. I climb things. And sometimes I wander about as an Okomo and harass people trying to spy on my house. Well that last one only happened once. But still something I do I guess."

WC: 267
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Octarus on July 8th, 2020, 1:18 am

Perhaps I was too free with the term. A mage is someone who can do things we can’t explain, or I can’t anyways.” He thought about that night way back when he’d stumbled across the crone’s corpse with Madeira and Dev’Ania in the park. Many strange things happened that night. Stuff he was struggling now to put into words. It was as hard to make sense of as it had been when he’d just appeared in the water one day, without any reason at all. Such was his lot in life to be surrounded by such mysteries.

His eyes narrowed as Moritz continued to speak about his mother. She was starting to sound quite familiar to him. A woman with a family that dealt with ghost coming to Lhavit to teach another about them. There couldn’t be too many that fit that description. “Would she happen to be learning Auristics from this other family?” He practically blurted as the thought came to him, and then taking a moment to compose himself, spoke much calmer. “Your mother wouldn’t happen to be Madeira would she?

The thought left him mortified in regards to how he’d acted so far around the boy, and ran a nervous hand through his dark hair. Quite the mistake that. He should have known with his fortune it would end up being that this Moritz was related to someone he was familiar with. Not only that but a very powerful woman from what Octarus had seen. He chewed his lip anxiously as the conversation progressed.

Ethaefal, yes. Though I didn’t pick the name. It was given to me by the woman who found me on the beach. I emerged into this world full grown with little memory of what went on before I arrived. I don’t need to eat in this form so long as I’m out in the moonlight. Hence my confusion.” He said almost apologetically, feeling a whole lot more deferential now that he knew who this boy’s mother was.

It sounds like she keeps you quite busy. What sort of combat is she having you learn?” Octarus asked, genuinely curious. He was wondering what a boy his age should be learning instead of playing in the fields which is what he assumed all boys did till they got to around his size. In all of glimpses of the other lives he had lead, he didn’t recall exactly what he himself did as a boy save for playing in the tall grass. The sort of grass he’d only seen in person a long time painful time ago.

I didn’t have a boyhood so to speak, but I suspect it has got to be interesting having Madeira as a mother.” He mused, even cracking a grin. “Does that girl ghost still hang around her?” The ghost was still creepy to him but he leaned forwards, interested in hearing what the boy thought of her.
Octarus
Player

Character sheet

Postby Moritz Craven on July 9th, 2020, 12:06 am

Moritz considered and pondered once more, listening to the mans words. Before he had said something of magic, and then of a mage, and now... Something else. His explanations seemed about as good as his mothers, perhaps worse.

"Someone who does things you can't explain... So like... A doctor? I don't understand what they do. or, there is this guy at my school, teaches math and stuff, he does stuff I don't understand and can't explain. Like that?"

At the mention of his mothers name Moritz turned to meet the mans eyes. It seemed many people knew his mother, but he was not expecting this random person to know her as well.

"Don't know who Auristics is, but my mothers name is Madeira. I guess you know her then? Guess she didn't mention her son then..."

Moritz said this last bit in a dismissive manner, already walking off and continuing his inspection of the room. It seemed to him somewhat sparse, at least for a human. His own room was likewise bare, but then he was him and this was another.

At the mans explanation of how he came to be, Moritz furrowed his brow in thought. Was he being honest? Or making things up? Hard to tell, and the young kelvic was no master questioner. But then, he did know there was something odd about Ethaefal, special among Lhavit... For some reason. The reason the man gave seemed to fit the details he had been given before.

Being born into the world full grown... Or not born, emerging. Like when he ducked under the water, and emerged from it afterwards. Meaning... If he emerged into this world, he had not been in this world.

"If you emerged here, then where were you before? Had to be somewhere, right? Emerge is... Coming out. So had to be in another place, before."

He also seemed able to feed on the light of the moon, and so not needing to eat properly. He had not been overly serious when he had said that before, but it seemed -according to the man- that he had been right. By accident at least.

At the question of his training Moritz turned again to meet the mans gaze, only to turn and continue his pacing as he responded.

"She just helped me find the teacher, sort of. She doesn't have me learn anything. I wanted to learn. My teacher picks what I learn. I learn whatever she wants me to learn. Mostly stuff without weapons. "

At hearing the man not only did not recall most of his past, but also not remembering his childhood and things like that, Moritz was puzzled.

"If you don't remember who you were, or what you did, how do you stop from doing the same things wrong as before? I mean if that's the case, you could have already met a boy who was an Okomo, and just not remember."

"As for ghosts, male or female, you'll need to be more specific. That doesn't narrow it down much. That could mean many different ones. You got her name?"

WC: 517
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Octarus on July 9th, 2020, 9:55 pm

With Moritz next question, he felt more lost than before where magic was concerned. His mind wasn’t make it any easier as he sought for a way to explain how it was different from the general things one might not know. Then he began doubting what he thought of magic the more he struggled to differentiate it from not knowing a more common subject. Could it really be like that, just some easily explained knowledge that he didn’t know about? That didn’t answer about why it was so rare, but he didn’t know how else he could explain it. “I suppose that is a good way to describe it. I certainly don’t have enough of a grasp for it to understand how it is different from other things.” Octarus settled on with a shrug, and decided this might be good for him. He certainly hadn’t been challenged like this since that night seasons past. It felt good to test himself with these sort of questions, instead of just reclining his nights away. He often daydreamed at work, but never about stuff like this.

She did not, though we’ve only met twice before. It has been a while since I’ve seen her, but..” Not that long he continued, looking at the boy. “How old are you?” He asked, scratching at the side of his smooth cheek. Octarus didn’t know how to tell the age of children, though looking at the boy he was figuring somewhere around the age of twelve or fourteen years old. Maybe that was different for boys who could turn into Okomo but he wouldn’t know unless he asked.

What was even more interesting was the fact that Madeira had a son, and recalling that day, he didn’t remember hearing any indication that she had one. That information didn’t change anything save make him curious to see if Madeira was half Okomo too. Had he seen her in the pasture and not recognized her. That drew a smile across his face, though one he quickly replaced with a neutral expression as he realized that might be weird in the scheme of things.

That certainly sounds like Madeira. I suspect you got that from her as she seemed particularly keen on learning when I met her.” Octarus didn’t infer that off of their first meeting, but at the second when she had proved how capable she could be. It was clear to him then that she was much more worldly than he was, and he had been content to have her lead the investigation from that point on. In fact, he had been keen to leave the whole thing for them as dealing with murders was certainly something he didn’t want to busy his hands with. He tried everything he could to keep away from such things, and his own painful memories on that account. Speaking of, he shifted his focus to the subject of his fall and ghostly guests.

I remember not even a whisper of what came before. Just vague notions of a life quite unlike this one in a tongue that escapes me when I put any thought to it.” Then remembering who he was talking to, he let out a long sigh. “I cannot describe it. There are times I can feel it, like I’ve brushed against an invisible shroud but after that brief touch it is gone again, and it is a few years down the road before I brush against it again. Other lives I’ve lead come easier to me, but fragmented in such a way that it is hard to string any narrative to make sense of the parts. I could be riding a horse across the sea of grass in one while in a blink I’m in a city enclosed on all sides by walls, were the light of the sun never reaches and there are only torches to guide you. Strange things that are such a struggle to make sense of I have stopped trying.” He said defeated, taking in a deep breath before breathing it out again. It was easy to get lost while drifting among the tangles of his mind so he focused on something he was certain of. Possibly.

I think her name was Emma, ghost of a little girl that was pleasant for the most part.” He winced as he remembered that night the ghost girl had seen the corpse. It didn’t take much to remember how she sounded on that night, a terrible sound that was in part the reason he avoiding some of the old haunts he had encountered Madeira by. “Do you know Emma?
Octarus
Player

Character sheet

Postby Moritz Craven on July 10th, 2020, 1:41 am

The more Moritz talked to people, the more Moritz dug into things and tried to pull them apart, the more he tried to investigate matters and understand, the less he felt like he understood. Or perhaps the fact he understood what he did not understand was a mark of understanding?

Such thoughts were just as confusing as the rest when he pondered them, and left him no more clear on matters. Regardless, he felt he understood a bit more about the man and the matters he spoke of. Namely that he did not think the man understood well what he spoke on. But then neither it seemed did his mother... So perhaps that was something he had learned. Many spoke on things as if they understood them, but in reality they knew little more or no more than to whom they spoke.

At the question of his age Moritz turned his head upwards, looking at the sky as he thought.

"Lets see... Its summer now... Spring, summer, fall, winter... 520... So that will be one, two... And one, two, three, four... Four and two... Uh... Five, six... Six seasons old. Yep, at the end of summer, I'll be 6 seasons old. Since I was born the 1st of Spring... 519. So however many years that is. Or less, since I'm not that till the end of the season."

Turning back down to meet the mans gaze, Moritz finished his ponderings and math. He was still new with math, having learned a bit in school but still grasping at things. Simple addition and subtraction were about as best he could do. But perhaps with some more lessons he would learn better.

"Math is hard, I'm still learning it. I'm better with reading and stuff. A bit. What does my mother learn? I haven't noticed her talking about anything, besides ghost stuff. You said something about Auristics? Who is that?"

At his explanation on where he emerged from Moritz was more confused than all the other answers the man had given put together.

"That...Doesn't really explain anything. You aren't very good at explaining stuff, maybe you should take a class to learn how to explain stuff properly. I mean most adults lie all the time, least seems that way, but not much better if you seem to tell the truth but don't make any sense. Least ways, you seem to be telling the truth when you aren't assuming stuff. I suppose that's not really lying then, its just... Being lazy in your thinking."

Focusing on one bit, Moritz puzzled some more, unsure on something.

"How can a Sea be made of grass? Isn't a sea water? And wouldn't a horse fall into it, if its a sea? Do they make horses that can walk on Seas?"

At the mention of the ghost Moritz frowned, his head lowering again. Emma. She was a ghost he knew, though did not particularly like.

"I don't know, I haven't seen her in a bit. She hangs around mother more than me, so I wouldn't see her so much even if she was around. But... I don't like her much. She plays too much. She just pretends to be and do things, like she's... Copying people. But she doesn't understand. I don't understand most of the time either, but I don't go around pretending to be mad or sad or things."

"Plus she almost got my sister killed, playing around like she was mad and copying people and hitting an Okomo my sisterr was sitting on. My sister's a fox, not an Okomo though. So she's older, but smaller when changed."

Considering the man, Moritz pondered over his words. The man seemed mostly honest, even if he talked like he understood things when he did not. But overall he seemed honest.

"Well, if there is nothing else... Maybe I should just walk home. I know the way."

WC: 650
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Octarus on July 10th, 2020, 11:03 pm

Octarus cocked his head at the boy. Only six seasons? That didn’t sound right, The boy looked much older, but then again, what did he know of children. He had not known a childhood either so he supposed the same could be said for this one as well. Still, he was old enough to have been in Madeira’s life when he met her so he must have been at one of those classes he spoke of. That didn’t explain why she was out putting herself at risk at night with a child at home, but this wasn’t the time to judge her on that.

While he thought all that, what he ended up blurting out was. “You grow fast.” It wasn’t wrong, but it felt a little simplistic for his tastes. However he couldn’t take the words back now, and with a boy like this, it was sure to go commented on. Octarus just bore it like he did the rest before continuing on to the next subject.

I don’t know. It was something your mother mentioned in passing, and I didn’t pry. I tend to keep to myself when I can, so what I know of your mother is what came up casually between us. The other time I met her, we were a little bit preoccupied with other matters.” Octarus said, in turn giving an exasperated sigh when the boy suggested he take some explaining classes.

I’d rather not. Classes are a dreadful waste of my time.” He said, though that wasn’t exactly true about how he felt. Octarus had liked them once, back when he had been in Riverfall though he’d scarcely started them before the hunt for the Vantha started. All the unpleasantness of his life started after that, so he got a sour taste in his mouth when he thought about taking classes again, even though he might yearn for certain answers to things in his life.

That is just what they call it. It is a rather tall stretch of grass that extends for a very long time. I didn’t end up venturing out into it for obvious reasons, but there are horses, yes.” Octarus said, rather curtly. It was intrinsically connected to that sore time for him, more so by the fact that his mortal form had born marks connecting him to the region before he’d had them obscured.

His face fell upon hearing about the fate of Moritz’s sister. “I’m sorry to hear that about your sister. That must have been hard for you. I never liked the ghost much either.” Octarus said, wincing at the idea that Emma had killed his sister. It was a dark thought to put on the ghost of the little girl, but he didn’t doubt the boy’s words.

I can walk you back if you want. I’ve got nothing better to do tonight.
Octarus
Player

Character sheet

Postby Moritz Craven on July 11th, 2020, 12:26 am

Responding to the man in kind, Moritz stated simply "Or maybe humans just grow slow."

In one respect as a kelvic Moritz did age much faster than most others, but from his perspective humans were just slow about things. Learning, growing, aging, doing. He had plans, and was working towards those plans.

And once more he spoke such that his words made clear how little he knew about things. He brought up this Auristics regarding his mother, but now admitted he did not know what it was. Just a term he threw about but did not understand. Which confirmed another piece of his earlier assessment of the man.

He enjoyed picking at peoples words, pulling at the threads of their meaning and things, to understand the truth behind what was said. Looking for contradictions, inconsistencies and the like to understand them better. With all the lies so many spoke, he was coming to find such was the only way to ferret out bits of truth.

It was something he did not understand. Why humans, or perhaps adults, felt the need to lie and pretend and show off by lying and pretending when the truth would serve. Pretending to know things and bandying them about, but showing when pressed that there was no substance to the words beneath that surface layer.

"Maybe you just haven't found the right thing to study, or the right teacher. Heck, even I could teach you. I seem to have a knack for being honest which most adults don't have. Although I suppose there is more to explaining than just being honest. But I think its a big part of it."

At the explanation at the word sea Moritz pondered more. A sea, as in... An expanse, or a spread of something. Normally water, but also other things apparently. Like grass.

"So could you have like... A sea of bread? Or a sea of fire? Just a bunch of something spread out?"

Then his mind turned to the image of a long expanse of grass. Grass needed dirt and such, which meant it wouldn't be all stone and such like the mountain here.

"I guess there are places not here, with lots of dirt and stuff, and lots of grass growing, which aren't water either. I don''t know, its hard to picture. I've never left Lhavit. Its pretty much just mountain here. And the water around. But mostly mountain."

At the mans reaction to his words, Moritz frowned and turned to meet the mans gaze in annoyance.

"How many times do I have to say, stop assuming stuff! Gah, try listening to what I said for once. I said she ALMOST got my sister killed, not she did! You think she'd still be hanging around if she killed my sister? That my mother would let her? Pull the rocks out of your ears! And I said my sister IS a fox, not was. I mean whats the point of even talking if you don't listen..."

Moritz continued to grumble for a few moments, before heading for the door.

"You can walk with me if you want, I don't care. No rule saying you can't, is there?"

WC: 530
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Octarus on July 11th, 2020, 9:52 pm

Octarus didn’t know what it was about that simple statement save to say that it just resonated with him. In a few simple words, Moritz had revealed a cord that had been plucked long ago. “Slow to grow in mind and body. They’re given so much time to waste on mindless hatred. Would they were born like you or I, do you think the world would be a better place?” He swallowed, his mouth abruptly dry. Octarus paused to retrieve his waterskin, taking a hasty pull of it before sitting back down at the table.

The thought of Moritz teaching him was rather amusing until he realized the boy was probably right. He’d probably learned more from Madeira in his handful of seasons than Octarus had in his years of puttering about the region. His small smile faded in a flash as he regarded the boy a little more seriously.

It probably wouldn’t work, learning from him, but that wasn’t the boy’s fault. It was a problem with his own character. He wasn’t entirely sure he could put his pride aside to learn from someone so young.

I suppose I should keep looking.” He mused aloud after a few ticks.

At the boy’s next suggestion, the grin was back to stretching across his face. “It could happen. Maybe only in dreams, but it would be a sight to see.” He shrugged.

The smile quickly disappeared as he realized that he had only been half paying attention to Moritz again. All of his questions really tended to get him in his own head, but he didn’t relish trying to explain that to the boy. Instead he nodded, getting up to follow Moritz to the door.

My mistake. I was projecting on to you there. I heard what I expected you to say, and not what was actually spoken. It won’t happen again.” Octarus said seriously before opening the door.

After you.” He said, letting Moritz take the lead.
Octarus
Player

Character sheet

PreviousNext