Solo Cold to the Bone

Rohka grapples with a process of recovery.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Cold to the Bone

Postby Rohka on October 25th, 2020, 4:16 am

Sometime in the Fall of 520 AV

"Here," said Markham, handing her the notebook. "Write it all down in here."

They sat in a plain room, bare walls, a few candles hanging from a ceiling. She was dressed in a cotton gown under sheets that smelled a bit musty. There was a freshness to her body though, as if she'd just been cleaned recently. As if there had been water and soap recently washed and dried off her skin.

Rohka blinked, staring down at her journal. She brought a hand up to tuck her hair behind her ear, scratching the back of her neck nervously.

"You can write whatever you remember, okay? The doctors said it would help with getting yourself back into the world. I need you to focus on this. You owe your father this. The more you write, the faster you can get whatever it is that you wanted." He paused, shifting the weight of his being from one foot to another as he loomed over her bedside.

"If you still remember what you wanted, that is," he said, softly.

Rohka felt her eyes water, as if there were tears that needed to flow. She held them, noticing them, before letting it go. They stained her dress with droplets of wetness. She saw this and felt herself become tense. It was hard to watch herself like this, hard to stay patient with the fact that she was now a patient in this place.

"When," she croaked out, before clearing her throat. "Can I leave?"

Markham closed his eyes. He knew she would ask this eventually. Rohka had only been awake for a bell, and already, the only thing she cared about was getting away instead of dealing with what was real right in front of her. It maddened him to see that she still hadn't learned, after all this time being out on the seas and in different cities, and travelling on a boat with the crew. It was as if her selfishness was just as thick, full, and flowing as the blood in her veins.

He opened his eyes and sighed, putting on a smile for her. "Soon enough. Based on what you write. We don't know how much damage was done, and whether you'll be able to work for a living. We need to know what you retained and what you lost. We need to know where you should be placed. You haven't walked for a long time now, so we'll need to take a look at that as well. All of that could take days. Start with this, and then we can go on from there. I figured this would be more helpful than having the doctors question you and you refusing to answer, like you've been doing. You wrote so much while you were on the ship, so maybe reading your past entries will help you too. Do you want me to leave the room?"

She shook her head. The journey into consciousness came with its questions, but she wasn't sure if it was the right time to ask them. Rohka hadn't seen anyone she recognized besides Markham since she'd awoken. She wondered what it was that she needed to prioritize. It didn't seem like writing needed to be the first thing.

She trusted Markham, though. If he says that's what she needed to do first, well then it seemed like that had to be true. Her head began to hurt immediately, realizing that there was something else she must have missed in this question he asked. Did she want him to leave the room?

"Can you come back in a bell or so?" she asked, looking away from him. She stared at the corner of the windowless room, seeing a crack in the stones of the wall. This unfamiliar space immediately felt cold to her as she shifted a bit more, pulling the sheets up. She brought her gaze back to the leather journal, closed and sitting on her lap.

Markham placed a quill and ink vial on the bed. It gave him confidence to hear her speaking and asking questions, if nothing else. "Give me a shout if you need anything. Don't strain yourself. This isn't a hurry. Whatever you're thinking about, just write it down. And if you have questions, write those too." He didn't know what else to say. The doctors had briefed her on her location. He wondered if he should be talking about her family.

Almost instinctually, as if she'd picked up something in his expression, she spoke up. "Where are my weapons?"

The sudden interrogation shocked him. Her tone was almost angry, as if she held blame. He tried his hardest to hide the pain in his face and voice, realizing at once that it had been his own influence that made her ask the question. "Your belongings are being held elsewhere. You will not have access to them right now. I need you to focus on your healing journey, alright?"

"What about my cards?"

To this, he sighed. This was a question he knew would come.

"No access. It took a lot for me to get you this journal, and that was simply because I'd convinced the people here that it would help you recall more of what you've been going through. So please, Seeker," he said, invoking the identity he knew would be inside of her.

"Okay," she said softly. She closed her eyes.

Her eyes stayed shut.

With a deep sigh, Markham left the room, the door shutting behind him.

WC = 924
Last edited by Rohka on November 1st, 2020, 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most active on weekends.
Rohka
So?

Words: 428949
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2013, 5:28 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Cold to the Bone

Postby Rohka on November 1st, 2020, 6:58 am

Rohka settled into her bed, feeling the sheets resting over her bare feet. A shiver passed through her body, as clouds of memories passed over her mind. She picked up her journal and stared at the cover, feeling the leather binding before opening up to the first blank page.

She didn’t want to read the past just yet. It felt so far away, like a lifetime ago. There was a great weight in her being, like several stones had been piled over her inner world. Uncovering that which needed to be expressed could only be done one word at a time. She knew that it was what Markham referred to. It was suspicious, almost, that he’d been aware of her writing while they travelled.

Picking up the quill, she dipped it in the ink and began to write on the pages of the book that sat in her lap:

Hating that I’m awake now. Wishing I could go back to sleep. So much more to face now. Zeltiva, they said. Healing Centre, is where I am now.

Words feel like they are garbage tools to use when describing what I’ve been through, to you.

Rohka had begun a habit of speaking to Rhysol in her journals. In a way, she knew it wasn’t really Rhysol that she was speaking to. If she was honest, which she usually unfortunately was too honest, she would admit that she was speaking to an idealized divine love. An other, or a more deeply known internal knowing, that she was happy to confide in and learn from.

Words are all I have right now, though. I’m afraid to read what I’ve written to you before. I know I messed up. Or did I? I wanted to leave and that’s what I did. But…

You did. You did leave. And that’s been good for you. You’re here now. Start here. Continue here. You trust me, don’t you?

Not only did Rohka begin the habit of confiding in a lover… but she also imagined them speaking back to her. She rationalized it as an exercise in expanding the reaches of her logic and critical thinking. Or at the very least, she imagined it to be like playing make-believe. A friend she could speak to when no one else seemed to understand or have the time to get to know her deeply.

I do trust You. My love, my light, my everything. I’m alive because of you. I’m alive because you allow me to be alive. That which is my soul is now writing in this journal, due to your influence. Your control. Your all-powerful will to see me live. Do you see me now? Here, in this room, recovering for you?

What am I recovering from?

WC = 470
Last edited by Rohka on November 1st, 2020, 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Most active on weekends.
Rohka
So?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Cold to the Bone

Postby Rohka on November 1st, 2020, 6:59 am

Rohka blanked for a moment here. She remembered this feeling. Forgetfulness over events in her life that may or may not have happened. It was here that she knew she could go back and read her previous entries, but quickly resolved to continue writing in the present.

What happened?

Rohka heard creaks behind the door, realizing that there were people outside. She heard murmurs, but couldn’t make out what they were saying. Recalling all that Markham needed from her, she resolved to let the words come from what she began to call ‘Within’.

You travelled. You got out of Ravok, thanks to Markham. He took you out of Ravok purely because of that power of yours. He knew the dangers it had, though he trusted the insights of Lelia enough to let you be the its keeper. He respects your journey and use of it.

Your father could not find a way to leave. He entrusted you to find out what happened to your grandfather. Be thankful that you are here now, to find out. Your family is safe in Ravok.

Rohka was aware of how dissociative she sounded when writing in this way, but there was a comfort and clarity in it that was never present when writing as herself. Speaking from ‘Within’ held a deep sacredness that she never knew could exist. It was helpful too, to see the words as if they were written to her.

It was never a lonely practice.

Tell me the truth. Tell me what happened to make me bed-ridden. Please, it’s almost as if I can’t admit it to myself. Those doctors told me so many things, and I find most of it so hard to believe. How healthy am I now? How soon can I begin again? I don’t want to be stuck again.

I know, love. I know you. Read the next few words carefully, and do not panic:

You died.

WC = 331
Last edited by Rohka on December 13th, 2020, 3:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Most active on weekends.
Rohka
So?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Cold to the Bone

Postby Rohka on November 1st, 2020, 6:59 am

Having written the words down made her heart begin to beat faster. Sweat began to form at her temples, and her throat started to get dryer. She took a deep breath and thought of her God to help her calm down. She noticed the candlelights above her flicker, the flame dancing in a room with no wind. It guided her attention to focus on the melting wax, slowly moving to the edge of the leaning candle.

It dripped on the floor, away from sight.

How? Why? When?

It was here that she could feel the sleepiness hit her like a brick. An old, familiar anger began to swell in her stomach. Right at that point, she remembered a bit of her training at The Mystic Eye. Greater awareness of that which can inform the reality of existence builds strength through effective meditation.

Rohka focused on her breath. Deep breath in, deep breath out. She began watching and noticing her body as it stayed still, yet there was still movement and pain and little bits and points and tickles and pin pricks all around her. She felt the edges of the imagined stones, breathing in to them one at a time as she continued to write.

You were murdered on the ship. Psychologically murdered. Learn this aspect now before you continue forward in healing. You will notice scars on your body. You fought them. You fought them hard. They wanted you to do what they told you to do. You did it all to get here. Getting here was the plan. Getting here is what matters. Getting to ME.

Rohka repeatedly underlined ‘me’ as if it was something she knew she didn’t want to forget. It was a sign to her. A sign that there was more to come, being here now. Being here meant that she could understand what was real to her and her sacred truth. Being here meant she could listen deeply without the fear of disappointing family. Being here meant building the trust needed to build a life. A REAL life. Not one in the shadows of the Calicos.

Though, she owed so much.

Getting to you had its price.

Rohka let go of her quill and looked around the room once more. It felt immediately maddening to her, to see the area meant for temporariness.

The price of freedom is what it is. You died for that. Be grateful for that. They treated you like a slave for their dirty work so that you could pay for their plunders and trickery. It is their life that they chose in order to provide for their business. You, now, have the choice to live a different life.

Talk to Markham honestly. Get him to tell you the truth. Or at least, as much of it as he possibly can tell you.

The doctors told you that you got sick. Delirious malady that made you go in and out of consciousness for many days. They weren’t sure if you were contagious. They saw wounds on your body, they healed them as best as they could. You didn’t answer them because you know if you answered them you would be breaking a code of honour to the crew that you were a both a salve and a slave to.

Your death was necessary for your survival here. Thrive here. Absorb and provide knowledge here.
Dance here.
Sing here.
Cook here.
Shop here.
HERE. With ME.
Learn to see how much I truly love you.

WC = 590
Last edited by Rohka on November 1st, 2020, 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Most active on weekends.
Rohka
So?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Cold to the Bone

Postby Rohka on November 1st, 2020, 7:00 am

Markham sat by her side near the foot of her bed and nodded when the young sybil explained herself. She described how grateful she was to him, for bringing her here to heal and learn from writing down her thoughts. She then asked him, cautiously, if he knew all along that she died on the ship.

“Yes,” he said, looking into her eyes. His hand reached out to hold her knee over the covers. He wondered whether it would be necessary to tell her about the actions she took, and the words she spoke.

Markham had been suspicious of her for a long time. He knew she would’ve told him if she used the 'ring', but he wondered if she would've remembered whether she used it. What happened if the wearer of the ring's power was on the brink of death and reversed time?

It also seemed like she had no memory of Krish. That was a whole other story that didn’t seem right to go into right now. His death may have caused much of what she was experiencing now, but the Artraveller was wary of breeching the natural process of grief, in case it was something she may be able to articulate and integrate in the future.

It was odd to him to notice the flashes of blue in her eyes, though. He rationalized it as her aura’s changes and assimilation to the new environment.

“Keep writing whenever you can. Let’s get you settled properly. Can you walk?” he asked, eager to see her development.

Rohka took a deep breathe in and shifted her legs out from under the covers.

She froze.

The deep, biting cold struck her like a knife to the heart. It was a pain she couldn’t understand. That familiar anger now boiled in her as she tried to move once more, her bare feet touching the stone ground. Several waves of shock moved through her body, the shivers now uncontrollable. Markham quickly called the doctors in as her own consciousness began to fade. She felt blankets and something else being clothed onto her, she felt someone bring a cup under her nose, and felt herself breathing in the smell of something pungent.

It helped. She felt herself coming back.

“I’ll stand now.”

Markham offered his hand to help. She shook her head and glared at him.

“I’ll do it myself.”

She took a deep breath. She counted to ten.

She knew she needed to talk herself into it.

I know you can do it. I know we can do this. Remember that I love you. Remember that I’ll love you forever.

She stood up.

And it was unmistakeable to Markham now. Her eyes flashed blue again, and this time, the aura was clear.

Krish lived. He lived in her.

WC = 465
Total WC = 2780

Continued here...
Most active on weekends.
Rohka
So?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets