Closed The Depth of Information[Caspian]

Moritz and Caspian meet at the Outpost

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

The Depth of Information[Caspian]

Postby Moritz Craven on November 27th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Moritz watched as Caspian checked him over, having seen it done before though not quite in that context. He assumed from how it occurred it was in reaction to his note of learning how to fight, which left Moritz to suppose that Caspian was as ageist in that regard as others and assumed someone who was young could not fight or learn to.

Of course Moritz had learned that in truth the opposite was the case, and that many fighters began young. He was after all not the only student of his instructor Kyra, and she mainly took on youth such as Moritz. Better he supposed to teach them before they gained bad habits and other bad assumptions which would be difficult to work out of ones fighting style.

Caspian also seemed confused as to how Moritz was fighting, based on his next question.

"In all the ways. With my body. With a weapon. I mean, you aren't always going to have a blade in hand, or someone might disarm you. If that was the case, then you'd be defenseless if you only knew how to fight with a weapon. So she teaches both together, armed and unarmed, so they can be blended together for a greater whole in regards to combat ability. And she's teaching me some other stuff as well related to combat. How to bend and stuff, how to think with tactics, and all that. I mean if you only learned one, it'd be like just wearing one shoe. Fine as long as you only step on that one foot, but not much good if the need arises for the other."

Letting out a sigh Moritz gazed off for a moment in thought as things turned back to family and his families business.

"My mother is a spiritist, ghosts and things. That is the family business. I suppose knowing how to fight would be useful in that as well, not all ghosts are nice and friendly and want to play nice. Some can be violent and angry and try to attack. That is also what she wants me to do, though I'm not sure what I want to do with my life. To her that is the only thing I could end up doing, becoming a spiritist like her. She doesn't even consider I might not want to be one. To her, it is my only path. But just because she is my family, and thinks she has made a decision for me, that does not mean it is the best decision for me or the one I will take. Sounds kind of like how things are with this girl, if she's unhappy with the match they intend and they don't plan to give her any choice in things."

"Not everyone puts up for themselves in the same way, maybe this is her way. Just because someone is older, or your parent, doesn't mean they know you best, or what you should do best. But like I said, if she is here and doesn't want to go, is that against what her family wants, are you going to drag her off? Is your job to give them information that leads to the girl, and that is it? Or is it to bring the girl back? I think there is a rather big difference between the two, and you'll find the latter to be rather difficult if my understanding of the rules of the place are correct. And does your agreement only say to give them the information? Or can you give it to anyone else? Like me? Or say, the girl you are trying to find? Seems more fair if you were to do that, give them the information and also to let her know who you were telling and what you were to say. Well, assuming that even is the situation, I guess until you go and talk to everyone you won't know. But still, consider what I said."

Unsure how unfeeling Caspian truly was, Moritz puzzled over the man. In many respects he was unfeeling, but he still did his best to do the right thing. Whereas Caspian seemed to be saying, from what Moritz understood, was that the only choice was caring and let emotions guide you and not caring at all and following the person with the largest coin purse. Moritz felt he himself tried to walk a finger middle ground, a steeper incline harder to walk but more the right for it.

As he went to speak though he noticed Caspian's nose was bleeding, odd since he had not seen him be hit. He was unsure what the cause was, but seeing as he immediately took out a clothe to dab at it he assumed this was not the first time this had happened.

"Whats wrong with your nose? What made it bleed? Do you have some kind of injury from before?"

Pressing on from the odd bleeding for no reason, Moritz met Caspian's eyes for a moment as they walked before continuing his words.

"If you hand someone an axe knowing they plan to kill a chicken with it, you as well as killed that chicken. Enabling someone to do something is the same as doing it. Just because its your job doesn't change things. There is a difference with not being emotionally involved, another with not caring about the outcome so long as your end result occurs and you get paid, and another entirely of looking at things logically and realistically and making the most fair actions for everyone involved. One means letting your emotions guide you, never a good idea. One means letting whomever pays enough coin guide you, regardless of the outcome. That seems a way to become a slave as easily as having chains. The other though is doing what logic, the facts, and the truth dictate, which might mean more work but also means having the best outcome for everyone. I would think that would be the best choice. Everything is not all or nothing, not caring at all or caring to much."

"There is always a middle ground, and that is were truth, logic, and reasoning comes in. And I would think there are ways to both help the girl, and to keep your deal to her family. Of course if you just want to be lazy and take the easiest route, well then that is up to you."

"And just because your step father does it, does that mean its good? From what you've said you don't seem to like him much. Just because one person does something, that doesn't make it right for you to. Otherwise one person would end up being murdered, and then everyone else in reaction. I judge my actions based on my own beliefs, not that of my parents. If I did, I doubt I would be walking with you right now or trying to help. My parents have their own failings in each of their turns, and rather than just copying them I take from them an understanding and use that to help guide my own choices. But at the end, it is still my choice."

From Caspian's earlier wording Moritz was left puzzled still over his new explanation of his parenting. He was unsure if the man was lying, or why he would, but his earlier obfuscation followed by an offhand statement left Moritz feeling like he was still missing something. Though what that was Moritz was unsure. But just because he did not understand something did not mean it was done for no reason. Just like with Paul's action to help Caspian, there was a deeper situation at work that once understood made each persons actions clear. But until that was understood, all seemed confusing and without reason.

It was something Moritz would need to round back to at a later point, though not right away. And not by asking directly, as clearly for Moritz to see Caspian was trying to be evasive about the matter. He wished at times he had a firm way of telling when someone was lying, but was unsure such a thing existed. Which left him the same as always, trying to puzzle over which words someone spoke he could or could not believe.

As Caspian spoke to one of the merchants Moritz became further confused. Earlier he had mentioned a step father. Now a mother in law. He was unsure what these were, or what made them step or law ones. Were they not the same as a normal father or mother?

After he spoke some more Moritz realized the man had lied. The question was had he, Moritz, been lied to? Or had the merchant? He had said some story about lying and cheating to the merchant, but told him the tale of searching for a girl. Seeing his normally mercurial nature and desire to withhold information, along with his odd trust of Moritz, whether for the reason given or another, it seemed more likely that he had been told the truth. Or at least, a closer version of it than what the merchant had been given.

Once they arrived at the front of the store in question which seemed to be the likely source of the pendant, Caspian asked something else of Moritz. To stay inside while Caspian went in and did whatever he was to do. He was unsure what he was to watch for, at least other than armed people charging in or other people rushing out, but simply nodded to confirm his acceptance of the request. He took a moment to peer into Caspian's eyes, wondering if his earlier words and logic had impacted him at all, but knew there was no immediate way to confirm that. All he could do was wait, and so standing there Moritz did just that.

WC: 1,646
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Caspian on November 28th, 2020, 3:34 pm

“I’ve been spoiled,” he deigned to answer when Moritz asked his nose. “Up until now I’ve been looked after rather well, climate-wise. It’s this blasted weather.”

Moritz really was persistent. Whatever an Okomo was, Caspian hazarded to guess he’d rather not be on the opposing end of one. And given how he then responded to the glimpse of how Taaldros made his living, it seemed the most prudent thing to do was only hum in acknowledgement, and let the kid stew in his line of conjectures.

Not so long ago, relatively speaking, he had been on the other side of the table. When he wasn’t much older than Moritz, he’d ventured to ask Taalviel the same things when he was dragged along from ambush to hit to stakeout to good old-fashioned snatch-and-grab – but living two steps ahead of starving proved more than enough reason for why, and choice resounding slaps to the head cured him fairly early on of his impulse to voice his concerns. Questions meant unknowns and insecurities, weaknesses to scrutinize, and without trying he already gave away so many of them. It was better, far safer in his eyes, to watch and listen and at times cajole, and keep his opinions closer to the chest.

When he stopped to think about it – and that was dangerous, he really ought not to – it wasn’t that he couldn’t relate to the girl. Or Moritz’s description of the intentions of his mother. He knew very well what it was like to be pressed into a life he wanted none of. Then again, there was part of him that didn’t sympathize with her very much at all. Lee and her family were well-seated in the upper echelons of Zeltivan society, and if the hardest thing expected of the girl was to say I do in order to, presumably, secure financial and social boons that would benefit the family for years to come?

To try to measure one suffering to another was a dark and pointless road to go down, but he would have traded his upbringing, all the severed limbs, shattered skulls and the blood that never seemed to quite lift from the floorboards, with hers in a heartbeat.

“I never said my stepfather was a good man,” he said, pausing just before entering the shop. “I’ve spent a fair bit of time putting distance between us.” But it was never enough – and as of late, it seemed that distance was closing. “All I can say now is – sometimes, I think I understand what made him the way he is.”

The glass bells hanging from the doorknob clattered softly as he let himself in. Almost immediately he swooned – the heat that had steadily worn him down outside was only more oppressive here, intolerably amplified by two enormous ovens roaring in the back. The woman at the counter, perhaps just a few years younger than himself, was absentmindedly gnawing on a stick of rock candy and consulting a ledger, and seemed entirely unaffected.

He should have drank more water, but he’d never lived in any place where it was his proactive concern.

The cordial expression on her face flickered to one of concern as she took in his harried look and the handkerchief he’d clamped down, morphing further in response to the ostentatious color of his suit.

If only his mother could see him now.

“It’s okay to laugh,” he said. “I would myself, but my throat’s gone to shreds.”

Her mouth twitched into a smile. “Anything I can help you with?”

“Glass of water, if you can spare it? Other than that – I’m looking for an Adelaide?”

“Adelaide’s my mother, but she’s not in until later. I’m Lara. I could help you in the meantime?”

He fished out the pendant and showed her the carving on the back. Immediately, her eyes lit up, and he already knew the answer when he asked, “This look familiar?”

“Yes, that’s one of ours. Actually – “ A frown crossed her face. She turned it over and over, running her thumb along the edges, with the readily given ease of someone with a dear friend. “I should say, this is one of mine. How did you…?” She looked up at Caspian with confusion.

It was at this moment that a young man in a loose linen tunic, trousers, and a cap came in, with a tray bearing a pitcher of something amber and iced, and a glass.

Lara was still staring down at the pendant, and Caspian took the opportunity to scan the whole of the room. There were two other people in the back by the ovens, with long metal poles and bright red globes of glass. Lee had said her niece looked very much like herself, and left it at that – but the two people in the back were both strapping bearded men.

“Could I trouble you for another glass?” Caspian asked the young man, who had just pecked Lara affectionately on the cheek.

The young man turned to Caspian, and the subsequently jolt through his system made him forget, for a moment, the heat radiating harshly against his skin.

He was the very spitting image of Lee, down to the slightly upturned nose and dimple in his chin.

From beneath the cap spilled a stray lock of hair, long enough to meet his shoulder.

It wasn’t a boy at all.

Were it not for the heat beating down against his senses, perhaps he wouldn’t have given himself so readily away – but something flashed in his eyes, a look Kendra recognized, and she dropped the platter and bolted for the back.

“Wait! Kendra – I just want to talk – “ Caspian planted two hands on the counter and leaped over. Lara shrank back in confusion and horror. Dodging around shelves lined with glass, both unshaped and in various stages of staining, he followed Kendra past the workmen and the ovens and burst after her through the back door.

Kendra took a sharp left around the building into an alley. When Caspian emerged he found himself at the front of the store.

“Moritz!” he exclaimed, pointing at the fleeing Kendra, whose cap had fallen off. Her reddish auburn hair fanned well past her shoulders. She was heading for another alley across the street. “Her! Wait on this side of the alley. I’ll go round and head her off from the other side.”

WC: 1,066
    x
    Caspian
    Player

Words: 718261
    Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 11:26 pm
    Race: Human, Mixed
    Character sheet
    Storyteller secrets
    Medals: 4
    Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
    Overlored (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on November 28th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Moritz once more found himself confused, unsure how the weather could make ones nose bleed. He was an Okomo an Lhavitian, a mountain person through and through which was cooler by far than this place. But he had never once had his nose bleed because of it, nor seen anyone else it happened to. He was not even aware such was a thing, the heat making one bleed out the nose. The idea seemed odd to Moritz, and left him unsure if this was some odd illness he had never heard of or perhaps was due to some odd injury the man had sustained.

Caspian seemed to have his other problems, and from what he said was living in his fathers shadow. Or at least in some sense of the word was following his path. But from what he said it did not seem a good path to choose, and left Moritz wondering why the man had done so.

His own father was a distant figure, not someone he interacted with much and who seemed more beast than man on the scale of his dual kelvic nature. His mother was more disciplined but she had her own ideas of right or wrong and seemed most interested in her family and their wellbeing even if it was to the detriment of everyone else. Even, seemingly, if the only requirement to not do ill to others or the city was to not have her own family enhanced quite so much, Madeira in his experience still seemed to prefer the option that best served her and her family. Which still left Moritz with the question of why she had left home if their family was so great.

She had never hit him or such, but certainly used words to strike at him when he disagreed or did not follow her seemingly illogical logic which she never deigned to explain. She simply did what she did, seemingly without reason, and without any ability or desire to explain that reason.

He was still unclear what made a mother an in law, or a father a step, so when Caspian brought another up he was still confused on the subject.

"Yes but understanding and agreeing are two different things. You can do one without doing the other."

Saying his father was not good, but also saying he understood why he did the things he did, it seemed to imply to Moritz he also agreed with those actions. Those same actions which seemed to force Caspian into things he did not want to do.

A slave in all but name was no less a slave. Even if only a slave to coins, or the one offering them up. Even if he was to agree to do something if coins were given, if he did not like the job offered, did not think it right, then he would not do it. If a job was not performed the promised payment would not be given. But if he simply did as was asked for the coins without considering the deeper impact of things, then he was simply subjecting himself to others questionable ethics and believes for the sake of something shiny to spend. And that was clearly not a path Moritz wanted to go down.

Caspian had gone inside while Moritz waited, leaving him with nothing to do but too think. And so think he did, mulling over the days conversations and prior ones. Comparing, contrasting, collating and cataloging in his mind. Then another refresh of the map, picturing it in his mind and pulling out the paper one he had to compare it to his mental image. Changing and correcting a few things while holding the map in his mind, while replacing the paper map in his pack.

Moritz was just running through things again when he heard something crash inside, a loud noise erupting as something hit the ground which resulting in more falling and possibly some breaking of things. Clearly there had been some reaction to Caspian going in, it was too coincident that such would have so soon after Caspian entered. And sure enough he found he was right, when a few moments later someone came charging out of the building.

One person went one way and Caspian was soon in pursuit. Moritz had tensed at the original sound and had been readied for action, and so when Caspian barked out an order Moritz was quick to follow.

He had already considered such things, and had decided he would go along for now. As long as things stayed within the realm of legality. He was not going to drag anyone off, certainly not for a man he had only just met today.

But if he left he would not know how things ended. And more to the point he would be guilty of something he had just said. If he just enabled Caspian to do something, turned a blind eye and let things fall as they would, then he was no better than anyone else. So no, he would follow along and try to help Caspian talk to the girl, while also making sure things did not go farther. There was no rule about following someone with a desire to talk to them, nothing anyone could say he was doing in that regard that was illegal.

Caspian was headed in one direction to go after the running girl. Moritz in turn went the opposite way in order to box the girl in so to speak. Coming at her from both sides.

His legs pumped as he moved, running after the two in a slightly different direction. As he did he could hear a few things bouncing about in his pack, colliding and making noise and Kina and other things impacted each other. Nothing that would break he felt, but still causing some noise. He had seen the woman, long hair behind her, and assumed this was either the woman Caspian wanted to find or someone who knew something about her or where to find her. Moritz supposed he would just need to wait and find out which once their simple boxing tactic worked, assuming it did.

WC: 1,031
    Moritz Craven
    Player

Character sheet
    Storyteller secrets
    Plotnotes

Postby Caspian on November 29th, 2020, 3:52 pm

What the magical suit had not necessarily accounted for, perhaps, was that he would be running.

Or maybe it did, and as he often suspected, it had a petching sense of humor.

The good thing about his shoes was that they were light – for, presumably, sifting through wind and dune without sinking. The drawback here was that same lightness, for within a few feet of sprinting he was already wincing at the slamming of his heels against flagstones and dirt paths. He could feel every chip and pebble he crossed, and it was only a few degrees more comfortable than if he had been barefoot.

As he ran down the length of the immediate building, bloody handkerchief clutched in his hand like a pennant of the pathetic, he realized how long the block was. By the time he circled it, she’d be long gone. He took the first alley he came across, which was narrow and dingy and likely streaked murk across the sides of his suit, dodging around someone hunched and muttering who’d set up a makeshift residence and very narrowly missing stepping onto wickedly sharp piles of shattered pottery that would have cut immediately through his rather pretty but unhelpfully soft shoes.

A sharp bank left – and he burst into the other alley, breathing hard and wincing against the dryness in his nose, which running had only made worse.

Kendra startled at the sight of him, pivoted wildly, caught sight of Moritz and whirled back, right into Caspian’s arms. At her sudden shriek, he threw his hands up, and she backpedaled and knocked herself against the alley wall, cornering herself between piles of abandoned crates.

“Kendra – “ Caspian began, hands still raised. It was embarrassing to be gasping for air when one was readying to make demands, but after a certain point he couldn’t give a petch about propriety. “You’re Kendra, right?”

“I’m not going!” she exclaimed, wrapping her arms around herself tightly and looking fiercely between him and Moritz.

“Going where?” Caspian asked placidly. He cast a glance at the street past the alley where he’d entered, then down where Moritz had waited. This would have to be quick.

“You know where! Aunt Lee sent you, d-didn’t she – I knew she would – “

Hence the low-budget disguise and her readiness to take flight, he supposed.

He grimaced as Kendra began to cry. He’d offer her his handkerchief, but it certainly wasn’t in any state for sharing, and he still rather needed it.

“She did,” he said, clamping over his nose again, “and she cares very much about you – “

“She only cares about the f-family f-fortune!” Kendra retorted, rubbing at her red-rimmed eyes.

“Be that as it may – “

“I’m not going, okay? Do you know what’s waiting for me? The bumbling dunce they want to cart me off to?” Kendra cut through her hiccups with a sudden fierceness that he hadn’t expected. “Life with him – when I think about that future, it’s just pointless and dark. Parlor games and never leaving the yard. I’ll only be as good to them as the children they expect me to spit out.” She shuddered. “I want to see the world. With Lara. Petching gods above, I don’t even like men, not that that matters to my family.”

Caspian sighed. The nosebleed, at least, seemed to have stopped for now, though it had been replaced by the headache that came on when he was coming to terms with the fact that he was losing his resolve.

What had been errant speculation with Moritz was now presented to him in the flesh. He had made a fair set of assumptions about Kendra before seeing her, and they weren’t exactly dispelled, but he hadn’t counted on that last detail.

It would have been so much simpler had he just staked out Adelaide’s store and never spoken to Kendra directly at all.

“Look,” he said, feeling something in him crumbling other than his respiratory system, “I’m not going to twist your arm about it, literally or metaphorically or otherwise.” He’d been careful about keeping the distance between them, and while she still looked like she’d like nothing better than to bolt, gut him, or both, she was at least coherently participating in the exchange. “But –” He paused, then glanced down both sides of the alley again, which were thankfully still clear of any witnesses. “I do have to tell your aunt that you’re here. Now – exactly when I share that bit of information, she didn’t actually specify.”

Kendra blinked at him. “…oh.”

“And,” Caspian continued, “depending on how helpful my directions are, I imagine it’ll take them at least a few bells for them to sort through this mess and find the shop. So.”

Kendra uncrossed her arms, crossed them again, and regarded Caspian with blessedly less vitriol. “Okay. But… why?”

A perfectly reasonable question. But he didn’t have the fortitude to explain to a stranger in an easily digestible fashion that though they came from very different places, there were something about her that resounded. So he glanced at Moritz, then back at Kendra, and replied with a shrug, “Call it my good deed for the year.” He stepped to the side and nodded his head down the alley. “Go on. Before I change my mind.”

A scoff and a toss of her auburn hair – she didn’t believe his gustless threat for a second – and she took off down the alley, hesitating as she approached Moritz, then edging hurriedly past.

“Well.” Caspian turned to Moritz. “I suppose that’s that. Thank you, by the way. I didn’t fancy chasing her across half the bazaar in these shreds.” He frowned as he inspected his thin soles, the streaks of soot and sand on his blazer’s arms. “Let’s up and out. I’m getting claustrophobic. Now – what was that about your mother being a spiritist? Is it… I dunno, lucrative? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a ghost before. I mean, I hope I haven’t.” He led him down the alley and sighed heavily as they emerged onto the street.

WC: 1,010
      x
      Caspian
      Player

Character sheet
      Storyteller secrets
      Overlored (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on November 29th, 2020, 4:38 pm

Moritz ran along, comfortable for now but knowing if he had to keep at it he would soon be winded. In his larger Okomo form he could eat up distance quite quickly. In his human form however things tended to take much more time and require more patience. A human body just was not made to move at speed like an Okomo climbing a mountain, more suited for the use of tools and implements and other animals to do the work for them.

Past one, then another, and he saw an opening and down an alley to Caspian running on the other end. When he saw the man stop and the woman between the Moritz stopped as well, moving a bit closer but focusing more on blocking the end of the alley. Or at least presenting a blockage to the alley, as he was unsure what he would do should the woman actually physically confront him.

He heard a shriek and saw the woman stumble into Caspian, but it did not seem the man had grabbed the woman. More so he was presenting himself, making himself known but not in a threatening manner. In fact as the two interacted it seemed all the more clear the woman was freaked out and not acting rationally, while Caspian was trying to de-escalate things and talk to the woman. But then he did make it clear he was not the physical type, which Moritz believe based on his build, apparent constitution, and actions.

When the woman finally did speak, voicing her objections they did not seem too far from some of Moritz predictions and possibilities. Of course that had more been an enumeration of likely scenarios in order to better prepare himself as to how he should act should any of them come true. But still it had been useful, even if the large number of scenarios had by their nature been likely to some element of the truth but overall false due to their conflicting nature. He had not in truth predicted the future, just made a logical list of the likeliest outcomes from the information he had. Still though, he was satisfied to find he had not been totally off the mark with at least one of his suppositions.

He knew there were all manner of ways one could lose ones life, even while being alive. Having ones choices made for you, acting only to make another happy. Following along and letting someone else make all your choices. That was little better, and it seemed to be what this woman wanted to avoid. He wasn't sure what the woman meant by not liking men, perhaps she just actively disliked all men on the face of it? But regardless most of what he understood was straightforward. She was being forced into a marriage for the good of her family rather than herself, in a way that would limit her life and choices, effectively indenturing herself to the household in exchange for a gain to her family.

Moritz own point earlier, the option of telling both parties to make things fair, seemed to be the option Caspian was going with. Along with that he seemed to be indicating he would choose the time and method of his telling, which had not been specified in the deal, to more fairly deal with the woman. Of course he was left to wonder if his own words and actions had impacted that choice, or if he would have made that choice regardless. Moritz was unsure, but he liked to think that if nothing else his options he had presented him primed him to think beyond the simple black and white of tell or not, paid or not, and to other things he could do.

Moritz smiled back at Caspian as the man glanced at him, clearly struggling for words to answer with. When in the end he simply said it was his annual good dead, Moritz smiled again. He was fairly certain there was more to things, but also admired that at no point had the man lied. He had simply evaded the answer and made it clear he did not want to or have time to go into detail, and gave her an easy alternative without actually saying that was the truth of things. An odd way of going about it, but somehow to Moritz... Honorable.

As the woman left Moritz made his way closer to Caspian, smiling still at the man as the woman rounded the corner and disappeared.

"Glad I could help. And glad things were able to be ended amicably for all parties involved. You will keep your deal and get paid. She is given the information of what is going on, and has time to do something, to leave or whatever she wants. You know I think you like to come off as a villain, but things are always more complicated than that. When someone offers you two choices, take the left or the right turn, there are always other choices to an open and imaginative mind. Stopping, going back, whatever. Things can be complicated, but there are always options where you do the most good for the most people, and avoid as much suffering as you can. I wouldn't say there is a good and bad outcome, but there are certainly ones that are more or less good and more or less just, more or less fair to each person involved."

At the question of his mothers job Moritz focused on the mental map of the bazaar and Outpost in his mind, focusing on where their destination had been and where they had gone to end up here then. Then taking a moment to turn about and orient himself he started walking back in the direction that would take them out of the bazaar.

"I believe this way is back out to the exit, and will take us out of the bazaar. As for my mother and her job as a spiritist... I'm not sure if I would say lucrative or not. I mean we live in a nice house, have food and things, but there are also other factors. Lhavit is a nice place, and I don't feel like there are masses of starving people in the street. Also our house is alive, so I'm not sure if its size is due to that or my mother paying a lot for the structure itself. Its been around since before i was born, so I can't say for sure. We have a fair number of ghosts about, but my mother probably attracts those seeing as she's a powerful spiritist. I think she mainly works as a teacher, for Spiritism, rather than as a Spiritist in and of herself. So not sure if whatever pay she does get as that would compare to that of being a spiritist."

Pausing for a moment Moritz turned to look at Caspian, grinning again.

"Why, are you thinking of changing trades? I'll warn you, it takes a lot of work, and at times its not very pleasant. I've been initiated into it by my mother, and learned the basics of the craft. And it involved a lot of bleeding and using your blood to make soulmist and having your body taken over by ghosts. And the making of soulmist isn't all that pleasant either, you have to chew up food and mix in blood with it, that's how its made. But I mean, if your really interested, I suppose I could give you a reference to my mother."

WC: 1,263
      Moritz Craven
      Player

Character sheet
      Storyteller secrets
      Plotnotes

Postby Caspian on November 30th, 2020, 11:22 pm

You know I think you like to come off as a villain, but things are always more complicated than that –

If only Moritz knew the full scope of it. The questions who are you, where are you from, and most terrifyingly, what do you want – in Sunberth the answers were clear and ready, so easy was it to juxtapose himself against the environment he was being kept in against his will. But then he had done the golden, far-flung and miraculous thing – he had gotten what he wanted, finally saved enough money to run off to Ravok and put a whole continent of distance between him and the so-called family of cutthroats and mercenaries that had imposed itself upon him.

What did one do, then, when one got precisely what was asked for?

And more fearsomely, what did one do when realizing, like the crush and flush of an avalanche, that maybe it wasn’t enough, would never be enough –

“Little utilitarian, are you?” Caspian replied with an offhandedness he didn’t really feel. “Funny, from a different tack I’d say my sister’s the same way.”

It would be interesting to see how Moritz developed, if he’d still hold the same perspectives about the world even a season from now, or a year. A life of need and fear had made Caspian who he was – and while it had taken a certain kind of energy to watch Moritz bat back, he didn’t wish Moritz to change, or for any misfortune slung his way that would veer him from the vector he seemed to resolutely be following.

The world was riddled with Caspian’s, and though he wouldn’t admit it out loud, maybe it could stand a few more Moritz’s.

The thought of ghosts made him suppress a reflexive shudder. There was something about Sunberth that boiled out any possibility for otherworldliness, and while it was entirely plausible that in a place where death was so matter-of-fact, ghosts went hand in hand, one didn’t look much past the holes in one’s pocket and the gristle in the gruel.

“Well, far as blood goes, looks like I’ve got that covered,” Caspian replied, hoping he could make Moritz laugh at least once before the day was out. There was a fountain on the side of the lane covered in alternating blue and white ceramic tiles. He raised and lowered the lever and sighed contentedly as cool water flowed across his palms. The blood from his nose – he’d thankfully gotten most of it, from what he could see of his reflection in a nearby shop window, and with a few passes of the water from the fountain across his face and brow, he was almost as good as new. “I appreciate it,” he said amiably to Moritz’s offer, and while he couldn’t picture himself doing anything other than what he was doing now, having never met anyone of the trade, he was genuinely curious. It paid off eventually, knowing a little bit about everything. “I suppose if I was ever in Lhavit – well, who knows?”

He considered Moritz for a moment, the dovecote in the distance. “Say, if you ever find yourself in Zeltiva…” It might be more confusing than anything, if he gave Moritz Shiress’ parents address. Who knows how much longer he’d last there anyway. “Look for the Kelp Bar, and ask for Rosie. She’s a good friend” – what a relief that he didn’t succumb to the impulse to hesitate over the designation – “and she’ll send for me. Then again – ah, I’ve really no idea, the distance between Zeltiva and Lhavit! I’m sure one of the University buildings will have a grand old map. Anyway… look after yourself, Moritz. And thank you again for your company.”

It had been sorely needed.

Hands in his pockets, the soft rush of sand in his hair on the wind, Caspian headed for the dovecote. He wasn’t entirely sure how it worked, but there were people both entering and exiting and it seemed the best thing to do was follow suit.

Later at the cottage, Caspian scrubbed the remainder of the gold pigment and kohl from his eyes, and regarded the magical suit. Now off his body and thrown over his shoulder, it had reverted back to its near shapeless gray mass. Mutely, numbly, he folded it and tucked it back into the dresser he and Taalviel shared.

Today had been a good day. He couldn’t count on tomorrow, and precisely who he’d be - but it would be what it was, and he would take it as it came.

WC: 762
        x
        Caspian
        Player

Character sheet
        Storyteller secrets
        Overlored (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on December 7th, 2020, 3:04 pm

Moritz narrowed his eyes, trying to work out what the man meant. Utilitarian... He assumed it was on response to something he had said, but he was not familiar with the term and so could not tell from what he had said what exactly it meant. Perhaps something related to his words on doing more good for more people?

"Not sure what that means, but possibly. I suppose I'm many things, but then most people are. I don't think I've met a person who was just one thing."

At the mans comment on blood Moritz simply stared back, not realizing it was meant as a joke.

"Yeah, but if you have to spill blood for a craft, best to keep it in the rest of the time. I mean is it that predictable and does it happen that often, that it would be usable in such a way?"

The thought of Caspian coming to Lhavit was odd, more so because it reminded Moritz he was not there right then. He had spent his entire life in the city, and so any time spent away was... Odd...

"I'm not really sure where in relation to Zeltiva the city of Lhavit is, or the other way around. So not sure how likely we are to visit. Not even sure where Zeltiva is in general, not close to me I would think."

Moritz nodded at the mans thanks, not feeling a need to say anything and not considering the need to reciprocate.

Once they were back to the initial plaza Caspian quickly headed for the dovecote, exiting the Outpost as he did. Moritz spent a moment talking to the "keeper of the Dovecote" as he thought of the man, and then headed through himself. It had been a long and busy day, and he was ready to go home at this point. The sooner the better in his opinion. He had been through quite enough interaction and talking and doing things, and was ready to be alone for awhile.

WC: 336
        Moritz Craven
        Player

Character sheet
        Storyteller secrets
        Plotnotes

Previous