Solo Obstacles in the Way

Madeira ruminates on what she wants

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Obstacles in the Way

Postby Madeira Dusk on January 6th, 2021, 7:15 pm

10th of Winter
Madeira’s head lolled drunkenly off the edge of Belladonna’s bed, in her room above the showroom of the Red Lantern. The Madame sat back against the headboard, with Madeira’s legs across her lap, tracing the colourful tattoo’s across her thighs. She tapped the spiritist on the knee and offered the smouldering stub of a cigar. Without raising her head Madeira stretched out her hand to accept it.

This wasn’t enough, not anymore.

The thought had been stewing dull and poisonous for days now. She could feel herself stagnating, dissolving into this bed in this city in this life. She sighed through the smoke and let her arms fall above her head. Her knuckles cracked on the floor and the bolt of pain sang sweetly in her bones.

“I’ve been accused of many, many delicious things”, Belladonna’s tone was sweet, but the icy drip of her words let Madeira know the sigh offended her. “But I’ve never been accused of boring someone. What’s wrong, my-dear-ah?”

“I’m just tired”, Madeira murrmrred around the cigar, her eyes falling closed as Belladonna’s painted nails played across her protruding ribs like a piano. “And perhaps a little lost.”

“If you lost this, I know where it is”, Belladonna’s voice dropped in a way Madeira had learned to fear, and that was her only warning before the Madame grabbed something that should never be grabbed with that much force.

Ashes shot halfway across the room as Madeira sucked in a startled breath and immediately began to sputter and cough. The half-lit cigar tumbled out of her mouth and left a tiny burn scar on the hardwood floor.

She wheezed something that might have been a swear or perhaps a yelp. Red-faced and wet-eyed, calling upon every muscle in her body, she shot up and smack the woman’s hand away.

“There you are”, Belladonna trilled, the picture of poise as she removed her hand and wiped it on the bedsheet. “You were gone for a tick there.”

“Oh really?” Madeira worked to detangle herself from the Madame, panting in small breaths to keep from triggering another coughing fit. “And why, pray tell, was that so necessary?”

“I told you: you were gone.” The woman leveled her client with her sharp, almost feline eyes. Madame Belladonna’s long career as a whore and Aldgare Dusk’s long career as an aurist intersected in this one bizarre way: both could read other people like a book.

“Dira save me”, Madeira groaned theatrically, finally managing to tuck her legs safely beneath her. “My life is just… moving slower than I’d like. Nothing is happening.”

“You mean you’re not making anything happen."

Belladonna’s smile was an incredible thing, somehow both innocent and wicked. Madeira watched the slow drag of her lips in awe. How was even the flash of her teeth sexy? Her voice was the low purr she used to both inflate and puncture the ego of every man to cross her path. She was a terrifying creature.

“You’re the most driven girl I’ve ever seen, my dear”, Belladonna went on, leaning over the bed to retrieve the still smoldering cigar. She dropped it carelessly into one of the two drained crystal wine glasses on the nightstand. “If you wanted it bad enough, you would already have it.”

Madeira laughed, dropping back to her haunches. “What if I don’t know what I want?”

“I think you do.”

Aurists and whores. She shook her head ruefully, impressed rather than annoyed that the woman could see through her.

“Okay, fine. My problem is that I want too many things.”

She wanted Chiona’s hand, and Rotsam’s head. She wanted to be seen and she wanted to be hidden. She wanted to win Sagallius’ favour. She wanted to win Dira’s favour. She wanted to never see another god again. She wanted forward momentum and change. Her soul had been born hungry. But being pulled in so many directions was making her loose the path she was on.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Obstacles in the Way

Postby Madeira Dusk on January 8th, 2021, 2:06 am

“I think there might be a cute little cliché for that”, Belladonna purred, reclining back against the headboard again and reaching out with a long, slender leg to glide her foot up Madeira’s thigh. “What’s the phrase… pick your battles?”

Madeira raised a brow. “Then I pick all of them.”

“You know what I mean”. She walked the delicate, arched foot further up Madeira’s side. “If you can’t decide what you want the most, then start with what’s most convenient. To be crude,” she affected a ludicrously posh version of Madeira’s Alvadas accent, “If you can’t find a good petch, your hand will do.”

A gusty laugh bubbled out of the spiritist. As the woman’s foot began to tickle her chin she caught it by the ankle and pressed it back down to the bed.

“You mean you want me to take the easy road.”

“I mean you should go after what’s closest”, Belladonna clarified, extending the other leg. “Take it one step at a time. Pick one.”

“As yes, just one”, Madeira sighed dismissively, catching the other wandering foot in her opposite hand and pinning it down between her knees. “Because it’s just as simple as picking a confectionary from the bakery.” But even as she said it, Belladonna’s words were running through her head. She had a point, oversimplified as it may be. Perhaps what Madeira needed was more focus in her life. So, what was the most immediate challenge most easily overcome?

The challenges between her and pleasing her gods were too nebulous and abundant to consider. She wouldn’t know where to start. Rotsam was easier to deal with, but their game was multi layered and she wasn’t even sure of the rules yet. Chiona, though…

She had obliterated the obstacles between her and Chiona one by one over years. They were girlfriends now. Lovers. And she had worked very hard to make it so. There was only one challenge left, but it was so daunting it could only make her baulk. She had to win her hand in marriage.

It was the possibility of failure, of poisoning years of work, that made her heart flutter with nerves. But once they were married, once she could add Dusk to the end of her name, all of Kalea would open up to her. Once it was done there would be not a single door in Lhavit closed to her, not even Rotsam’s. The thought glowed warm and bright in her chest.

“Then I’ll make my girlfriend mine”, she announced, decided and sure. “That is what I want, to marry her.” The decisiveness of it felt sharp and focused, cutting away all her other ambitions and distractions. She felt lighter.

“I love it when you talk like that”, Belladonna’s tongue swept over her lip in a way that seemed tailored to draw the eye.

“About marrying other people?”, Madeira smiled, playing dumb. She pulled on the Madame’s ankles, dragging her slowly across the silk sheets towards her. Belladonna let herself be dragged, her hair rippling behind her like the tail of a comet.

“It’s the way you say it. Your voice could command the world to flip over and it would”, the woman purred, expertly stroking her ego. “If you want the girl to be yours, she will be. Nothing burns so bright as you.”

The flattery was egregious, unabashed, and wildly transparent, but somehow Madeira couldn’t bring herself to tell her to stop. She leaned over the woman beneath her, her ruined hands travelling from legs to hips to waist.

“And what else could it do?”
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Obstacles in the Way

Postby Madeira Dusk on January 8th, 2021, 2:07 am

A bell later, having freshened up in a basin of water brought up by one of the girls, Belladonna stood behind Madeira at the vanity, still naked and sparkling with water, as she tied the spiritist back into her corset.

“So this girl… Al something? Allissa? I didn’t catch her name. I was a bit… distracted.”

Madeira stared steadily into her reflection in the vanity mirror, suddenly taking great pains to tie her hair just so. “It’s Chiona.”

Belladonna paused in her brutal lacing to study the back of Madeira’s burning neck. “That’s not what I heard.”

“No”, Madeira confirmed, in a tone that did not invite further questions, “It wasn’t.”

Belladonna smiled knowingly but didn’t press further. The Red Lantern was known for its confidentiality.

“So Chiona, hmm? Not Chiona Dusk, surely”, Belladonna clucked, in a tone that implied the opposite.

Madeira craned her neck to look at the Madame over her boney shoulder. “And how did you come to that assumption?” She had originally come to the Madame over a year ago to learn seduction, with a story that the girl she was desperately in love with wouldn’t even look at her. The Madame had never asked for the mystery girl’s name, and Madeira had never offered it.

“Oh please, a child could make the connection. I know you work for the Dusk Tower and I know you to be a very, hmm, ambitious girl. You’re not as much of a mystery as you seem to think you are.”

“Do you know Aldgare Dusk? I suspect you two would get along famously.”

“I never kiss and tell.” The woman flashed her hazel eyes in the mirror before hooking the last eyelet in Madeira’s constructed waist. “So, what’s your plan?”

“For proposing to her? I’m not sure. She’s can be a bit… closed off. She’s had a terrible heartbreak.” One that Madeira had conducted herself, in order to dispose of a rival. But that detail was unimportant. “I really don’t know what she would say if I were to get down on one knee.”

“Well, I won’t be able to help you this time. I don’t do marriage.” Belladonna found Madeira’s dress where it had been thrown on the floor and helped her step into it. “But I’m sure you can make a persuasive argument. You’re in possession of a uniquely talented tongue.”

“You just had to say it like that, didn’t you.”

“I can’t help it. You’re cute when you’re embarrassed.”

But the Madame had a point. If nothing else, Madeira was confident with her words. If she was going to get Chiona to agree to marry her she couldn’t use what Belladonna had taught her. She had already won the girl. But love and marriage were not the same thing.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Obstacles in the Way

Postby Madeira Dusk on January 8th, 2021, 2:08 am

“I won’t just propose. I need to ask her about it, first. And then I need to ask her father for his blessing.”

“Yes?”, Belladonna hummed as she threaded the buttons of Madeira’s bodice. “And what will you say?”

“That I am a good match”, Madeira said carefully, talking more to herself than anyone else as lines of thought knotted between her brow. “I’ll remind her of our responsibilities as heirs, and him of our duty as daughters.”

She was not the heir of the Craven house, but the position was fluid. Unlike with Lhavit and its Towers being the heir of the Craven’s was not a title you were born into, but one you earned. But if she had to get Madara, her aunt and the current matriarch, to lie about Madeira’s chances in order to secure this marriage, she would. Matching Craven and Dusk would only benefit both families, and Madara reaped nothing from the truth. Though if Madeira did successfully marry into Dusk, her position might be favourably reconsidered.

“I would make a good daughter-in-law”, Madeira smiled privately to herself as Belladonna approached her with her gloves. It took both of them to maneuver her half-dead left hand into the fingers of the delicate lace. “And a better wife. When it’s her time there would be no one better than me to preside over the Tower beside Chiona.”

Slipping the rings on her fingers and the diamonds around her throat, Belladonna cupped her hands around the back of Madeira’s neck and bit at her lips.

“See? You know what you want, and how you’ll get it. You’re unstoppable.”

“Thank you for reminding me of it”, Madeira murmured against her lips, and snapped her teeth playfully as the woman pulled away. Her expression sobered quickly, though, and she pulled Belladonna back in by the waist. “I mean that”, she stated sincerely, blue eyes burning into hazel. “Thank you. I wouldn’t have gotten this far without you.”

“Oh my dear”, Belladonna smiled her cheshire smile, her voice rumbly and pleased. “It has been my absolute pleasure. You will still come back once you’re married, won’t you? I still have so much more to teach you.”

It wasn’t an if or a when. When Belladonna said it, it seemed inevitable. Madeira took this one last flattery with a smile.

“Of course. I still have so much to learn."
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes