Solo [ED]A Design Decided

A design worked on...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

[ED]A Design Decided

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on February 28th, 2021, 10:44 pm

6 Winter 520

After the work was done and Crylon had finished inspecting his new gift, he had not had time to use it that night. So once he was cleaned and in bed he rose early the next day, quickly making his way to the floor and the table.

A grin still on his face Crylon inspected it once more, seeing the ink and quills and paper and things all over it. As he was doing this Crylon heard a knock on the door-sill left open, and saw Toni once more.

"Hey Crylon, how are you doing. Enjoying your new prize? I hear Sona found it from some guy, a bit odd, in the market through the Dovecote. I can tell just from looking at it some good work was done."

Crylon nodded, a smile still on his face, pausing before speaking in common to work out the route of words he would take.

“Yes. Is... Very good. Can't wait to use it. Not sure what will design.”

Clearly having waited for Crylon to say just that, Toni smiled as he met the Isur's eyes. "Funny you should say that. You know we have the dock, right? I heard Kelski saying something... And I thought she might like something else. A boat house. Kind of like a dock, but a building that closes, and small boats can fit inside. Or perhaps a split one, with a spot for two boats. All the trouble of a dock and a house in the design, and on the water. Maybe even some kind of house or apartment above that. Which means staircases and the like. What do you think? Think you could work out the designs? Or too tough for you?"

Crylon met the mans gaze, a wry smile now on his face as he thought through it. He had lived and worked in Ravok before, so knew more about houses on water than some... Though in this case the shore was right there, so a floating house was not quite right... It would mean working with the tide in mind, and as he had said a quite complex design for all the parts...

“Yes. Think could do. You have... Spot in mind? Need see land, spot, before design. And what know of support? Also of.. Import.”

Toni nodded, waving Crylon to follow, leading him back down the stairs and outside the building.

Once they were outside Crylon was quickly led along to the shore, past the docks and to another open spot.

"I was thinking here. The shore is good I think, and its far enough from the docks that you can spread it out. Though depending on how wide you go, two or three wide even, might end up being touching. Not that that's bad, additional support and all that. What do you think."

Crylon pondered silently, inspecting the ground. He was not one to quickly jump to conclusions, and instead worked things out bit by bit.

“Need look first. But... Maybe.”

With that Crylon moved about in the sand, feeling out the distances. First he paced off from the dock, seeing how much room they had to work with and getting a rough estimate. Distances were important, but exact measures just then were not. Though at some point, he knew, he would need to come out and make a good sounding out and measuring. Though that would be before building, it wouldn't necessarily have to be before the design began. Crylon thought on such things as he held his chin in his hand, eying the beach and the water and the sand as he did.

WC: 603
Last edited by Crylon Stonecraft on May 17th, 2021, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Words: 679695
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2018, 4:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

[ED]A Design Decided

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on May 17th, 2021, 1:08 am

Pacing back and forth across the sand, Crylon began to mentally picture the structure. It was not perfect, but the more he moved about the land the more he began to see its bones so to speak and understood better where what would go. What was suited for what, how, and where.

If it was a boathouse, it would need areas for boats to go inside, with it being wide enough for a boat to enter and to be out into the water. It would need a certain amount of support. It would also need to be properly wide and long, with room for the boats to fit within. It would need room as well for the boats to enter and sit higher or lower, as the tide would rise and fall... With wide enough doors such that the boat could enter at various heights.

Most of the support then would be at the front corners, in the spots between each door or entrance, meaning several main piles or posts holding and supporting it dug into the watery ground.

The back wall, the side closest to the land... This would need to connect the various boat rooms... Perhaps a hallway along the back side? Yes, situated on the ground there... And along that hall would also be a staircase, which led up to another short hall where one entered the room above.

Down in the boat rooms, along there... Out over the water... One would want a walkway around the boat, letting people step off and also serving as a place to tie off and to store gear and things for the boats.

As he added in bits the land merged with his ideas, a mental image forming bit by bit into a completed structure. Like when working with metal Crylon often pictured the source material beforehand, seeing the final product within. Seeing the steps and changes needed to take it to that final step. Likewise the Isur often did such with buildings and plotting out land, and found it helped him get a good idea of what was to be done and what the spacing would be.

Pacing out again he focused on the upstairs, moving along the length of the building. If it was wide enough for multiple boats... Then it would likely be wide enough for more than just a single small room above. It could be several things, he realized as his mind ran through variations.

One big open and long room, with various parts. Or Several smaller rooms. An open area one first entered, with doors along the side entering into smaller rooms. A bedroom of course, and perhaps a small office or sitting room on the other side.... And a view, the main room or central room would have windows, looking out upon the water of the seas...

Having worked a good general idea out in his mind Crylon realized he needed to get it down on paper while it was still fresh. But he also needed to get more details, since many things would affect the overall size and room on the second floor. Two boats? Three? Four? How many? That would affect the capacity.

WC: 532
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

[ED]A Design Decided

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on May 17th, 2021, 1:29 am

Having come to a good point Crylon set aside his pacing before turning back to the building. Heading back inside Crylon worked on keeping the image fresh in his mind while returning to his new desk. Once there he immediately got out a quill and whetted it in some ink, beginning his work to scratch away at the parchment to mark out his mental image.

Beginning simply so as to fit them all onto one page to begin, Crylon took a side view as seem along the beach and the sea floor. A pile or post here... Here... And here... Straddling the land on one, one back a good bit onto the land, and out into the water with the other. The third one would also mark the front of the building, while the first one farthest onto land would mark the front of the building.

This would be mirrored again on the other side, marked by an annotation.

From the front a pile would be formed between each set of doors. Three at least if only two doors, one on each corner and then one between each door. If three doors then four piles... If four doors then five piles. He marked out this variance down the side of the page, indicating it would affect the number of boat rooms.

On from that he made a simple diagram for a single boat room. An open watery bit in the middle, with a decking area of floor around it. He marked a spot for a tie off, giving two options with one on either side in the initial design. Of course this could be narrowed down later, but he left it open for now on his initial work.

There would also be some shelving and things to store items around the room... And a door at the back leading into a hallway.

From that hallway he drew another small room, this one a narrow but long room. It would have doors leading into the boat rooms along the wall closer to the water... And then a door leading outside onto land on the other. And off to this side would be a stairwell leading upward, where there would be a small landing... And from that landing another door, leading into the rooms above the boat rooms.

Moving off to another spot Crylon made a few different designs, each small and simple to be filled out later, with the perspective taken from above. A single large room, open with all of the parts in one. Then another design where there were walls, a large central room with a small room on one side and another off on the other...Another where the one side had a medium pair of rooms, some bedrooms, sticking off the side of the main room... And then with that a small room on the other side. An office or storage room.

On all of them using the above view Crylon marked one thing clearly, a large window in the side of the center or main room which looked out onto the water.

Realizing he had been drawing for some time in his rough sketching of buildings Crylon took a moment or two to breath and look about. It was then he noticed Toni still standing by, having followed after him and waited silently while he worked.

Crylon met the mans gaze, smiling as he did, taking a moment to blink.

“Sorry. Got... Caught up.”

Toni simply smiled and waved him away, clearly understanding. "Hey, it happens. I've done it before when I've had a new idea or been avid to begin a new project. So what have you got, at a good point to show me? I think I'll be doing a good bit of the building, so probably a good idea to have me involved in the planning. I've got a good idea I think of what should be feasible."

WC: 654
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

[ED]A Design Decided

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on May 31st, 2021, 4:19 pm

Toni examined Crylon's work, canting his head as he moved quickly from one thing to another.

"Lot of different ideas here... Based on the depth, which we'll need to work out, I think smaller boats are all that will fit on a shore side house. Anything else and we'd need to be basically completely in the water, which I don't think is the goal here. I see the piles. I think a good width would be... Lets see... I think three boats berthing should be able to fit completely enclosed in... Say... Sixteen hundred square feet. A bit over five hundred for each, plus walls and things. If its to stand up to the water, and as we'll need piles and such to go up from the water... Stone on the ground floor. Or more to the point masonry. What could you work with for those dimensions."

Crylon pondered this over, at least now having some rough dimensions to work with.

“We probably need to talk to Kelski and work out what she's wanting, as that will affect what we do. Or at least what we fill the rooms with. But that could easily fit four rooms of four hundred square foot each. On the second floor. Not a small space. I can make some basic designs based on that, but as I said we'll need more specifics as to what will be the final idea.”

Turning back to the paper Crylon began writing out more, roughly sketching with dimensions listed now in annotation to the side.

Bit by bit he drew out his intent, beginning with a few straight lines here and there. This was assisted by a square and ruler, common design tools used in such making. Otherwise one had to draw free hand, and freehand did not allow pure straight lines. For that, as with crafting with steel and hammer on a forge, the right tools were needed. Such as implement for straight lines.

He began with a rough but square box, taking up part of the bottom half of the parchment. Detail work would be tricky, but for now it was all just vague outlines and so the smaller scale did not cause him too many problems.

Once he had that drawn he measured out the length, and then made some small ticks a third of the way from each end. From these points he drew out a connecting wall, once, then twice, off of the ticks. This now bisected the square into three rooms or berths.

With that done he measured out the back wall, and ticked again before adding another wall. The back inner wall which would form a connecting hallway for the various berths and leading outside onto land.

Crylon spent a few chimes looking this over and inspecting his work before moving on to other parts.

WC: 474
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

[ED]A Design Decided

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on May 31st, 2021, 8:28 pm

The basic work for the bottom floor done, Crylon moved on to the upper floor.

Now that he knew the basic dimensions he could be more specific on it. Making a mark on the bottom hall to indicate the stairs, he moved upward and made another large square. Having the measure from the prior one he was able to count out the distance of the first floor in terms of length and width, so that the drawn example for the second floor was the same size for comparison. Then as with the first floor he marked off the dimensions. One wall forty foot long, the other back forty foot, being forty times forty... Which was sixteen hundred square feet.

On the first floor it had been divided into thirds. Now he measured off the hall at the same distance as the first, and then measuring the rest of the top floor cut it in half both was. One length, once width. This would be four hundred square foot roughly in each quarter of the marked off second floor. He was unsure what was needed, or if a large room would be required, but this seemed sufficient to begin with.

“Any idea what Kelski would want on the second floor? This would be a decent basic outline, but depending on what is desired... Could do... Different things. Make one smaller. Or bigger. Or whatever.”

Toni shook his head, inspecting the drawings again. "No, but like you said its a good starting point. I'll talk to Kelski, see what she's thinking, and get back to you. We can finish this off once thats worked out. Can I have these to show her?"

Crylon nodded, tearing off the piece of parchment and handing it to the man.

Looking at the table Crylon inspected it with one hand, pushing lightly with his fingertips. Then he turned his head and considered the stairs of the tower, and was left pondering a thing.

“How did... You get it up here?”

Staring at the paper it took Toni a moment to respond, before realizing what Crylon meant. Being a woodworker himself the man paused and inspected the table.

"Uh, I'm not sure. Maybe she had help. Actually no now that I think about it.... She said it was collapsible. Although..." Pausing to inspect the structure Toni looked on the sides and below, even tapping with his empty first in a few spots. However he did not see any levers, hinges, or anything else that would explain how it was supposed to collapse.

"Yeah I've got no idea, this thing seems pretty sturdy to me. But if you work it out, let me know. Maybe its some really complex folding or sliding piece of wood, without any metal involved? But even then seems it'd have slots or... .You know, breaks in the wood. Lines where it could slide. So I'm lost on how its supposed to move. Seems like its one solid piece of wood."

Moving aside the tools left on the table Crylon inspected the now bare table and put his hands on both sides. First he flexed and tried to get it to fold one way. Then moving his hands he tried in another, though without ever using his full force as he did not want to break it.

After trying this in various ways he finally muttered under his breath in his own tongue- Isurian- "Fold!" as he tried to get it to move. All of a sudden the table seemed diminished, and began to fold in upon itself. After a moment it stopped folding, and Crylon was left with a much smaller folded up... Case, of sorts. How it had done it was lost on both Crylon and Toni, and the two stood there dumbfounded before Toni finally spoke.

"Well that explains it, it can't be explained properly. Which has one explanation. Magic. Where the heck did Sona buy this thing? I need to go check there, maybe I can find myself some odd magic artifact..."

WC: 672
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)