Solo Healing Memories

Aster helps Jala with a sick child, and recalls a similar situation from her past.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Healing Memories

Postby Asterope on June 1st, 2021, 2:48 am

12th of spring, 521 AV

Aster's steps were sure as she weaved through the maze that was Tent City; she'd been to Jala's tent often enough to know the way now, and her confident stride as well as her path towards the Cutwife's place of residence usually deterred anyone from bothering her too much. It was just past evening, and she wore her mortal seeming with the pink and grey hair, crimson eyes peering out around her from underneath her hood.

Jala's tent was hard to miss; dried herbs were hung up outside of it, along with various bone charms and trinkets that clinked together quietly when the soft evening breeze brushed by, sending them swaying. The tent flap was closed, so Aster paused outside. "Jala?" She called, leaning close to listen. "It's Asterope."

She heard shuffling around inside the tent, and then Jala's voice called out. "Asterope? Come in, please." Aster ducked into the tent; Jala was perched on a stool at her table, and was just finishing tossing a ragged cloth over whatever she'd been working on, pushing it aside. Aster glanced at it curiously, but Jala caught her attention again, propping her chin in her hand.

"You don't come visit often anymore. What can I do for you?" Jala asked, raising a brow. Aster sat on one of the other stools at the table; the woman didn't question her different appearances after Aster had explained it as briefly and simply as she could. Why was she there? Because she was lonely, she supposed. There was a lot going on, a lot that she felt she had to do, and there was pressure from more than just herself.

"I wanted some company," she said, honestly, after a moment. Jala looked amused.

"Should I put some tea on, then?" She asked, and Aster nodded. Jala bustled around, getting a small fire going to boil some tea. A comfortable silence fell over the pair, but it wasn't long before they were interrupted; a woman's voice sounded from outside of Jala's tent, quiet but intense with desperation.

"Jala, are you in? I need help, please."

Jala and Aster glanced at each other, Aster tilting her head curiously as Jala raised a brow, striding over to the tent flap covering the entrance. She pulled it aside enough to peek out, then after a moment, stepped back inside, opening the flap wide enough for the woman to come inside.

In her arms, she cradled a young child. Aster stood up, a frown creasing her mouth and brows. Jala was all business suddenly; Aster had seen her like that before. "Pull out the spare cot over there," she said to Aster, briskly, and Aster hurried to obey, dragging the cot out. The woman made her way over, kneeling and gently setting the child down on the cot; it was a young girl, younger than Imogen if Aster had to guess. She looked pale, and her eyes were closed, her breathing coming ragged.

Word count: 493

The sun will rise, and we will try again
Asterope
A light that never goes out

Words: 661387
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1)

Healing Memories

Postby Asterope on June 1st, 2021, 2:50 am

"What's wrong with her?" Jala asked, as Aster lay a hand on the girl's forehead. Her skin felt dry and hot, and she coughed weakly, her eyes fluttering beneath their closed lids. The woman, Aster presumed her mother, looked distressed.

"She started getting sick a few days ago, after playing with a few other children down by the Mudway. It was just a mild cough at first, but then she was bedridden with fever." The mother sounded anxious, gripping her daughter's hand. It brought back a sharp, jarring memory.

✧ ✧ ✧

Aster hovered in the doorway of the tent, fretting but unsure what to do or how to help. "Get out," Letta seethed, turning to glare at her with tired eyes; bags sunk deep and dark into the skin below her eyes. Aster swallowed hard.

"I want to help," she said, quietly, and Letta rose from the bedside at which she had been sitting for hours upon hours.

"I said get out!" She snatched the empty mug from beside her and hurled it at Aster's head. The Eth managed to duck, the clay mug sailing over her head and thumping into the grass somewhere behind her.

"Letta, please," Aster said, desperately; the woman was searching for another mug when Nara appeared behind Aster.

"That's enough." Her voice was firm, stern but gentle. "Letta, I know you are worried about Etton, but taking your worries out on others with anger is no way to behave. Aster is here to help me ensure he gets better."

Letta was silent, but she looked away, turning her gaze back to the body of the young boy in the bed. She squeezed his small hand gently, leaning over to brush his hair back from his sweaty forehead and press a soft kiss to it.

Nara spoke in Pavi this time, hands shifting in signs of comfort and care as she told Letta to get some rest, approaching to rest a motherly hand on her shoulder. After a long moment, Letta turned away from her son, nodding to Nara. She mumbled something in Pavi, then left the tent, glaring at Aster as she shoved by more roughly than necessary.

Nara gave Aster an apologetic look as the Eth approached, gazing down at the young boy; he skin was glistening with the sheen of sweat that covered it, his breathing laboured. "Will he be okay?" Aster asked, in a whisper, and Nara looked pained.

"I don't know," the older woman answered honestly. "Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, the people we look after do not get better. And he is so young..." She sighed heavily. "But we will do our best, and we will pray, and we will remain positive for Letta's sake."

Aster nodded solemnly, resting a gentle hand on the boy's sweaty, fever hot cheek.

Word count: 469
Total: 962

The sun will rise, and we will try again
Asterope
A light that never goes out

Words: 661387
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1)