OOC Info Autumn 521 AV Calendar

Events occurring within Lhavit this autumn season.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Autumn 521 AV Calendar

Postby Luminescence on October 6th, 2021, 1:26 pm

The poisonings from the previous seasons have stopped, and the water supply is safe once more. The tension that has been building in the city recedes, and citizens instead turn their attention to dealing with the constant storms of the season, with most people huddling up indoors for the majority of the season.

Overview of Season Events

☼ Daytime Event - ☾ Nighttime Event
☆ Moderated/Prompted Event

1st: The Watchtowers flare red, announcing the beginning of autumn.

☾ 22nd: The Moon Festival is held, lasting well into the early hours of the following morning, despite the poor weather. As is common, a drunk Aysel can be spotted around the city throughout the night, Talora by his side.

☾ 46th: On the only real clear night of the season, the night sky is lit up by an impressive meteor shower, and people gather at the Observatory as well as at any open, high vantage points to observe it.

65th: The flooded Amaranthine River sweeps away a pair of hunters; the Shinya and Constellations caution against anyone daring to enter the Unforgiving to avoid the river at all costs.

☼ 72nd: There is a mudslide on the north-eastern side of the Sharai Peak, above the Amaranthine River. A herd of okomo get caught in it, and Khana Rayastai quickly puts together a team of anyone who is nearby and willing in an attempt to save as many of the animals as possible.

OOC Info & Seasonal Themes

This season is a bit low on events; every so often I like to do a seasonal theme calendar instead of focusing on events, and that's going to be the case this season. The theme for this season is Learning. This is a bit of a broad theme, but I'm hoping leaving it a bit open might allow for a bit more creativity with it, and hopefully it won't feel restricting, especially with NaNo this season.

I encourage you to take this theme as literally or figuratively as you would like; your PC can learn new skills, or perhaps they'll learn a moral lesson, or maybe they learn something about themselves. There are many, many possibilities with this theme, and I hope it helps spark some inspiration. The details of the seasonal theme challenge are below; as always, there will be prizes if you complete the requirements by season end. I have adjusted the number of required words to make up for the fact that I am posting the calendar a bit late as well. :)

Please post below if you're attempting the seasonal theme challenge of learning; you should keep track of your threads in this post, including links and word counts. You'll have to write 10,000 words on this theme/topic over the remainder of the season to complete the challenge; that's about 5,000 words a month. Threads written for the seasonal theme challenge can also include the usual seasonal city challenges found below.

As always, if you have any questions, let me know. Happy writing, and happy autumn! :D

Weather Throughout the Season

This autumn season is consistently dark and stormy; thunderstorms are the norm on most days, with dry days being few and far between. Even days without rain are cloudy, with dark, thick clouds looming over the city, and strong winds are constant. Lightning and thunder become familiar background noise, and people are rarely seen outdoors without hoods, coats, and tall boots. Puddles litter the streets, and the Alheas Park pond as well as the Amaranthine River overflow. The overall weather also takes a dip in temperature, becoming surprisingly chilly despite the lack of winter.

Seasonal Challenges

Complete 6 of these challenges to earn Lhavit's Seasonal Medal. A maximum of 3 challenges can be completed in a single thread, and if doing multiple challenges in a thread each one should consist of at least 800 words; that is, threads containing 2 challenges should be a minimum of 1,600 words, and threads containing 3 challenges should be a minimum of 2,400 words. Single challenge threads should be a minimum of 1,000 words. If you have completed the challenges, then post them to my office with links to the threads.

✧Catch a cold from getting caught in the rain

✧Kiss someone in the rain (with another PC)

✧Have a close call with a lightning strike

✧Play in the puddles in the streets (with another PC)

✧Earn 5 XP in a new artistic or crafting skill (Ex. Cooking, drawing, sewing, weaving, etc.)

✧Help rescue the okomo from the mudslide on the Sharai Peak

✧Experience cabin fever from being cooped up so much due to the weather

✧Tell scary stories around a fire (with another PC)

✧Earn 5 XP in an intellectual or scholarly skill (Ex. History, law, mathematics, philosophy, etc.)

✧Give a stranger shelter from the rain
Luminescence
Allow me to light the way

Words: 717627
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2018, 2:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)

Autumn 521 AV Calendar

Postby Ari'Ellin on October 6th, 2021, 2:32 pm

Tracker

I would like to participate in the learning theme challenge and I’ll update this thread with the threads I write towards the seasonal theme.
Thank you so much for all your work Lumi
Ari'Ellin
Player

Words: 151855
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2020, 10:31 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Autumn 521 AV Calendar

Postby Zach Grasswind on October 24th, 2021, 8:02 pm

I will also be participating in the theme challenge, looking forward to it!

Threads:
The Familiar Hunt - Zach learns some tracking techniques and how to field dress from Long Stan. Total wc: 2910

The Eyes Have It - Zach learns about pathfinding from Moritz. Wc: 7888 (5060 if you count the specific threads I wrote with his actively learning and not the whole thread).

The Lone Wolf Zach learns more hunting techniques. Total wc: 2010 (3474 plus posts from the 1st Dec, which I won't include in the total below).

So total is 9980 words, or 12808. So, I might have done it? Haha.
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Words: 193110
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2018, 12:56 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Autumn 521 AV Calendar

Postby Luminescence on December 8th, 2021, 5:38 pm

Challenge Prizes

Good attempt, Ari, and well done Zach! :) Zach, you can choose one of the following items as your prize; post your choice here and I'll update your SS accordingly. Thank you both for taking an interest in last season's challenge!

Lost Objects Compass: A small, dingy compass that seems to have the needle stuck in one position. It only works if someone who is looking for something they have lost picks it up, at which time it will point in the direction of the lost object. The person must specifically be looking for this object, and they must own it and have lost it or had it stolen for the compass to work.

Armband of Perseverance: An elaborate armband made of gold; when worn, the wearer feels stronger, more durable, and more confident. Wearing this armband grants a +10 to Endurance. Once per season, it can be used to double the wearer's physical strength for a full bell, however the wearer will be sore for several days afterwards and may suffer injury after the bell is up depending on what physical feats they attempted.

Crystal Lamp: A rough chunk of clear quartz crystal roughly 10 inches tall and 5 inches across. If the word 'Light' is spoken, the crystal will emit a gentle glow like candlelight that illuminates the immediate area; it is bright enough to see, read, and write by, and will fill the rest of a standard sized room with a dim light. Tapping the crystal once will change the color it is glowing; it will cycle through standard, red, blue, green, and purple before back to standard. Speaking the word 'Off' will turn the crystal off.

Flavourful Wine: A dark glass bottle of wine with a blank label. Upon opening it, the owner can request any flavour of wine they can imagine, even if it would normally be impossible to make wine in such a flavour. The wine will taste perfectly of what was requested, with a high alcohol content, and be of fine quality. Once the bottle is finished, it must be resealed, and it will refill after 15 days at which point a new flavour can be requested.

Okomo Horn Ring: A rare piece of jewelry crafted from the skyglass of an okomo's horns, it comes in a range of colours. The crystalline, iridescent ring is a solid band that will fit comfortably on the wearer's preferred finger. Wearing this ring makes okomo especially friendly towards the wearer; the wearer will have no trouble attracting okomo, and they will listen to any simple or basic commands without resistance, provided the commands do not put the okomo in danger. This ring is generally only useful in Lhavit and the surrounding wilderness, as okomo are not found outside of the city or immediate area surrounding it.

Tanroa's Ring of Safety: A simple golden ring with an hourglass carved into it. When the wearer finds themselves in a life-threatening situation, the ring will automatically activate; everything and everyone within a 20-foot radius from the wearer will freeze in time for exactly a single minute, potentially buying the wearer enough time to get out of the situation. Onlookers will not notice anything strange. The ring only has a single charge per season, and cannot be activated by choice.

Crystal of Disease: A palm-sized clear quartz crystal. When held by someone who has been poisoned or has a serious illness, it will turn black; the darker the crystal, the more serious the illness. Holding the crystal while ill will slow the spread of the poison or disease by 25%, buying the sick slightly more time to find a cure or seek aid.

Wolf Guardian: A bone whistle carved into the shape of a wolf's head. It emits a shrill sound when blown, almost too shrill for a normal human to hear. Once per season, blowing this whistle will summon a large white wolf to the wearer's aid; it cannot speak, but will seemingly understand what the whistle-blower asks of it, and while it has no special abilities, will do whatever it can to help. Once it has done what it can to help, the wolf will leave. While the whistle will only summon the wolf once per season, it can be used as a normal whistle the rest of the time.

As usual, your prize must be acquired in a thread and cannot be sold, gifted, or otherwise given away.
Luminescence
Allow me to light the way

Words: 717627
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2018, 2:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)

Autumn 521 AV Calendar

Postby Zach Grasswind on December 8th, 2021, 8:56 pm

Ooh exciting! Thanks Lumi!
I think I would like to go for the Crysal of Disease please.
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Words: 193110
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2018, 12:56 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)