Closed Favor One of Three (Maderia)

Alice cashes in one favor for the low price of being stabbed a while back

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Favor One of Three (Maderia)

Postby Alice Weaver on November 10th, 2021, 9:22 pm

10th of Autumn, 521

It had been a few days since Alice’s first true outing in a new body that didn’t involve mucking through an insect-infested and not really a goddess forsook swamp, considering it was a goddess who put them there in the first place but she digressed. The point was that she now had a slightly dark if ambitious outlook on being able to feel again. She had quite the episode out on the bridge in the rain culminating in almost getting struck by lighting. If that wasn’t a sign to get your ass moving and start on your ambitions she did not know what would be a bigger sign. Well perhaps a literal God coming down and personally telling her to move her ass but that seemed as unlikely as getting almost struck by lightning a second time.

If anything now was the perfect time to begin to cash in favors with Maderia and get the ball rolling. She had the perfect opportunity to dip her toes into the djet flow of the world and now would not even be that reliant on others to get practice in with her new body that felt as good, if not better, than her master level spiritist partner. And best start early to learn some of what it’s all about as the ghost had her eyes set on the Tower of Twilight. That was where the true magic she was interested in happened. That was where the Alchemy happened. That was where she was going to find her new body. She felt that more clearly than anything else.

The only issue was getting the connections, catching up to others, and most importantly convincing people that she was a viable student despite her mostly dead form. It seemed like ghost discrimination really but she supposed her kind did have a reputation but she hoped some mage’s curiosity of why a ghost would want to learn magic would tip it over the edge. Besides having a spirit that would work hard dawn to dusk and be around for possibly a good hundred or more years seemed like a positive investment.

The only issue there was getting to the place and showing that she did indeed have the drive and begin to work on making those connections, which hopefully she would have some help with. She already met with Alegard Dusk and he seemed painfully interested in what she was planning on doing so already there was a connection that could be used to backtrack into something. If anything it was a starting point. Just like this breakfast was about to be the starting point of starting points.

Alice was up early in the morning as she had tended towards since becoming dead but this time she was making a few clanging noises and slight swears as this time she was up in physical form. Not materializing but in the soulless body of Cavan that she walked down from her room. She didn’t trust her projection enough but she trusted her possession more. Her ability to twine through the body and race along its astral form was so calming to the ghost. The feeling of sinking into another body and feeling it become an extension of yours was something she knew no one other than ghosts would understand.

But her joy at getting a body that could feel was overtaken by her deep concentration as she, for the first time in six years, attempted to remember how to make breakfast.

“Eggs, milk, butter, flour, gasp she has sugar?” Albeit a small amount but the ghost added it to the growing pile on the counter, burying an unfortunate cast iron pan in the process. The Manor’s pantry was very well stocked with more food than Alice could ever remember seeing and she realized that whatever comfort food she ate as a kid would pale in comparison to whatever Maderia probably ate. But no matter she was cooking for herself as much as she was for her partner.

She also did not that it had a concerning amount of bones in jars throughout the food and jars of what she smelled to be soulmist.

First things first were to get the oats happily boiling away in a pot on the stove that the Manor so happily provided her with. The large cast iron pan sat proudly on the cast iron stove as Alice struggled to light the wood underneath it. Usually, her father lit it but this time there was no father so she had to rough it out with the flint and steel. It did not take her as long as she thought because as soon as she began to strike the flint a memory came bubbling up to the surface. Not one of hers but of the body.

The memory was distorted and hard to make out but she did sense the feeling of shaving tinder, lighting that, growing the small ember that sat within the nest of flammables as it struggled for life before catching and quickly growing with a raging hunger that demanded more fuel. The memory showed it quickly being shoved into a pile of wooden logs as it flicked up in a roaring, warm fire. The flames licked across the memory’s fingers and hers! The pain snapped her back as she woke back up from the haze now crouched in front of a warm fire crackling under the stove. Her fingertips only slightly burned for the effort.

“What was that?” She wondered out loud before banishing the question with a shake of her head, “It makes sense. There was someone previously in this body.”

With the fire going it only took a couple of minutes for the water to come up to a rolling boil as she dumped the oats into the pot and gave it a stir. Already there was another pan sitting next to the pot that was beginning to heat up as she tossed a few pieces of dried beef within the pan with a splash of water, covering it to let the meat rehydrate. It was a trick she learned having grown up on tough and preserved cuts.

After a minute or so of simmering, she pulled the lid off and dumped out the leftover water before throwing a spoonful of lard on the strips of meat, crisping them to a golden brown as the spat and shook on the pan, released the heavy and savory scent of fried meat into the air.

The meat was soon done cooking as following into the pan were two eggs with golden yokes. She wasn’t going to try anything fancy just a quick and easy fried egg as they formed a lacey and golden brown edge as the white took on a more opaque color as meat fat was spooned over top.

It was relaxing to cook something simple, it reminded her of what she used to make at home for her siblings when Mother was out before breakfast.

The boiled oats were split into two bowls and quickly topped with a fried egg each and strips of meat, she didn’t think Maderia would appreciate a smiley face formed of the food. And to top it off one of the few apples left from the end of the season was cut into slices and placed on top of the bed of porridge. It was as good a meal as any as she took the two bowls out to a table and set them across from one another and took her place as she waited for Maderia to come down.

A “Good morning,” and a “we need to talk,” were already on her lips whenever the master of the household came down.

Wc: 1291
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Words: 184933
Joined roleplay: November 7th, 2020, 11:42 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on November 11th, 2021, 5:27 am

Madeira woke with a startled jolt as two stories below a member of their household crashed around in the kitchen.

"Mmmwastha?" the taller woman beside her rolled into her wife, squinting blearily in the hazy morning light. Always fresh and beautiful when working in the tower or helping her father with his various Tower duties, not many people knew Chiona was a wreck first thing in the morning. Yawning like a lion, she wrapped her whole body around her pillow like she was attempting to crawl inside.

"It's nothing. Go back to sleep", Madeira brushed the woman's tangled hair off her forehead with the tips of her burned fingers. It was still such a thrill to touch her like this. She couldn't explain it, except perhaps to Belladonna, but she felt powerful when touching her with her ruined hands. She felt like a monster.

Chiona made a growling, grumpy noise and burrowed deeper into the covers.

Taking that as her cue, Madeira sat up and stretched. She had never replaced the broken bedpost that was ripped off when her most powerful ghost tried to kill her, so she carefully held it below its splintered head as she pull herself out of bed. She supposed she never wanted to forget that wake up call. Now that the goddess Cheva had turned on her too that little reminder felt more applicable than ever.

She found her robe where it had been thrown over the back of a chair and tied it around her waist. Cheva's deadline was fast approaching and she still had no idea what she could do to appease the goddess. The words still rang in her head: love her selflessly, not selfishly. And let her learn to love you for who you really are, not who she thinks you are, or who you pretend to be.

If I feel you've done well enough, I will relent, and I will give both you and Chiona my blessing to make your union true in the eyes of all. If you fail to meet my expectations...

Gods be damned.

Sliding her toes into the grove around the trap door, she quietly lifted the thing until she could catch it in her hands and begin the long descent down the floating stairs. Just as she was about to close the door behind her she stopped on the stair and looked up at the pile of blankets that was her wife.

"I love you, Chiona."

"Mmloveyouto"

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Madeira yawned into her withered left hand as she descended the last of the tight spiral turns onto the first floor and almost choked. Even almost a season later it still looked like there was a stranger in her house. A tall, rugged man was sitting at her kitchen table with two meals in front of him, announcing at once good morning and we need to talk in one breath.

"Alice. Gods, you scared me. Why did you get him out of bed? What's all this?"

Well, it looked edible. It even looked good. The smell of bacon and fresh apples hung heavy in the air as she approached suspiciously. She already knew what this was: a trap. Negotiation 101, reciprocity. Small favours and niceties compel one to reciprocate when a favour is asked.

Well, there was nothing for it now. She was just going to have to deal with whatever the ghost wanted from her.

Madeira dropped resignedly into the opposite seat and pulled the plate of porridge towards her. "Thank you. This looks nice. Now, what do we need to talk about?", she asked pleasantly.

Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Alice Weaver on November 11th, 2021, 5:39 pm

“...must you always approach everything as if I am about to stab you?” The ghost in a human body pouted as Maderia returned her greeting as she approached the table. Having shared her mind and body Alice was well versed at seeing the slight tension in her body that betrayed her suspicion. “Because if I did you wouldn’t know when it was going to happen.” She grins, half-laughing but also half-serious. “But we work well together so I think you are fine for the time being, Mads. Haha.”

She used the nickname the ghost gave her in the swamp to breed more familiarity and comfort. Besides, it was just genuinely fun to use that nickname instead of her actual name.

“As for why I brought out Cavan? One it was easier to cook this with a physical body and I think I would piss off a good few pedestrians if I nabbed a body off the streets and forced them to cook oats...besides if I wasn’t using him how else would I taste this?” She offered while grabbing a much too fancy spoon and stirred it through the porridge making the golden yoke run and mix in with the light brown of the oats.

She let Maderia sit there for a few seconds as she shoved a large spoonful into her mouth with a slice of egg, a large strip of bacon, all resting on a heaping of oats. Alice took a moment to savor the flavor of the rich egg and the salty meat with closed eyes before they blinked open. She had purposely given herself a smaller amount of one to pace herself and two to make sure Maderia was stuck to the table while she was not.

“Anyways eat and I tell you what's happening.” She said as she leaned back into the chair as the body went slack in a sitting position as her soulmist coiled out of its mouth and ears, moving in a drifting mass next to the seat before a leg stepped out, quickly followed by the rest of her body. Alice was wearing similar clothes to the body she was just in, cotton work clothes of medium quality and a jacket wrapped around her waist. Her hair was pulled back by a simple strip of linen and her feet were bare. “He’ll rest there as we talk.” She grinned as she cocked her head at Maderia, her red ringlets of hair not flowing as they usually did, bound as they were by the fabric. She had left the body purely for the fact that it had to be uncomfortable eating next to a soulless body.

But the Ghost didn’t let the casually leaving of a body throw off her stride as she began to walk around the table, taking a scenic route as she spoke.

“You know I want to learn some form of magic, more specifically Alchemy...well and some shielding and glyphing as well but that's unimportant. Those are just simply so people don’t get vaporized so easily. You knew this already, I hope, but it becomes a point of where do I learn these things? And that's when I learned about the Twilight Tower, home of Alchemy and Morphing. The morphing being the uninteresting aspect to me.” She took an unnecessary breath.

“But the issue is it's quite hard to get into the Tower. More so if I am dead and know no practical applications of magecraft. So this is where you come into play.” She stated as she finally reached behind the seat of Maderia and leaned over to pull a napkin over Maderia’s lap, her icy aura leaking around the wood of the chair, her face directly next to Maderia’s but staring straight ahead.

“So I am asking you to teach me. But I’m not going to make you kill yourself for the first favor for me. That will be later favors. So Maderia, teach me how to shield or…” She paused, her grin coming back to her face, “hypnotism. The choice is yours…”

She backed away from the chair and drifted a few feet behind Maderia in her chair. “Also, how has Aldgare been? Does he still have interest in talking to a Ghost that wants, and now is, learning magic?”

WC: 716
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Words: 184933
Joined roleplay: November 7th, 2020, 11:42 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)