Closed The Eyes Have It

Zach and Moritz meet in the Outpost.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

The Eyes Have It

Postby Zach Grasswind on November 21st, 2021, 9:46 am

"Speech"

Zach would have loved to be able to see how Moritz’s mind was working. He was sure that there was a lot being thought out internally, with just as much being spoken to Zach. Moritz talked in a very roundabout manner, and it took Zach a few ticks to register everything he was saying. A wry smile ghosted across his mouth and he shook his head lightly in amusement.

The Drykas tried to follow carefully as Moritz spoke of his meeting with the rulers of Lhavit. He was somewhat relieved to hear that they did not appear to have been overly interested in the topic of Moritz’s eyes. His brow dropped into a small frown however at his last sentence. Why would it have been requested to keep it a secret? It was not like it was easy to hide the fact that they were walking about with starburst eyes. Zach was about to ask as much when the boy spoke again.

He blinked in confusion as Moritz appeared to give them a title. Iraso… It was a foreign word to the hunter, and perhaps the most important piece of information he had heard so far. It was frustrating to Zach, that Moritz appeared so reluctant to share anything in detail with him, though if he had been sworn to secrecy he supposed that was why. He wondered how easy this witch would be to find. Likely not easy at all, for the mountains around Lhavit were dangerous at the best of times.

Again Moritz mentioned going blind and mad, and Zach supressed a shudder. It appeared he had been lucky, though in reality the hunter had not had much of a choice in the matter. It was a case of accept the gift or die on the side of the mountain.

He listened with interest as Moritz listed the reasons for wanting a pig. It appeared there was a lot more to it that just finding something to experiment on. Not that the Drykas had even thought or dreamed of doing such a thing anyway. He said as much in response to Moritz’s question.
“Honestly I had not intended to use it on anyone… The idea never occurred to me. I wouldn’t even know where to start with it.”

Still there were more reasons. Zach’s mind wandered momentarily back to the Spicecoat dogs he had seen in the main part of the Bazaar. Would one of them be of more use if Zach gave them the eyes? He dismissed the idea right away. He definitely needed to know more before even entertaining the mere thought, let alone carrying out such an action. He noticed too, that Moritz had used the word ‘settlement’ to describe where he was living a couple of times. He would have to ask the boy about it, so he could hopefully sate his curiosity and let Madeira know where her son had ended up.

Zach gave Moritz his full attention again when he went on to speak of the word ‘Iraso’. Zach was, apparently, an Iraso. As was Moritz and the fox. It made sense that the gift had a name. He nodded as it was explained that animals with the eyes – Iraso animals – were ‘more’ than regular beasts. The fox had appeared much more intelligent and aware than any other he had encountered before, so that at least made sense to him.

Zach chuckled.
“I suppose you did answer my question for I only asked for a little more information. I think I can see why a pig might be useful. I suppose it would be able to help you with some things, right?” He thought best on how to word his next however, for he was quickly learning that it was best to choose words carefully when speaking with Moritz.

“I would like to know if there is a way to learn exactly what this ability is. As I said, I was given the eyes by a fox, and so it was not able to tell me anything at all. I managed to work out that I can see trails of some sort when I am using it. Is that all there is to it? Why can you not speak about it to other people?”
Zach paused momentarily, considering how to explain the question without making Moritz feel like he was demanding anything. “I only ask that because obviously we can’t hide it, and I don’t see a reason for it to be a secret. After all, magic is taught freely in Lhavit is it not?”

Zach clasped and unclasped his hands in his lap while thinking on how to answer the final question.
“I suppose afraid is quite a strong word to have used. Hesitant would have been better. It is because I know so little about it. The fox could not speak to me, so I was left to work this out on my own. I had no idea what it was, how it worked, anything.
Having something new and unknown pushed upon you is a scary thing. I didn’t think about it at the time as it really was a life or death situation. But since then, and after speaking to your mother, she told me a little about how some magics work. About how if you use too much you can hurt yourself. Is that true for this? Do you know if there is somewhere I can go to learn how to use it properly?”

wc: 892
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Words: 193110
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2018, 12:56 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

The Eyes Have It

Postby Moritz Craven on November 21st, 2021, 6:32 pm

Thinking on the mans comment Moritz considered their differing thought processes. As soon as the gift was passed on to him as it had been, he had begun thinking on how it had been passed on and how he could possibly do so to others at a later date.

Not that he would do so, but just that it was possible and therefore had begun considering how it was done, the mechanism and such. If Zach had not considered this before, then perhaps their processes truly were that different. But then, Moritz also seemed to be realizing something Zach did not consider. Anything rare was valued. And anything of value had someone who wanted it. Which meant the possibility of someone wanting Moritz for his eyes, or demanding he pass it on. He did not want to get into such a situation, but if he ever did he wanted to be in the best position to do so. That meant having the capability to do it correctly. Or... A sudden thought Moritz had... Could someone, as a very limited usage weapon, purposely mess up the initiation to in a way attack someone?

The more Moritz thought on it the more he realized how limited it was, if it even was attempted. But the only situation he could see of to use it where another weapon would not be far superior, would be him being bound and tied, and his attacker being in his face with eyes meeting his own for a long period of time... Perhaps being interrogated or such? And even then if the attacker simply did not hold the gaze, and immediately pulled away, he did not think it would work. Very limited then, but still something Moritz would tuck away in a corner of his mind as a note for later.

"Well like I said, that is probably good. What with the downside to failing and all. And if you are as unskilled as you say you are, and have used it so little, then its unlikely you would even be able to if you tried. Though I'm a bit unclear on the exact limits of when it can be attempted."

Smiling for a moment Moritz took the mans words, and realized he either did have some decent jokes or was speaking in the same spirit or vein as Moritz as he answered his question. In truth, though Moritz had forgotten the question, if the question was only for some new info then he had already gone above and beyond that.

"Some things yes. Though an Iraso of any kind is still an Iraso, so could be of use in that respect the same as me or... Well you, but perhaps you once you have practiced some more... "

He was not trying to insult the man, but he had already noted himself how limited his abilities were, and so if that was true and he was untrained it reasoned he was also unskilled and of limited use as an Iraso.

At the turning back to things of learning about being an Iraso and using Pathfinding, Moritz grew once more a more neutral and solemn countenance and considered before speaking. He could say one thing, or nothing... He could already cut things off there and his conscious would be settled by having warned of the dangers of the ability.... But he could also say more and further explain... But then, he realized another thing. Explaining some aspects of Pathfinding to a non-Iraso was like trying to explain red to a blind man. They simply did not have the sense to understand it, and so it was meaningless.

"I am sure there are ways for you to learn it. Such as finding the witch who taught me. Though I cannot lead you not being in Lhavit, and I am unsure how to meet her myself without being there myself. But yet again, I doubt that is your actual question. If you are looking for a school on this, I am fairly certain there is not one. As for secrecy and freedom of instruction, I'm sorry but really? You are going to say that? If It was not such a serious thing I might laugh."

Indeed Moritz did take on a grim grin for a moment before it faded, as he shook his head and met the mans eyes. Even he knew better than that, thinking back to the lesson he had sat in on with his mother in Spiritism. Of the students, their nature, and who they were. What they said. It had been awhile back, and he had been much younger then, but he still remembered enough to know that magic was certainly not free in Lhavit.

"Don't be foolish. Magic being free? In Lhavit? So, you could walk in off the street to one of the towers, request instruction, and not only would they do so but they would not charge you anything? And of course no one is ever turned away from a tower seeking instruction then? That is what you are saying?"

Shaking his head at the notion Moritz nearly smiled again, but passed on his feelings for the moment.

"There is a difference between hiding something, and freely speaking of it to the... Non-Iraso. Anyone who looks can see our changed eyes. But that is not the same as detailing what it allows us to do. Or other such things. And that is what my teacher told me to keep. Not to lie or to deny being changed, but to limit it to the fact that I had been. That is why I told people the truth, that it was a gift from a witch I met, and nothing else."

Thinking on this, Moritz knew he did not fully understand some things himself, but had figured a few things out from context and afterwards.

"For starters, if people know fully what we could do, would that allow them to do it themselves? No. It would not. Additionally, it is not so common as the magics taught in the towers. I have met three people who could use it, all in or around Lhavit, myself, my teacher, and you. None others even here in the outpost who have these eyes. So it is rare. And even for the towers, with something better known and less rare, they do not freely exchange and give away their knowledge. To do so would devalue it. If you were not a friend of our family, and not an Iraso yourself already, I would not have said much I have. Those are a few reasons I'm sure why my instructor asked me to not go into detail on it. And I am sure there are others I have not thought of. I trusted her to her reasons and accepted them. And I have no intention of breaking my word. I ask that you do the same, to not go around freely giving away the details of being an Iraso beyond what is freely visible, but I cannot force you to do so. I have asked my mother to avoid doing so as well, and I cannot force her either, but I trust she will not betray my trust in doing so frivolously. The more fully others know of things, the more they will think they understand, and the more they will try to control."

Listening to Zach's explanation on his feelings he nodded along as he listened, not openly disagreeing but only showing he was listening as he had seen others do. He let Zach speak his piece, before considering some more silently... And only then once he was done considering speaking again.

"And yet, it is the word you used. Which makes me think it might not be wrong and was what you meant... As for the dangers of using it... Well I have explained the details of initiation... As for general use... It has been awhile since my instructor told me of it, but I do not think if using ones Iraso vision is truly a magic like others, that from what she said it is like other magics with the same risks. At least not to the same degree. Though I cannot say it has no dangers at all in using it. But I've seen it used for quite awhile. I would just say the same as anything else, of working out or such. If you are tired, take a break. If you are hungry, eat. And don't overdo things. And if you sense something wrong, then stop. "

Pausing again for his words to sink in Moritz let in and out a few breaths slowly, trying to free his mind of distractions and letting Zach mull things over while he once more looked about the garden.

"If you are new I suppose I could explain a few ways to practice for a beginner, and how to tell when you are past the first test of using the ability... But as for the ability itself... Well honestly it is hard to tell someone in words. It would be like trying to explain to a blind man what the color red is. Those without Iraso vision are those blind people. Or more so... How to put it... Imagine everything in the world was painted in a set of unique colors you've never heard of before. In addition and on top of the other things you normally see. Red. Blue. Green. When you use your Iraso vision, activate it, you can see those new colors. Each to its own. The Moritz color. The Zach color. The that rock color. The this bow color. Each to its own. Understand so far? Though admittedly, being able to tell those unique colors apart takes some time and practice. I can tell a few on sight, but not all and not new ones. I'd advise trying to learn your own... Color, so to speak."

WC: 1,660
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

The Eyes Have It

Postby Zach Grasswind on November 25th, 2021, 5:57 pm

"Speech"

Zach’s mouth twitched in an almost smile. It was not that the conversation was amusing to him, for it was quite the opposite. It was more so that the way Mortiz spoke, even of dire consequences, was so deadpan. He wondered how the boy had come to be as he was, for he knew that his mother was so different – knowledge excited her and it was easy to understand that when she was speaking. Perhaps it was the Okomo part coming through.

The Drykas listened attentively as the conversation turned to learning, nodding as Moritz mentioned the possibility of finding the witch who had given him the eyes. It sounded as though the boy didn’t actually know where she lived, outside of ‘in the mountains’, so that was a rather large obstacle there. Perhaps when the spring came in the following year, granting safer journeys he might start trying to find her whereabouts. Though with any luck, by then perhaps he may no longer need instruction.

He blinked, confused as to why Moritz had found his question so amusing. His brow furrowed as the boy went on to explain a little of the towers. Truthfully, Zach had never given them much thought – he knew not what happened within their walls and it had never occurred to him to ask. Madeira taught in one of them, that he knew, and each one had a certain kind of magic school. However that was where his knowledge ended.

He shrugged, smiling a little sheepishly though he was far from embarrassed about his lack of knowledge. “I never went to any school and I was not born in Lhavit, so honestly I don’t know how it works. Not that you would know that of course.” Zach’s school had been the open grasslands of Cyphrus and the noisy, chaotic Pavilions of his family.

“I meant more that magic was not something hidden away, rather than something offered for free.” He nodded as Moritz went on to explain a little further. While nobody had really questioned him about his eyes yet, Zach could imagine it would be difficult to feign nonchalance about the fact that they had changed at all.

Understanding came easier as Moritz set out his reasonings. While the Drykas was still not particularly fussed with the monetary value of something, he was starting to see other reasons to keep quiet on the workings of the eyes. To be one of a few people with such a gift was exciting yes, but perhaps dangerous too. As he had thought earlier, people who enjoy power tend to want more of it in whatever way they can find it. If more people knew of the gift of the eyes then it was not impossible that there would be those who would do anything to get it for themselves.

“I am starting to understand… I won’t be shouting from the rooftops about this Moritz, don’t worry.” He paused for a tick as he remembered something. “I did mention it to my…” What exactly was Dev’Ania to him?… that was perhaps a question for another day. “…someone close to me. Not all of it, but some parts. But much as you trust your mother, I trust her to keep it to herself.”

A wry smile flitted over Zach’s mouth at Moritz’s next words. The boy had a shrewd mind, that was for sure. Using the magic sounded a lot less scary than he had imagined. He supposed it made sense, for it didn’t seem to be quite as grand as some other kinds he knew of.
“So… the real risk is in the initiation then?” That part had been truly terrifying. “Using… Iraso sight, is that it’s proper name?... is not overly risky? For some reason I had imagined myself collapsing and things.” He trailed off into thought again. If it was not such a bad thing to use at will, Zach could see how he could start to utilise it as a tool for his work. Being a hunter and a tracker would be much aided with this particular skill.

“I would appreciate that very much Moritz. And thank you, for explaining to me as much as you have already.”
He nodded in agreement and smiled again. He had used the vision maybe three times in total so far, and each time it had taken him a moment to get used to the overwhelm of visual information he saw.
“I think I could recognise my own ‘colour’.” Colour was the easiest word, the one he had used when trying to explain it to Madeira. If Zach had to describe his own colour he would use the word gold perhaps, or sunlight.

Zach decided to take a moment to try and remember what things had looked like the first time he had used the sight. He had been in the forest on the Misty Peaks outside of Lhavit. There had been dozens and dozens of trails cross crossing every which way, all different colours and brightness’s. His own body had been bathed in gold when he had looked down at himself, and the little Misty Fox had been surrounded by some shade of blue.

Something Moritz said registered him his brain a few moments delayed.
“Rocks and bows? You can see the trails of objects with this?” He cast his gaze around the garden, wondering if everything here would have a trail. When he had used the Iraso vision before he had not recognised any objects seeming to have a colour like he did.
He turned back to Moritz, thoughtful
“Your mother said it was djed I – we – are seeing. Is that right? I didn’t realise objects had any.” He frowned at the fountain for a tick. “I assume that the more this vision is used, the clearer it becomes? I don’t think it would be much use to me at the moment, at least not in a place as busy as this…”

wc: 1141
Last edited by Zach Grasswind on January 7th, 2022, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

The Eyes Have It

Postby Moritz Craven on November 26th, 2021, 3:06 pm

While Moritz had not practiced instructing people much before, of late he had been attempting to learn more of it. It was tricky, teaching someone else something, since it required the teacher to think how the other person would understand things, and to try to put it into terms they would understand... Which often meant simplifying things to a lower degree even when he understood it as it was. But then that was communication, not saying what you knew but saying it so as to be able to explain it to another.

In that respect teaching, Moritz realized, was just another form of talking. And talking was all about finding the right words for something. Though in Moritz case that was sometimes more like finding eight words for the situation, rather than one...

Moritz himself tended to approach most things with the same dead pan flat words, but internally he did feel. Excitement. Sadness. Anger. Annoyance. He simply did not express them as most people did, which made him come off as blank to most people. Once more it was simply an issue of communication. He was not using the right words, or in this case expressions, so that most people could understand what he was feeling. He still felt or thought them, it just did not appear that was as his expressions differed from most.

"Outward appearance and inward are not always the same thing. And you yourself said you did not practice anything that could be considered magic until recently. So that seems to indicate much of how magic really works in Lhavit would not be known to you. I would avoid assuming such things until you have really experienced them. Plus there is the whole concept of... Uh, whats the word.... Vested interest. Yes, that. I imagine the towers, being standing for a long time, have a lot of that. Which would mean them trying to interfere or get involved if some new thing came around."

As Moritz understood, some people were the jealous kind. And if they thought someone else was trying to take some of their power... Well then, they might not take too kindly to that. Magic being well... Magic... He did not imagine it would be much better. If anything since it was magic it might be even worse, with people even more vigilant and overprotective. Not that Moritz understood that really. It was not like they were throwing fireballs or other such fantastic things, all they did was see some things others could not. He did enjoy practicing it, but did not think it should be fought or killed over. But he did not doubt there would be those who would.

"Mmmm... Well, you might want to mention specifically they should do so, just to be on the same side. As much for her as for you. Particularly if its someone you are close to... Someone might try do so something indirect for instance, and go through them..."

"As for the risk, it definitely has risks in initiation, but I don't know that it is inherently too risky in using it. At least as far as I know. Probably best to avoid using it for long prolonged periods without need, but other than that I don't see much risk and have seen others who did not seem to have much issue with using it. I mean, if a beast can use it without doing such bad things, surely we as a sentient being can do so. Otherwise all these beasts would end up being these back lashed beings."

Zach seemed to agree to Moritz offering, and did seem interested in taking some lessons from Moritz. The young kelvic did not see any issue in teaching a few things, if it meant Zach would be more comfortable with his ability.

"It can be tricky to explain as I said, since the concepts involved in Iraso sight are limited to Iraso sight. So terms and words non-Iraso use do not really fit. Like I said, it would be like trying to explain colors to a blind man, so trying to explain Iraso concepts are to non-Iraso."

Zach seemed to have a basic understanding of Pathfinding, though from what he said he seemed to be in the first stage of learning it, practicing and taking time to even turn it on or off. Moritz himself was still at that first stage, but he felt he was nearing the second stage of easier and regular usage.

"Ah, yes. Everything has djed, and so everything has djed trails. So you should be able to follow even rocks and bows and things. At least, eventually... Admittedly, at the first stage of usage ones abilities are so limited it can be rather hard unless the item is powerful. Like something with magic or the like. People tend to be easiest. Full sentient beings. Ghosts are a bit harder since they are dead. Animals are alive so not too hard, but harder than people. And then items... Well the more mundane they are the harder they are to see and follow, but I've seen some items that come across as stronger."

Thinking on this for a moment Moritz remembered the bracelet stuck to his body which he could not remove. It surely had some kind of magic too it, and so would be brighter than a normal such bracelet.

"This bracelet for instance, I believe has some magic. It might be easier to follow with ones Iraso sight."

"I'm not really sure what this thing does, but I think it has some kind of capability. Or maybe its cursed... I'm not really sure. I can't remove it, which seems to be one of the effects. And also I can sort of... Sense something, when I touch someone now that I have it. So, probably some kind of abilities."

"As with anything, say a muscle, the more you use it the stronger you get and the easier some things become. Its my understanding that some things will be easier as you get better. And those patchy bits, parts where the trail drops off and gets lost, I think those will become rarer. I think other things will become possible once you are more skilled, but for now it is yes somewhat limited."

Holding up two fingers Moritz continued his explanation, starting on the meet of the practice lesson.

"For now, new as you are, there are two ways to practice. One, turning your Iraso sight on and off. It takes an effort to do either, and so practicing both can be of help. And two, following the djed trails you can see. As for the test... Well right now you are at what I like to call stage one. Once you are at stage two you will be able to freely turn your Iraso sight on and off at will. That is the test for stage two. After that I'm unsure, perhaps there are other points of progress. But being able to do that freely seems a pretty clear test for usage. And a clear way to mark that you have progressed."

WC: 1,191
OOC: Edited after Zach's edit for removal of PF.
Last edited by Moritz Craven on January 8th, 2022, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Eyes Have It

Postby Zach Grasswind on November 26th, 2021, 10:37 pm

"Speech"

It had taken Zach a little while to get used to the way people thought and explained things in Lhavit. Occasionally still he was caught off guard by someone more introverted and analytical than the norm, and Moritz was one of those people. The hunter was by no means stupid, but it just took him a little more time to sort through large amounts of information and remember to be more logical with his responses. The Drykas people were loud and said what they thought as soon as it occurred to them. Zach and Moritz were seemingly total opposites in this respect, but Zach was listening intently, trying his best to get on the boy’s level.

He nodded to show Moritz he was taking on board what he was saying. Even with the obtaining of a type of magic, Zach found he still had little interest in whatever it was the towers taught. It probably wouldn’t hurt to know what kinds of magic there were, but outside of that he was not sure if it was worth his time or money. He would make sure he remembered to have a look at some point, just in case he changed his mind.

It appeared that Moritz had similar thoughts as he had just realised too, though he voiced them in a much more sinister manner. Zach had never thought that anyone may try to go through other people, people he cared about, in order to obtain information about a new kind of magic. Then again, if he had thought about it a little more, knowing now just how rare this magic was, he may well have come to the same conclusion. Even if he knew little of magic, Zach knew of the wider world and of the nature of people.
“You make a good point there. I’ll be sure to mention it to her the next time I see her.”

Moritz’s words offered further reassurance that the Iraso magic was not as dangerous as he had imagined it could be. Zach nodded again. “That makes a lot of sense. I mean… If I think about it, it seems to be a type of magic that one would use for a while, right? Following trails and all that sort of thing takes time. “

He smiled in agreement as Moritz moved on to speaking more about the actual use of Iraso sight. It was true that Zach wouldn’t know quite how to put what he could see into words for someone who couldn’t see it themselves. He could speak of ‘colours’ to Mortiz, who would know what he meant, but in reality they were seeing much more than that.

It was good to have Moritz confirm that what he was seeing was djed trails. It would also explain why every trail he saw was different, as he understood that djed was unique to each person, like a personality would be. Some colours did appear identical, and he couldn’t tell if it was because it was the same person leaving them or just that he was too inexperienced to see any other differences, but perhaps that was something he would get better at figuring out.

“I see. That is interesting to know. Especially about ghosts… I didn’t see anything when I looked at Emma and your mother said it was because ghosts don’t have any djed.” He paused, thinking for a tick. “Perhaps it is possible to see the remnants of it sometimes…” Zach shrugged to himself and brought his attention back to the present. “It makes sense that humans and probably animals are the easiest since we are alive and all.”

He watched Moritz for a moment as the boy moved his arm deliberately through the air. Zach closed his eyes again to make it easier for him to concentrate, and once more tried to visualise the trails he knew he should see. He thought of the feeling behind his eyes, and when he could feel it for real, he opened his eyes again. He looked first at the bracelet, noting how it was surrounded by a twisting colour that was very different to the one that seemed to cling to Moritz himself.

He raised an eyebrow at the boy.
“Cursed, you say?” He looked at the bracelet again. The colour – djed – surrounding it, while not very bright to Zach, didn’t appear malicious. If of course, the appearance of djed had anything to do with the nature of the thing, which he didn’t know. “Interesting. It definitely has a different colour than you, whatever the case may be.”

He moved his gaze to the space in front of them now, searching out the trail that Moritz had left with the bracelet. It was there, hanging a little higher than most of the others, but it was faint. Whether that was due to it being from an object, or because he was still new to the gift, he did not know. It also had a gap already appearing, the edges of it seeming to fade in and out of vision before it grew larger. After a chime or so of examining the trail, Zach closed his eyes and concentrated to turn the vision off once again. He could probably have left it on and been perfectly okay for a while, but it was distracting to have so many trails criss-crossing all over the place all the time.

“I saw it. It was really faint right from the start, like some of the trails in the park that I assume were left by people – old trails. But I definitely saw the bracelet.” He listened carefully as Moritz explained how Zach could practice using the vision, and improve it too. It would be nice to not have to focus so hard to activate the Iraso sight, so that was definitely something Zach would start working on. It sounded as though the Kelvic was at ‘stage two’ perhaps, or at least almost there, and that gave Zach an idea.

“Moritz, since you’ve helped me so much, can I help you? If I went somewhere, do you have enough skill to be able to follow my trail? It’d be nice to let you practice as you’ve let me.” He glanced at the sky for a tick, noting how the sun had moved. “Or, you know, if you wanted to get back to your day I would be happy to help you another time maybe. It might be good for us to aid each other from time to time, no?”

wc: 1092
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

The Eyes Have It

Postby Moritz Craven on November 27th, 2021, 2:06 am

Moritz nodded, glad that if nothing else Zach was finally grasping his logic behind keeping things related to Pathfinding somewhat secretive. He felt it was a bit odd that something he had said finally got through, and realized that in this case Zach was more alarmed and quick to act when it meant someone else might be hurt by the knowledge than when hearing he himself might be. Was that real, or a facade? Or perhaps the person in question was just that important to him such that it mattered to him more than himself?

This left Moritz wondering who this person was, and why they were so important to Zach. From what he had said before their relationship was not clear... All he knew now was that it was a her, so a woman or female, and that they had an indeterminate relationship... This was quite confusing to the kelvic, and he was left unsure what was going on such that the outcome had been what it had been.

Part of his lacking in understanding might have been his age, what with only being a few years old in actual years and appearing as a teen in human form. This meant he had never actually dated or really had any sort of romance at all except for a random priestess in training giving him a kiss at a temple back in Lhavit. Though that had in turn been part of a dare, and had also resulted in Moritz becoming more confused.

The mans rebuttal to his own point, that of the reasons he thought Iraso vision did not heavily strain the user, actually gave another logical point that Moritz himself had not thought of. Pathfinding by its nature was used to... Find paths. Which by its nature was a long task, not something short like shooting a single fireball or such. And based on that... It made sense that it would be less draining, if nothing else by necessity. But also by the nature of the change being limited, what with it only awakening the altered djed in the users eyes rather than physically changing anything.

Not only did Moritz find this to be a very good point but he was also somewhat annoyed at himself for not thinking of it first.

At hearing that Zach had tried and failed to see a ghost the Kelvic was curious, both on why he had looked at one but also how he had failed. The former was likely involving his mother, what with all the spirits around their house. The latter though...

"Why would you not see a ghost? Did you do something wrong when you were attempting it? I mean a ghost does not have a body, but they still have a soul. So why would they have no djed or whatever? A ghost is basically a freed soul without a body to inhabit properly."

Pondering for a moment Moritz thought on this, but could not come to a conclusion.

"No, I don't see how that would work, not seeing one. You must have messed something up or something. They would be harder to see, or at least I guess it would make sense they would be dimmer than a living person, but as long as they exist they have to have something to see. Everything leaves a trace behind."

While he himself was not confident to go off tracking down stray pebbles, he understood that even objects had trails. It did not make sense that such would be limited to only physical objects, particularly when a ghost was non-physical but quite real and still in existence as far as souls and therefore djed went.

Giving the man a chance to work, Moritz watched as he activated slowly his Iraso sight, along with tracing around with his eyes and motion the motion Moritz had made with his bracelet. Knowing what to look for he felt the mans chances were better, at least compared to someone not knowing to look for anything at all. He was unsure also how powerful an item his bracelet was, but he had no doubt it would be stronger than a normal item with no changes within it.

"Possibly cursed. I'm not really sure. Whats the difference between a magic effect on an item, and a curse? Either way, it does not come off ever since I put it on. I cannot remove it from my body. But it does not seem to hurt anything, and it does as I said give that odd effect of feeling in contact. Though I don't really touch people often, so it does not come up much. And as for the bracelet, well of course it looks different than me! I'm a person, not a small object! I mean really..."

Going from the earlier words of the man that had made so much sense, relating to the nature of long term usage of the Iraso vision, and now to pointing out that yes Moritz was indeed different from a bracelet, he was left to wonder again how smart the man was. And he had been having such hopes...

His small lesson and aid to the older but less skilled and knowledgeable Iraso Moritz was surprised a bit when Zach offered him a turn in response.

Looking up at the sky Moritz noticed then were the sun was, and reasoned how long it had been since they had begun talking. And also how long he had been in the Outpost... Awhile. Which meant he had probably better be getting back. That being said... He would not mind some help at a later date when he had the time...

"Well, that would be tricky here, with how much foot traffic the place has... But possibly. But I don't think today would be a good idea, we have been talking for awhile. But perhaps another time? I'm sure I'll be free again later in the season, but I can't keep away from the settlement too long. I might have some work needing doing..."

Thinking back on his own schedule and when he would be busy or not, Moritz thought over things and offered a new date.

"Are you free around say... The morning of the thirty first? We could meet back here and talk further then if that would work for you. Or another day perhaps could be worked out if not that one."

WC: 1,071
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Eyes Have It

Postby Zach Grasswind on November 27th, 2021, 5:20 pm

"Speech"

Zach gave a small shrug as Moritz questioned him about trying to see ghosts. “I mean, it was the first time I had use this Iraso sight since I was given it. Other than the time of initiation that is. It is certainly possible that I made a mistake somehow.” Madeira had told him that ghosts did not have any djed of their own, and he had been inclined to believe her.

However if Moritz had been able to see trails left by ghosts then perhaps she had not been entirely correct. As the boy said, ghosts had souls. Even if their djed was dead, so to speak, it must still be there. Perhaps Zach hadn’t been able to see it clearly when he had looked at Emma because of that – dead djed was harder to spot and he hadn’t really known what he was doing. In any case, he would have to make another visit to the Infinity Manor soon to experiment.

“I’ll try again next time I visit Infinity. I’m sure I probably did something wrong.” Moritz’s logic made sense to him, and of course he was the expert on the Iraso sight out of the pair of them.

Zach hadn’t immediately responded to Moritz’s comment about the bracelet for he had been concentrating on following its trail. Once he had returned his vision to normal though, he smiled and focused his attentions back on the pastel-haired Kelvic.
“I guess there is not really a difference at all at the end of the day. A curse is a magical effect… just not necessarily a good one.”

He gave an almost-chuckle, the sound more of an amused exhalation of air than anything else. “I know that, I was speaking mostly to myself. I wondered before I saw the trail of your bracelet whether your own djed might have influenced it since it is a thing that is attached to you. It would appear not though.”

Zach nodded. He imagined one would need a fair amount of experience in using the Iraso sight to be able to track a person in a place as busy as The Outpost. He wondered again where Moritz was living now, though refrained from asking since he did not want to hold the boy up any longer than he already had. A question for next time, perhaps.

“That sounds like a good plan to me.” Zach pushed himself up from the bench and smiled at Moritz. “I will see you here in the Garden then. Thank you again Moritz, you have taught me much today.”

He would listen if Moritz had anything further to say, and then head back up the stairs out of the Garden, pausing only to take the map from his pocket. He quickly figured that the Hanging Gardens walkway offered him a route back to the Dovecote without having to navigate the Bazaar itself, so he set off along its paths. There was a new excitement to his step now with the understanding that this magic he possessed was not something to fear, but something useful. He resolved to practice as Moritz had suggested in the hope that when they next met, he would be able to use and understand their shared gift better.

wc: 543
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

The Eyes Have It

Postby Moritz Craven on November 28th, 2021, 1:44 pm

Smiling for a moment at Zach, Moritz tried to meet his fellow Iraso's eyes.

"Remember what I said before. An Iraso can explain to an Iraso Pathfinding and such things. But trying to explain it to a non-Iraso would be folly. Its that difference in understanding, in sight. In capability. Just like trying to explain colors to a blind man. And so a Non-Iraso explaining to you how something works... Well just take anything they say with a grain of salt. Just because it works that way with other things, does not mean it applies to us exactly the same."

Thinking back to the house Moritz smiled again, though this one a more... Natural expression. At least compared to his earlier somewhat forced attempt. The young kelvic clearly had good memories of the building, and in some ways felt it was more of a mother than his own blood one.

"That is fine, though I would say practice that outside of Infinity for obvious reasons. Er wait... You did notice Infinity right?"

Pausing Moritz wondered on that fact, if he had not noticed the ghost had he at least noticed the building itself? If not that would be like missing the forest while literally standing inside it.

"You did notice the house right? I mean, its clearly alive, how could you miss it? Even if your standing inside it. Infinity is one big living building."

Moritz expression shifted to one subtly of concern, more for what it would say about his student if he had failed to notice the giant sentient structure pulsing with life he was standing inside of. Moritz was unclear what exactly Infinity was, but he knew one thing for sure. It was clearly alive, not too dissimilar to a person. And with its size, being a building, this was even more noticeable.

When the subject turned back to his bracelet Moritz shrugged, not really knowing the difference or what exactly a curse would be, just having heard someone refer to it as that due to him not being able to take it off. He did not pretend to know enough about magic to understand it, but seeing as it did not particularly effect him in any way negatively he did not overly mind. While he was keen to dig into many topics, something far beyond his ken was not something he would mindlessly but his head against. He did not understand it now, and if he got further info later that helped him understand it he could then try understanding it better at that time. But as he was now his understanding of magic was limited even compared to most people, and so he knew his limits to know when he would be making far too many assumptions to try to work it out.

Logic after all did require some base of knowledge to work off, or else one would end up with wild speculation. His mind oddly enough turned to small bugs in the ground watching rain, and assuming some magical thing was occurring due to their limited perspective. In this regard to magic he felt as that small ground bug.

Frowning in concentration Moritz tried to work out what the man was saying, understanding after a bit that Zach had thought.... Djed might come intertwined or altered simply by being near one another? That did not make sense to a kelvic and so he shook his head.

"No, I don't think that really happens. If something alters it, like say... I burned a piece of clothe... Then that would be one affecting the other. So maybe then as it is a drastic change. But just being in proximity, that does not as far as I know do anything. They you and me color stay the same, and I have not yet seen one change over time. As myself and the bracelet are two distinct if attached things we are still each our own."

At hearing the mans response about them meeting again Moritz nodded, glad that they would be able to further discuss things. He was also interested in seeing how someone else progressed in the ability. He himself only had himself to compare against, and he was certain that he had progressed much more in a short time than this other person had. But then from what he said Zach had not practiced it much, so it seemed reasonable that practice and training was more of a factor than time. The same really as anything else. A sword. Fighting. Cooking. If one spent the time to master something then one would get better.

Magic did not in his experience seem to be any different, which left Moritz wondering on Magic as a concept. In many ways, despite its mysterious nature, it did not seem that different from any other skill or trade. It just perhaps had more risks involved than say cutting some fruit. He could not say this all for sure as he only had one piece of evidence, his Pathfinding... But then, he remembered, he also had Spiritism. With that he had not practiced much and so had not developed much. That then seemed further proof of his theory.

"See you then Zach. And maybe you could bring Naymon next time! Though, its been awhile, I am not sure she would remember me..."

WC: 892
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Previous