[Sanctuary] New Rules For A New Life (Open/Descant)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Dhanya on January 2nd, 2011, 5:50 pm

Dhanya stayed red, looking at the floor and thinking about how close she had felt when bonding with someone and how embarrassing and awful it had been when it hadn't been there anymore. The days after she had destroyed had been the worst in her life.

She didn't want to tell anyone about that. How many times had she tried and failed? Was it one or two; did Jenon count? She wouldn't tell someone she'd just met. In fact, she was probably going to do what she always did and avoid talking about it because it made her uncomfortable. Her reticence to share had been partly responsible for current circumstance but she wasn't ready to give away the behaviour that protected her.

"That's private, miss." She said as the pair walked off to the baths.

She did want to talk to Descant and smiled back at him as he left. It just wasn't the time for it.
Dhanya
Probably attractive in real life.

Words: 136227
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2010, 12:52 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on January 2nd, 2011, 8:18 pm

ImageKavala worried about Dhanya, but the simple fact was the kelvic wouldn't open up to her. The Kelvic didn't trust her enough to even talk to her about any of her problems, and Kavala simply didn't understand why. The Konti had shown her nothing but hospitality and welcome, giving her a place to stay and a chance to rest after the birth of her children. Kavala didn't push her, but she hoped perhaps with Descant's presence in Sanctuary, maybe Dhanya would open up to him or Mao or perhaps one of the others. The Konti could feel her pain, her tangible sense of loss and fear and need for privacy. Kavala respected that. But it was still a bit painful for the Konti that the woman wouldn't trust her.

So Kavala gave her time and offered Dhanya a smile that seemed to say "I'll be here if you do ever need to talk." It wasn't as if Kavala could truly help her. She wasn't looking to do anything but provide shelter for those that needed it. The Konti didn't consider herself bondmate material at all, not as a Nakivak.

So she sighed, looked thoughtful, and got on with Descant's bath. Kavala dug right in, not shy at all to clean out Descant's hair and make sure he was pest free. When the washcloth went unattended too as well as the soap, Kavala took them from his hands and gently set to work on the rest of his body. As she worked she talked to him quietly, her voice gentle. At first she only started out with simple things, like the weather, how well the grass and gardens had grown this year, and then started in on describing the other people that worked and lived at Sanctuary.

"There's a falconer here by the name of Raiha. I'd like you to meet her. She's an Akontak which means shes half konti half akalak. Her skin is blue and her hair is white and she looks so lovely that it'd take your breath away. She doesn't deal with people well, but she loves animals and they find her just as fascinating. She has three bondmates, companions, a bear, eagleowl and a falcon. They come and go though, so I am not sure how strong their kelvic bonds with her are. She's soft spoken but has two personalities like the Akalak." Kavala said gently. "One's very gentle, but the other one is more fierce. You'll need to watch for her. Raiha will make sure she isn't too hard on you, but she does like to fight." The Konti said.

"Aweston is the stable hand and hes free to be anywhere here he wants. He also teaches riding and grooms. "
Kavala said, going on to describe a little more about the stablehand and his mannerisms. She'd washed Descants face, neck and chest up until now, and had started on each arm.

"My sister Akela lives here too. She looks like me but is very handy with a sword. Her humor is over the top and I think you'll really like her good natured attitude. She kinda thinks if things are too big of a problem, her sword can solve it."
Kavala said, her cloth taking care of his back and moving down to wash his stomach and more intimate parts.

"There's a few more kelvics here - Mao and Flick. They come and go as they please sometimes staying here at night but often times staying wherever it is they want too. I like them both, though Mao is a bit of a fighter being a jaguar and Flick can be easily swayed to mischief being a fennec fox." Kavala said thoughtfully. She'd finished the most embarrassing parts as she told Descant more about the two kelvics she knew the most of, leaving Raiha's trio for Raiha to introduce to Descant.

Kavala started on his legs now, which meant she had to bend way over the tub and scrub getting herself as wet as Descant was. She was particularly interested in inspecting his feet, knowing that most slaves weren't given shoes and there might be problems there. As she did so, Kavala spoke about other residents, from the patchwork cat named Patches to her dog and to the one-eyed owl overhead. Finally she spoke about Hatot. "There are Akalak here too. Sorian roams in and roams out at will, and hes half feral but you might run into him from time to time. Just give him a lot of patience and you'll be fine. The other resident that you'll be seeing a lot of is Hatot and Radris. They both occupy the same body, and are my Talvis." Kavala wasn't quite sure how to explain what a Talvis was to Descant, but it still was important that she tell him. Instead she showed him the silver bracelet on her wrist, one that had no sign of a way to remove it or unlock it. In fact, it looked a lot like a symbolized manacle.

"I'm a Nakivak, which means the city of Riverfall owns me and my life until such a time as I pay off my debt. I've made arrangements to pay off my debt - which was my life - to Riverfall via Hatot. I am his Nakivak and he is my Talvis, which means patron. The Akalak have no females of their race, so they must use other races females, such as myself and humans or kelvics, to reproduce. That's why all the female kelvics were being sent here that you were shipped with. They are going to be used for breeding, just like I am. The Akalaks saved my life because I was captured by slavers who intended to sell me to the zith for food or pleasure. They rescued me, and this is how I'm going to repay my debt." Kavala said softly, finishing on trimming one of his toenails and then releasing his leg to work on the other. "Hatot is a friend though, so its not a hard burden to bare. He's a good friend too, so you will see him take liberties and stay with us a lot. It is his right and my obligation and I am glad to fulfill it." Kavala wasn't certain Descant understood, but she hoped he could. She'd already explained the rules of Sanctuary to him... and he knew he was welcome to stay yet could move about as he pleased and be free to roam as he wanted too. All he needed to do was contribute something eventually after he'd rested, healed, and felt stronger inside. Until then, they'd care for him completely.

When she was done, Kavala gave the drain plug a tug, pulled fresh towels out of the shelving, and a bathrobe as well. She asked Descant to stand up, gave him a good final rinse from an urn of stored warm water, as the water drained, and handed him a towel. "Go on, dry yourself off then put this on..." She offered the robe. "I have a feeling your going to want to sleep for hours. Have you had enough to eat?" She asked, not wanting him to sleep hungry. "I'll show you where we keep the food too so if you get hungry between meals you can find something there." Kavala said, leading him to the veranda now, an outside meeting place where most of Sanctuary gathered.

"Is there anything else you want to talk about or ask questions about?"
She asked, curiously.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Descant Shepard on January 4th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Descant sat completely still in the water, he still felt a bit tense in the water. He simply sat and listened to Kavala speak, his eyes closed, concentrating on her words. The word "bondmates" caught his attention. He remembered that Kavala had asked him if he'd ever been bonded before. He wasnt sure what being "bonded" meant, so he didnt answer. From what it sounded like, it meant that you were someones companion or pet, which would mean that you had a friend. Descant didnt have friends, ever, he refused them. In the Pits, friends would eventually become an opponent to you or someone else, you had to kill them or listen to them be killed. Descant wouldnt put himself through such a thing, he didnt accept friendship as part of his short life. So the answer to Kavala's previous question woud have undoubtedly been "no". But, it seemed that now that he wasnt in the Pits anymore, that wasnt a valid excuse. But he wasnt exactly sure if he was ready yet for friends.

He didnt much care for riding horses after his journey to Sanctuary on the back of one. While Aweston seemed ok, he didnt think he'd see much of the person. His ears twitched as Kavala mentioned her sister. Another Glowiing Woman was here? Descant thought Kavala might have been the only one. But the fact that her sister was a warrior intrigued Descant. The area where Kavala focused at this point didnt bother him because he was in deep thought over her words, taking them in as they came.

Mao and Flick, jaguar and fox, they sounded interesting, but mischeif and Descant didnt exactly mix since he never actually caused any.

As She began about Hatot and Radris, he listen carefully to her explanations about her being a Nakivak and how she's repaying Riverfall for rescuing her. He tilted his head, it seemed to him that what she meant was that she was a slave, she was owned by the city. He frowned, she freed him and she cares for his kind that are treated as slaves, yet she is a slave herself. Her motives bacame all too clear just then. He'd been trying to find a reason why he should trust this woman, besides the fact that she freed him. He tried to, and now he'd found it. She was a slave, like he was before he'd met her. And she freed him, he owed his trust and help to her. But, he wasnt sure he coud just trust her so easily.

As she drained the water from the tub and rinsed him off, he stood and began drying himself off with the towel that she'd handed him. He carefully stepped out of the tub and took the robe that she held out for him. He closed it around himself and tied it around the waist and watched carefully, then as she asked him if there was anything he wanted to ask, he asked carefully.

"How do you bond someone to another, and...do you intend to bond me to someone?"
Descant Shepard
Player

Words: 35137
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2010, 7:27 pm
Character sheet

Postby Kavala on January 4th, 2011, 6:49 pm

ImageKavala smiled. "I don't know much about Kelvic Bonds, Descant, but I suspect its entirely your choice. I think it might take years to find just the right person. It might even just take days.

She glanced down at the ground, then back up meeting his eyes with her azure gaze. "When Kelvics are young, very young, people who are not kelvics that own them often gift them to children and they become attached to those children and bond. I'm not sure why, but when a kelvic is young it is easier for them to bond. But when they bond, they don't get as smart and they don't think for themselves like you do. Their wants and needs disappear and they seem to take on the wants and needs of the child. Sometimes they are forcefully taken away from the child and the bond is broken. When they are given to a new child, a new bond is formed. This won't be the case for you. You'll have a choice, I think, because of your age. The older a kelvic is without having bonded - which is why I asked you if you ever have - then the more intelligent they are. You're needs stay your own and you are more of a partner than a slave. If ever there are kelvics born in Sanctuary, I will not allow them to go to children or let them bond until they are at least two or three years old depending on their animal." Kavala said.

"I cannot force you to bond with anyone. I would never do such a thing anyhow, if in fact such a thing was even possible. Now that you are older, you will meet all sorts of people and eventually bond with one of them. It can be a male or female, but if it is a female you will feel protective of her and perhaps even become her mate. If you do not become her mate, I promise you that you will be the best of friends. Becareful though, that she is someone who owns her own life. Riverfall has lots of Nakivaks like me and their owners would not welcome a male kelvic's potential attention. We are ... " She looked for the word, not knowing exactly how things worked in the pits but suspecting as old as Descant was he had also been used for breeding beings that he was a big cat. They bred in the pits a great deal, if the sheer amount of kelvics shipped to Riverfall was any indication.

"Well, we just don't have the choices others do. I will make sure you have a choice, Descant. I am responsible for you now, because I gave the men who did have your papers coin. Now... I have your papers. Come with me?"
Kavala said, leading him in his robe from the bath house and out on to the Veranda. Her saddlebags were thrown over a chair there, and she withdrew a packet of papers from the side pouch.

Indicating he should have a seat, Kavala slipped inside for pen and ink. She carefully opened up the papers when she returned, then signed a few places, tucked them into a leather folder, and handed them to Descant. "Now you have your own papers. This means no one can tell you what to do... including washing, what to eat, whom to bond with, when to fight, or when to breed. You make those decisions. But you are welcome to stay here as long as you want to figure out what those decisions need to be. As long as you follow the rules, you have a home here for as long as I own the place and I plan for it to be a long long time." Kavala said, making sure he held the packet close.

"We need lots of help here, just with security and hunting for game. Also, I could really use the smell of another type of big cat around to stir up the horses and help me teach them not to be afraid of them. Will you please stay, relax, and decide what your going to do with the rest of your life?"
She asked, planning next to show him upstairs so he could sleep as long as he wanted to let the rest of the healing work on that wound he'd suffered.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Descant Shepard on January 6th, 2011, 6:42 pm

Descant nodded and followed her out onto the veranda after she'd explained bonding to him as best as she knew how. He tightened the robe af she walked, holding his arms around himself as he walked, not so much because he was cold but to comfort himself just a bit. When they had come to a chair with her bags thrown over it, he sat in a different one near it, looking out to what he could see from the Veranda. He tilted his head after he heard scritching noises on paper, looking over at Kavala again and hearing about his choices being his own. He took the folder carefully and looked at it for a moment before moving it to his chest so he could keep his arms around himself.

From what she kept saying to him, he was at home and this could be home to him if he so chose it. As long as she lived and owned it, this would be his home. He though for a moment, he;d only known pain and suffering all of his life, but now he didnt have to live that way any longer. This woman had given him a home, he didnt have to leave if he didnt want to. No one could tell him to fight, or decide what to eat for him, or tell him when he could go outside. But, the comforting thing about the whole situation was that he would not ever have to kill another Kelvic if he chose not to. He wouldnt have to be the death of his own kind anymore. He hated the look in their eyes when they took their last breaths. They were tortured, pleading look that would live with him for the rest of his life. Their cries of pain tugged at his very being, he hated to hear them suffer, he always tried to end the fights quickly so that they wouldnt suffer, so he wouldnt suffer as well. He always closed his eyes. He never waved to the crowd or wanted any praise, he would go straight to the guards to take him back to his cage. He couldnt stand being cheered on for the crimes he committed in the Pits.

He looked up at Kavala and nodded when she told him what Sanctuary's needs were. He thought carefully and knew he could fill those needs. He could help protect it and feed it and also wouldnt be too opposed to being around a horse again. They startled him just as much as he startled them. But right now, he was tired, very tired.

"K-kavala...Im...tired. I want to rest now." His eyes beginning to close as he said so.
Descant Shepard
Player

Words: 35137
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2010, 7:27 pm
Character sheet

Postby Kavala on January 12th, 2011, 5:26 pm

ImageKavala nodded. She reached out, not being able to help herself, and touched his cheek. The Konti stroked it delicately and smiled. "Descant, I know you can't believe me yet and that's alright. But you are safe here. When you are hungry, there's food to eat. When you wish to work, there's work to be done, and when you are tired, please feel free to rest. Go upstairs. I've shown you the room where we all take our rest. Find someplace within it that comforts you and sleep. You may take any spot you'd like. Sleep as long as you'd like. You are safe and welcome. And when you wake up, I'll have something ready for you to eat. Alright? Please take a day or two and just relax, do nothing, heal up from both the wound and the trip. At the end of the week when I redo the duty roster, I'll come talk to you about what chores you'd like to help out with around here. I'm still hoping you'll agree to help hunt for us. Fresh meat is always rare and a welcome addition." Kavala said softly, then smiled.

"Oh, and when I start working the young horses in about six days, I'd hope you'd help me out by using your animal form around them so I can get them over being skittish of big cats if at all possible. Other than that, rest, relax, and hopefully find a little peace. You deserve it." Kavala said, smiling and then gently turning him around and giving him a small shove towards where the stairs were that lead to the actual living quarters for the Sanctuarians.

"Oh and Descant? Don't wake up hungry and go find yourself some of my chickens. I only mention it because its happened before. We'll have some fresh meat, I promise." She added then sent him on his way with a smile. Kavala had high hopes he'd recover... that he'd be okay. She kept her fingers crossed and watched him head towards the stairs.

Everyone deserved a chance at a happy life. Hopefully she could provide him the time he needed to rest, relax, and perhaps find the perfect bondmate - one who wouldn't treat him like a slave.

NoteI think this is in the bag... I'll turn it in for XP

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Baku on January 23rd, 2011, 5:44 am

Thou has written, and thou has completed, so I award thee the following....

Kavala: +1 Riding, +3 Leadership, +1 Medicine, +4 Rhetoric, +1 Interrogation, +2 Massage, +1 Grooming, +1 Teaching, +3 Observation

Lore: Expectations of Work, Bringing a New Arrival to Sanctuary, Meeting Descant, Reassuring Descant, Cleaning a Wound Before Healing, Explaining the Rules, Introducing Dhanya to Descant and Descant to Dhanya, Inquiring About Dscant’s Travel and Former Life, Importance of the Bond and Effects on the Kelvic Psyche, Preparing a Bath, Cleaning a Kelvic, Frustration Over Dhyna’s Closed off Nature, Bathing Descant Thoroughly, Informing the Other Sanctuary Inhabitants, Offering Hospitality With a Home, Explaining Bonding, Granting Freedom, Offering a Home in Exchange for Help,

Descant: +1 Riding, +4 Observation, +3 Rhetoric, +1 Investigation,

Lore: The Sanctuary, Meeting Kavala, Optimism of New Home, Fear of Failure, The Rules of Sanctuary, Feeling Reserved to Touch, The Story of Scars, Dhyna’s Son and Daughter, Complimenting Children, Explaining Injuries and the Pit, What’s Bonding?, Taking Your Fist Bath, Finding Bath Preparations Odd, Finding Someone Bathing Him Odder, Raiha, Aweston, Akela, Mao, Flick, Sorian, Hatot, Nakivaks, Talvas, Finding Trust in Common Traits, Curiosity of Bonding, The Dangers of Bonding With Nakivaks, Difficult Decisions, Wanting to Sleep on it

Dhanya: +1 Singing, +1 Investigation, +2 Observation, +2 Rhetoric,

Lore: Raising Kids, Lullabies, Satiating Curiosity, The Urge to Be With Other Kelvics, Leering Curiously at Descant, Amazed by Descant Pit Survival, Boundaries for Kelvics, Discomfort Over Bonding, Desire to Speak with Descant More,

Additional Notes: A nice start to what could be a good addition to Sanctuary. I look forward to seeing how things develop.

~Not all dreams, are meant to be had.

Baku
Dream Eater

Words: 151190
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2010, 4:28 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous