Consulting Time's Tapestry [Dev'Ania]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Alric Lysane on December 18th, 2021, 6:40 pm

34th Winter – The Outpost – Courtyard Cantina

He had sent a small letter to Zach, he had had no idea where he specifically lived beyond Lhavit and so had entrusted a messenger already taking missives to take it to the city and see if it could make its way to the man. He had thought much upon their conversation and his words, his offers and in particular the fact that his love was a fortune teller. He had been as polite as he could with the requested audience, he didn't know Dev'Ania's customs, and the fact that he would happily reimburse for her troubles.

That was some days agon and now, on the appointed day he sat in the appointed place, the Courtyard Cantina where it had all truly begun with Tazrae. He liked the synchronicity of it, seeking possible answers to the future where his current past had begun, and his old past had started to be revealed. He was starting to think that this Vas was right, their paths were entwined – at least for now. He didn’t know how long that prediction was supposed to be, but he hoped it was a long time. Still he had taken in the advice about preparing and he figured that there was no better preparation than possibly knowing the future.

He had ordered some food, a decent selection should she choose to arrive, and some wine to wash it down with. As he waited he watched people pass by, trying to read their walks and listen in on their chatter. Nothing particularly noteworthy was discovered though it was gratifying that he heard no rumours of Nymkarta or anyone asking after one. Instead it seemed to be all business, talks about price and negotiation, good quality vendors recommended and so on. He was not sure how this predicting was supposed to go but either way he would do as he told Taz that he believed – forge his own destiny. He would not rely upon it like a crutch.

But any information, no matter what it is or where it comes from, provides a framework. Even if the framework is lies you can still tell what they want you to know and think from there he mused to himself as he picked at the food.

No doubt he would be laughed at when he mentioned it at their next meeting. He was starting to feel, deep down, that there would be some sort of confrontation. He was far from ready for it, but he planned on being as soon as he could be. At that point he was not sure what he would do, whether he would go it alone or take his allies. He suspected that it would be alone, no one else was in Sunberth and everyone he knew that might be of help were half a world away. No, despite the grimness of the thoughts and his desire not to have it so it felt more and more like he would be standing alone in physicality, if not in the spirit.

He hoped that that would change but it didn’t seem a likely prediction even he could make, and he knew more than the fortune teller would.

~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Dev'Ania on January 18th, 2022, 2:55 am

34th of Winter, 521 AV

The newly famed Dovecote of Lhavit towered above the konti as she stood outside its grand door and admired it. Stepping into the other side of the door, she was greeted by the caretakers of the tower, along with the flapping of bird wings above as they entered and exited the dovecote. She looked around in awe as the birds flew around overhead.

The konti’s gaze was snatched by the tower’s caretaker - her eyes being immediately pulled towards the white wings that protruded from her head. Dev was fascinated by the sight and found it hard to look away, but out of respect, she diverted her eyes to the woman’s and smiled warmly.

“Ah-hello. I…I was just looking for the way to the Outpost? My partner said it was through this door…” Dev’s voice trailed off as she waited for the woman to respond. The woman simply pointed back at the door and nodded.

“Oh… okay.” As odd as it was, Dev followed the gesture and turned back to the door she had just come through.

Today, Dev’Ania was visiting The Outpost for the first time. After receiving a letter, Zach had told her about a friend he had met while at the Outpost, and how he was requesting her fortune-telling services. Dev was very happy to help, as any friend of Zach’s was a friend of hers as well, now. Not to mention, this would be a great opportunity to reach more potential customers in different places.

Walking back through the tower’s door, she was met with the refreshing warmth of The Outpost. She had dressed very lightly as advised by Zach, and thankfully so. For a moment, she stood and took in the warmth that enveloped her, trying to adjust to the desert climate that she was not familiar with. The Outpost was truly something to marvel at. People scurried around mingling and trading rare goods from around Mizahar. Based on just appearances, there seemed to be so many people of different backgrounds and cultures. It was no doubt more diverse than Lhavit.

With the help of the letter and further directions from Zach, Dev was able to find her way to where she was to meet Zach’s friend - the Courtyard Cantina. Standing at the entrance of the cantina, Dev surveyed over the crowded courtyard to search for the man she was to meet, until she spotted him, sitting at a table full of food. She walked over with a warm smile on her face and spoke softly before the man.

“Alric, is it?”
Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Words: 137250
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2018, 11:41 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Alric Lysane on January 19th, 2022, 6:00 pm

He wasn’t kept waiting an overly long time before the one he had been awaiting arrived. Not that it would have mattered at any rate, he was quite relaxed as he picked at various foodstuffs sparingly, watching the crowds come and go. People were fascinating, though when Dev’Ania arrived their fasciation was replaced with hers. He saw her before she spied him, after all he was but one face amongst many. It would be impossible to miss a delicate, delightful Konti amidst the crowd of more ‘average; Outpost visitors. She was quite pretty, though a little too slender for his own tastes. Still, he could see what Zach had seen in her, before getting to know her more deeply of course.

Dressed lightly, her blue scales shimmering ad shining as she moved in the light, she had a determined gaze that was good to see. When she had finally spied him, he leaned back into his chair, not for the first time wondering whether his fate was something he – or anyone – would really wish to read. Still, the die was cast and she greeted him warmly. He smiled in return and gestured to the seat opposite him when she was ready for it.

“Yes, for my sins, which I am sure are many,” he tried, trying to humour as a way of breaking any awkwardness, “Zach is indeed a lucky man. He spoke very warmly of you in our meeting, he cares for you deeply. Though I’m sure you know that already. Please, eat whatever you like, I can’t finish it all without getting a bit to snug for my belt after all”

He moved a few of the plates around, making a bit of space upon the table in front of her. He wasn’t expecting her to get straight down to her reading, however she did it, but still he wouldn’t be called rude towards the partner of a friend. Leaning back once more he studied her for a few moments, wondering how it was that someone became a fortune teller. It was almost encoded in universal myth that her people were magical, but his scepticism ran deep. He did not doubt her skills, he just assumed his destiny was not so important that it would be particularly readable – at least that was what he had thought not too long ago.

“A pleasure Dev’Ania,” he said once she seemed to have settled herself to her liking, “I was wondering with Zach, speaking of my hunting friend, how it was someone actually became a teller of fortunes? Is it something anyone can learn, or is it sort of…born in?” he asked.

He was curious, though he also wanted to see what she would say. No doubt she was used to such questions, likely received them with every reading she performed, but he had found over the years that you could tell a lot about someone, and their skills, by asking seemingly stupid questions. Not to mention the fact that whatever glimpses of the future he might be given this day, he had to be reasonably sure that they were viable as predictions. He had much to fear, many things to face and as always he suspected the forewarned would be forearmed.

“I don’t suppose that I could pull out cards, or runes, and so on…and it just works for me, no?” he smiled softly.

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Dev'Ania on February 6th, 2022, 3:40 am

With confirmation that it was him, Dev’Ania smiled and took a seat across from Alric. “Yes, Zach is a very caring man, and thank you so much. The food looks delicious.” Her eyes surveyed the selection of food in front of her. The dry air had made her quite parched and hungry, so she was very pleased that Alric had gotten them both food. As she took a sip of the wine he had ordered, she chuckled lightly at the joke he had made.
“It is all my pleasure, Alric,” she smiled. The konti nodded her head softly as she listened to Alric’s question. It was a question she had gotten often in her line of work. How do you become a fortune-teller? Does it make you magical? By now, she had answered it so many times, she had come up with the perfect answer. “Anyone can become a fortune-teller. You don’t have to be born with a gift for fortune-telling, although some are. Konti’s such as I, who are born with our goddess, Avalis’ gnosis have the ability of divination, which draws us to being keen fortune-tellers. But the magic lies in the teller’s intent. When I am giving a card reading to someone, the magic lies in the cards and it is my intent that tunes in with the energy of the cards, and the energy of the person I am reading…”

Dev digressed as she felt the excitement in her growing. She could talk about her passion for bells and bells if she was given the chance. She took a breath before finishing her thought, “If your intent is honest, and you truly wish for an accurate prediction, that is what you will receive. It is, of course, normal for there to be doubts and hesitation when receiving a reading, but your intent…deep down…is what matters most.”

The konti sipped more of the wine before pushing it to the side. She dug through her bag and pulled out her deck of cards, placing them on a cleared spot before her and making sure to not dirty them at all. She wasn’t sure as to what type of reading would be best for her new client, yet, but she made sure to bring options for any situation. Most likely, her cards would be the best option.

“So tell me, Alric… what is it, truly, that you wish to understand? We can do a tarot reading, runestones, or I can even read your tea leaves if the cantina happens to have any. It just might be a tad hot out for tea,” she giggled. “I’m here to answer the questions you have. To the best of my ability.”
Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Words: 137250
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2018, 11:41 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Alric Lysane on February 22nd, 2022, 6:26 am

He listened with some sense of fascination as she described how the concept of fortune telling worked, teasing out the details and stressing repeatedly upon how it was the intent that mattered, rather than any inherent magical ability. Though the mention of Avalis intrigued him, he had not heard of them before, he turned the other ideas around inside his mind first. He wondered, idly, whether it meant that it wasn’t the individual who was doing the reading but the divine stepping in to do so, on some level, without seeming to do so by manifesting themselves physically.

Is it a way of helping their followers in a sort of passive way? Or…is it even conscious, perhaps, or just a by-product of their nature? Are they simply so powerful that they cause these fortune telling ripples in the fabric of reality? he mused to himself, for some reason the concept of the world behind the world whilst using Auristics springing into his mind.

“It is interesting that you say anyone can be one, almost as if you downplay your abilities by saying that – assuming I was patient enough – that I could learn myself. I’m not sure that I’d be wise enough to do so, I’d wager I’m better off listening to yourself,” he said with a portion of warm amusement, “but it seems like it comes down to the one being read then, in some way. I suppose it can be scary, knowing the future. Who would want to know that they son may die, for example? How could they go on knowing that? It must be quite the burden for you, at times”

Leaning back, he considered that, whether he truly wanted to now things that may lay in wait for him. Arguably he already knew some of it, assuming the Vision Water had been telling the truth. He didn’t know much about predictions but he did know that there were probably so many potential futures that getting the right one might be problematic. The Gods suggested that destiny existed, that everything was predetermined, but he wasn’t sure that he agreed with that idea fully. It violated free will to the extent that it made choices largely meaningless. It would mean that the Valterrian, as well as the suffering after, was unavoidable. That his own life had been unavoidable, and that his fate, whatever that may be, was also unavoidable. He refused to accept that, he’d tear the entire weave of existence apart before giving in to that conclusion.

“I have never heard of Avalis before, from what you say I assume they are the patron Goddess of the Konti? And their domain being the future…or divination, I suppose? I would imagine that that would mean there are many famous seers amongst your people. Perhaps you will join them, no? Your name shall go down in history for your skills” he said, no intent to mockery in his voice.

Truthfully, he wondered how much the stories and legends that passed down through the ages were accurate. He had discussed that with Taz earlier in the season, his own situation apparently more dramatic than the average man’s. He doubted he’d be remembered at all, but even if he were he suspected they’d not get it right. A small smile slipped across his lips at the idea, wondering if he’d tell them it was Dev’Ania who told him his fate, that it was her advice that helped him make the right choices. Concepts such as history, fate and sacrifice had weighed upon his mind lately.

“We could always do all of them, I have grown used to the heat of the Outpost, if it means that I am armed with knowledge then I’m willing to marshal the great sacrifice of tea drinking,” he said with a grin, “but you are the expert. We can start with whichever you feel most drawn to, all I know is that I want to know what the future holds. My situation is…complicated. I won’t ask things like ‘how long will I live?’ but I would like to know whether I will be found, whether what I fear most will come to pass and whether there is a chance of making it out the other side. I’m not sure how much detail you require, I can provide some if needed, though it sounds like you just need me to be sincere…which I am”

He left it at that for now, he didn’t really want to risk putting her into any danger at all, not that he thought she would be, but he had learned to be cautious given what forces were at work. Taz had made him promise to try to see a future beyond the trials that faced him but he found it hard to grasp, he was hoping that this telling might provide a sliver of hope, a pathway – or series of pathways – that led him through the storms and out the other end, so long as he made the right choices, he assumed. Mostly, though, he wanted to know whether the Vision Waters had been telling the truth – that he would come to Syka, somehow, and that it would end there – one way or another.

“I sense that I have many paths open to me, I’d like you to help guide me to the right ones, so that I might finish what has been started,” he said, watching her to see how she would react, “I am being sought, by someone not very nice, and the Vision Waters here showed me a vision…it would be useful to see if it were a true vision, or not. Mostly, though, it would be nice to know if I will succeed, in the end, but things have never been that simple for me. It would be a surprise if I were given all the answers in a neat package, no?” he said with a chuckle.

He wondered whether he was like her usual customers, what questions they asked her and whether they were interested in concepts like fat – or whether they were more about whether someone loved them, that they would have children or their business would be successful. Deep down, he wasn’t sure whether she’d be able to give him answers, but he was willing to try.

Words: 1,052

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes