Solo The Eagles are Coming

My first Wind Eagle journey

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

The Eagles are Coming

Postby Shiress on April 18th, 2022, 6:08 pm

65th Spring 522
Syka to Riverfall

So, I have decided to keep a journal of my very first journey on a Wind Eagle. I wish my destination wasn't Sunberth. I always told myself and anyone else who would listen that I would never go back to that place, but I guess I should have added -without good reason- on to the end. As it turns out, I do have a good reason, and in my heart, I am more than willing to return to Sunberth, even if my mind hasn't completely gotten on board with the idea.

I can't believe that the 65th is here already. After I talked to Mathias, I stayed the night out on his deck by myself, and I have to say, I slept like a rock. I would probably still be asleep if it hadn't been for Shade showing up at sunrise with a grumpy, dirty-faced Ian, demanding that I "take this insatiably curious and into everything kid back!"

I admit, I laughed hard, and Shade gave me a dirty look, then I laughed even harder.

Ian and I stayed at Mathias's for the next few nights, and that man was so good with Ian. He took him fishing and taught him how to catch grabs. Do you know what was odd, though? Ian's monkey remained in his backpack the entire time. I don't know if Mathias ever found out about Eenie. He never mentioned it, if he did. One evening, after a fishing trip, Ian came back talking about meeting a god! Gah, toddlers and their imagination.

Needless to say, I got plenty of rest and ate better, and got some strength back, but it was still hard to eat because I kept imagining all the things that were in my food before. Still, though, my appetite was a lot better.

Taz came over one day (I wrote it all down so I would remember), and we went fishing. She gave me a letter to give Alric. She and shade will watch all the orphans until I get back. I hope he won't mind that I volunteered him. I told Taz to teach Shade how to give a kid a bath!

Shade will be watching after Ian while I'm gone. I know he won't let anything happen to him, the monkey won't either, but I swear to all the gods, if my child knows how to throw a dagger when I get back, I'm going to skin that monk! Petch, I miss Ian already. I hope he knows why mommy had to leave. I tried to explain it to him, but he was too interested in a bug that had crawled through the window to listen.

I told Ian goodbye this morning, took him over to Shade's room, dropped him off, kissed and hugged him, and told him I loved him forever and ever. I hugged Shade, too, and kissed him right on the mouth! He went stiff as a board, and I think I saw him wiping his mouth when I was walking out. Bastard.

When I got to the place where the Wind Eagles were waiting, I almost turned right back around and went straight back to my room. I have never in my life seen such giant birds. From what I could tell, there were five of them, all about the same size. GIGANTIC!! They were different colors, though, some light, some darker. The one that I rode on had a light greyish brown head and wings and a white body. His name was Lenorov. I called him Lenny cause I couldn't pronounce it right, but when I thought he gave me a mean look, I started calling him Len.

Len's captain, or pilot, whatever you call it, was Darrin, and that man was such a fun guy to talk to! He was about my age, with strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes. He made me feel so much better when it came time to climb up on Len. Like, I literally had to climb a rope later up to the saddle, which, oddly enough, looked a whole lot like a horse's saddle for two except in GIGANTIC size. Took a little while for Darrin (bonded! That's what Darrin is to Lenorov!) to calm me down when I found out there wasn't anything but faith that would tie me into that saddle, too. After that, Darrin told me, "if you want to be able to ever brush out your hair again, you better put all that up in a tail." So, as I waited for us to leave, I pulled my long hair over a shoulder and braided it.

Wow, when we did leave!

Ok, how am I going to explain this?

So, I was expecting the Wind Eagles to take a running leap into the air (you know, run a few steps and then take off), but they didn't. A guy somewhere up ahead of us yelled something, and all at once, all the eagles started flapping their wings, and I let out a loud shriek that had Darrin jiggling a finger in his ear. We just kind of lifted up and soared forward, and we gradually got higher and higher. The eagles stopped flapping their wings at some point and held them straight out and just kind of floated through the air. I looked over the side of the saddle but could only see feathers, so my view wasn't all that great, but off to both sides, and ahead I could see green mountains, trees, and an occasional river.

I stopped looking the second time I threw up.

I need to remember to thank Darrin for giving me that empty sack.

I think I dozed off because Darrin slapping my arm startled me. When I looked up, he pointed off to the side, and when I followed his finger, I saw at least six or seven Zith flying a good bit lower than we were. As I watched, a few of them flipped over and started flying on their backs, glaring at us.

I threw up again.

It took two bells to get from Syka to Riverfall, and if I thought Lenorov taking off was frightening, his landing was the making of Rhysol! We basically FELL out of the sky! We were at a good height, soaring away, and all of a sudden, I heard a horn blast and looked up just in time to see Lenorov tuck in his wings and point his nose down toward the ground. The scream I let out would have deafened Darrin if the wind's ungodly roaring had not stolen my voice.

Despite the torment, we landed rather gracefully, but Darrin had to carry me like a baby down off Lenorov and set me on my feet. When I tried to walk, my rear end hurt so bad that I looked like I had a stick up my arse. I bet Darrin is still laughing.

They gave me a charming room somewhere in a place that I don't think is an inn. Much nicer. I rested for a little while, then one of the female bonded people (Endal?) Knocked on my door, Stuck her red, fiery head in my room, and asked if I wanted to go out with her. I told her no, and she gave me a funny look and asked if I knew where I was. I told her that yes, I knew we were in Riverfall. She gave me an 'aaaand' look, but I had no idea, so I stared at her. Then she said, "home of the Akalaks?" and I was up and off my bed so fast you'd have thought one of those Ziths from earlier had just climbed through the window of my room.

I'll have to write about it in tomorrow's entry cause I'm supposed to meet her at the 13th bell, and that's in like five chimes.

So, until tomorrow!

Words - 1,355

Last edited by Shiress on April 19th, 2022, 2:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Eagles are Coming

Postby Shiress on April 18th, 2022, 8:23 pm

66th, 67th, 68th, 69th Spring 522
Riverfall to Kenash

I met Dani downstairs (that was the Endal that had come to take me out), and we ended up at a place called The Rat Hole -don't ask- and the instant I set foot in that place, I got such a bad feeling in my gut that we left not long after our first shot whiskey. Which, let me tell you, does not sit well on an empty stomach. Or, maybe that was just that tavern.

Either way, we left and went to a place called Kulkukan's and walked directly into a sea of blue, deeper blue, and such a deep blue that a few looked black, but every single male, assure body was tall, hard, toned, and so very nice to look at. We sat at a table close to the back and ordered drinks, an ale for her, and water for me. Before long, Dani had waved over a fellow Endal to our table who turned out to be Darrin and with him were two of the biggest Akalak in the tavern, Riwik, and Bilik, whom I affectionately referred to as Wik and Lik. The Akalaks were cousins and had so much family drama it made my head spin.

We ended up spending several bells there talking to Darrin and the Akalaks, and no one ever said a word about my choice of water to drink. The servers soon brought out some leftover goodies from a festival called Sweetday. The other four picked their sweet, but I politely declined. No maggots or fleyed skin for me, thanks. I sure do miss Mathias's.

The cousins talked a lot about Riverfall and its culture and shared some stories. We learned about The Wave Horse, which basically is a wave in the shape of a horse that appears on the nights of a full moon and saves people from drowning. When everyone started chatting about wanting to order supper, I made a quiet excuse to Dani that I really needed to go back to my room and rest and left quietly.

We stopped by a couple of shops. I ended up buying Ian five little craved horses. He's going to love them! I bought Shade a gift, too, for keeping Ian. I remembered him mentioning that he didn't have his jewel crafters supplies with him in Syka, so I spent way too much coin and bought him a Jewelcrafter's kit and some loose gems. The petcher better like them!

Made it back to my room within a half bell. Dani left me at the door, and I spent the remainder of the evening alone. I did manage to eat an apple, though.

Found out early the next day that we will be staying another night. I don't think I'll be going out this evening, though.

The following day I went to the area where I was to meet up with Darrin and Lenorov. The take-off was a lot like when we left Syka, but the land below us was a lot different. Our flight pattern, or so Darrin called it, was different, too. When we flew from Syka the day before, I couldn't see any other Eagles or their riders around us. Today, we were near the back with the other four Wind Eagles ahead, with one on each side of us, flying slightly higher than we were, and two out front, flying together but a little higher than the rest. It was the first time that I noticed the Eagles all had items that looked like giant crates clutched in their talons.

The mountains and hills gradually flattened out into nothing but flatland and trees during the flight, and the longer we flew, the wetter the ground became. It took longer to get to Kenash, almost five bells. I had never been so happy to fall from the sky as I was when we finally fell into Kenash.

The city was one great big swamp with fields, which were worked by slaves. Needless to say, for the two days we stayed in Kenash, I stayed in the small room I was given and didn't come out, despite Dani's attempt to lure me out to see some bard. Darrin tried, too, but I yelled through the door that I wasn't feeling well. It wasn't a lie; my heart hurt for those enslaved, and so did the insides of my thighs and my bottom. Turns out, saddle burn is a thing for riding Eagles, too.

Meals were left by the door with a knock. I ate what I could, which ended up not being near enough that I should have eaten for the two days we were there. The ghost showed back up last night and I imagine it will again tonight. Have I mentioned how much I miss Mathias'splace?

Well, I'm going to try and sleep before darkness comes, don't feel much like writing anything else.

Until tomorrow.

Ledger5 carved animals - 2 GM
Loose gems - 25 GM
Total: 27 GM

Words - 848

Last edited by Shiress on April 19th, 2022, 5:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Eagles are Coming

Postby Shiress on April 19th, 2022, 12:18 am

70th, 71st, 72nd, 73rd, and 74th Day Spring 522
Kenash to Syliras

It's early morning, and we are about to fly out of Kenash, and I've never been more grateful to leave a place. I wish one day slavery could be banned in all cities. The skies have been clear so far on my journey, but I think the air is getting cooler. I'll have to buy myself a thick coat or something in Sylras.

That flight was the longest yet. Took us seven bells to get here, and I'm tempted to ask Darrin if he would rub a salve on my raw ass. I never knew I wiggled so much in a saddle, but I have definitely worked some sores into my skin. We've been in the city for almost a bell, and I was told we would stay for three days here. They are adding another Wind Eagle to our group. This one is much bigger than the others and capable of carrying two passengers, instead of only one. I guess this is for Alric and Lysandra so they can ride together.

I'm sitting at The Rearing Stallion, where I used to be a barmaid. I thought that coming back here would be like coming home, but I think I'm just too tired to care. I ordered myself some milk to try and fill my belly up, and I won't share what it looked like or what it tasted like going down. I'll just say there was far, far less fun had than the last time I tasted similar. I can only pray it was at least human.

Seems the closer to Sunberth I get, the ghost that has haunted me is coming awake more and more. What will he be like when I get there???

I'm about to go to Travelers Row, where I used to live. I'm hoping someone might tell me if my cat, Shadow, is still around. I'd love to see him. I might even take him with me if I can manage it. So far, I haven't seen anyone I recognize. I'm kind of glad, though. I look like shyke. Again.
--------------------------------------------
He's here! I found Shadow!

He's definitely not a kitten anymore, and he knew me because when I picked him up, he rubbed his head against my chin and purred just like he used to. When I tried to put him down, he nearly crawled up my leg for me to pick him up again. It's so good to see him. I've missed him so much.

The lady at the desk had been keeping him, and she said my old apartment is empty. I might stay there tonight and cuddle with Shadow.

------------------------------------------------
It's midday on the 69th, and I haven't left my room since getting here yesterday evening. Jordan's ghost was rather violent and got me good last night. I think I may have a broken rib and might go see a healer later.

Nope. Can't see a healer. Too expensive.

I went through the dovecote to The Outpost, and what a colossal mistake that was! Evidently, it was more of a walk than I had thought.

Beth at The Redynn helped me wrap my ribs and gave me a vile of herbs for pain. I told her I had fallen down some stairs. She asked me where and I told her The Stone Gardens. It wasn't until I left that I remembered the Stone Garden doesn't have any stairs, and Syka doesn't have a stone garden. I'm so tired.

------------------------------------------------
Shadow follows me everywhere and meows so loud when I look at him. I think he missed me, too. And, oh yeah, animals can go through the dovecote, too!

-------------------------------------------------
I sneaked into The Temple of All Gods with Shadow last and spent the night. I thought maybe one of the "All Gods" would keep me safe from the curse. They didn't. I did eat some this morning. I was so hungry that the slivers of hairy, bloody skin in my stew didn't even deter me from getting at least a few bites in. Shadow happily finished the rest for me.

Dani and Darrin came into The Rearing Stallion and joined me for supper. I really think they are a couple but won't admit it. I know heart eyes when I see them. I told them the same story that I told Beth, but evidently, they knew about Syka and the curses.

So, I told them about Jordan's ghost. Dani insisted on spending the night with me at my old apartment, so I let her. She and Shadow love each other, and I promised to let them visit when she comes to Syka.

Dani held me at some point during the night, and I woke up to her swearing and cursing Elijah Jordan. When I thought about it later, it made me smile. I also learned some new swear words to go along with the new whip marks on my back.

-----------------------------------------------------
We fly out of Syliras for Sunberth in two days, and I have never been more scared in my life. I've also never been more determined. Every day and night that Jordan's apparition hurts me, I know that there's a city full of people having to deal day and night with their own curses. I will make it to Alric if it kills me to do it, and I swear Jordan is getting scared, too, because he's doing his damndest to do just that to keep me from Sunberth. Does the curse know what I'm doing? Is it getting worse the closer to Alric I get? I don't know, but I do know that I would do anything in this world just to be able to kill my slavemaster again.

Words - 1008

Last edited by Shiress on April 19th, 2022, 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Eagles are Coming

Postby Shiress on April 19th, 2022, 2:30 am

75th Spring 522
Syliras to Sunberth

Dani spent the night with Shadow and me again last night. I'm not sure why, but I don't remember most of it. I woke up with my head resting on Dani's lap with her slender arms around my shoulders, and I think I was more tired than when I went to sleep. Dani had blood on her shirt, but she said that it was a nosebleed, and she gets them a lot. I think she was lying, and I don't know why.

I managed to eat a little, and I think it was because Dani insisted on feeding me with my eyes closed. I wonder if Jordan can only do whatever he does to my food if I'm the one holding the spoon. I'll try to remember and ask...I guess no one really knows, do they? I'll get Dani to try and do it again when we land in Sunberth. Maybe I can get Lysandra to help me if it does.

Never thought I would be asking someone to feed me, but I guess if you get hungry enough, you'll do just about anything.

We fly in about half a bell, and, gods be damned, it's raining. It's a cold rain, too. All the Endals have these weird-looking leather coats on with hoods and big huge things with windows over their eyes that are supposed to keep the rain off them. They offered me a leather "raincoat" as one of them called it and a pair of..."goggles". I took the coat and shook my head at the goggles.

Too bad no one ever taught me how to keep a hood on my head while flying through the air at high speeds.

The trip to Sunberth will take about seven bells, like our last flight. We were little ways into our flight when Darrin sounded a horn, and we slowed down. He yelled something about having to take Lenorov down to check his talons or something. As long as his wings were okay, I wasn't going to panic.

We landed with two others while the rest of the Wind Eagles circled above us.

Come to find out, one of Len's legs was paining him, and he was about to lose the load in his talon. I have no idea how Darrin knew, but the way he crooned over his bird was so sweet. That's where we are now, in the middle of a vast forest in a clearing somewhere outside Syliras. I wonder if it's the same forest I came through once.

I'm soaked to the bone and so cold I'm sure my lips are blue.

Dani and I tried the trick with her feeding me, and it didn't work. She gave me some salty crackers, and the tick I bit down on one. It was a juicy, salty eyeball. I could taste it, see it in my mind, and, for all I was concerned, it was an eyeball. I threw up all over her leg. I drank some water, then threw that up all over one of Lenorov's long talons. He shook it like a cat and made me smile, and I swear he did it on purpose just to get that reaction from me.

I don't think my throwing up was from the eyeball. Or, at least, not only because of it. I'm pretty sure I have a fever. Being soaked isn't helping, I'm sure. No wonder I was so cold.

Jordan's asshole ghost keeps telling me that I'm not going to make it back to Syka and that the Founders have already put Ian with the orphans and that he's crying for me. He's telling me I'm weak and a shyke mother and that Ian likes another woman better than he does me. I know it's a lie, but gods, just the thought hurts.

I'm not letting him rile me. I'm not going down under his whippings and tortures anymore. I'll make it to Alric if I have to petching crawl to his feet. I'm so determined to end these curses that I think my damned shadow would continue on without me at this point. I'm going to make it. I'm going to look that man in the face, and I'm going to tell him that we need him. That Syka needs him, and so does Tazrae. I had to look at the letter to remember her name. Poor girl.

Well, Darrin just said they have Len's load divided and transferred to the other eagles, and I have to get back in the saddle again. The next time I write here, my life will have come full circle.

I just hope I can escape out of Sunberth alive for a second time.

My son needs me and so does Syka.

Words - 825

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)