Solo [Holiday Challenge]A Beachside Bout I

Moritz has an encounter on a beach which leads to a bout...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

[Holiday Challenge]A Beachside Bout I

Postby Moritz Craven on December 24th, 2021, 8:37 pm

25 Winter 521

Letting out a sigh, Moritz let his bare feet pad softly across the sand. He was done with work for the day, and the sun was setting. Due to this the heat on the sounds was decreasing and did not radiate burning on contact like earlier in the day.

Once he had finished with work he had dropped off his things at home, and headed for a walk on the beach in nothing but his silk buttoned suit. In the morning he tended to go for runs, something he tried to do consistently so long as time allowed, and in the afternoons or nights he would go for a walk on the beach while stating clear of the water. Even then there were a fair number of people about and still working, and so he was not entirely alone. He could see someone a ways away on the docks doing something. He could see someone running on the beach as he did in the morning. With the various people around he felt relatively safe, and so felt comfortable enough to unwind and let his mind wander.

It was as he turned to head back in the other direction, keeping to the small patch of beach where people where in close proximity, that he noticed something. It took him a few moments to realize what it was, and he had moved several paces back in the other direction before he realized... There was a man on the beach. Which in and of itself was not odd. Except... Except he was fairly certain the man had not been there a moment ago, and unless he had sprinted in from some direction it did not make sense that he would be there...

Moving closer slowly Moritz shifted his gaze, realizing as he drew nearer that the person was quite large. Even large than Moritz by a fair bit, and also not hued as a human which left the Kelvic assuming the man was not human. Though what he was Moritz was less sure, not knowing many of the groups that considered Syka home. He had only recently met several of the scale bodied people, and now he had met one that was... Blue? Red? Purple? Moritz was not the best with colors, and in the light of the setting sun it was even harder for the Kelvic to discern subtle hues.

Moritz continued to ponder this as he neared the man, slowly heading back in the direction such that the two would eventually meet. As Moritz neared the man oddly enough waved at Moritz, almost as if he had been expecting the Kelvic and they were simply meeting on the beach as previously planned.

"Hello Moritz. Nice to meet you in person."

Frowning the Kelvic inspected the man, but was fairly certain he had not met him before. But he clearly knew his name... And was looking forward to seeing him.

"Uh, I'm sorry. You seem to know my name, but I don't know yours. Have we met? I feel like I would remember you, but I don't."

The tall man smiled for a moment, eying Moritz. The gaze was deep, and at once reminded Moritz of his own gaze when he used Pathfinding. Almost as if the man was not looking at him, but through and into him. Assessing his being deeply. For a moment Moritz considered activating his Iraso sight, but seeing the man and his eyes and how he looked, he thought better of it. The man was dressed in such a way that was fitting for Syka, with quite a bit of bared skin. It was then Moritz noted the mans build. Muscles, including ones in places he did not know could have muscles, the man was as toned as a statue carved from a boulder, though not overly bulky. Fit, but not grossly so.

"Ah, I see the confusion. You've never met me. Though I know of you. Though I think a few of my followers may have mentioned me to you, as they mentioned you to me. You've met a fair number, both here in in Lhavit. But then you do seem to hang around quite a disciplined and martial crowd don't you? Let me end the confusion. I am Wysar. And I have come to test your mettle."

Moritz paused, looking at the man, feeling once more like a small child standing before an adult. The name sounded vaguely familiar... And then Moritz remembered Kyra his combat instructor, and her dual divine backers... Myri, and... Wysar. The Kelvic tensed, before trying to pretend he was not nervous, before realizing how pointless that was and giving up on the attempt.

"Ah... I see... Well thank you for coming to see me. Well then, what did you have in mind?"

WC: 802
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on December 25th, 2021, 1:29 pm

Wysar peered over at Moritz, inspecting the Kelvic's eyes for a moment or two before taking a step closer.

"Its simple really. I've seen your conviction. Felt it. And you do seem to have integrity, your choices seem to indicate that. But... Discipline. That I need to test. Do you have discipline? And will you keep to it? Will you keep going even when it is tough, and follow along those convictions? I need to see that."

Moritz nodded, curious in increasing amounts the more Wysar spoke. He had seen his conviction? And his integrity? How? Moritz did not fully understand how a divine worked, but he was unsure more so how they could know of such things... But then, Moritz thought to himself, he knew he did not know and accepted that to a degree. Still trying to learn, but accepting that he had not yet.

"Okay. And so how do you want to do that?"

Wysar smiled for a moment, an expression that might have unnerved someone else, but which Moritz did not find odd. As the large man came over and rested a hand on his shoulder Moritz met his eyes and waited for him to explain. And then a moment later Wysar seemed to disappear, or at least was moving faster than the Kelvic could understand. One moment he was standing before him, the next he felt a hand on his shoulder and a foot behind his foot, and felt the entire world shift and turn. Head over heels he flipped only to land in a heap on his stomach. He had not even had the time to react or try to brace himself, and in the moment the soft cushioning sand seemed like hard stone as it pushed the air from his lungs.

Moritz tried to take in a gush of air, but his chest did not seem to work properly and he was left oddly wheezing and gasping. Wysar for his part stood above Moritz, waiting patiently.

"Saying is easy. You could say anything, but it would prove nothing. No I find actions to be much more proving. Just as your earlier actions proved other things, now I'd like your actions to prove your discipline. Keep getting up until I tell you to stop. That is the first rule of the game. If you do so, you win. Simple, right? You can fight or do whatever you want. But if you get knocked down, keep getting up. I find simple is best in such scenarios, right?"

Wysar smiling over him Moritz found he was finally able to take in a proper breath, and painfully nodded as he finally pulled in a gracious gasp of air. And the another. Then another after that, trying to slow his breathing and get it back to a proper state of things. He tried to remember what Wysar had done, but he felt utterly unprepared and did not understand. Some kind of body motion but... Beyond him. Twisting, using him against him... The foot, the shoulder, and turn somehow?

After a few more breaths he got back up to his knees and elbows, and then finally managed to stand. Inspecting Wysar for a moment Moritz finally found he had caught his breath, taking a single step towards the man and pulling his arms up before him in a defensive stance. Wysar simple stood, waiting patiently.

Arms up Moritz focused on his foot movement, and then moved forward with one arm leading. He began simple enough, throwing one arm out in a punch aimed at Wysars chest. However the large man seemed to expect this, and avoided the blow with the least amount of motion. Not moving his feet he turned his torso a bit and leaned a bit back, and the blow passed by his body with a good inch of clearance.

Then he felt a hand grip his elbow as it passed Wysar, and a foot slip behind his left heel. Another turn and twist, and now as if he had over exerted the punch he found himself flipping forward along with the blow. This time he was a bit more prepared and managed to curl his body somewhat, but still struck the ground below hard and ended up flopping out into a heap after part of a turn.

"The important thing is to keep trying, and to innovate. Maybe you'll work out some technique to get by me. Probably not, but it has been known to happen."

Moritz nodded once more from his position lying in a heap on the ground, trying again to catch his breath.

WC: 770
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Moritz Craven on December 25th, 2021, 2:34 pm

After lying for a few moments Moritz finally gathered his strength and got back up. Each time he fell it felt like he was gaining some weight, and was having to force his way upward through that greater weight in order to rise. First he was back to his knees, rising bit by bit. Then from there he shifted and got up to his feet while leaning over. And then with a final motion he was standing again.

Wysar seemed none the worse for wear, casually standing and waiting for Moritz to get up. As the Kelvic looked him over he tried to puzzle out something... What was he missing? He could tell there was something, some lesson embedded in the Deity's actions, but Moritz was having trouble working it out. Was there a similarity? In what he was doing? Or in what Wysar was doing?

Puzzling it out logically Moritz tried to compare, thinking it through bit by bit. The first time he had held his shoulder and a foot on his leg... And turned him such that he had fallen. The second time he had grabbed at his elbow and behind a foot, and threw him again. Once from standing. Once from a punch... And, Moritz noted to himself, the throw had been in the direction of the punch.

From that he could tell two things. Wysar had not actually struck him either time, no punches or kicks. And also, he had used his own punch against him. The forward motion of his punch had been redirected in such a way he lost his balance and was forced to flip. He was unsure on the first, but he felt that the second could be of some use if he learned how to do it on others. Redirecting a blow and using another persons energy against them instead of using his own force. Surely, if nothing else, that would be less tiring than using his own energy. While also wasting the other persons...

Facing against Wysar again Moritz calmly stood, meeting his eyes. This time he waited to move, inspecting each inch of Wysar's body. Head, neck, shoulders, chest, arms, hands, waist, legs, feet. From the upper parts to the lower, from extremities to center. While he looked at each part no visible flaw was shown, no clear spot to aim at. No weak point. Which, Moritz supposed, meant working by trial and error in new ways until he either found something by chance or Wysar felt he was done.

His punching having failed so utterly Moritz moved in again, slowly rotating around the larger man. He kept both hands up defensively and so he could punch if desired, waiting to see if Wysar would act if he got in range. Slowly, pacing around in measures around him, he waited and moved until he was directly behind Wysar. For his part the man did not move, simply inspecting a spot on his forearm, and waiting for whatever Moritz was going to do.

At that Moritz was left uncertain. He knew the god was a strong fighter, and quite skilled. He had felt it in fact... And yet he seemed to be acting casually, and leaving himself open without even looking in Moritz direction. Was it a trap? An attempt to lure him in? Realizing he had no chance either way, but a hope in one, he knew all that was left to do was to try and do his best. If it was a trap, he had to activate it to move things forward. If it was not a trap it would either fail or succeed. But if he wanted to keep going... He had to act.

Pausing for a moment Moritz inspected Wysar once more, before launching himself forward in a jumping kick aimed at his back. For a moment he thought it had worked, until just before he struck.

Once more at the last moment Wysar moved, taking a single step to the side and letting Moritz miss by an inch. Just before he landed from his jumping kick the god thrust out a single open palm aimed at his back, and pushed. With that instead of landing cleanly Moritz tipped and fell, falling on his face as he lost balance and composure from the sudden shift of weight and direction by the suddenly applied force.

WC: 729
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Moritz Craven on December 26th, 2021, 12:43 am

Once more sprawled on the grand, Moritz panted heavily while trying to right himself. While the sand was not hard, falling on it over and over was beginning to take its toll on the Kelvic. And even with all of his workouts and things to strain himself his body could only take so much.

By this point Moritz was also working up a strong sweat, using the back of his hand to wipe away a drop falling into his eye. His elbows and but were sore from falling on them, and he had a feeling he might have a few bruises he would find tomorrow, but still he was not read to give in.

Perhaps it was his Okomo nature, being hard headed and not willing to give in. Or perhaps it was just part of who Moritz was... Or perhaps even a mix of both. Regardless the Kelvic was determined to pass the test Wysar had set, even if he was there for bells upon bells.

His breath finally calming Moritz stood, popping to his knees and elbows before rising to his feet, once more trying to catch Wysar's eyes. Wysar for his part was still calm, cool, even breathed, as if he had just walked in after taking a nice long nap.

"You know, I was hoping for a bit more. I mean you are young, so you have only had a few years to train, but still... Though admittedly you have been trying new things. Well new to you, nothing new to me. Most people try the blind side within a few chimes, it never works that I can recall..."

As Moritz eyed the Deity he realized something. He was trying to anger Moritz. Which, Moritz reasoned, was also a part of the test. Would he maintain his cool and discipline? Or would he fly off in a rage over him and his teachers instruction on him being bad mouthed? It might have worked on another, but the fact it had taken Moritz so long to reason out what he was doing to Moritz was a pointed reminder of who Moritz was. He knew he was weak, unskilled, and needed more training. Wysar had said nothing he did not already know. And so he had no reason to be angry, or to fly off the handle.

With a smile of his own, finding a bit of humor at understanding the Divines attempt, Moritz began to move around in a circle around the god.

"Thank you for the compliment, I have been trying new things. Though as you said, all utterly failed. Even compared to my old teachers I am insignificant in terms of skill of arms. Compared to you, I am even more insignificant. But I am sure in time with enough training and practice I will get there. I am determined to keep at it until I do get there, even if it takes years more."

At that Wysar smiled again, eying the Kelvic.

"You are an odd fellow, you know that. Most people get my attention in differing ways. Some with many small acts. Some with one or two big ones. You on the other hand did both. Not unheard of, but a bit odd. You saw something needing doing, something that was right in your mind, and saw no one else was doing anything about it. You felt a duty, felt a rightness to a task, and convinced of that and it being the right thing you left all you knew... Your city, family, teachers, everyone, and moved to a strange place with people you did not know. Quite a decisive action. Most people would spend more time deciding to move across the world and to abandon all they knew than you did. I think that was when you first really got my attention. That shows real integrity and a strong conviction within you. As for discipline, well you came and did not leave, still here after many days, that is one mark in your favor. Though as I said that part still needs some testing."

Somewhat stunned, Moritz had not been expecting Wysar to know such things. Nor that the decision he had made about going where he did would indirectly garner the attention of another divine being. Though he was unsure how much he knew, seeing as he only spoke on the action itself, and not what it had been about... This left Moritz wondering if Wysar either did not know about Morwen, or just did not want to say and did know... He was unsure which was preferable, Though with all the people he had told of the vision he was sure some gods or goddesses knew about it... Zintilla for one, as she ruled Lhavit and her direct reports had learned of the vision in detail.

"I think... In that case, I felt doing nothing was as good as helping the bad thing to happen. So it wasn't really a choice, it was just a logical conclusion. So what was there to think about?"

WC: 844
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Moritz Craven on December 26th, 2021, 1:04 pm

Wysar smiled for a moment as Moritz responded, taking on a distant look as he peered out over the water of the Suvan.

"Yes, if all decisions were so easy... I think sometimes you mortals have it easier. You simply make a decision and do your best, or most do. Most of your actions don't really make a big difference. But for me, well things are a bit more complicated. I've got to look for the bigger consequences when I make a decision. Imagine if you went to chop down a tree. If you used your full force, maybe you downed the tree in one go. But what if downing that one tree might end up leveling an entire forest? Its tricky business. But I respect your decision for you, and appreciate what it shows. Like I said, that's what first got my attention on you."

Moritz nodded, looking at the god carefully, wondering on what he had said. In some ways he understood what he was saying, and in others he did not. But if nothing else it left him feeling he understood how a divine thought a bit better, their thought process and how they considered things. Or at least this particular one...

"But then surely if there are ones like you who fully consider your actions, surely there are others who do not. Or who actively try to do harm. I only know of a few gods and goddesses, and I can't imagine any of them doing so... But Surely there are those who would."

Wysar smiled again at Moritz question, not answering but simply meeting his eyes. Even for Moritz the mans concentrated gaze was a bit unnerving, and he did his best to meet his gaze without flinching. The discussion seeming done for the moment it seemed it was time to get back to things, and so Moritz prepared himself to go in again.

Flexing his body for a moment Moritz stretched his arms and back, before settling back into a ready position. Once more he began circling around Wysar, his eyes darting about from place to place. Hands. Feet. Eyes. Back. He tried to examine each one, hoping that one or another would give away some tell. Some sign that this or that would be doing this... Or that... But Wysar was blank, standing casually and seeming to give nothing away. He appeared as if he was not in a fight, at least until the moment he clearly was.

Crouching a bit Moritz pondered, and then rushed in low at the mans back, aiming for his knees and ankles. He expected to fail, but still tried. Still did not give in. For what was his test but to show his mettle in not doing so... Not giving in or up. As he finally neared Wysar he stretched out while keeping on the ground, aiming a kicked foot leading with his right leg at the mans inner knee on the back side. Here though Wysar did something odd, different from his earlier reactions. Rather than dodge or move out of the way he popped his knee back, somehow striking Moritz on the bottom of the foot with the shifting muscle. Part of this was technique, applying force in just the right way to just the right effect... But it was also aided by the rock hard muscles the divine bore. Due to this mixed technique and physique Moritz found himself slipping in his kick, his foot sliding and tilting forward. As this occurred he began to fall, leaning forward suddenly.

Capturing this motion Moritz bent his body and turned his fall into a roll, landing on his shoulder and turning over before rolling again to make some room. Luckily for him Wysar did not move to attack again, giving him a chance to recover, which he did as he turned and popped back to his feet. A recovery from the fall, if only just barely.

WC: 660
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes