Closed A Potter's Life For Me (Eva)

Nesra interviews a new Sykan for a potential job.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Potter's Life For Me (Eva)

Postby Gossamer on May 5th, 2022, 2:37 am

The 16th of Spring, 522 A.V.

Nesra was having a heck of a time with her curse. She was breaking things right and left which made it hard for her to throw clay and even harder for her to run the kiln and fire it properly. She was painting just fine, but she'd spill the paints routinely and couldn't keep in the lines when cups and bowls fell right out of her hands.

So she was doing the sensible thing and making clay. It was hard to mess up making clay utilizing the wet method.

Nesra had gathered good riverbank clay from about fifteen feet from the Syka River, and now she was at the stage where she was purifying it. That process wasn't difficult at all. She'd brought a huge bucket load of clay back from the river in one of her most prized possessions... her wheelbarrow. She'd parked the wheelbarrow next to the camp she had set up behind the Communal Kiln that consisted of a tent back in the trees, an open cookfire area, and a wash-up area.

Luckily the Syka Commons had latrines, so Nesra was taken care of there. Those lay behind the Communal Kitchens which she also took advantage of when she wanted to do something a bit more fancy than cook over an open fire.

The potter was living lean and with minimal things. Most of her tent was packed with her glazes and the things she made to go with the pottery she sold. Her entire setup in Syka was for earning money and staying under the radar of those who might be looking for her.

She felt safe here... safe and protected, but Nesra was still constantly worried in the back of her mind that people looking for rher would eventually come here and find her.

So she threw her pots, fired them, and since the curse had descended and that all had become impossible. So she made clay... stockpiling it for a time she could begin to throw ceramics again.

Thus Nesra sat on a stool, mixing soil into the water in five-gallon buckets with stretched-out cotton ready to be suspended from her lines and poured into the fabric. She stirred the water loaded with soil, separating out the sand and debris from the clay... letting the clay suspend in the water... bucket by bucket.

And as she worked, she sang, quietly, songs of her homeland from so very far away. She'd welcome a visitor or even someone to come up and inquire about a job or even an apprenticeship. Now, more than ever, as she sat stirring her heavily ladened water, she wondered if any of the children at the Children's Pavalion would be interested in becoming a potter.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Evalynn Frostfawn on May 5th, 2022, 3:53 am

Eva was wondering around to commons, familiarizing herself to the area and repeating to herself where everything was located. She had been doing this every day when she had the time and would typically spend a few hours memorizing the area. Today was no different in the routine, she had some extra time on her hands and found this a perfect opportunity to start her hobby. The only exception was the discovery of a small camp set up behind the communal kiln.

Feeling curious, Eva cautiously walked over and peeked around the area, giving it a quick once over. She seen cloth and buckets, a cooking area, and a place for washing. Pottery was scattered about, but also seemed to be organized well from finished pots to ones that looked to be needing fired. She concluded that this must be where all the local pottery had originated from and immediately game a smile as she made herself known.

"Excuse me? Are you the one who made all of these gorgeous ceramics? They are quite stunning and very well made." Eva spoke as she made her way over to an area of finished pottery. The delicate brushwork and skillful carvings made her mind wonder just how long it took for her to make such a thing. She then faces Nesra and listened to her answer before continuing on. "I was wondering if I could possibly become an apprentice under you, or even get a job? The thought of having the ability to connect to nature via pottery is exciting to think about."
Evalynn Frostfawn
Don't Stand Out

Words: 160390
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2013, 12:16 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on May 6th, 2022, 1:18 am

Nesra wasn't exactly a friendly sort. She had a lot of secrets she was hiding, and strangers weren't her favorite type of visitors. Plus, she was elbow deep in clay prep. So she furrowed her brow at the newcomer and raised an eyebrow without bothering to stop what she was doing.

The woman hadn't bothered to introduce herself, or even ask her what her name was. Nesra didn't give her any sort of high marks for that.

"Yes, I'm the local potter." Nesra answered in a short suspicious voice. She wasn't volunteering anything to the stranger who hadn't even volunteered her own name.

"I'm not opposed to giving someone a job and taking on an apprentice, but I need someone who knows a little something about pottery. It's not a skill just everyone can do. There's a lot of hard dirty work. So please... tell me what your qualifications are and why I should take you on as an apprentice." She said thoughtfully, her hands still deep in a bucket of water, busy mixing it.

"And do you even have a clue what I'm doing right now?" She added, curious as to how much the stranger knew. This interview was going to go nowhere fast unless a few things changed almost immediately.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalynn Frostfawn on May 6th, 2022, 1:49 am

"It's very nice to meet you. And forgive me, my name is Evalynn, I'm sorry for just barging into your shop without an introduction." Eva noted the suspicion as she attempted to clear it up. Giving a bit of a nervous e chuckle and raising her hands, she answered Nesra about her qualifications. "While I don't have any official training or teachings under my belt about pottery, I have attempted to make things with clay I would find while digging. Mostly just to get a feel for things and to play around."

It was only a partial truth that she had told. While she did find clay when digging out holes for building a lean-to, she didn't really have time to play with it. She mainly just piled it around her fire and allowed it to dry into something that could hold sticks above it. It was crude and messy and by no means always functional, but it was something she would occasionally do. Eva then dropped her hands and looked around when she was asked what the woman was doing.

She walked over to a bucket and peered inside, noticing murky water and debris floating around. Walking over to an empty cloth, she kind of moved it around some before feeling the fabric. Her eyes caught sight of the wheelbarrow as she was walking and she wandered over to look at it as well. She then started talking,looking around the area once more.

"Well, I'm not entirely sure what you are doing. But I am guessing that you're cleaning the clay right now? The barrow here is caked with mud, and it is still wet. You're sitting in front of a bucket, elbow deep, mucking it up while other buckets are off to the side." Eva pointed casually to the hanging cloth. "And that there is probably what you will use to drain your clay. Otherwise, why else would you have it hanging up like that unless it's where you put finished clay. Or maybe scrap clay from other projects to discard later."
Evalynn Frostfawn
Don't Stand Out

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on May 9th, 2022, 12:25 am

“Hello Evalynn. I’m Nesra.” The Potter said politely, not taking her eyes off the woman she’d never seen before. “This is my home, not my shop. I don’t have a shop. This is _MY HOME_ you waltzed into. I camp here and live here… most of my tent is taken up by storage for my glazes and molds and my equipment so I can do my job.” She said, correcting the woman.

It was, after all, a tent. It wasn't a shop... not by any means. Nesra didn't sell pottery herself. She supplied the Mercantile and she would have told Evalynn that had she been asked.

There was no rows of pottery, just everyday useful stuff she needed to function day today. She sent all her things up to The Mercantile to be sold once she’d finished them and since it was the jungle, nothing was laying around half done. The kiln itself had drying tables and was set up for people to work batches and glaze, reglaze, and fire off green clay into the hardened pots.

As was explained earlier, Nesra had parked the wheelbarrow next to the camp she had set up behind the Communal Kiln that consisted of a tent back in the trees, an open cookfire area, and a wash-up area. There was no organized pottery, no rows of half-finished work… nothing. Just her wheelbarrow of harvested clay-heavy soil and her buckets of water and the cloths hanging from the trees. And she absolutely hated that this woman was touching her things without permission. It was as rude as not introducing herself.

Truth be told, when the woman started pointing out the obvious, Nesra scratched her chin, making a mark of clay across it, and watched Evalynn dubiously. “Look…. This isn’t going to work. If you want to work clay, go ahead… the kiln is for everyone. Just don’t ruin it. But I’m not looking for any employees at the moment. Sorry. And I’m not cleaning the clay… not in the least. I’m pulling clay from soil. This isn’t a big city where we can order clay in from clay harvesters. We harvest it all ourselves… and that’s what I’m doing. I’m making clay so I can throw some pots later and fire them in the kiln." She said, frustrated.

"Normally, I’d be glad to have an apprentice, but frankly you are rude. You are barging into my home without asking, touching my things, looking all around curiously. It’s not my cup of tea. Sorry. You should look elsewhere for work.” She said firmly, watching Evalynn coldly… her eyes flashing momentarily before she scratched her chin again, flaking off some of the clay she’d laid on it with the first pass.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalynn Frostfawn on May 15th, 2022, 3:24 am

"Oh! I'm so sorry! I don't know what I was thinking, I didn't realize this was your home. I thought it was like your small shop just now being set up." Eva quickly, yet carefully made her way out of the area. She felt extremely guilty and rude for what she just did and went to the very edge of the campsite. She then turned around and continued listening to what the potter said. She understood the woman's frustration coursing through her voice as Eva was scolded and could only nod as a response. Once the woman finished, Eva took a deep breath to gather herself and continued.

"Once again, I wish to apologize. It was very rude of me to just assume things and help myself to your private space. I also want to apologize for me lying to you about what you were doing with the clay. I was trying to impress you in hopes of becoming your apprentice. But looking at the situation now, I have ruined my chances of that, yet I still wish to fix my blunder if you allow me to."

Eva bowed her head as an extra form of an apology, not knowing if it was going to work and looked back at the woman. Her hands twisted and fiddled the hem of her shirt in the smallest area as she waited for the woman's response. If she was forgiven and was allowed to make up for her mistake, she would offer up herself in the form of some sort of labor. From digging into the dirt for clay like she mentioned to just simply running errands for her until it seems Evalynn's blunder was fixed. If she wasn't allowed to make up for her mistake, Eva would thank her for her time and simply leave, knowing she did all she could.
Evalynn Frostfawn
Don't Stand Out

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on May 28th, 2022, 2:14 am

Nesra watched Evalynn dispassionately. Normally she was friendly, but this young woman had just pushed most of her proverbial buttons. “I’m not sure how you couldn’t have realized that this was my home, but apology accepted.” She said politely, not rude herself, just not very tolerant of a young woman gushing then lying then groveling. The girl had a lot of emotions that Nesra wasn’t a fan of. She was quiet, reserved and kept her secrets close to herself.

The Potter lifted her eyebrow. “You want to fix your blunder?” She repeated suspiciously… still watching the girl with shrewdness in her eyes. The girl had apologized three times, and was bowing her head as if she were groveling now. Nesra didn’t know how to take it. There was a lot going on and certainly she couldn’t be this girls only hope for a job in Syka. Everyone needed help everywhere.

Holding in a large sigh, Nesra studied the girl then shook her head. “I don’t need an apprentice. But I could use some help around here. Cleaning, fetching, doing that sort of thing. I often have to pack crates and those crates need grasses to pad the ceramics. It takes me a ton of time to gather them. I’d pay 3 gm a day for you to run errands and do general labor for me. Then maybe if you do well for a season, I’ll consider you as an apprentice.” Nesra said, smiling finally.

“You can start tomorrow. Now… either say yes or no thank you and get yourself someplace out of my sight. I’ll see you first thing if you want the job.” She added, then waved goodbye for an added affect of a dismissal.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on May 28th, 2022, 3:13 am

Grades

Eva-

Rhetoric +3, Persuasion +2, Subterfuge +1, Investigation +1, Interrogation +2, Psychology +1

Nesra: Appearance & Mannerism, Nesra: Location Of Her Home, Persuasion: Asking For A Job, Nesra: Local Potter, Subterfuge: Lying To Nesra During A Job Interview, Investigation: Scouting Nesra’s Private Property, Nesra: Has Poor Opinion of Evalynn, Nesra: Turned Down Offer of Apprenticeship, Nesra: Offered Her Laborer’s Position

Job: 1 laborer position for 3gm a day.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes