Closed Just a scratch (Naadiya)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Just a scratch (Naadiya)

Postby D'Varrus Tomva on June 6th, 2022, 3:20 pm

D’Varrus gave a shrug of his shoulders. He didn’t quite agree with the concept of modesty, but he understood it well enough to recognize Naadiya’s reservations. That said, he suggestion didn’t embarrass him as modesty had always been something forced onto him rather than something he chose for himself. It had taken him a long time to realize that wasn’t the case for most, though the standards of their modesty changed quite a bit from region to region. Like here for instance. A confusing wrinkle that didn’t line up with his limited worldly experience. He suspected Naadiya wasn’t from around these parts either, which meant that she would have different standards to the rest of the residents, or perhaps a blend depending on how long she had spent here so far which only made things more complicated. Honestly he wondered how they kept track of it all. Things were much simpler if they were just done his way.

Still he didn’t press the woman on the subject, realizing belatedly that this had been a spontaneous idea on his part. They let their hands do the talking for a while, and then D’Varrus asked another question, listening carefully to her answer. He got a curious look in his eye, then grimaced.

“I told you how I came here. Before I did they trained me to be a guard every day since the first day I could change. They wanted something bestial and exotic but overall obedient. I did what I had to.” He said simply, not lingering on the subject for long. It wasn’t that it particularly stung to think about, actually quite the contrary. What happened was still so fresh in his mind that he simply felt numb when he thought back to what his life had been like not so long ago. He suspected that would change as he grew more adjusted, but for now he preferred to avoid those uncomfortable feelings for now.

In the meantime, Naadiya had ‘fixed’ her dress to allow her better movement and was currently having a hard time removing her jewelry, something he could sympathize with although he hadn’t been forced to wear it in a long time. Unless a leather collar could be considered jewelry. He supposed it could, but he didn’t feel like pursuing the point much. D’Varrus thought about lending a hand with unclasping the bracelet that she seemed to be having trouble with, though after his earlier comment he quickly decided the best course of action would be to let her figure it out herself. He allowed that it was a very pretty bracelet, and it would be a shame if it got damaged during their spar. It would probably be for the better if he avoided demonstrating any throws as it didn’t seem like she was going to get it off anytime soon.

“That’s alright. I’ll do my best to refrain from causing any damage to your bracelet.” D’Varrus said with an easy smile, fairly confident with the way things were going. He worked her through another routine, finally catching her off guard when she tried to hop over his leg sweep. Something he was actually glad she tried once it became apparent that she was alright from her little fall in the sand. He held onto her wrists for a few moments longer than he probably should have, and when he released her he took a few steps backwards.

“Never jump in a fight if you can help it. It makes you an easy target for anyone whom is halfway competent with what they are doing. If you want to avoid a strike try working on your rolls, and such” D’Varrus said, choosing not to mention his own lack of effort in that very category. It was something he was supposed to keep up with but confined to that small cell for days on end hadn’t exactly motivated him.

He then stood back, and braced his leg while she practiced sweeping on him. At first he just took the strikes as they came, figuring this would be good experience for her as she saw how his leg actually responded. It wasn’t exactly a painless activity, but he weathered the first few blows with a slight wince. Then when she dropped down for another leg sweep, he decided to fall into the blow. Shifting his weight to his right leg, he let her leg connect with his left and push it with minimal resistance as he fell on his side. Tucking his left arm in, he absorbed the impact with his shoulder before he tried latching onto her leg with his right hand though he was a bit too slow to complete the complex maneuver in time.

Looking up, D’Varrus favored her with a chagrined smile and rolled onto his stomach before pushing himself up to his feet where he dusted off some of the wet sand that caked to his body before giving up when he realized he was utterly covered. He would need to probably go for a dip after this which on this sweltering day would be more than a little refreshing.

“You catch on quickly, that was good.” D’Varrus said, taking a brief stock of himself before looking up at her. “I imagine if you are given the chance to dress appropriately beforehand you’ll do even better at it.” The teasing comment caught him off guard as he wasn’t entirely sure of what prompted it. Just a spontaneous thought that he gave a voice before thinking it over. He grinned slightly and then tilted his head to the side.

“I enjoyed that though, how about you?” He asked as he stretched his arms out over his head and behind his back. Now that they had been at it for a little while, he felt fairly limbered up which was surprisingly nice. D’Varrus couldn’t recall the last time he actually enjoyed sparring, much less to this degree. There was something fun and carefree about when the stakes were so low though he certainly wouldn’t consider this training. That brought along an interesting thought.

“Do you know if Syka has a place for such activities or do you all just train on the beach?” He asked.

WC - 1,040
D'Varrus Tomva
Player

Words: 87654
Joined roleplay: April 22nd, 2022, 2:17 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Just a scratch (Naadiya)

Postby Naadiya on June 17th, 2022, 5:13 pm

Never jump in a fight? Yes… I suppose that does make sense, she thought, discarding flamboyant ideas from campfire tales of flips and midair twirling kicks. Better to always have at least one foot on the ground for some semblance of balance. Don’t run before you can walk.

When her final sweep actually swept, Naadiya felt a tiny thrill. She could tell that he had let her swing succeed on purpose, either to give his pupil a consolation prize or to avoid any further shin-to-shin battery. Naadiya could already feel that the tender skin would not take too long to turn purple.

I’ll need arnica, but I’m not sure they have that already planted at the communal kitchen, not many culinary uses…Maybe Uta has some, I’ll definitely want to plant some eventually, she made a mental note while gently touching the pre-bruise area to test it’s sensitivity while D’varrus tried to rid himself of the sand she too had patches of.

Cocking her head up at him, Naadiya raised her eyebrows mockingly. “You might be surprised to hear that a weaver’s profession doesn’t often involve midday sparring on the beach. It wasn’t something I had actually planned on when getting dressed this morning…”

She trailed off thinking of another encounter on the beach and the fear and panic she had felt at the time. Then too, she had been poorly dressed for the occasion and ill-prepared. The chief reason she’d even escaped that encounter unscathed was that she had run just fast enough…. And that the person she was running from had no harmful intentions and so did not gave chase….

“Maybe it should though… I mean, I should train more. It’s not that I have experienced a real need to, but the lack of need stems from being surrounded by people who are as you said ‘at least halfway competent’.”

“I’m sure it was obvious but combat is not something I’m entirely adept at. I could definitely use more regular practice, if for nothing else that to feel more secure when I’m out alone. I do actually think that people mostly did these training type of activities on the beach until not very long ago,” she said, thinking of that same encounter she’d had with Mortiz running along the shore and how everything made much more sense once she knew more of the settlement and it’s inhabitants.

“But somewhat recently they had a new place built. I forget the name they gave it, Center of Peace or Calm or something. There is a man, Zayne, running it who I’ve heard gives unarmed combat classes when he isn’t busy with a massage. And actually a massage doesn’t sound too bad right now either, though I suppose I haven’t the time for one.”

Naadiya had yet to meet Zayne, the tattooed yogi who’d joined the settlement in the Spring but she’d still hadn’t heard anyone complaining after they left the massage hut.

Placing both hands on her neck so that her thumbs pointed down, Naadiya pushed up with the heels of her palms and heard the satisfying popping of her spine. She slumped her shoulders down for a few relaxing minutes before adjusting her posture.

I’m in terrible shape. Too tight, too stiff, and way too soft.

Too much time spend sitting (or standing) over her loom had been atrophying whatever muscles she ever had.

“I think I’m going to ask Zayne for some combat classes, I’m thinking something on a regular basis, would you want to take one with me?”

It was a little odd, she had to admit, that she’d been warming up to this newcomer so quickly. Naadiya wasn’t quite sure what it was, perhaps the fact that he seemed to remind her of other people, but maybe not even that.

Before she untied her skirt, Naadiya brushed off as much of the sand as she could, then let the fabric drape down and continued to pat at the remained sand patches.

“A hot bath will do very nicely as well. Have you been to the Community Pools yet? Great little local spot if you like relaxing in warm waters.”

Pinching the fabric on either side of her skirt, Naadiya shook vigorously to get off as much of the sand as possible. Syka was not exactly very formal or anything close, but even here a shop owner like Dawn might frown at having her employees helping customers while sand stuck to sweaty skin and fell from folds in their clothing.

“You know what?” She thought outloud, “she did not hire me as a shop clerk and doesn’t pay me as one either. She’s not alone, she’ll be fine. If you want, I can take you wherever you’d like to see next. Otherwise, I might go find a place to bathe, this damned sand is sticking to all the wrong places.”

Naadiya
Player

Words: 338062
Joined roleplay: January 11th, 2022, 11:57 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Just a scratch (Naadiya)

Postby D'Varrus Tomva on June 28th, 2022, 1:22 pm

Naadiya’s comment teased out a smile from him as he detected a trace of sarcasm. “Well it should. You live on the edge of the wilderness after all. Surely Dawn wouldn’t be hard to convince to allow you a bit more time for sparring everyday.” D’Varrus said, considering himself very fortunate the he didn’t have to rely on his human form for everything. “Also you should consider maybe always dressing like you are going to get into a fight, and packing like you might not get to return home that night. Maybe I’m wrong, but this place isn’t exactly a city.” Suddenly he regretted adding that last part as it felt like he was lecturing but the truth was decidedly more complicated than that.

He was beginning to like Naadiya beyond the general sense of camaraderie that came with a good spar. She gave it her all, and didn’t look down on him for his past. Comparatively, her attitude was refreshing, and he rather liked the idea of training with her regularly after this. In fact, he considered it a part of his duty now that he was tasked with guarding the settlement. D’Varrus was realistic enough to know that he couldn’t be everywhere at once. If everyone knew how to defend themselves at least a little bit, it might buy them enough time for others to come help. That was his reasoning anyways, and something he would start encouraging around Syka if he thought the person needed it.

Then he listened attentively as she spoke, nodding slightly as he worked out his own soreness which was mostly focused around his shins. Massaging the thin membrane of tissue there, he looked up when she mentioned taking classes. “Yeah, I’d like that. I could do with a bit more training after being kept in restraints for so long.” He said, rocking back a moment before coming back to his feet and dusting off the seat of his trousers. Streching his arms above his head, he reached until he felt a satisfying pop which felt like it was releasing all of the tension out of him at once. Her next suggestion was even more appealing for it had been a decent amount of time since he had properly cleaned himself. Now that he considered it, they must have washed him when he exhausted himself out the other night because he didn’t stink as he should. It was a mildly confusing thought, but not particularly embarrassing as he hadn’t exactly been present for the occasion.

Still the sound of this bath enticed him greatly as his captors rarely had allowed him to indulge in such luxuries. Usually he was lucky to get a cold bucket of water if anything at all, so if there was an opportunity, he would take it. “Actually I wouldn’t mind you showing me where this Community Pool is. Its been a while since I’ve had a good bath, and I could use one.” He said, taking a wary sniff. Not the worst he had ever smelled, but his skin was starting to feel a little grimy.

He adjusted his posture to face her more directly. “Then after maybe you could show me a good place to get something to eat.” D’Varrus added as a way of being friendly, as he had already been introduced to the Tidepool touring around the settlement with Matthias. However Naadiya decided to land on things, he waited patiently to follow wherever she lead after he finished gathering his things.

WC - 586
D'Varrus Tomva
Player

Words: 87654
Joined roleplay: April 22nd, 2022, 2:17 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Previous