Solo A Memory Re-Membered I

Moritz stumbles upon an odd item...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Memory Re-Membered I

Postby Moritz Craven on February 12th, 2023, 9:17 pm

2 Winter 522

Walking across the commons, Moritz explored a bit of Syka once again. Since he was only staying a few days before leaving he did not have long to do things, but at the same time he was trying to enjoy himself and relax before he left. He was planning a short stopover in Lhavit to visit his home, but then he would be back to Sunberth where he was constantly tense, on guard, and ready for someone to try to rob or stab him. Having grown up in Lhavit which was much more peaceful, the Kelvic was not used to be so on guard so long. He needed the time away to calm his nerves and build up his reserves of mental fortitude.

Not, Moritz thought as he looked around at the jungle settlement, that Syka was utterly safe. But for the most part the edges near the coast were safe, most of the danger involving the deeper parts into the jungles. So long as he stayed near shore and did not go too far from the settlement he was relatively safe. And even then there were generally people around who he trusted to not try and rob or stab him. So even with the threat of insects and roving beasts he felt much safer and at ease than he did in Sunberth.

As he moved a sudden breeze came in from the shore, filling the air with the thick smell of the coast which always reminded him of Syka. Technically Sunberth was on the coast, but it dd not come off quite the same way. In Syka it was wafts of warm salty air, the scent and taste of fish... The feeling of oncoming rain.... In Sunberth it was cold or hot, did not seem to rain more than Lhavit, and the air was almost always overladen with thick stench and smoke. As he sank into this familiar set of sensations and walked across the wooden walkway, he noticed something on the ground before him...

A feather. A quill? Looking closer Moritz realized it was not just a random lost feather, but more like an actual quill for writing... Though, as he thought on this, he realized he was unsure on the actual distinction between the two. What made a feather into a quill? Shrugging to himself and wondering who or what had lost it, Moritz absentmindedly bent to pick it up as his hand was drawn to it.

As Moritz picked up the feather, still sunk into the sensations of the shore, a memory came to mind unbidden. A strong memory that seemed to wash over Moritz, forcing him into it without even thinking. It was this same beach... But a bit different... And namely as he saw it as he first arrived, talking to Julan the ghost and the others on the trip before they departed, and then heading off of the boat with one of the trio of Lhavitians along for the ride while the other two prepared to disembark. While it was something Moritz had thought on quite a bit after arriving, it had been at least a year or perhaps longer - he did not exactly recall- since he dwelled on it. Knowing there was nothing he could do about it, he had tried to move on... But now it ran through his head like it was happening freshly.

WC: 564
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

A Memory Re-Membered I

Postby Moritz Craven on February 12th, 2023, 10:25 pm

As Moritz delved into the events of his own memory, he looked about the rocking boat as they neared the docks to make landfall. He recalled Julan, the ghost he had failed to help and who's current state he was still unsure of... There was also several others, though in the moment Moritz could not recall their names. Not good with names in general, and even worse back then, none of their names came to mind... He recalled there was a man... Possibly with some skill in sailing... Along with two woman, one of which was a Kelvic... But beyond that he could not remember much about them, and his mind glossed over it now.

Not fully aware of what was going on Moritz mind just moved along, reliving and rethinking of the past events as he used to do shortly after it happened. He was sitting on his bunk, waiting for them to land, having packed as best he could but not quite ready to unload things... In the meantime he was trying to talk to Julan... What had he said? Whatever it had been it had not worked, as Julan had immediately run off once they made land...

"Julan... We are about to arrive, alright? But make sure you behave when we get there, and stay with me. No running off, alright?"

"Julan... Once we make land, make sure to stay with me. No causing trouble, you understand?"

"Julan... I know you've been cooped up on this ship with me for awhile. But promise me when we get there you will behave, and stay close. Its a new city. A new place... We need to work things out, and I need to figure out where we are going next. Alright?"

He could not recall the exact words, but the bits he could remember amounted to that more or less. Talking to Julan, possibly acknowledging how long the trip had been... How long he had been cooped up... But asking him to promise he would be good, not run off, and not cause trouble. Mentally Julan was quite young, not having developed since he died. Moritz understood that, and was trying to help him work through things in the hopes of helping him move on one day. He thought if he befriended him, was his friend, he could help him move on. To experience and enjoy things. He had already gotten him out of his comfort zone to travel with him, and he hoped he could get him to experience more, since that seemed to be as best he could tell what he was holding onto... To get him to et go and some day continue on into Dira's arms... But that was not what he had done, not what had happened. Not how it ended.

In the end Julan did not really answer, and once he had heard they had made it to the dock he shot off, running down the beach in excitement to a large group of people. And a big animal pulling something. Mentally he was still that little kid, in some ways less mature than Moritz, and did not always recall he was dead. And so he had done what any child would do after being cooped up so long, he ran up excited to talk to some people and ask questions.

How was he supposed to know the animal would be afraid from the ghost getting near. he had not even touched it or anyone, just talked, but the animal had freaked out. Moritz didn't know either, having grown up around animals who were used to ghosts, and so having no idea that the animal would react as such could not warn Julan.

Frowning at his own memory Moritz finally recalled this was all in the past, as he saw the memories moving along around him. And then as if grasping at water flowing past in his mind, he moved backward. Reversing until finally he was on the boat again, and talking to Julan...

WC: 671
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Memory Re-Membered I

Postby Moritz Craven on February 13th, 2023, 1:42 am

Pausing for a moment, Moritz looked around at the room of the boat he had taken from Riverfall to Syka. The main bit of their trip, from Lhavit to Riverfall, had been on another boat, but they had ended up on another one for that last leg of the trip. Of course the other trip had been meant for a long voyage, and needed restocking, and so they had ended up on this one...

Moritz recalled the familiar feel of the boat shifting and moving about, so similar to all of the other trips he had take on a boat. Having a strong stomach and not having issue with motion sick he had never really gotten queasy or sick, which could not be said about all of his other traveling companions.

He knew he was reliving a memory, moving through it, but now he also actively knew that... And was figuring out he could affect things. Before it had been like watching something play out without his input, he had no ability to change it and was just watching. But now, he figured, if he knew he was viewing things and seemed to have some capacity for changing things then maybe he could do just that. Change things. And then rather than end up where he had before, he could end up in a new better place.

Thinking forward, he knew his first mistake was his talk with Julan. Julan had not listened to his words, and had by accident set off a large beast of burden, which had gone wild and charged off through the settlement, causing damage as it went. This had not been his or Julans intent, but it was what happened in the end.

As he thought on this Moritz felt around, touching the bunk, the side of the boat, feeling the texture... Everything he experienced seemed just like the real trip had been. It felt real... But he knew it was something that had happened in the past, a good bit of time ago... But looking around he did not see any way out. He recalled picking up the quill, or feather, and then... he was here. He recalled the time before when he had gotten stuck in the same day repeating over and over, and decided to do his best to improve things. It did not seem quite the same, but still... Perhaps if he did that, things would resolve? He was unsure at the time what ended things, if it was finding a good outcome for the day or something else, but in the end he had nothing else to do and no better idea of how to get out and so trying to solve the day seemed the best thing to try. Off to the side Julan was complaining, watching Moritz carefully. "Come on, lets go! Are we there? We've barely been off the boat since we left Lhavit."

Looking over at the ghost with care Moritz smiled, recalling his past self and trying to think. What would improve things? What would make the outcome go better. What would help Julan see what he needed to do... Pulling in a deep breath he thought and tried to explain as best he could, while looking deep into and through the spirits ghostly eyes.

WC: 550
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Memory Re-Membered I

Postby Moritz Craven on February 13th, 2023, 11:00 pm

"Julan..."

Moritz looked at his old friend, trying to think on what to say. Meeting his eyes in turn Julan grinned while laying high up in the room, playing around as he often did when he recalled he was dead. If nothing else the Kelvic felt he had grown since all of this had first occurred, but he was unsure if he had grown enough to deal with this properly. Of course, he reasoned, it was all just a memory, so what better time to try and fix things?

"Julan... When we get there. I need you to promise me something. And this is a serious promise, alright? We are friends, aren't me? And friends keep there promises, right?"

Julan in response puttered around the room a bit, making Moritz smile at his antics. In his memories at least the ghost had not changed, and was... Just as he remembered. As he was thinking this though he realized the absurdity of it, and that of course someone in his memories would be as he remembered. It was his memories after all. In the end Julan finally came down and stopped messing about, meeting Moritz eyes. "Yes, we are friends. But... Its been sooooo long! Can't I just go out! I want to go and meet the new people!"

Sadly shaking his head, Moritz knew what would happen if he did that. Now, in hindsight, he knew something he had not known before. And now knowing what would happen he could not let it happen again.

"Julan... In Lhavit, where we were before, were you lived before, we knew how things worked. Small things were not a big deal, and I could fix it if you caused a bit of mischief. But now, we are in a new place neither of us have been to before. So... We really need to be careful, alright? I don't know what kind of people live here. How they think of ghosts. Do they attack them on sight? Will you be okay? So... I think for now, just till I work out some things... Like where we will be staying, and what people think of ghosts... It would be better if you stay on the boat. Please! Promise me you will stay on the boat. If your my friend, please promise me this one thing alright?"

Shaking his head Julan ran about the small space, bumping into and passing through several things as he did. "But, come on Moritz! People! I want to talk to the new people! Please! Your my friend too! Come on! Lets go together!"

Seeing how hard Julan was fighting it, Moritz frowned again, sad at how Julan was reacting but at the same time knowing what would happen if he did not address things...

"Julan. I need your word. Before we land, I need your word that you will stay put here and not cause trouble. And in exchange... If you stay here till I come get you, and you do not cause any trouble... Once we get settled, and I find us a place to stay, I will spend all of the next day with just the two of us playing. How about that?"

Clearly tempted by the offer Julan moved about some more, glancing from Moritz, to the boat, to the roof, to the bunk, and finally back to Moritz. "But I... But... Okay... I promise... I won't leave the boat. But then you better spend a whole day with me like you promised alright! We are friends, so promises go both ways! So I'll keep mine, but you have to keep yours!"

Moritz nodded in response, saddened once more, as he eyed Julan. Already he had changed something, or he believed he had... But he was unsure what change that would have on things.

"Thank you Julan. This means a lot to me. I know it won't be easy, but I will keep my promise if you keep yours. And we will have lots of fun! Just let me get the lay of the land, and find us a place to stay, and then we can spend time together just the two of us. Don't worry, I keep my promises."

WC: 703
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Memory Re-Membered I

Postby Moritz Craven on February 13th, 2023, 11:37 pm

Having finally talked Julan down, Moritz considered what would come next. Before after landing he had raced off to chase down Julan, but had not managed to keep up... Assuming Julan would keep his promise, which he believed at this point he would, he next needed to figure out what to do. If Julan had not run off his next step would have been to leave the boat and find whoever was in charge. In hindsight he knew that to be a founder, one of them who would talk to him... But would it be that simple. Before everyone had been called to him by the craziness, but now he needed to work out how to deal with things more amicably.

Getting as prepared as he could Moritz dressed, which basically meant putting on his sandals and grabbing his pack. He already had his suit on he usually wore, and the rest of his odd belongings would be offloaded later. Not that he had a ton of stuff, Moritz lived relatively lightly even moving from another city, but he still had some odds and ends he kept and had not left in Lhavit.

With that done Moritz got ready to disembark by heading up top of the boat, waving to Julan and confirming one last time he was going to keep his promise and stay behind. Once there he had nothing to do but wait as the boat neared the docks, and run back through his own memories within his memories. While for a human he was still quite young, back then he had been even younger and young even by most Kelvic standards... Which would not make his task any easier. But he knew he had to make his knowledge known, and so he prepared to do the task at hand... Namely telling others about Morwen, though in a more private setting than the prior time it had occurred.

WC: 320
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes