Closed A Lost Day Dawned[Maya Frostfawn]

Moritz and Maya meet while wandering Sunberth...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

A Lost Day Dawned[Maya Frostfawn]

Postby Moritz Craven on August 27th, 2023, 4:32 pm

Looking back at Maya, who he believed was a woman, he pondered her for a few moments before turning back to the task at hand and beginning to walk forward. Namely making sure neither of them were attacked, and that they kept to a good route at getting where they were going. Preferably a nice open sunny route without any unexpected new buildings blocking their path. There were few places in Sunberth the Kelvic could truly relax, if any. Even at his home he had to keep on guard a bit, watching for anyone trying to encroach on his domain.

It was one of the reasons he so enjoyed going to the Outpost. Despite it being even hotter than Sunberth and drier than Syka, with how rules were enforced there he could finally relax a bit and let down his guard. Here though he was on guard and tense, and the stress was slowly accumulating in him as time went on. This made Moritz a bit jumpy to say the least, and when he tensed and spun his body around while bringing his hands up in a defensive stance only to see a old woman eyeing him and walking by a pace or two away he slowly let his body calm down. To be fair she had gotten rather close unexpectedly in passing, though Moritz was unsure if she had been intending anything or had just walked a bit too close in passing them.

"Uh, sorry."

After a quick apology Moritz turned back to Maya for a moment, giving her a shrug as the aged woman huffed and cursed under her breath while giving Moritz some side eye and walking off.

"Anyway. I mean, that is true, its gonna depend on specific things. And a guard dog might act as a deterrent... But I think it'd only do so much. I'm pretty sure I could take out a dog by myself easily enough, and I'm only half decent. Anyone skilled, unlike those kids earlier, is not gonna be stopped by a dog. Doesn't matter how devoted they are, a dogs only gonna be able to do so much."

At her simple words Moritz simply shrugged again, coming to the decision that the woman was avoiding the question rather than answering it badly. Which admittedly made some sense, her not trusting some random person five chimes after they met even if he did try to help her.

"Eh, I'm pretty tough. I don't suppose I've had much worse than some bruises here and there and everywhere... A lot of bruises... But I've not really been hacked on before, broken anything, or such. Well, nothing that still remains a wound..."

Here Moritz was lost in thought for a moment, rubbing at his neck with his unarmored hand. For a moment he thought back to the feeling of having his hand sliced off, the numbness setting in before his throat was cut open and his head left his body... Before slowly fading out of the world... But then he had woken up, the pain having been real but the injuries not remaining. That of course had not been a normal occasion, seeing as he had been stuck in a magical time loop of the same day and died several times quite painfully. Likely the Nuit would think he meant something else here, not knowing the full story and unlikely to guess what he meant, but in truth that was what Moritz was thinking back on.

"But like I said, I like to plan, work things out in advance. I don't expect to get hacked up, but I would prefer to make plans in advance in case it does happen so I'm prepared either way. Like with asking you for aid if I need it. It all opens up my chances, and gives me more room to maneuver."

Between Moritz memories of dying painfully and Maya's own words that were quite dark, the two hung in silence for a bit before another question the woman had for him brought his attention back to her.

"The Drunken Fish? Uh, I'd need to show you to be specific, but its in or near the docks area of Sunberth. If you came into the city by boat, chances are you've been pretty close to it. Not a ton of locals there, mostly seaman and such, but it gets plenty of business. Father Manowar runs the place. He's one of those names to watch for, not as scary as Goldfinger but not one to mess with. As for the cemetary, uh its up near the ridge, on the outskirts of Sunberth close to the coast. I think North of the docks area... Just look in that general area with lots of hills and cliffs leading to the shore, bit of an overlook, and you'll end up there. Can't really get to the coast from there what with the cliffs, which I suppose is why the docks are on the lower land to the South of it."

Of course Maya not knowing much about the cemetery was clear, since her having the idea of stealing a body from there was a rather bad one with the caretaker running the place in mind. But not knowing that about the place, it likely seemed much more reasonable. But then it being Sunberth, clearly someone had to be watching the bodies or else they would all end up being dug up and sold off like any other wares.

"As for how long I've been here, not terribly long. I arrived back in... Uh... Fall 522. So a bit less than a year ago. Though considering I've stayed employed and have a decent home after that time, I'd say I've been productive since then. And there are plenty of parts of Sunberth I don't know well, but a few I do. Either from exploring, or work. I know the docks half decently, and the way to the market we are going to. Other than that, and the ridge area where I call home, I don't think I know all that much."

Walking along Moritz focused mostly on where they were going, talking in spurts in between keeping vigilant. When they got to this interaction they went straight... And then at this one turned left... Which made the market this way... And then a right....

"Ah, what about you? How long have you been here? Ah, and I think... Yep, we are about there. Not as good as the stuff at the Outpost, but pretty decent a place by Sunberth standards."

After asking his question Moritz pointed as they rounded a corner, and shortly off in the distance the market Moritz had been mentioning could be seen. Being the Castle Commons Marketplace it was a older building made of mortared stone unlike many other areas of Sunberth with less permanent materials.

WC: 1,147
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Maya Frostfawn on September 13th, 2023, 9:07 pm

Maya sighed. "I suppose you're right... there are simply too many variables to consider and so many dogs you'd ever want to keep. I imagine, however, that they'd work better in a pack, especially if they grew up and were trained together or in a larger group." A thoughtful pause, time for her walking companion to speak. "You've been quite lucky then. It's uncommon for someone accustomed to fighting to go so long without acquiring a serious injury... or their untimely demise." She smiled softly, her eyes glimmering as she walked along. Her feet shuffling across the earth, scraping the dirt beneath her soles with each step she took toward a destination she could not name. "But if you are hacked up, how much could you possibly do? No matter what plans you had lain?" A pause. "If, for example, I cut through the back of your knee, severing tendons and ligaments, and all those little muscles and things that carry your blood throughout your body. How would you move? What could you do other than cry out for help in a city that is unlikely to provide it? You're more likely to get stabbed for your display of weakness, your throat slit, and your belongings stolen than anything else." A pause. "The same if you had your throat split--gurgle, gurgle, dead. Or your lungs cut into... I sharp intake of breath, I'd think, like a gasp before you more than likely bit the dust." Her smile widened. "I think you get the idea... my point is, there are simply some things there's no way to prepare for, and some things you simply cannot respond to because you'd be either dead or incapacitated."

Maya fell silent, listening to both his response and descriptions. "I think I know the place, although I didn't arrive in the city by sea. What about you? How did you get here?" She smiled. "You know more than me, and perhaps, more than most, since many don't seem to last long here. Either they die, are enslaved, or move on. Wouldn't you say?" She should probably do that... move on... but where would she go next? The world wasn't exactly what you would call welcoming for someone like her, for the most part, there were of course, exceptions, and she wasn't exactly suited for travel, nor did she have the coin even if she was. "Not long. Not even a full season yet." A pause. " I suppose that'll do." She wasn't sure what that meant, considering how poor Sunberth's standards appeared to be, but she assumed she was about to find out, as her guide had just pointed to an older, mortared stone building not far from where they were currently walking. "Would you say their prices are fair?" She asked. "Or should we expect the worst of the people here too?"
Maya Frostfawn
Player

Words: 196784
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2023, 1:52 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on November 3rd, 2023, 12:00 am

Considering the womans words, Moritz paused in thought for a bit before responding. At face value he did not think her idea was too bad, but he still felt it would have some trouble.

"Well, I suppose that is true. But I imagine not just anyone could train a whole pack of dogs and properly control them. And seeing as your talking about just picking this up, it doesn't sound like you have much experience in the task. So I'd recommend starting with just one, seeing how that goes, and learning from that before moving on to bigger things. I mean when learning to use a sword you don't go in right away taking on an entire gang. You learn to fight against one, and then two, and so on until you've got the ability to match such a challenge."

Moritz, being who he was, could not help but filter bits of his own leanings in training in combat into his examples, though he believed they would make sense either way. Knowing how to fight after all was not required to understand such basic concepts and examples.

At her next comment Moritz could not help but smile a bit knowingly while looking at the woman he walked with, and slightly shaking his head. What would sound like a joke or teasing comment was actual true, but of course to anyone hearing it the words would sound like a joke.

"Who said I haven't? Died, that is. Lucky for me though, it didn't stick. And honestly chalk that up to most of my fighting being against people weaker than me or as strong as me but not stronger. Not that I have not fought anyone stronger than me, but its only been in spars and lessons and such where they were trying to teach me while get a workout not really hurt me. I'm careful about who I pick a fight with, and who I get help with or run from. Trust me, if someone powerful comes up and tries to pick a fight, I have no problem with turning tail and racing away as fast as my legs can carry me."

When her words moved on to medical jargon Moritz was left confused, unclear on what the woman was saying or trying to mean.

"Uh, whats ten dons? Or a ligs a ment? Whatever, I'm flesh all the same, that is true. So if I get hacked up, I'd die. Thats why I stay vigilant around people here, so they don't get the chance to cut whatever you said things. Even if it means startling old ladies because I think their trying to come at me. No ones cutting my throat open again if I can help it. Regardless of how easy it would be to do those things you mentioned, actually doing those to me would be tricky unless I let you. Which I don't plan to do. Thats like saying if only a horse sat on your head you would die. But would you just sit there and let it happen? No. So unless you have some way to get me in a position to do those things, it isn't happening. I'd break your face in before you got a chance. And your arguments moot if you can't get me in that position."

The woman, ever asking more questions, asked another, informing Moritz of something while asking something in turn. Clearly the woman had a desire to learn things about him, but seeing as none of it seemed dangerous he did not see a point in hiding it. He was left to wonder though why she wanted to know.

"I got here by boat. Wait, does anyone come to Sunberth not by boat? I didn't think it had any real land routes, roads, or anything. If you did not come by sea how did you get here? And honestly what I know is pretty limited, mostly to the docks and areas near it, and a few other places like this market I go to for work business often. Other than that, I don't know much at all. And even with those places what I know is limited. "

Considering the route they had taken, Moritz looked back, realizing he would soon need to back track. However he had gotten the woman to the market, and they had exchanged greetings and such, so he felt like it had been a useful exchange.

"Fair prices? Depends on what your comparing it to. Other cities with proper trade? Or The Outpost? No. But for Sunberth, its not bad. Your probably safer inside there than out on the street, at least as long as your a paying patron. But I don't think they take kindly to troublemakers or those with an empty coin purse. So I would advise doing your business, and not causing trouble. Ah, but I should probably get out of here. I showed you the market, and got you there safe, but I was not actually planning to go inside. Just scouting out the route. So I should probably get out of here. But it was interesting meeting you. Next time, eh, medical stuff lady?"

WC: 865
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Maya Frostfawn on November 3rd, 2023, 3:48 pm

"That makes sense," Maya replied. "Although, when fighting larger groups, I suppose the problem becomes at least part one of stamina. When you think about it, if you're fighting people with swords or bladed weapons, only so many can come at you at once. Otherwise, they'd simply get in each other's way. So, really you wouldn't be fighting more than a small group at once, and then you'd have to keep going and outlast them. In the case of projectiles, it's a bit different, since those can be fired from a distance without anyone truly risking the lives of their comrades." She shrugged as they moved on, then smiled. "That seems like a good policy, and the one most likely to allow you to last in a city such as this one." She paused, listened, fought the urge to tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear. Although she could not fight the urge to pick some lint off her attire and flick it onto the ground, brush some dirt away from her grubby clothes. "I think everyone arrives by foot, in the end," she said. A pause. "And that's still far more than me, so from my perspective, you seem quite knowledgable on the nature of this city." A small smile crossed her lips at that point. The Kelvic was a funny sort of creature, at least from her perspective.

She nodded. "Thank you for letting me know, and for showing me the way here. I will be sure to keep my trip short and to the point." She waved at the Kelvic as he departed into the distance, watching him go before turning toward the market as though she were going to go in. But she had so little to her name, in fact, she hadn't counted recently, so she may very well have nothing to her name at all. With that fact and the Kelvic's words in mind, she decided to turn tail and head back home. She could return another day when she had more coin, and more time on her hands to work with. She was pretty sure she could remember the place the Kelvic had taken her to and do her shopping in the future. Or, she could ask him to show her the way to the Outpost, which he said had fairer prices. That may be for the best. In any case, she had to wait, and as the sun set on her shoulders, she steadily made her way back home, where she would spend the rest of her day and night awake, lost in her own thoughts of days gone by, endless days to come, and the world she had left behind.

Word Count: 451 Words
Maya Frostfawn
Player

Words: 196784
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2023, 1:52 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Previous