Closed Only Time Will Tell (Lance) Pt 2

Taz and Lance continue their evening.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

Only Time Will Tell (Lance) Pt 2

Postby Tazrae on November 13th, 2023, 4:27 am

Tazrae hadn’t mentioned growing up with Svefra. Had Lance mentioned his thoughts out loud, she would have corrected him. She hadn’t lived her entire life in Syka and certainly hadn’t grown up there, but she had run into numerous Svefra since relocating. They were the ones she interacted the most with – cooked for, hired for extra help, and went sailing with. And they almost always made sure they made landfall on a Tenday. Shameless opportunists are what they actually were and she would have openly accused any of them of being so had the situation arose. And they would have owned it, naturally.

The thought brought a smile to Tazae’s face.

She answered his next question, just after the collision, with a simple nod letting him know she was okay. It wasn’t part of the game, but a simple courtesy. Lance had been watching everything with great interest, especially eyeing the weapons and clothing. Taz guessed from the way he looked at them that such things weren’t available in Sunberth or at least weren’t easily acquired. She could understand that though slavery, perhaps, was a ton more common. The strong ruled Sunberth while the weak served the strong.

They got settled into the room for the night, each laying their offerings on a small table Tazrae dragged out of one decorative corner and placed in front of the couch that sat before the roaring fire. If nothing else, the placement would keep the food that was meant to be warm, gently warming. She built up the fire as he fussed around putting things out and laying out their small feast that would sustain them through a night of long conversation. Tazrae left her backpack on the other bed that Lance didn’t claim and then kicked off her sandals to be more comfortable. She padded barefoot around the spacious room and felt the acute absence of Ixam. Even a snake or two wouldn’t be unwelcome. But the rented suite felt… cold, empty, without the windows thrown open and Syka’s life sounding all around it. It acutely reminded her that she was in a foreign land.

“Another question, huh? Of course, I have one.” She said, then turned to study him to see if he was serious about her asking a somewhat serious question. He seemed to be open to it, so she spoke slowly but clearly. “What is your greatest personal flaw as you see it?” She asked, wondering how well he knew himself or if he’d even answer the question at all.

Tazrae settled on one end of the couch, leaving the other for Lance. It gave her an opportunity to study his features by the firelight. It wasn’t late, not really, but the light was dropping fast as it always did in the desert. The firelight was starting to throw shadows, which was a perfect atmosphere for good conversation.

She carefully poured each of them a goblet of wine and surveyed the spread before them. The woman had been picky about her selections, leaving off fruits and vegetables for more exotic things she couldn’t get in Syka. The jungle fruit was some of the best around and nothing in The Outpost would remotely taste as well as things she sourced locally at home. So instead, she had purchased already baked berry pies and hand tarts. There were rolled up meat offerings that had some sort of exotic spread within them. She cut bread into slices and buttered them liberally, then spread with exotic cooler-temperature berry jams that she had no access too. Her one cavate was fresh cherries. She’d bought three kinds. Seeing if she could get cherry trees to grow in the tropics would be a challenge. Taz had no expertise at botany or gardening, so she wasn’t sure it was feasible. And one thing she noticed was that with gardeners, they were only experts on their areas, not far-flung locations that may or may not take to their plants kindly.

It was something that she had to figure out… a problem for another time. Until then though, she’d enjoy the cherries she’d bought and maybe would stop by that particular vendor to get more before she went back to the jungle. Leaning forward, Tazrae plucked up one of the whitish red ones, intrigued that it was paler than other cherries and savored it slowly as she pulled the flesh off the pit with her teeth and slid it discretely out of her mouth along with the stem. Going back for more, she continued to surveying Lance.

He was older than she was, Taz decided. There were lines on his face and a chisel to his features that whispered of an age she hadn’t quite achieved yet. Maybe he just lived harder though. Sunberth wasn’t known for its fresh air and abundant food. From what she’d heard, it was a lot of dirt and dubious supplies in the way of fresh food… if that was even a thing.

“I told you that I would tell you a story… one that was about the end of the world.” She started off, not sure if he’d heard of the tale of The Empire of Suva and the fall of its kingdom. “This all happened five hundred and twenty-three years ago. There were only two kingdoms, The Empire of Suva and the Alahean Empire. There was no Suvan Sea in those days. Instead, the continent was one massive place divided in two. The western kingdom was The Suvan Empire and they were highly militaristic. Every one of their citizens served in the military and gave two to five years of their life to it before they started their adulthood. Some made careers of it. The other empire was made of mages, and dominated the east coast. They were constantly at war. It was a brutal time, but also a very technological superior time. They had things we could only dream of. They fought until the Queen of Alahea, Kova, agreed to settle the war by marrying the King of Suvan Empire. They came together in the capital city of Suva for the wedding. It’s important to note that Suva was in the exact geographical center of the continent of Mizahar. The Wedding was a lavish affair and was carried out without incident. People came from all over the world to attend it, thankful that there would finally be peace and one united kingdom.” Taz said softly, leaning in and plucking a slice of dark rye bread up from the table and dressing it in butter and elderberry jam. She nibbled on it before she continued.

“It wasn’t until that night that things took a dark turn. Galifer Odalah, the Emperor took his new queen to bed and found out she was not a virgin. His rage was unthinkable, and he beat her almost to death before he impaled the beautiful young queen to the gates of Suva.” Taz said softly, the darkening room around them adding an air of almost supernatural to the atmosphere. She liked the affect as continued on with her story.

“There was a hush that fell over the city at what Galifer did. No one knew what was happening, and they’d be dead before they realized the truth. You see, Kova’s lover wasn’t just some handsome mage or a noble from her court. Kova’s lover was Ivak, the God of Fire.” Tazrae said softly. She took a drink of her wine, a bite of her rye bread, and chewed thoughtfully. The Sykan tilted her head as if to decide how to proceed, before she continued.

“When Ivak realized what happened, he went insane. He was in love with the young queen, and she’d gifted him with a child.” The woman continued. “In his madness, he destroyed the world. He threw up volcanos and blew the city of Suva from the face of the world, leaving only a massive crater that flooded from the world’s oceans. Our oldest records say that the land heaved, the seas dropped as they flooded inland, and incredibly powerful wild djed was released across the world.” Tazrae said.

“Most of the people living that day were dead by the day’s end. The others fled, most taking shelter beneath the ground as the world rearranged itself above. Djed storms swept the land, unpurposed magic transforming and exposing those left venerable until they changed or died. Crops were gone. Fresh water turned to salt. The land mourned Kova’s death and there was no stopping Ivak’s pain and rage.” Tazrae said, taking another swallow of wine.

“Finally, the Gods banded together to take Ivak down. The God of Peace sacrificed his life to imprison Ivak in a volcano to the north called Mt. Inarta. It’s the home of the Inarta and the city of Wind Reach where giant eagles live. He remained there for five hundred and twenty years… until three years ago when mortals followers of his released him back into the world.” Taz said thoughtfully, gesturing around. “That was what caused the big djed storm that hit the world three years ago. It was Ivak’s release from his prison.” The Storyteller added. She’d heard the tale over and over again from Svefra. They were fond of it, and told it often especially on the anniversary of the Valterrian. “They call the death of the world The Valterrian. We remember it the first day of spring each year.” Tas said softly.

She picked up her wineglass and drank deeply from it before leaning forward and selecting a bit of sliced chicken – the red coated tyle Lance had picked out. The young Sykan popped it into her mouth and smiled in appreciation. “That was a good choice. It’s delicious.” She commented before taking another sip of wine.

“Can you imagine? Five generations passed. The first and second generations withstood all those djed storms that came erratically and were not predictable. They had to live through the weather stabilizing and the earth settling. I think they did it mostly below ground or in far flung locations well away from the center of the Suvan Sea. I think about it, often, when I sail….what’s beneath me. There are whole cities buried in that ocean.” Taz said thoughtfully.

“And now… as part of the fifth generation after it… people barely remember.” Taz quietly spoke, shaking her head. “They easily forget how volatile the Gods can be.” She added.

Words: 1740
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Lance Windhelm on November 13th, 2023, 6:19 pm

Lance sat back on the coach and listened to her question. His greatest flaw? He put his hand to his chin and thought for a moment. His mother would say it was his curiosity. “Dangerous” She called it. Especially before he had left on his little adventure. He thought about what they were doing right now. Sleeping maybe, or sitting and watching the sun go down. Where he was in the world and how far things were apart were far from his understanding, but he rather liked the thought of them being at peace. In a way he felt that he needed to think of them at peace, if he had left and they fell on hard times, he wouldn’t forgive himself for not helping them in some way.

“I think my curiosity. My mother used to call it dangerous. When I first told her that I wanted to travel and see the world, she cried all night. Thinking I’d end up dead somewhere, or alone and poor. But I needed to leave, something in me just… pushed him, you know?” He asked, but without waiting for an answer he continued, “In a way she was right. Not soon after I left the ship I was on got caught in a storm. We could have all been lost.” He gave a half smile.

He wasn’t happy where he had ended up, but that was life. Sometimes reality smacks you in the face and other times if greets you with wide arms. He tried to take the things in stride. It wasn’t like nothing positive hadn’t come out of his ship wreck. He had meet Rhaus shortly after, and had gained abilities he had only dreamed off before. But being stuck in Sunberth wasn’t part of his plan. He had to make moves to get out of the place. They seemed to elude him at every turn.

The firelight danced across the room in an eerie glow as Taz told the story of the god and the queen, the destruction of the world. It showed Lance, once again, how big the world was, and just how small he was. It was humbling. Gods becoming men, such power that could destroy everything. He couldn’t imagine having such a thing at his fingertips, but a part of him wanted it, needed it. Only then could he show everyone who he really was, who he could really be.

“Ivak and the queen, had a child? Or that is what Ivak wanted?” He tried to clarify. With a god, anything was possible, he couldn’t imagine that the god and the woman had a child that same night. The whole generation murdered by a mad and angry god. “He caused the Djed storm three years ago, or that was his followers?” He asked.

He had known people that died in that storm. The sea took some of them, buildings falling took others. Lance and his family got away without being touched. He was glad.
Lance grabbed a peace of bread and buttered it, then taking a bite and popping a bit of fruit in his mouth.

“I wonder if it was the gods that made us forget.” He said. The fire was in his gaze as he let his imagination go. Thinking about how beings that powerful walked the planet, and how they bothered with Humans at all.

“I have heard stories about pirates on the Suvan sea.” Lance said. “One sailor told me that one night, he was at the look out of his vessel, up on the crows nest. Their were two of them up there and they where arguing about the best food aboard the ship.” Lance new from experience that the food aboard a vessel wasn’t the greatest, full of dried bread and more rum and wine than you can handle. Water was one of the first things to go when out on sea, and win and rum were better than drinking salt water, not to mention it was thought to keep illness away. “A pirate ship came up from behind them, they hadne’t noticed and sounded no alarm. Blasts echoed through the ship as cannons took out some of the men on board and blasted through the hall. The captain was an Akalak.” Lance actually didn’t know what that was, but the name of the race tuck in his mind. “He tortured a lot of the crew for fun. Took what he wanted then set the ship on fire with the crew still on board.” Lance finished.

It was a story that Lance had learned while at sea, before he had landed in Sunberth. He ate another peace of bread and a peace of the fruit. He had to work on his story telling. Using the room and getting all of the events in place, and at the right time.

“I think they called him Captain Black.” Lance said. It s crazy how much evil was in the world. How much people wanted to hurt others.

Lance started to think of that book that Taz had said he could read. But pushed the thoughts away. It was time to relax and tell stories. He hoped that he told his own good enough.

He shoved a large bite in his mouth and watched the flames dance.

WC: 884
Lance Windhelm
Player

Words: 74164
Joined roleplay: October 21st, 2023, 7:51 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tazrae on November 15th, 2023, 4:39 am

Tazrae only nodded when Lance said his greatest flaw was his curiosity. She didn’t consider someone having a questioning nature and drive to learn an actual flaw at all. Surely, he had other shortcomings that far eclipsed the fact that he was curious? But maybe he didn’t want to speak of them to someone he just met or maybe he was unaware of his own personal flaws. Taz knew far too many people that were blind to their actual nature and personal failings. She’d once been one of those people. But her flaws had reared up to bite her in the ass more than once. It was dangerous to be blind to ones’ own nature, good or bad.

They didn’t say much after that. Instead, Taz filled the silence with her story of Kova and Galifer… and Ivak loosing his sanity. It was such a big story, affecting everyone in the world and molding the land to what it was today. But she wondered about the smaller stories within the actual story. “I often wonder about the stories surrounding Kova and Ivak. How did they meet? How did the whole of Alahea not know Kova had Ivak’s child? There are god-touched walking around among us that are descended from those two. I don’t know the truth of it, but many of the stories say it was so… that a child was smuggled out of Suva before the wedding and the Valterrian happened.” Taz said thoughtfully, smiling into the flames of the fire. “The main story is the main story, but I bet all the events that lead up to the almost death of the world was equally interesting. Too bad the whole of Alahea was destroyed. There are no records that I know of. We just have tales passed down. I don’t know if they really had a child or not… but I suspect the tale is true. The story was that Kova’s babe by Ivak was smuggled out of the Suva Palace by servants the night before her wedding. All the stories I’ve heard said the child was still an infant, not a toddler or an older child. But I don’t know… not for sure. You’d have to ask a Seer or one of Ivak’s priests.” Taz suggested.

She just liked the story. In a way it was all their story… and how humanity survived despite horrible odds against it.

“That’s the story of Aftermath. Evidently when Ivak was freed from the prison in Mt. Skyinarta at Wind Reach, everyone suddenly remembered there was a God among them imprisoned in the depths of the mountain. They had no memory of him before that time. I cannot imagine not having a God of Fire and Emotion. The entire world knew about him except for the Inartians at Win d reach.” Taz added. “When they finally remembered Ivak, the twins that own Aftermath left Mt. Skyinarta and ended up at The Outpost. So many people were traumatized by that wild djedstorm. Many people died in places that they figured would be safe.” Taz sighed softly and rubbed her temple lightly.

She reached for her wine, glad for the strong liquid. She took a drink and studied Lance, listening to his questions. “No, it was a follower of his that sought him out in Wind Reach, deep down in the gizzard of the mountain, and brought down his prison. A powerful mage. I’ve never heard his name though. When Ivak was released, that’s what caused the djedstorm… it was the last of Sylir’s power released back into the world. A whole bunch of things happened. Mathias, a very wise man I know, said that Sylir’s mortal son reached out and captured that power and ascended to Godhood to replace the God of Peace and Civilization. It was a sign we are healing and growing stronger in the world. There’s a temple in Sylira that one can go visit the new God if they are lucky.” Taz said, having heard that from the mouth of a Syliran Knight who had been visiting her Inn on vacation. “The Temple of The All Gods, I think it was called.” Taz said, tilting her head to try and decide if he had been actually asking her a question or just commenting.

“There was always a question about Ivak being calmer and sane. It seems he was, though there was some question about it before he was released.” She said quietly.

Taz shifted on the couch, folding her legs under her and leaning back. She set her wineglass down and stretched her arms upwards before she settled back into a listening pose. Lance told his story about pirates and Tazrae nodded when he was done. She’d never heard of a pirate named Black, but then again, she was usually just among Svefra who owned the Suvan Waters. “I’m originally from Riverfall where the Akalaks are. They are an all-male race. It’s said they have two souls in each body. I’m not sure why that is, but I didn’t enjoy my childhood growing up among them. They have some very specific views on women.” She said, making a face. “I’m not surprised one tortured sailors.” Such things were a waste in Tazrae’s mind, especially if there was no reasoning to it. “Did you ever hear in that story why that ship was attacked and why the sailors were killed or tortured? Did the ship have something aboard Captain Black wanted?” She asked, trying to draw more details out of Lance.

He had the makings of a good storyteller for sure. He told her just enough of the story to leave her curious for more of it. Hence she asked him the questions.

Taz reached out and picked up one of the little hand pies filled with baked cherries and started nibbling on that. She’d listen if Lance had more answers about the attack and torture. But when he’d settled in and decidedly finished, she’d tell the other story she promised him.

“So, I told you I’d tell you about The Outpost too. It’s an important story to know.” Taz added, looking thoughtful before she launched into it. “Before I can tell you that though, I need to tell you other stories so you can understand the one I want to tell you.” She grinned at the twisted logic of the situation…. Needing to tell a story in order for another story to make sense.

“There are layers to our world… kind of like an onion has layers.” Taz said thoughtfully, then furrowed her brow, needing a better example. “Think of a watermelon. If you cut one in half you get an internal huge pinkish red fleshy part, then there’s a thin layer of white which is then enclosed in green rind.” Taz said, pantomiming cutting open a watermelon and indicating to her imaginary melon where all the layers were.

“That internal pink layer is the Ukalas.. .its where the Gods and Goddesses dwell. We can go there, but not unescorted. The white part is something called the Chavena. It’s like a million little tiny filaments that attach the red to the green layers. You can actually see them as filaments if you look closely enough at a watermelon rind.” Taz said thoughtfully, before she continued onward with what she decided she wanted to tell him about the situation.

“Anyhow, the green covering? The rind? That’s the mortal realm where we live. Each of us has a chavi… its like a silvery cord that exists in the Chavena that connects us from our mortal bodies to the realm of the divine. The Chavi holds our memories, of the lives we are living now and of all the lives we’ve lived since we’ve come into existence. Now that pink flesh… that huge realm… is supposed to be off limits to mortals. It’s the divine in its most pure form. The gods live there, in bubbles they carve out, that float around within that realm, changing size and shape at will. Everything in those bubbles they control. They can will a change with just a blink of an eye or a momentary passing thought or whim. They can make day turn to night. They can change the weather. They can make buildings bigger or smaller. They can make the very air that’s breathable in their bubbles turn acidic and toxic.” Taz said thoughtfully.

“Humans, way back when, stole the knowledge of these ‘bubbles’ and how to make them from the Gods. They turned it into a magical discipline called Dominion. So now people that know those secrets, that lost discipline, can carve out their own spheres of influence in the Ukalas… the spheres are called Dominions. And the mages themselves are called Domineers. They can control every aspect of their Dominions much like the Gods could. If you happen to enter one, even unknowingly, you are at great risk from that mage. They can literally kill you within their Dominions with just a simple thought.” Taz said softly.

“The Gods are not happy about this. Good Domineers can craft Dominions, take over other mage’s dominions, or even breathe life into old dominions that have been abandoned. And there are times that one dominion will crash into another and that can potentially be disastrous. They can end up destroying each other.” The Sykan affirmed.

“I know a Domineer and she brought me here with her once, where she painted a blood rune on my forehead. It allowed me to see things the way she saw them for a number of bells. And once I did, I couldn’t unsee what she revealed to me. This place… The Outpost… is one huge dominion. When you look at it through a domineers eyes… the walls, the floor, the ceiling, even the sky is made up of scrolling runes. They look like tiny glowing bits of fire or lightening. They just outline everything and define it magically. That’s why this place makes me so uncomfortable… not this room, but the entire Outpost.” Taz said softly.

“We are utterly in Xyna’s control here. She can think will us dead and we would… because its her Dominion, and everything in it is within her control.” Tazrae said softly, then glanced at Lance. “We have no true security here. And that’s the dark truth of The Outpost.” Taz said gently, wanting the other man to understand.

“That’s two stories. You owe me one now… and a question.” She added, grinning.

Words: 1753
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Previous