The Knight Stalker [Markus]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Ash'eny on February 4th, 2011, 7:43 pm

Timestamp: 7th of Winter, AV 510

This is the second day that Ash'eny had found this man. The first day, the sixth, he stumble upon him in the bazaar. He didn't look like much, a young kid, several years less than Ash'eny, but he held an authoritative presence about him. The common folk almost respected him, and the knights, they acknowledged him. Not quite as one of their own, but as if he was a little brother to each and every one of them. Ash'eny had been stricken with a devious fever ever since that meeting with the seductress Jischa, the short blond with magic in her hips. Ash'eny had been transformed, perhaps not for the better, but for the more pleasing to himself. Today, however, he saw the man again. The 'almost-knight' of Syliras. He wore not the typical armor, but he was armed. Still, Ash'eny was as well, and if it wasn't for his lone connection to Tucesi, he would be as far from Knighthood as possible. He was a criminal, albeit a confident and sly one.

If this man was a lawman of any sort, Ash'eny decided he would have some fun. He had no choice, he had to please himself. Ash'eny hastened his steps, following the man into the Stone Gardens. Ash'eny took notice of his footsteps, they were soft, trained from years in Sunberth, seasons of thieving in Syliras, but he wanted attention now. His feet eased up, hitting the ground with each step. The stones collided with his soles to make an awful pitchless drumming. He was following Markus, very closely. If this man didn't notice him, being the only person following his every step, then he surely was no real warrior, no real knight, that or he was a fool. Ash'eny had to admit, he met the occasional idiot in the ranks of Knights. They were always, without exceptions, dangerous. Even a child risen in a family of knights were bound to be trained in some form of swordsmanship. As such, in case this man was jumpy, Ash'eny was prepared to flee in a heartbeat.

Still, knight or not, nobody in their right mind would assault someone within the castle walls just out of suspicion. That had serious repercussions.
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Words: 195301
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2010, 8:17 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Markus Andres on February 7th, 2011, 1:51 am

Markus walked through the halls of the castle city. Dodging the civilians and the occasional (but naturally) higher ranking knight within the order. Markus was clad in the light version of their armor. His daily training had not required the use of full plate that day, thus, he could move more freely. By his left side a large bastard blade hung sheathed. An heirloom from his grandfathers time. Opposite the blade, the newest addition to Markus' gear hung, a dagger he had borrowed from the knights. Markus felt quite safe within the walls of Syliras, and if he had not been out training, he would probably have been unarmed.

Markus suddenly got an eerie feeling that someone was watching him. Perhaps even following him. Perhaps a pick pocket had singled him out as a target. But that was unlikely, he was well armed and armored. One would be quite bold if to steal from the knights. Markus 'accidentally' knocked into someone, quick to apologize and in the 'confusion' he took a quick glance around with a sheepish smile on his lips. Looking for someone who were taking a bit too much interest in the little accident.

"I am sorry, ser." Markus said politely and bowed his head a little. Continuing on his way, having made a mental note of the people who had been behind him. Markus had been planning to go to the stone gardens. To pay his respects to the knights before him. Now, it could double as a more private place to approach his stalker.

"Why are you following me?" Markus said with no hostility in his voice. Just curiosity.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Ash'eny on February 7th, 2011, 2:17 am

"Following you?" Ash'eny chuckled, the smooth grin on his face told that he had no intention of truly hiding he had been following this Knight (to be) by any means. No, he wasn't going to say 'I was planning on having some jolly good fun at your expense' or anything of the like, it would expose his motive and ultimately ruin his chances at a little fun. "I'm sorry, yes I was. I have been in Syliras for almost three seasons, and I still have a strong fascination with you Knights. I discriminate not because I am immoral and cast you, or the Knights, below others, but because I respect you, what you do, what you know, what you stand for, and think more of you than your peers, and myself." Ash'eny gave a crude swift bow before giving Markus a quick wink.

"It's not often I have the courage to speak to a knight, though I have often desired nothing but an honest conversation and a genuine friendship. My name is Tolby, and you made introducing myself a good deal easier." Whether Markus bought it or not, Ash'eny extended his hand, empty of weapons (though his mace was visible at his side from under his black cloak. He meant to shake, the official greeting of men.

After the friendly handshake offer, whether Markus took it or not, Ash'eny would begin to slowly pace across the Stone Gardens, hoping that Markus would follow in step, or remain by his side as he idly moved. "It's a serene place, is it not? So many memories must be buried here, even though no bodies lie in the soil underneath these stones, nor Syliras. Each stone carved with a name, another man or woman, perhaps an Akalak Knight or a Human like myself, has his name forever etched onto the stone conveniently placed so that a more disrespectful observer could easily walk on top of them." Ash'eny was careful not to walk on top of the bubble-shaped stones, but rather, on the small walkways that separated one plane of stones from the neighboring plane of stones. Ash'eny peered down, taking a moment to crouch and run his fingers across one. "Nayleah Sunbrave. I'd say she was a brave Drykas. Forever she is to be remembered. May your next life come free of pain, sorrow, and bloodshed. We love and miss you Lady Sunbrave." Ash'eny moved to his hands and knees, and kissed the stone lightly, then promptly rose to his feet again, looking back at Markus again. Ash'eny was certain that nobody paid respects to the dead like he did now. The thing was, Ash'eny didn't even know the name on the stone, and the chances he had any relatives here, were too remote of even existing.

"Tell me friend, if you can find it in your heart to consider me so. How many years have you lived? I will see my twenty-fourth Spring Season after Winter passes." Ash'eny started to walk again, staying on that small paved roadway so that he did not carelessly trample the memorials below. "I pray you will forgive my intrusion, my following you. I wished to speak to a knight that seemed more my age, one I might be more comfortable around to interrogation. I chose you for these reasons, meant no harm by it.
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Markus Andres on February 9th, 2011, 5:40 am

Markus was honestly surprised at the well-spoken mans response. Flattered by his fascination with the knights and his ongoing show of respect. The bow was quite too much for Markus, not accustomed to being shown such respect. He almost stepped forward and made him stop the bow right away. But Markus' pride purred from deep down and he stood his ground. Allowing the older man to carry out his bow. Still keeping a polite smile on his lips, with reds cheeks, flaming from a mixture of embarrassment and pride.

Markus grabbed Tolby's hand without hesitation. The man had shown him nothing but respect and kindness. He would not dare offend the kind man by refusing a handshake. Markus noted the mace by his side. Thinking there was something peculiar about that.

"Markus Andres, thank you for the kind words, but I am only a squire, not yet a knight." Not wanting to let the man carry on thinking Markus was something he was not. But it would appear it didn't affect the man much as he just paced by Markus, who just watched him for a moment or two before following. Listening to him talk about the fallen knights. Mentioning gender and race. Hinting at how open the knights were, almost uncaring about gender nor race. Only of ability and intention. That was when the young man surprised Markus once again. Speaking first of the name on the stone and then wishing her a better life. Markus felt moved by this man. Wanting to rush over and give the man a tight hug for showing such respect to a woman he seemed not to have known. It almost brought tears to his eyes. He blinked several times to make sure they did not form at the corner of his eyes. The man changed from the past to the present. Turning to the present, or rather, next generation of knights in the form of Markus.

"I am 18, turning 19 during the next summer." He replied. Markus raised a hand to dismiss any needs for an apology. "No need to apologize, Tolby." Markus said with his usual warm smile. But he had noted choice of words. - Interrogation -. A word Markus meant was quite negative sounding. But he dismissed it, probably just a mistake.

"So, what can I help you with?" Markus asked with a curious smile on his lips.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Ash'eny on February 10th, 2011, 4:54 am

Ash'eny gazed into Markus's eyes, pleased that he saw visible embarrassment on the boy. It was as he predicted. Young, prideful, yet not still as stone or hard as a rock. He was not the most hardcore of knights, most were significantly older anyway. "Knight or squire, it matters not. There's only a short time before you are one no longer, and the other is upon you. Ser Markus." Ash'eny grinned as he took Markus's hand, giving it a firm, if not overly strong, shake.

"Eighteen? A bit younger than I expected. You've got every look about you of a grown man. Here, I feel terrible for following you without your consent. Let me take you somewhere for some food. Are you busy? Working perhaps? I'm not so certain about a squires daily duties, but perhaps you'd like to join me? I've got money to spare and nobody to keep me company." Ash'eny smiled again as he gave markus a firm pat on the shoulder. He wasn't sure, just yet, what he was planning to do with Markus. If he declined, Ash'eny was likely to just part ways as if his sole intention was to meet and greet a knight. Who knows, if he agreed, Ash'eny might find something.

He would have to find out a little about Markus first though.
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Markus Andres on February 18th, 2011, 3:33 pm

Markus was a bit surprised when Tolby asked him out for dinner. It seemed a bit strange to him. Markus just flashed him a grin. Feeling truly happy that he had found such a nice guy. It soothed his soul that there were so great guys in Syliras. Even if it was only his uniform the guy was fascinated with, a fact that blew right past Markus' ears. He was happy to have someone stroke his pride like that. Markus patted him back right away and laughed. Wondering if he was making a mistake. He was supposed to be preparing for his quest with the knights. But it had been a while since Markus had last socialized with someone.

"Sure, I'd love to keep you company!" He said in a happy tone of voice. Enjoying the idea of spending the rest of the day in the company of someone who didn't bark orders at him gruffly. "And I have completed my duties for today." Markus explained. "Any particular place you had in mind?" Markus asked him absent minded. Looking around the Stone Garden. Sighing at all the losses the Syliran Knights had had through the years. It seemed that the loss of Lady Sunbrave was just one amongst many. A single soul in a sea of souls lost for the cause of civilization. Syliras was the ideal system. Built on law and honor.

But Markus firmly believed that it was all worth it. If not for those who had already given their lives for the cause, then for those who he would swear to protect. People like Tolby. Innocent young men. Seeking Syliras for protection.

"Tell me, where are you from, Tolby?" He asked the relative stranger. Wondering where he had traveled from to reach Syliras.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Ash'eny on March 1st, 2011, 3:33 am

"Excellent. I hope you don't mind if we pass over the Stallion. I've got a taste for finer food tonight, and I've got the Miza to cover both our meals, even a little to spare." Ash'eny smiled. He was interested in finding out where Markus's morals lay, and should they be the sort of celibacy or chaste, then he wanted to see if he was strong enough to keep up his faith in spite of the temptations offered to him. It was a horrible thing to do, befriending a man just to test his strength or want his downfall, but it was a game that Ash'eny was particularly fancying at that moment. "Do you drink? I mean, not to get drunk, but just to enjoy some alcohol perhaps?" Ash'eny liked the Golden Dragon. The wine was strong, the girls were beautiful. If there was ever a place to bring down a sexually chaste man, it would be there. And, best of all, if Markus had no problem with the place, then Ash'eny could just enjoy his time as another patron.

Ash'eny had already started to walk back into the interior of the Fortress city, destination Golden Dragon. If Markus didn't know where he was leading him by his hints, then he would playfully keep him in the dark until they got there. However, Markus asked him one of the few questions that truly bothered him. Where he was from. Ash'eny's cheerful expression wilted in mere moments as he pondered his answer. He could lie, but it was already too late to hide his loathing to answer. He could refuse to answer, but that would seem suspicious. He decided it would be best to tell the truth, and hope the Knight-to-be wouldn't instantly accuse him of villainy. "I was born and raised in Sunberth. A fact I am far from proud of. I was raised by the streets, I have committed acts that would be horrible crimes elsewhere, and I have paid a price well beyond the debt I owed. I hope you think no less of me with this information. A man like myself has difficulty befriending anyone, but you are kind. I have seen you often, assisting the elderly with trivial tasks for no more than a simple thanks. I find myself drawn to you, you even have a face similar to someone I once cared for."

Ash'eny looked at Markus. He smiled, but it was fake, painfully forced, no even a decent disguise. Markus did have that look about him, he had Tolby's eyes, even the smile was similar. Tolby would never be forgotted by Ash, and to be honest, that was probably the true reason Ash'eny was drawn to Markus. Not because of his noble heart or gentle ways, but because of the resemblance he held to Ash'eny's long-dead friend. It was like Ash'eny wanted to see for himself if his friend had somehow lived on and came to find him here. Ash'eny turned his head back in front of them as they continued to move. Their footsteps pounded against the stone floor and echoed throughout the corridors, blending into the always present, always busy city of Syliras. "Forgive my stares. He was a close friend of mine."
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Markus Andres on March 5th, 2011, 8:22 pm

When Tolby said they were to pass on the Stallion, Markus left eyebrow arched a little. Since that would be the cheapest place to spend a coin on Markus. The other place Markus could think of was the Golden Dragon. A place not known for being cheap. Well. Perhaps on morals. But Markus didn't consider it his lot in life to tell how honest citizens ought to live. With the mention of alcohol, Markus smiled warmly to Tolby. Markus liked to drink in moderation... And the occasional binge drinking. But he didn't have any plans to start binge drinking with Tolby. He would have to present himself as a good example. He was sort of an representative of the knights. He had to be on his best side that day.

"Alcohol does the soul good." Markus said with a glint in his eyes and he gave Tolby a wink. Then the light hearted conversation turned a bit darker in its nature. As Tolby spoke about his past in Sunberth. A place Markus only knew by name. But Tolby made it sound quite bad a place. But what he said about committing horrible crimes, made Markus distrust the man before he realized the folly of that. Thinking back to his own childhood. It would hypocrisy on his past, so he dismissed those immediate thoughts and tried to focus on the present Tolby. The kind man who had approached him out of curiosity and admiration of the knights.

The thought made Markus feel some warmth in his cheeks again especially when he noticed that Tolby was staring at him for a while. Markus wanted to open his mouth and say something to Tolby. To somehow make him stop staring, but Markus was too deep in thoughts by the recent revelation to even speak. With Tolby's apology and subsequent explanation of the stares. Markus felt his heart drop a bit and was reminded of the dangerous world that surrounded them.

"I am sorry to hear and there is no need to apologize." Markus said, hoping to console his newfound friend. Markus tried to say more but instead chose to address an issue brought up earlier. Try to comfort him with his earnest feelings of his past actions.

Markus gave him another warm smile and gave the man a strong hearty pat on the shoulder. "And for it's worth, I don't care for your past actions. It is the man you are today that matters to me, Tolby." Markus said with an unusual seriousness in his often jovial tone. Perhaps clarifying to himself another part of his high ideals.

Markus gave Tolby a sideways glance. For a moment wondering what those horrible acts had been, but the pushed the thoughts aside. Those were none of his business. Perhaps he should avoid talking about Tolby's time in Sunberth all together. It sounded like it would just tear at wounds in poor Tolby. Markus would hate to ruin his good mood.

"So, what do you do around Syliras? Job wise my friend." Markus said with the same jovial tone and warm smile on his lips.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Ash'eny on March 12th, 2011, 6:54 am

Ash'eny's mood switched to oddly jovial, to strangely cold when Markus asked him where he was from. It was, however, noteworthy that he returned to his initial mood within moments of the silence that had started to grow in between them. "Alcohol is a strange medicine my new friend. It can cleanse the soul, as well as curse the body. I am bold enough to claim that I enjoy a good strong drink, but that I am strong enough to resist the substance as a necessity or even a craving. I will drink for pleasure, to rest or relax, but never from desperation." Ash'eny nodded, knowing this wasn't particularly true. Where he did have perfectly strong self-control, he had his occasional moments when he truly needed it, such as when he was convinced he lost one he loved. Regardless of how situations alter, he often finds the most painful of ones easily flooded and chased away with a drink. "You seem like a respectable young man yourself too. I would take you for a liar sooner than a drunkard if you claimed to be the latter. I expect neither of the two of course. An aspiring lad, a Knight! You have my respect."

Ash'eny shook his head slowly. He was staring, not a good thing. Some people could read truth in the eyes of men. He had witnessed this before, with another knight at that (she was fairly high ranked though), and she had called him out, broke him down, and ultimately brought him peace. Or rather, forced him to accept he was miserable as he was, and gave him an alternate choice. "No, I must apologize. It is more than just rude. It only makes me emotional to look upon my friend's face, especially when he's been dead for many years. I would doubt you hold much a resemblance to how he looks now." Ash'eny smiled grimly, obviously wounding himself with his own failed humor towards his dead friend. Tolby, Ash'eny missed him so much. "Grim, so grim. Ah! Here we are!"

The Golden Dragon it was, and Ash'eny didn't waste a moment. He pushed the door open and held it wide for his new knightly friend. The aroma of perfume and incense came pouring from the building like a powerful stale breeze, it was both intoxicating, and lethal in Ash'eny's mind. Regardless of what scents were blended, it made a new, very strong scent that was potent on his senses. He didn't remember this last visit, perhaps some girls were trying new smells. "After you Ser Markus. If you'd like to find us a nice place to sit, I'll pay for the drink." Ash'eny smiled and gave Markus a quick wink.

After they had obtained their seats, and Ash'eny parted with some money to afford the drink, the two men returned to conversing. "Job wise? I have none at the moment. I brought with me from Sunberth a large sum of Miza that I have been careful with in using up. I've survived well enough living a cheap life, and at times I take advantage of the occasional charitable soul that would offer coin or a meal. Rarely I find a job here and there, grunt work, nothing worse bragging about to a Knight anyways." Ash'eny smiled as a woman (dressed in clothing that did nothing but flaunt her obviously luscious figure) placed before Markus and Ash'eny two glasses and an opened bottle of wine. It wasn't cheap, which meant it wasn't weak. Ash'eny looked up from his seat, thanking the woman, who took a moment to run her hand through his hair, wink, and walk away. Once she was gone, he sighed, pouring himself and Markus a glass of wine from the bottle.

"I suppose all men have a weakness though. I have plenty of them. A toast? To..." Ash'eny paused, pondering what would be worth drinking to. Friendship sounded cheesy, to the knights was just a little too blasphemous for his own taste at the moment. Perhaps... "A toast to being great, no matter who we were? From Sunberth Scum to Syliras Citizen, and from a Little Paige, to the Respected Knight?" Ash'eny grinned as his shoulders shrugged. He wasn't particularly confident in his skills at giving speeches, but certainly that would do, since the situation didn't particularly call for one to begin with.
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Markus Andres on March 18th, 2011, 4:41 am

Markys felt great in the company of Tolby. He smiled and nodded to Tolby and found a pair of seats for the two. Feeling a twinge of guilt in his chest when he saw Tolby pay for their drinks. He had to remind himself that it would be rude of him to protest Tolby's generous offer of paying for their drinks. For even inviting him out to a drink. He listened to Tolby talked about how he had a large sum from Sunberth. Markus wasn't slow to couple that fact with Tolby's earlier mention of doing horrible crimes. It made his stomach churn with a bitter resentment of being offered drinks paid with the blood of someone else.

That was when Tolby brought him out of his proposal of a toast. Markus had not heard much after the mentioning of a large sum. Had only registered the lady coming to give them their drinks, hadn't noticed her looks or the way she had shown her figure. The waitress probably didn't like being ignored by her customers.

"To a brighter future." Markus added to Tolby's small toast. It was weird to be called a knight constantly, weird but something he still enjoyed. Markus tilted the glass back and drained half the contents of the glass. Markus was a man who had tasted his share of ale. Some people didn't like the taste of ale, Markus liked it. What Markus apparently didn't like, was the taste of wine. Something about the taste made his tongue curl up in his mouth. But beside the initial gasp, Markus held his calm facade. Most of all wanting to drain the nearest well to wash the taste out of his mouth.

"Phew... Strong taste." Neutral comment. Markus hoped that Tolby didn't think he had wasted money on the young squire. "I suppose there is a first for everything." Markus said with a grin on his lips. "So, is wine something that grows on you, or are you supposed to like it from the beginning?" Markus asked sincerely.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Next