[Sanctuary] Preparing For The Newcommers (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on February 14th, 2011, 4:50 pm

ImageTimestamp: 70th of Winter, 510 AV
Reason: Barn Building & Conversation, maybe Philosophy.

Kavala gently caught up Sivak's reins and brought him up short. The Seme stallion workhorse snorted, pawed the ground, and they both together surveyed their work. A flattened space in the eastern pasture away from the main buildings of Sanctuary was the result. Sivak had been dragging first the plow and then the arena leveler and together him and Kavala had walked the ground over and over and over and over until they had a perfectly level perfectly smooth compact location. The Konti was tired and the big stallion was sweaty. But there was so much more work to do. They weren't the only ones working either. A crew unloaded lumber at the edge of the site, leaving the building materials scattered in organized piles of large beams, 2x4's, and a whole host of planks for siding. Kavala was building a barn for her six bloodbane mares, one away form the rest of the facility. It wasn't going to be anything fancy. She couldn't afford fancy anyhow. What it was instead was a series of six windrow stalls, enclosed on three sides taller than the mares, and open on the third side to what would be a large arena for the mares to run in.

Kavala had to have it all ready by the time the mares got here at the end of the season. She wasn't exactly sure when the Rattling Chains folks would deliver, but they would come through she knew. The bloodbanes couldn't run in the same herd as the rest of the mares, not at least at first, until she'd gotten to know them and learned their personalities. Most of what she knew was heresay and rumor, but all stories were based on fact. They could easily show up worse than expected and more violent than necessary.

Kavala slowly began unfastening Sivak's hames and tugs, coiling up the harness and leaving the drag where it was. Slowly she pulled the collar from his neck and set the harness aside, freeing the enormous chocolate palomino for play. "Go play. And thank you for the help my strong friend." The harness she draped over the drag and then she wiped the sweat from her eyes and hands. Sivak was no warhorse. He was built for sheer strength and to pull things no ordinary animal could.

"Time to get started."
Kavala picked up the tape measure, began to measure out the site, pressing stakes into the ground and tying strings to them to lay out the shape of the building she wanted. Once that was done, she would grab the post hole diggers and begin the excruciating work (at least for a heavily pregnant woman) of digging out corner post holes and support beams.

Last edited by Kavala on March 13th, 2011, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Vahn Gremio on February 14th, 2011, 8:31 pm

Vahn hated wearing these heavy winter clothes. Actually, he hated wearing clothes at all. They were far too restricting of movement, often itchy, and were just simply unnatural. He would much rather be without them and enjoy his freedom of movement...but for the sake of "decency" he made due with the thick cloth that covered him from head to toe.

One plus was that he was actually quite warm, something that was rare when he was in this humanoid form. Anything to keep this form warm was somewhat welcome. He had even tried sleeping in the bed Kavala had offered him earlier: the blanket had been surprisingly warm and comfortable. The mattress....not so much.

Searching for the kitchen, he found some milk and took a bowl out to the stalls along with a glass of milk, scooping some oats out of the horse feed and dining like a king with oats and milk. Once he ate and drank his fill, he decided to look about the area on his own, only to see some lumber being transported to somewhere. he followed them and saw Kavala doing manual labor.

Vahn was rather angry at that.

Walking with a purpose towards her, he entered the empty courtyard and came up behind her. Lightly grasping the konti's shoulder, he pulled her backwards a bit onto his body and reached around, taking the tool away from her.

"You should not be out here in the cold doing work like this when you are with child. I doubt you want to be sick or get hurt doing this sort of thing..."

He walked her over to a corner and walked back over to where she had been working, placing the post-hole diggers back onto the ground.

"Instead, let me do the work for you. Simply tell me what you want me to do and where to do it."
Vahn Gremio
Plainstrider

Words: 28316
Joined roleplay: January 14th, 2011, 4:41 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Kavala on February 15th, 2011, 11:44 am

ImageKavala felt his annoyance before she saw him approach. It was like that sometimes, with the horses that roamed free around Sanctuary. The striders she didn't dare contain, and as long as the yearlings were out with them, they were safe enough. Vahn was a whole different story. He came and went as he pleased, moving from one subherd to another, familiarizing himself with the mares and yearlings, fussing over them, and learning their personalities.

He was annoyed with something - either his clothing or what she was doing. Maybe both? Kavala almost smiled. She'd never get Vahn to wear clothes in the summer when it finally grew hot enough for him to be both human and naked. Strangely enough, the women of Sanctuary probably wouldn't complain.

Kavala never tried to control his movements, though she did ask him to give up his stall on the nights she doubled up the large box stalls due to snowstorms or downpours. She always drew him in, with her and Akela and the other kelvic sand residents who always gathered together in the living quarters above the clinic. Even if he didn't say much, Kavala went out of her way to make him feel welcome and not demand either too much or too little of his time. She respected his wishes, and almost always took his advice.

Even when he was being bossy - like now.

He was using her own tactics on her, especially her habit of crowding space and changing behavior via reaction rather than thought. Vahn grabbed her, gently pulled her back into his body, and forced her kindly to part company with her post-hole diggers. For a moment, Kavala was angry. Her body stiffened and she felt fear. Vahn felt human, all too human, until the spice of his scent invaded her senses and she turned her head slightly to look up at him. Clean, spicy, and smelling of fresh hay and horse. She relaxed. Horse, not human. And an angry one at that.

Oh yes. He was angry.

Kavala held still and let him speak. She was surprised he was using so many words and less body language, but she considered it something of a victory that he reacted to a human situation like a human rather than like a horse. And he was right to some extent. Many things could have happened. But they hadn't. Not in the least. But Kavala knew when she was going to be over-ruled even in her own home. She looked back over her shoulder again, smiled softly, and nodded.

"I wouldn't have hurt myself, Vahn. And there's no one else, or at least there wasn't until you came to live with us. Things need doing here, and I do them. Who do you think built or helped build the rest of these buildings? I did it, alone, save for the mews and forge which I had help with. But I don't want you here for the manual labor you can provide. Seriously, Vahn, its okay. I'd go easy. We just need to frame up these simple windrow stalls add some roofing and we're done." She said, making it look so easy. Then suddenly, she leaned back against him for a moment, freed one of her hands, and smiled touching his face. "It feels good though. Really good... to have someone care. Thank you. I won't overdue it." She said, smiling because even in his human form he was protecting his herd. She was just... part of it. And so it was that she gently pulled away and out of his grasp and began directing him on where to dig the main posts. And as she let him dig the holes for the support posts, she quietly spoke to him.

"How are you doing here Vahn?"
Kavala asked, looking curious. "Are you happy?" He seemed to be all over, observing, guarding, and caretaking. In a lot of ways he was an amazing person.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vahn Gremio on February 16th, 2011, 6:23 pm

Vahn was very intent on digging the post holes in place of kavala, his muscles straining against the heavy cloth that kept this inferior body warm enough to avoid sickness. His cheeks were ready, his breath heavy and foggy in the cold air with every movement. His body worked like clockwork, digging the holes a bit easier than Kavala would have been able to do in her current state. Why the pregnant woman insisted on doing so much manual labor and taking uneccessary risks was beyond his understanding...perhaps beyond others', as well.

As he worked, he heard Kavala speak up, asking how it was so far. Living amongst other kelvics and other races as a full herd, more than likely was what she was asking. He paused in his work, wiping a bit of sweat off of his forehead onto the thick sleeve and turned around towards her.

"Other than the awkward first impression, I like it," he replied, smiling at the woman. "I have fresh food, a place to rest in both forms, a herd of mares to bear my young, and the possiblity to find a true bondmate. All in all, I am rather happy here so far."

He turned and began his work anew, shoving the post-hole diggers into the ground, pulling the levers apart to grip the dirt and yank it out of the earth. he had seen these tools used before in Endrykas, and was mostly going by memory and instinct on how to use them. There was suredly an easier way, but he really did not feel like learning. He preferred to get the job done so that he could go running like he had planned. Perhaps that Mao kelvic would be interested in a run?
Vahn Gremio
Plainstrider

Character sheet

Postby Descant Shepard on February 24th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Descant had seen Kavala. He'd seen her trying to handle wood and 2x4's that where no doubt heavy. Physical labor, something he'd basically prohibited her from doing. He made very clear that he'd be highly upset if he'd caught her doing any. She was pregnant, she shouldnt have been handling such tasks on her own. If he had it his way she wouldnt even be standing most of the day, let alone working by herself.

He'd come out of the building that housed the room where everyone slept, coming down the stairs onto the veranda and made his way east, angrily muttering to himself as he went. If he shifted, making his way there wouldve much faster, but he couldnt carry his clothes along too. He tugged at his shirts neck a little, he still wasnt very much used to clothing, so even in the winter he would wear as little as possible. He continued briskly walking towards the pasture where he'd seen her and a rather large male digging holes in the ground. He hadnt met the other male yet, but he could tell by looking at him that he wasnt human, a kelvic should be able to tell another kelvic no matter how far away they are. He knew, but he just couldnt make out what animal he was yet.

As Descant finally came up upon the flattened patch of land, he called out to Kavala. "Hey, Kavala, what are you doing all the way out here? Did I not tell you that you shouldnt be working like this?" He tilted his head as he came to her side. "You are carrying a child you shouldnt be under such stress.." He frowned then looked over to Vahn, he didnt immediately say anything to him because he wasnt very good with newer people.
Descant Shepard
Player

Words: 35137
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2010, 7:27 pm
Character sheet

Postby Hatot on February 25th, 2011, 7:00 am

Hatot had been busy during most of his times this winter, and had been failing on some of the more important responsibilities of late. He hoped to make up for such failings as his feet trudged through shallow snow, a trail of large feet being left behind him. He had imagined that he would be finding Kavala tending stalls and mending animals. Instead he had found her at the leveled foundation, surrounded by building supplies and two other males. It had shown just how much of a failing Hatot had managed. He hadn’t even been aware that she was going to be building a new structure for Sanctuary.

As Hatot came closer, he heard the two males both commenting on how Kavala shouldn’t be working in such conditions. In the end, he agreed with them, but he also knew that Kavala very often would do such despite such protests. When she set her mind to something, there was very little that could dissuade her, even manual labor. As well he knew, that despite her pregnancy, Kavala was in much greater physical conditioning than the two males that protested were likely aware.

As he soon came to a stop, standing nearby, Hatot’s golden hues gazed over all three present before moving over the gathered supplies. “I see you have another building project, Kavala.” Hatot said calmly, a fogged breath casually lingering out before being carried off by the soft wind. “I offer my help if you want it? While you know I am not highly proficient with construction, I can certainly handle heavy lifting and save you having to reach in some areas.”

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Words: 301214
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2010, 8:12 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on March 3rd, 2011, 8:32 pm

ImageKavala sighed, frustrated. She wouldn't do anything to endanger the child. She ran in the mornings. She worked horses throughout the day, and paused to do clinic work when customers came in or the need arose. She was always working. It was how she lived, how she trained, and sometimes the only way to chase away bad feelings and memories that even now still haunted her. In a way too, it was punishment, for being stupid enough to get herself into the situation she was in now instead of happily bullying her brother or working as a healer for her Father's pavilion out on the grasslands. Her life was not what she'd envisioned, but until her term as Nakivak ended, there'd be no way to change it. And to that end, she wanted to build up Sanctuary so it was something she could be proud of, even amidst all the shame she still felt about a lot of her stupid mistakes in the past. Regardless, she was in good shape and she knew her limits. Digging post holes was probably not a good idea, nor moving heavy lumber so in that both Vahn and Descant were right. But it was hard for her to slow down, to admit she needed help.

It was just odd, having both Descant and Vahn fussing. Kavala wasn't used to anyone fussing. For months now she'd grown angry and built walls and considered herself all alone in the world. Even her brother and sister, whom she was close too, were avenue's closed to her in many ways. Some were because of those walls, some were because of reality.

Kavala had no way to express this to the kelvics though. She heard their language but didn't actually speak it because she wasn't a horse or a cheetah. So she let it drop. "Thank you for your help. I'm fine though. I understand your concern. I can pound nails though when we're ready for it, after we frame this up. Sivak and I can drag the big lumber, if you two can do the post holes and help with the framing." She nodded, then beckoned them both over, to show them plans she had in a rolled sketch near her pile of carpenter's tools to give them some idea what they were building. "Lets pause a minute, and see what exactly we are building." She said, unrolling a crude blue print and showing them the drawing.

Shelter we're building :
OOC: Like this, wood instead of metal, and with six stalls instead of two. :)

Suddenly Kavala tensed up, in the middle of explaining to them what they were building and what Vahn was digging holes for. The two kelvics would notice right away. She lifted her head, nodded to Hatot, and took a deep breath. She smiled and climbed to her feet from where she was kneeling at the drawing. "We're building a barn. Hatot, this is Descant and Vahn. They live here now." She didn't bother to let the Akalak know they were kelvic. The fact would be obvious enough given a few minutes in their company. "Guys, this is Hatot and Radris. They are my Talvis, my patron, and its his bracelet I wear. Greetings Hatot. We're building a new barn for bloodbanes that are coming at the end of the season. Well.. not a real barn, but a good solid shelter to keep them out of the pastures with the other mares until I see how they act together. We'd be glad for the additional help. Thanks for the offer." She glanced down at the drawing once more.

"We'll need to set the posts... its six to a two stall section and we need three sections. Once the posts are in place, we can frame up the rest, then put the siding in place and roof on. I think we can have them up in just a day or two." Kavala said looking thoughtful. She didn't mention the large coral she was going to add to the structure. Aweston had already agreed to dig the holes once he got back from his trip to Endrykas. She could hang the rails herself like she did on all the rest of the fencing.

"I only have one set of post hole diggers, but you guys can take turns. I can start cutting some of the lumber we'll need for the structure too. Who wants to do what first?" She asked, letting them pick their roles and tasks.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vahn Gremio on March 11th, 2011, 4:40 am

The new arrivals startled Vahn, seeing that there was yet another kelvic living in Sanctuary, one who seemed to give off a similar feel like Mao, but the bloodlust was not there, making the horse kelvic far more comfortable around him than he had been around Mao. That was not to say, of course, that he would let down his guard all the way, but it was not as high as it would have been next to the jaguar female.

As kavala called them both over to take a look at the planned structure, Vahn whistled, impressed. The bloodmares would indeed live comfortably in this structure...he was almost jealous, in fact, that he would have to ask for a stall in there once the building was complete.

He was about to ask for one until yet another came to offer help in the labor. Looking at the man, Vahn's mouth opened, yet no words came out. The man's skin...was....blue? How was a human blue? Even Kavala's scales could possibly be described as some sort of skin rash, until she explained what she was to him, but...blue skin?

As Kavala explained who the man was, Vahn's jaw remained dropped, until, unable to contain it any longer, he pointed at the man and stammered, "Y-you're....blue..."

He meant no insult or injury, but being ignorant of the Akalak race, it was amazing to see someone's skin a deeper shade than water. Personally, Vahn found the skin tone beautiful, wishing there was a way to have his own coat a rich blue, until he remembered that he already had a lovely coat and decided tan/brown was just fine...
Vahn Gremio
Plainstrider

Character sheet

Postby Descant Shepard on March 13th, 2011, 10:58 pm

Descant turned from the blue print, turning to see the blue man before them. He'd heard about him. He recognized the scent fromt the shirt and cloak he was lent before he own clothes were bought. His eyes didnt stay on the man though, he was relating what he knew about Kavala to the Akalak. His eyes trailed to Kavala's wrist, then back to Hatot. He understood completely now. He looked at Hatot from the corner of his eyes, definately a look of distrust, especially since Kavala didnt sound too cheery when she introduced him. Plus, he didnt know the man. He didnt say a word to the man, he didnt feel he had to, after all, this was Sanctuary, and no one could make him.

He turned back to the blue print and looked towards what Vahn was doing. The kelvic had obviously not been around that much. Descant himself had not been so surprised at the skin color...though it didnt much matter to him, a man was a man, no matter how big or small, color or shape, he was still only a man. But he was a man that he'd heard about, a man that had been gone a long while. A man whose absence had pained Kavala, which he didnt like at all. He ruffled his black hair and turned back to the project.

"What should I do, Kavala? It looks like the digging is covered."
Descant Shepard
Player

Words: 35137
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2010, 7:27 pm
Character sheet

Postby Kavala on March 14th, 2011, 3:19 am

ImageNoteHatot is really busy with school so I don't want to hold up the thread waiting for him. He's fine with us moving on.

Kavala offered Hatot a smile and then glanced at Vahn. She'd let him go over the merits of being Akalak with Vahn and explaining their weird skin tone. She was sure the Akalak's had a legend or some explanation for their unique coloring, though she'd never asked Hatot that particular question. She was always curious, always wondering, but very rarely did she ask for stories of his people. He volunteered little enough, so maybe if she kept quiet, he'd offer some tidbit of information.

Kavala glanced away, then back at Descant, noting his eyes on her then back on Hatot. She frowned slightly as if reading something in his gaze she was uncertain of. Kavala raised a pale eyebrow slightly, sighed, and made her way back to the table. "Descant, you can help me drag lumber over and start cutting it to size. We'll do the poles first, then work on the sides. The roof can come last after the building has been framed up." She added. That left Hatot to spell Vahn at digging when and if he was ready to take a break.

Kavala smiled at Vahn, her look speaking volumes about not overdoing it and taking a break when he needed one. She called Sivak over, re-harnessed him, and began moving logs over from near the barn. Once they were over, she showed Descant how to measure them to length, at which point they began cutting the poles. The back row needed to be eight foot, while the front row of support poles needed to be ten. They needed eight lengths of each. So from that moment on, Kavala's work consisted of walking alongside the draft horse and then hefting the chain and clamps to the poles and using the drafthorse to drag them back over to the work site where Descant could then cut nad measure them.

She left Vahn to keep digging and Hatot to jump in to help whenever and wherever he liked.

Last edited by Kavala on March 21st, 2011, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next