[Flashback] My first battle alone....[Closed]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Malkur on February 15th, 2011, 5:40 am

7th of Summer, 505AV

"Don't look so nervous, kid. This is a pretty routine job."

The gruff voice came out, startling 20 year old Malkur to no end. Less then two months ago his father had been killed, the man he thought was truly invincible in battle. He had fought along side him for many years, and though he had fought and killed men he had never been on job alone. The emotion filled his head, and that emotion was full forced fear.

"I'm not nervous! Its just hot out here!" Stammering, lies. It was obvious.

The larger veteran laughed, patting the young warrior on the shoulder before moving toward the front of the Caravan. Malkur had managed, after some proving, to get himself a job protecting a small merchant caravan on its way to the various cities in the Sylira region, they had come from Zeltiva and were headed to Syrliras first, stocked mostly with rare armors and weaponry. The company he had managed to get himself aligned with was a small gang of reformed bandits. It wasn't the most reputable group, but he had work and he felt good about it. If not a bit afraid.

After some self thought he looked up, striding in a jog closer to the caravan train. Two caravans full of goods, and one full of travel needs. Four guards, two merchants, and a Isur named 'Kalar' made up the group; not including himself. The Isur owned most of the goods, the merchants his partners.

"We got quite awhile before we get there, but don't let your senses fall."

Came the female voice, the leader of the band of reformed bandits and his new boss. She was human, like every other guard and tall, real tall. She stood around 6'3", with a lanky body like he had never seen before; eyes bright as the ocean and hair the color of the sun, but heavily scarred in her once beautiful face. Her nose was hacked to bits, and her cheeks had huge disfiguring scars. Worse off? She was proud them, dying the scars elaborate colors and piercing the destroyed nose.

"AYE MA'AM!"

Came the resonating voices of the men, Malkur taking it up with them. Her will was done, and the men feared her. After some time, she walked from her spot in caravan train to check with each of her men, and after some time she came to him. She smiled, soft as her face could give.

"Don't worry, hun. I'll protect you."

She towered over him, and it would be a lie to say it didn't intimidate him. She liked that, and with a soft touch she kissed him. That stopped him, dead in his tracks and like a school boy his cheeks flushed brightly. She had taken a liking to Malkur, and had bedded him the night before; but it still didn't change the embarrassment he felt from the hoots and hollers of the other men.

"I don't need protecting, Miss Grace." His resolve hardened, he didn't want to be looked down on!

Grace just smiled, patting him on the head like a child and returning to her position in the front. She chatted with the much smaller Isur, whom was sitting on the lead cart guiding it with a lazy hand.

TWANG!

With a heavy hit, the Isur fell. Shouts, blood, the rushing fear. The smell overwhelmed him. Men burst from the forest, and soon Malkur found himself shaking. "Run! Run! Run! Run!" his brain implored him; fifteen men had charged the small group. Fifteen! They had no chance!

"NO!" He yelled, drawing his spear into the notch on his shield and charging at the nearest man! The battle would be now! He wasn't going to run like he did when his father died. Now was the time to show his resolve.

"AAAAAAAAH!"

The clash had begun.
Last edited by Malkur on February 15th, 2011, 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is easier to ask for forgiveness then it is permission."
Malkur
Player

Words: 8452
Joined roleplay: February 11th, 2011, 2:27 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

[Flashback] My first battle alone....[Solo]

Postby Malkur on February 15th, 2011, 6:00 am

Malkur braced his spear, and as he charged the nearest man he hit with ease. The filthy bandit didn't even see it coming, the spear head went from hip to hip; impaling him side long on the spear. With a flourish he slammed his shield hard into the mans face and dislodging him from the now blood covered spear.

TWANG!

"Uh!"

The crossbow bolt hit his right armored shoulder, punching through the armor but not piercing his skin, it was too high. Malkur had yet to fit the armor for his size, and with his father being much larger it made his form deceiving. The young warrior brought his shield to his chest, lowering his form and placing his head behind the shield, he placed the spear in the notch on the shield and kept his back to a cart. No one approached, and he soon saw why.

Everyone else was dead. Everyone. Tears welled up in his eyes, he didn't love these people, but he had shared his time with them. Lived with them, slept with them. Most had been shot down, some hacked to death by wicked looking machete like swords all the men held. Ten of them remained, they had only gotten five!

Five! Shame welled up in him, how could they have gotten only there own number? These were filthy bandits! Not trained warriors! Lost in his own thoughts he barely caught the sight of a man charging him full on! He reacted slowly, showing his inexperience he swung his shield out to strike him; and in the process left himself open for a crossbow.

"Twang."

Came a calm voice, and the charging man stopped with a bright grin on his dirty face, just short of the shield bash. Standing tall was an awfully short man, if that made any sense. He held an empty crossbow and was aiming at Malkur's chest square on. This man was clean, with a tight blonde ponytail and steel colored eyes.

"Youngsters shouldn't be wandering alone out here. Never know who might kill you." Cocky best explained his tone, and as he spoke he lowered his crossbow and angled off and looked down at him from a short distance. He strode with confidence towards him.

Malkur closed his shield on him, bracing the spear for combat. The moment he did the bandit leader laughed, throwing his hands up in mock 'I give up'. He then walked, confidently past the brandished spear and Malkur found himself uncomfortably close to the man, foreheads almost touching.

"You won't do an-OHF"

Shield to the face, Malkur charged through him, keeping his shield in front of him but running into him. The young bandit leader hit the ground, and before he could roll or recover was impaled by a spear. His hands gripped the shaft, blood pouring from his mouth as he tried to speak. Speak any words, but he never got the chance. Malkur twisted his wrist, then pulled; removing the spear in a gruesome display of cruelty from the young warrior.

"Next."

Was all Malkur said, keeping shield tight and back to the cart. He didn't expect to win, but he wasn't gonna roll over and die without a fight. His breath came steady, his sudden calm shocking the many men who now fanned out to surround him as best they could. Malkur dropped to one knee, placing the the counter weight of his spear into the ground and angling the spear to gut level. He protected his entire body with his shield, keeping the sharp spear as instant death to charge at him. He had full motion range to the oval shaped notch in his shield which allowed him to maneuver it in any direction in front of him.

The bandits knew it instantly, none having the guts to charge first. Malkur smiled, and began to whistle. It was a tune his father had taught him, a song of battle his father had always whistled in battle. It had unnerved stronger opponents then these bandits, and it certainly unnerved them.
Malkur
Player

Character sheet

[Flashback] My first battle alone....[Solo]

Postby Malkur on February 15th, 2011, 6:14 am

Crack!

Malkur slumped forward, head spinning. His inexperience! Damn it! A man had snuck around the cart, crawling atop and had jumped down upon him. Heavy foots first, hitting his head with a powerful frame behind it. The only thing that kept him up was his kneeled position, the much larger man had fallen onto his spear after hitting Malkur, snapping the shaft in half. It was the only mistake he made, for by sheer instinct Malkur stabbed blindly around him, head spinning and blood pouring his eyes. The short spear gutted the man, poked an eye out, and out right killed him before he could even get his footing back.

The guttural screams of a dying man gave way to the start of the eventide and the darkness slowly set in. Malkur no longer had a spear, could barely see through all the blood, and his legs were wobbly from the trauma his head had taken. "I don't wanna die!" he yelled over and over and over in his own mind.

This steeled him to the cowardice he was about to show. Seconds had passed since he had gutted the man who got the jump on him, and dropping what remained of the spear he locked his free right hand onto his left shield hand and created a strong guard. As the men around charged, seeing blood, he did the same. Getting up on his wobbly legs he charged the smallest man on the left and -

CRACK!

Malkur charged through him, sprinting for all he had. His legs pumped like pistons as he dove into the forest, keeping his shield hard against his body as he charged through branches and under brush. His legs were wobbly, but the fear and adrenaline drove him beyond it. His stride was long, the sounds of chase causing him to go faster and faster.

He just kept running, his lungs on fire with each and every stride. His breath came in ragged heaves, blood obscuring his vision as it came from the wound on his head. He wasn't going to stop, he couldn't! If he did, he died. His sprint paid off, for less then two miles away he saw the shining city of Syliras. Better yet? The Knights of this land pointed at him, charging head long past him on their steeds toward the bandits who chased him.

The slaughter was evident, and by the time the Knights wheeled to find the man they had saved, he was gone. Likely he sprinted all the way to the city, just trying to escape with all his might. It was said that when some men got knocked out, their brains triggered a primal fight or flight mechanism, like a sleeping walking man he ran.

His life saved by tons of luck, and just a bit of skill.
Malkur
Player

Character sheet

Postby Dusk on February 21st, 2011, 7:32 pm

XP Award!

Malkur
XP Award: Weapon (Spear): 1 XP, Shield: 1 XP, Intimidation: 1 XP, Running: 1 XP
Lore Award: Being embarrassed in front of your friends, Being seduced by your boss, The shock of an ambush, Laughing in the face of danger, Lesson: Always look behind you, Head Trauma
Ledger: -1 spear

Additional Note
A great flashback!

PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)