Ethaefael

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Ethaefael

Postby Alistair deGrey on January 8th, 2010, 2:37 pm

So, what races can be Ethaefael? I understand that Ethaefael revert to the last same-gender past life they had, but are there restrictions on what that past life can be? For example, I was looking into an Akvatari/Ethaefael, but Akvatari were discovered a decade after the Valterrian. Since Ethaefael were made during the Valterrian, this wouldn't work, would it? I also noticed that every past life race mentioned in the wiki was around before the Valterrian (Jamoura, Semenestra, and Human), so IF we have to be a pre-valterrian race, do we also look like our pre-Valterrian race (i.e. Didn't semenestra's change?)?

Unless more Ethaefael continually appear from the two's domains, then would it be okay for that combination?

How confusing...
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)

Re: Ethaefael

Postby Kamalia Timandre on January 8th, 2010, 3:07 pm

Now that you mention it, I've always wondered if there was a konti-ethaefal. o_o
Kamalia Timandre
I send a hail of burning ice!

Words: 254985
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 8:37 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Thread (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (4) Advocate (1)

Postby Colombina on January 8th, 2010, 4:00 pm

Here's a portion of the very first paragraph of the writeup, emphasis added:

"In the Valterrian, the divine realms of Syna and Leth were broken and many of the righteous they claimed from the cycle of life and death fell to Mizahar. The fissure is being healed slowly, but claimed souls continue to slip through. "

Ethaefal can be any race since the tears in Syna and Leth's realms have yet to fully mend. However, pre-Valterrian races would be more common, since the damage was at its worse then and resulted in the largest exodus of Ethaefal. After the Valterrian, they arrive at a trickle.
So the one rule to be derived from this, is that an Ethaefal who is not a Pre-Valterrian race, must be younger than 500.

The only other requirement for an Ethaefal is that they were favored by or worshipped Leth or Syna in the bulk of their previous lives.

Here's an abbreviated example: life 1= male human, Leth worshipper, life 2= female hybrid, Leth worshipper, life 3= female Benshira, Leth and Yahal worshipper, life 4= Konti, mostly Rakelli with some affinity for Leth, life 5= Male Eypharian, Syna and Leth worshipper.

Now say this creature becomes a female Ethaefal from Leth's realm, it will recall its Konti life the most, and look like a Konti during the day.

For your information, Pre-Valterrian races who did not alter significantly after the cataclysm include: 1. Humans (Benshira, Vantha, Drykas), 2. Eypharians, 3. Akalak, 4. Chaktawe, 5. Constrictor Dhani, 6. Isur, 7. Kelvic, 8. Myrians, and 9. Pycon.

Hope that helps.
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Chaelnomyl on January 8th, 2010, 6:41 pm

Well, just to point something out - I don't see an Ethaefal being an Akvatari because of Leth's past. To be as devoted as the Ethaefal are to their god, they would likely understand his history (at least from past lives if nothing else?) and... Leth was historically a very dark, violent guy. The Akvatari are the pinnacle of peace. They are not violent unless something is threatening their lives. They don't kill.

I know it says they can worship whoever they please, because no god has claimed them, but to me it just doesn't make sense. Violent, dark, emotional guy doesn't fit in with anything in Akvatari society (civilization, arts, music, peace). They are very stoic, very artsy, very depressed and very peaceful.

Syna's pretty emotional too as far as I understand, so I don't see them really worshiping her either. Since Syna and Leth are one of the great love stories of history, and the Akvatari have a tendency to be sorta hand-wavey about love (mating doesn't hold a lot of ties, one parent tends to raise the child, the child leaves home at an early age), I wouldn't think they'd care. My character personally would see it as too emotionally cumbersome (Syna/Leth's relationship)... If she had any knowledge of it.

Just my two cents. :\
In his winding wail and his deep-heaved sigh, his aching grief found vent...
While the sea looked upon the bending sky and murmured,
"I repent..."
Chaelnomyl
Orphan of the Sea and Sky

Words: 58281
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2009, 10:01 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on January 8th, 2010, 6:48 pm

I absolutely see an Akvatari worshiping Syna. She touches almost all things and brings life to the world through her light. Syna is emotional, but shes joy and laughter and with a brightness of spirit.

Sure the Akvatari are all artistic and creative, but they are also about as emo as they come. Liminal designed them after all, which is something I'd never have thought would come from the lovely little island I named and wanted to be some sort of tropical paradise. Hehehe, its amazing how things evolve. He has often described them to me as melancholy, which is fairly heavy on the emotional side... and I've seen Akvatari art also played out in game so far, and some of it can be rather disturbing and dark as well.

So I don't see why not at all. PCs, after all, are the exception not the rule.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Alistair deGrey on January 9th, 2010, 5:18 am

Thank you Colombina, Chaelnomyl, and Gossamer for the advice. This clears up quite a bit :D

And yes Chael I was considering that, I was considering this particular one to be a witch-hunter or a Ved'Mak/Witcher kind of person (Not from the books or the game, just couldn't think of a better term for someone who kills undead and other aberrations.)

Although, I haven't justified it yet. Im still working on a sufficient history that would cause a prior Akvatari to become the violent sort. It seems as if the negative emotions could very well spring a violent type under the correct circumstances, especially after being cast out of Leth's realm. Natural Depression + Divine Rejection (even if it is out of his hands) = Not sure yet. It would certainly cause said Akvatari to become more of an outcast.

Or maybe s/he isn't necessarily the violent type? There are people who kill/harm out of necessity rather than joy or sport. Certainly it could be seen as one's duty to remove the malpracticing magi or harmful aberrations from the world. But I haven't justified that either.

I don't know, I'm still working out kinks in this character, but I think if I give it enough development it could turn out interesting. But now I'm rambling about my character, so I'll stop. Just felt the need to explain what I realize must have seen twisted logic :D
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)