(Flashback) Follow the Horsie (Kendall)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Ariel on January 30th, 2011, 12:06 am

"It was rather odd," Ariel began, pausing for a moment as she considered her words, "and from what I understand, my cousin didn't taste very good, in fact, if I remember correctly, my brother spat him right back out of his mouth rather soon after attempting to eat him... something about tasting like dirt, not like my brother had ever had such a thing; well I don't think so anyway, I don't see why he would considering we pycons eat only clay but..." Ariel's voice trailed off as she started to ramble, the red pigmentation in her cheeks grew to be more and more prominent, as though she were embarrassed by her brother, or perhaps for him. "Anyway, his arm did grow back eventually, although it took him quite a bit longer than we expected for him to do so; and as for being normal, I highly doubt it, because, after all, since when have brothers been known to do anything 'normal,' Kendall?"

Ariel smiled sweetly as she paused in the middle of her speech. Kendall's mother had just placed a large pile of yummy looking clay in front of her. "Thank you Mrs. Sara.... Mrs. S," Ariel said, not wanting to make a fool out of herself, yet again. "That looks really good," Ariel finished before bending her neck, dipping it towards the pile of clay that rested on the table. Ariel took a bite, and proceeded to chew as quietly as she could, which she supposed wasn't quiet at all, considering how awkwardly horses chew, even if they were only tiny clay ones. Ariel sighed, she hated how no matter how hard she tried to make a halfway decent impression, she always managed to screw up, and do something that would make her seem rude.

Ariel's tail swished back and forth as she continued to chew on the clay the Saarinens had provided for her. She lifted her head to look happily back up at Kendall, trying to portray her gratitude through her tiny clay eyes, she wasn't sure how successful she was however, and hoped that she hadn't made her poor manners even more apparent. If she could, Ariel would more than likely be crossing her fingers for good luck, crossing her fingers in the hope that the Saarinens didn't care about that sort of thing; it couldn't hurt after all, right? Ariel thought as she finished chewing.

It was a few moments before Ariel chose to speak again. "Well that's quite alright, I'm used to it I suppose, but if I may, I would like to ask what specifically you study about poetry and literature? Do you have a favorite book, whether that be written in poetry or prose? Or perhaps a favorite author? Or even a poet?"
Ariel
I'm NOT Short, I'm Fun-Sized!

Words: 181717
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2010, 9:27 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on February 2nd, 2011, 12:54 am

It was so interesting, yet strange to listen to the Pycon's story. Kendall could not imagine her brothers ever trying something like that, even as strange as they were. They had done other things though. "My brothers were not that crazy. Layton, my older brother, did set Rak'el, still older but younger than Layton, on fire once. My father took us out to the Wildlands, he always does. He likes to keep us informed on how to survive in the wilderness. I guess it is because he is a science scholar." Kendall had a habit of getting off topic when she spoke. Her mother liked to say it was because she had more to say than her mouth could express. Leave it to a literature scholar to cover up her daughter's short comings with fancy wording.

With a sip of her tea Kendall rushed back into her story. 'Oh yes! I was talking about my brothers! I get so off topic at times!" She took another sip of her tea and started to recount the tale of how Rak'el was accidentally set on fire. "We were learning how to make a fire. Well, I was too young at the time and my dad told me not to even think about working with the flames." She was only five years old at the time but that detail was not important, at least that is what she thought. Without that fact the story was just that much more interesting. Why would a father not let her teenage daughter learn how to make a fire? It made the listener want to know more. Of course, that was all up to the person listening. "Anyway, Layton was starting he fire while my dad was off looking at some plants. At that time Rak'el was reading a book on a rock near the fire. Layton lit a stick on fire and just like that set Rak'el's sleeve on fire!" Her blue eyes glowed with passion as she told her story. "So anyway, that is my brothers for you. Hopefully the are not lurking. Layton loves that story but Rak'el… not so much as you can imagine."

The two sat at the table sharing a few rare moments of silence until Kendall giggled. She did not mean to but she found it completely adorable how Ariel ate. "Excuse me. I'm sorry to laugh. Please don't take it as an insult! I tend to giggle about everything." Kendall was happy to hear Ariel pipe up about Literature. It was in fact her favorite thing to talk about. Well, other than her boyfriend. "I must say my favorite poet would have to be Marie Sendlant. There is much to be known about her. A lot of her works were lost in the Valterrian. My mother was named after her though! I have a very poetic family." She pondered over her favorite book. There were so many to choose from and she was sure she could not choose her favorite. "I do not think I could choose a favorite work. There are so many books and essays, poems and novels! It would be like a mother choosing her favorite child! Of course, I did not write them so I am not much of a mother." Kendall once again started to worry she was talking to much and turned the conversation back over to Ariel. "What about you? What do you study? What got you into Auristics?" She could only imagine the glory of auristics. Sadly, she knew that as long as she was living in her father's house she would never see it.
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Ariel on February 2nd, 2011, 4:25 pm

Ariel started whinnying, it was her horse's form of laughter. Her eyes shut tight, her nostrils flared, and her head bucked up and down. The thin hairs that lined her mane flipped this way and that, more than likely reminding anyone who looked at them of a field of wheat swaying in the wind. It took a long time for her whinnying to die down, especially when she was choking out words, "sorry sorry, I know I probably shouldn't be laughing since your poor brother could have really been hurt, but it is so darn funny!" Ariel started to stomp her hooves on the table, beating out a low, methodic drum-like sound. "My family has never tried anything like that, but then again, even if they did, I wonder if it would do much of anything, if anything, considering how we are all made out of clay." Ariel finally stopped whinnying after she had uttered those last words. She slowly opened her eyes, and straightened her tiny clay body out.

Ariel then bent her head down and took another bite of clay, and chewed on it thoughtfully. She lifted her head again, and tilted it to the side as she chewed. She looked up at Kendall, who seemed to be deep in thought, hovering over her cup of tea. Ariel was thankful she hadn't been chewing when Kendall was speaking, for she more than likely would have laughed so hard that she spit everything out on her and into her cup of tea, which would not have ended well, she was sure. Half-masticated clay chunks in what smelled like peppermint tea? Maybe for a pycon... a human, not so much. The two sat silently for another moment, and Ariel couldn't help but wonder what was on Kendall's mind.

After a few moments of peaceful silence, Ariel spoke again, "the only thing I am currently studying is auristics, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure I could tell you why, for I do not fully understand my interest myself." There was a slight pause as Ariel considered her words, "but then again, from a practical standpoint, it would make sense for someone my size to learn something that would reveal another's emotions, because that way, I would know whether or not to run away." Ariel sighed, it was hard to be so small sometimes, it was far too easy for someone to step on you. Ariel cleared her throat before she asked, "do you think you would like literature as much if your mother wasn't so fascinated by it? Or do you think you like it all on your own?" She paused, "Sorry, was that rude? I only mentioned it because sometimes, children seem to have a hard time not following in their parent's footsteps."
Ariel

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on February 21st, 2011, 10:52 pm

"Don't worry, my petting brothers deserve it." Kendall slapped her hands over her mouth and blushed. "Sorry, that wasn't very lady-like was it?" She giggled and took another sip of her tea. Although she liked to poke fun at her brothers she really did love that they could joke with each other so easily. She truly loved her brothers, all though she found her sister a little bit of a priss at times.

The thought of auristics was sure a tempting one. It would have been quite helpful on those days Kay'lan decides he was going to be mister strong and silent. Kendall could not help but imagine what her boyfriend's aura would look like. Maybe minty and icy like Taldera. Although, Taldera really was not that minty was it? Maybe light and sparkling like the snow? No, sparkles, according to her new friend meant the person was sick. Kendall could not think of what it could be. She decided to give up on the thought. That kind of thinking was dangerous in the Saarinen household anyway.

"I can see that. At times you just have a drive and you gotta just go for it, ya know?" Kendall punched her fist up in the air triumphantly and giggled. She tried to think about auristics from Ariel's perspective. Being small really would be helpful to know when the whole world was looking down on you. "Well you are a brave girl to take on the world being so tiny! I know I couldn't do it. Well, I am short for a human I suppose but not as short as you. No offense of course." Kendall hoped she did not offend the little clay lady. At times her words moved faster than her thoughts. "Don't feel bad. I'm not offended. I'm not sure if I would have gone into literature without my mother encouraging me to do it. I think I would have found it on my own though. I love it more than life and with a love this strong, I'm sure it was destiny that drove me to the art of written word." She smiled and started to think. She should show her new friend some of her poetry skills!

Poetry is so ingrained in my soul how could I live without it
The rhythm of the rhyming words
You know I can't deny it
When words come flowing like waterfalls
And sonnets are blowing like the breeze
No wonder literacy makes me fall to my knees
For without it how could I express
The light I feel and such sweet happiness?
So next time you wonder wonder why I chose this studious thrill
Know it was already chosen by my loving will."

"Did you like it? I worry my spontaneous poetry gets a little silly at times." Kendall smiled at her friend and took a sip of tea. She was proud of it even if her new friend found it a little juvenile.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Ariel on February 23rd, 2011, 6:44 pm

"No it wasn't, but no one was around to hear you, other than myself of course, so I suppose it's alright," Ariel said with a loud whinny and several light stomps on the table. Her hooves made a clicking sound against the hardwood. She took lowered her head and took another large bite of clay, and chewed on it thoughtfully.

After she had finished chewing, she snorted a few time and stomped on the table a little harder. Her tail swished back and forth, over and over, as though she were swatting at a pesky fly. "None taken," Ariel lied. She didn't care who you were, or if you added 'no offense,' any comments about her height were offensive to her. She knew she were small, of course she did. She knew she was tiny even among her own people, which were generally tiny too. But that didn't mean she liked to be reminded of such things everywhere she went.

Ariel took another bite of clay and shook her head, waving her mane wildly about. "And that was a cute poem," she lied again. Not only was she was still slightly irritated by Kendall's remark, but she hated rhyming poetry. She hated rhyming period. It just seemed so childish to her for some reason. "It's definitely a lot better than I could have done on the spot," Ariel added, knowing that it were true, though she hated to admit it.

"See?" Ariel said, as she cleared her throat in order to come with her own:

Roses are red, violets are blue,
I must say, it has been rather nice meeting you

When she had finished reciting her little poem, Ariel closed her eyes and began stomping on the table again, happily. She was whinnying from the laughter she felt but could no longer contain. Her poem was simply too terrible. "See what I mean?" Ariel said through laughter. It took her a few minutes to calm down again and look up at her new friend with a straight face. "Definitely not poet material," Ariel commented, before adding, "have you ever considered becoming a poet, or any form of writer Kendall? Or are you more interested in writing as a hobby, a long with your reading and other studies? Is teaching something you'd ever consider?" Ariel asked as she looked up at Kendall quizzically.
Ariel

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on March 16th, 2011, 9:10 pm

A small giggle lit up Kendall's face as Ariel recited her improv poem. "Very nice! I like how simple it is. It's really cute!" She took a sip of her tea as a thought hit her. She was supposed to have lunch with Kay'lan today! She did not want to leave her new friend after just meeting her but she also could not bring her to the date. It was not proper and Kay'lan tended to be a bit judgmental at times of races who were not human, or a subrace of them. She never knew why he was like that. He just seemed to be a little disturbed by non-humans. He did not have an issue with Kelvics but Kendall guessed that was because he was from Avanthal were Kelvic's were always present and an important part of their culture.

"Ariel, I am extremely sorry but it is nearly time for my date with my boyfriend." Kendall began to rush through her house trying to get her things in order. "Mom! I'm heading out!" Kendall looked back at Ariel and gave her an awkward smile. "It was really nice to meet you. If you like, we can walk back to the University together." She felt terrible just dropping her new friend like this. "Feel free to take the clay with you as well."

As the two walked Kendall quietly sang a Vani song that Kay'lan has taught her. "I'm glad we met Ariel! It was very nice to spend time with you. I hope we can hang out again some time soon. Maybe we will have a class together someday!" Kendall smiled as she saw the University getting closer. "If not, it was nice just to make your acquaintance Ariel." Kendall gave her a parting smile as she left the Pycon on the front steps of the University. She hoped to see the little horse again someday but only time would tell."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Tabarnac on March 26th, 2011, 5:14 pm

XP Award!

Ariel
XP Award: Auristics +3; Meditation +1; Riding (Human) +1; Composition +1

Kendall
XP Award: Interrogation +2; Composition +3
Lore: Pycons (basic)

Additional Notes:
Excellent work, chirrenz. It was fun to see Kendall pre-accident, and Gumby playing as Pokey amused me too. ;)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

Keep writing!
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous