Adrift (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

Adrift (Open)

Postby Sassaleverwi on March 22nd, 2011, 11:00 pm

Everwi hissed and spat at the two birds blocking her path. She slid her coils forward, showing that she was not going to beat around the bush here. They would move and give her space, or she would make them do so.

The glassbeaks held their ground, but the Dhani made them slightly nervous. She could see their feathers twitch as she slithered forward. She snapped her jaws then, causing one of the birds to leap back with a screech. The other glassbeak simply dug its talons into the muddy ground and clacked its beak back at her.

Young birds were prone to intimidation, but the ploy only lasted so long. The more adult glassbeak had not gobbled the bait, it stood firm. Everwi could see a future alpha here...as long as the bird did not attack. Everwi swayed waiting for the moment when she would strike the bird.

When it went for the attack, the Dhani was ready, striking the bird hard in the outstretched neck as she wriggled under the sharp beak. Her fangs sank deep into the flesh of the feathered creature, delivering the potent venom for which her race was known. Everwi withdrew as quickly as she had bitten, slithering back and to her left slightly so that the bird could not slam talons or beak down on her grounded coils.

The young bird still faltered, not sure of what had just happened. The adult seemed uncertain as well, surprise and weakness entering into the squawks and screeches it bellowed. The dhani swept her tail out as she lowered her full height a little. While she was not as skilled at clubbing as a rattler kin might be, she slammed her tail in to the knee joints of the stricken glassbeak.

It was enough to topple the weakening bird. Cautiously, Everwi reached for a kicking foot. Those talons were still strong enough to rip her apart. She began to slither towards the cave entrance, her prize in tow.
"I hope you like 'chicken,' human." She smiled threateningly to the younger glassbeak that was continuing to back away from the Dhani.
Sassaleverwi
Player

Words: 7590
Joined roleplay: March 17th, 2011, 12:48 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Adrift (Open)

Postby Derailey on March 24th, 2011, 12:57 am

Derailey stood there for a moment, watching the Dhani drag the Glassbeak toward the entrance of her cave. That really just happened. She had never seen a Dhani attack before, it was amazing. She quickly made her way through the thick grass until she was next to the girl.

The feel of the rain on her back began to lessen until it was nothing more than light sprinkles. Looking up to the sky, she could see sunlight breaking through the titanous clouds. "What is your name, Dhani?"
Derailey
You want a battle. I'll give you a war.

Words: 36925
Joined roleplay: March 16th, 2011, 8:24 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Adrift (Open)

Postby Sassaleverwi on March 24th, 2011, 2:32 am

Everwi did not take her eyes off the glassbeaks, or answer questions until she had dropped into the cave entrance. Portor gave a shrieking whinny that deafened her.

She crouched against the floor holding her hands to her ears. The panting bird lay inside the cave, chirruping pitifully as the poison wrecked havoc on the creature's body.
"Portor! Knock it off, moronic beast of burden." Everwi shouted at the horse from the floor. She writhed in a thick line just beyond the entrance.

She was trying to focus quickly on changing form. At least human looking she caused Portor some more ease. The process felt like it took longer than usual, her skin itching like mad as the scales receded.

Even as a human, she mimicked the movements of snakes. Her naked form slithered into a corner shivering with cold. Her clothes were soaked and wet on Portor's back. She needed to get up to take care of him, but the short battle outside had greatly fatigued her. Her mouth felt like cotton as she worked her jaw around. All her venom had been deposited into the glass beak.

It would take days to replenish her poison. The revelation was enough to make her groan inwardly. Venom was her main source of food collection and defense if necessary, at least in snake form.

She hauled herself up along the wall, using it as a crutch as she reached for Portor's reins and halter. The horse shuddered at her touch, but she deftly removed all his tack. Her wet clothes she just threw in a pile temporarily. She took a rough comb from her pack and began rubbing Portor down. She still shivered.
"I am Sassaleverwi." The name sounded thick as she tried to pronounce it in the common tongue to the human who had helped her. "Call me Everwi... or something along those lines. I do answer to most things. Whether the response is positive or negative is debatable though." She smiled over Portor's shoulder, but her entire body was hidden by the horse. "Sorry to drop in on you, but I did not plan my entrance into these plains very well."

Everwi had not planned anything at all. She was simply running away. She had to get away from the battle. It had grown to be far too much.

Her attention slowly made its way back to the glassbeak.
"Oh yeah, there's food."
Sassaleverwi
Player

Character sheet

Adrift (Open)

Postby Derailey on March 24th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Derailey walked over to Chel and Solo, both still resting by the fire, but wide awake, weary at the presence of strangers. She bent over, opening up her knapsack, and pulling out a dark brown cloak, before shutting it again. "Food in exchange for clothes and a place to rest?" She smiled at the girl good naturedly, holding out the cloak, offering it to her.

Outside of the cave, she heard the screams of those winged beasts they had encountered only moments ago, alerting that they had found new prey. Her eyes glanced in their direction momentarily, but returned to the Dhani.
Last edited by Derailey on March 18th, 2014, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derailey

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Adrift (Open)

Postby Sassaleverwi on March 27th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Everwi took the cloak with a smile. "It seems a good trade." She quickly wrapped herself in the cloak before she finished tending to Portor. "And what are you called?" Her tone turned a little gruff as she worked to unmat a burr from Portor's mane.

Everwi was making a conscious effort to ignore the birds calling outside as well as the small whimpers from the dying creature she had brought with them.
Sassaleverwi
Player

Character sheet

Adrift (Open)

Postby Mokin on March 27th, 2011, 10:02 pm

Mokin heard a loud screech. He knew it for what it was, glassbeaks. They had already caught sight of him. He was headed for the nearby cave for a possible shelter, but only too late did he spot the abominable creatures for him to go undetected.

He steered his horse around, giving it a kick in its sides and shouted a short "hiya!" to get it in a quick gallop. The glassbeaks ran faster than his horse. The elders of his tribe had always told them that you could not outrun a glassbeak, even on horse. He had set his eyes upon a lone and nearby tree, and jumped off his mount as they passed it, rolling over the grass deftly to get up on his feet. In a fluid motion of his tumbling roll, he ran to the tree and jumped up to climb its branches. He had left his horse, Bafop galloping away, hopefully to a safe distance.

Mokin climbed as high as he could on the tree, looking down at the Glassbeaks that had followed him. They continued to screech, as they waited for him to come down. One scratched bark off the tree with its sharp talon. He could very lively imagine their sharp talons and beaks dig into his flesh, wisely keeping himself safe above them.

Perhaps he could scare them off. Mokin swallowed, before yelling as loud as his lungs allowed him to down at the monstrous birds. Unfortunately, they seemed unaffected.
Last edited by Mokin on March 28th, 2011, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mokin
Player

Words: 2716
Joined roleplay: March 27th, 2011, 12:59 am

Adrift (Open)

Postby Derailey on March 27th, 2011, 10:31 pm

(Excuse me, Mokin, but aren't you in another Sea of Grass thread? Are we allowed to be in more than thread at a time?)

Once the Dhani had taken the cloak, Derailey turned back around to join her companions by the fire. "I am called Derailey, and am a child of the Drykas." She sat down next to her dog, and layed back on the large body of her horse, Chel. "Lucky I was near by. Those Glassbeaks tend to be ruthless in their hunts."

The Glassbeak's scream was steadily becoming incoherent with distance from the cave. She vaguely wondered what they had found.
Derailey

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Adrift (Open)

Postby Sassaleverwi on March 30th, 2011, 2:34 am

The snake smiled again. She could be just as ruthless, but five of the creatures were a bit much. The girl had been a great help. While Everwi may have been able to slip past the creatures as a snake, Portor would have been torn to shreds.

She nuzzled the horse's muzzle, the soft velvet of his snout warm against her cold fingers. He pushed back into her warmly, happy to have a dry place to stay the night for once.
"The Drykas are the Horse people, no?"
Sassaleverwi
Player

Character sheet

Adrift (Open)

Postby Derailey on March 30th, 2011, 9:06 pm

"Mmhmm," Derailey nodded, using a long stick she had resting next to the small fire to move around the burning pieces of wood. "I hail from the diamond clan. I am a warrior of my people." She stared into the fire intently, and almost lost herself in thought, but Solo interrupted her by resting his head comfortably on her crossed leg. Derailey let a slight smile rest on her lips, and softly scratched behind the dogs ear.
Last edited by Derailey on March 18th, 2014, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derailey

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Adrift (Open)

Postby Derailey on April 9th, 2011, 3:28 pm

Derailey awoke to find the woman she had met the night before had disapeared, with no sign of even being there. Standing from her sleeping position, of resting back on her horse, she gazed at the burnt out fire.

She glanced toward the cave's mouth, light had barely brought a morning dim glow to this place. She wondered how far the Dhani could have gotten, but passed it off. She would be fine. Turning to her companions, she leaned down, and softly stroked Chel's mane. "It's time to go." She whistled, "Come on, Solo."

Both creatures awoke, lively and ready for travel. Slinging her bag over her shoulder, she headed toward the mouth of the cave, and re-entered The Sea of Grass.
Derailey

Character sheet
Scrapbook

PreviousNext