[The Enclave] Break a Leg (Solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Vala on February 28th, 2011, 2:34 am

8th of Winter, 510 AV

“Are you sure?” Vala raised her eyebrows in disbelief. “Are you sure there’s no one else?”

“Well if you don’t-” the Avora sneezed violently into his handkerchief. “Sorry,” His voice was muffled with his nose all clogged up. “If you really don’t want to, we can ask another librarian...”

“No I want to do it!” Vala interjected, as the man sneezed again. “Its just that... why... why me?” Vala stepped back to avoid the spittle flying from sick man’s mouth.

The man looked up, tiredly, wishing that the girl would just shut up, take the job, and let him go to the dreaming lady to relax and heal, but he knew the girl was as persistent as hell, so he sucked it up and told her what she wanted to hear. “I’m sick, the assistant storyteller is sick, and the other assistant storyteller is sick. And none of the other librarians really want to deal with it unless we beg them. You’re the youngest librarian, and more likely to be able to handle the children because you connect to them.” The last line was complete bull and they both knew it, but Vala was still flattered they were asking her. That is, until she remembered she was deathly afraid of public speaking. She loved telling exaggerated tall tales if it was to help set up an exaggerated prank, but trying to keep an entire group of Yasi entertained was a whole different story.
sorry :
Sorry for the bad pun :D

“I uh so, what story am I reading?” The storyteller gave her a exasperated glare before blowing his nose into his handkerchief. Vala could tell she was pushing her luck, but she didn’t want to fail the first time she was given such an opportunity, especially since the storytellers were going to abandon her as soon as she said yes. “And uh, might you have any tips on how to... speak publicly?” Vala asked sheepishly.

“Uh, I’m too tired for this petch.” Vala frowned at the language but held her tongue: he was an Avora and she was a Chiet, she knew her place. “You can decide the story, and you’re a charming girl, I’m sure you’ll do fine. Now I really got to go, I feel like crap. I can’t do this anymore,” The storyteller groaned, holding his head, as he walked away, leaving Vala agape with panic.

“What do I do, what do I do?” Vala whispered to herself, flailing her hands. “Ok, first I need a story... oh goddess I only have three bells until the Yasi start coming, oh no, oh no, oh yes!” An idea popped into Vala’s head so violently she had to sit down in her excitement. “Goddess! Priskil! I’ll tell them a story about Priskil!” Vala brought her hands up to her mouth, muffling her words, as Kirna shushed her angrily from the reception table. Vala whispered a hushed “Sorry!” to her boss.

Vala ran to the stacks, heading straight to the shelves filled with the Lores of Mizahar’s many gods and goddesses. She pulled out scrolls and manuscripts, filling her arms with the paper knowledge, and walking to an empty formal study room. She gingerly placed the delicate scrolls down on the large table, spreading them out. She sat down, preparing herself for some research.

It took Vala a full bell to finally find the perfect story. “This,” Vala held up the worn scroll, “Is it.” Vala fist pumped at her luck. She actually didn’t mind having to take the time to read all the lores. She loved Priskil and was just happy to learn more about the radiant Goddess. She was even a little surprised at how little in the records there were about Priskil’s lover Aquiras. She was sad that she and many others knew so little about his sacrifice. She had to wipe away a burning tear with the back of her hand, when she read about his horrible, almost inconceivable fate to be trapped, in a weakened, almost incontinent, state in the abyss. Vala made a little promise to Priskil, that she would one day, when she was stronger, help destroy the jerk Saggallius Hrinn for hurting Priskil so.

Vala picked up the rest the other scrolls, all filled with flowing script of amazing stories Vala wished she could read again, piling them up in her arms. “Oh, here’s the one about Priskil powering watchstones; I’ll have to read this again.” Vala said as she held out another worn scroll before walking back to the stacks, putting everything away. She even spent a few chimes just cleaning up a bit, organizing everything, making sure all the books were in the right places.

With all the research taken care of - Vala had read the scroll so many times that she had basically memorized it verbatim - all Vala had to worry about now was actually telling the story. She wasn’t just nervous about messing up: stuttering, forgetting a line, or something even as horrible as farting while speaking: no, Vala was mostly afraid of misrepresenting Priskil’s story. It was one thing to shame herself, but to bring any shame or embarrassment to Priskil, Vala would never be able to forgive herself.

With scroll in hand Vala walked, anxiously to the octagonal room - to The Storyteller’s Well
Last edited by Vala on February 28th, 2011, 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For Me to Know, And You to Find Out

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Words: 439124
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2011, 7:22 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Vala on February 28th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Another Enclave patron passed by the Storyteller’s Well, ears picking up the near crazed muttering of Vala within. She stood , hunched over the scroll, trying to bring the story to life. “It was said that when Priskil and Aquiras joined on the heavenly plain...” Vala shook her head, “No...It wassaid...It was said” Vala paced around in a circle, finally taking a seat on one of the stone benches in the room. She cradeled her head in her hands, “Oh goddess, how am I going to do this? What if I mess up?” It took Vala a few more chimes before remembering who she was going to hold a tribute to - Priskil!

Vala got on her knees; grumbling a little about the cold stone floor. She clasped her hands together, closed her eyes, and took a deep breath. “Priskil, Goddess of radiance, hope, and vigilance. Please,” Vala squeezed her hands tightly, “please, give me the strength to say your story, give me the strength not the mess up, and the hope that the Yasi can appreciate the gifts that you give to use everyday.” Vala remained kneeling, waiting for a sign.

It wasn’t exactly what she was hoping for, but at least it helped Vala regain her composure. “Vala, what are you doing on your knees? The Yasi will be here in half a bell, are you ready?” Vala opened her eyes to see Kirna, the main assistant librarian Avora, standing before her. Vala stood up a little sheepishly.

“I was, uh...” Vala stuttered.

“What? What did you say? I can’t hear you, which is odd since we’re in the Storyteller’s Well. I hope you don’t mumble like this when you’re telling the story. If you want I can tell the story tonight.” Kirna offered while peeking at the scroll by Vala.

Vala exclaimed. “No!” The sound reverberated around the room. Vala coughed apologetically. “I meant no, I can do it. I was just praying to Priskil for strength and guidance and hope.... and I really hope I don’t mess up...” Vala confessed.

Kirna almost reached out to pat Vala’s head encouragingly, but stopped herself in time, just relying on instructive words instead. “Vala, you need to take a deep breath and calm down. You are a very charasmatic girl, reading a story to Yasi should pose no problem to you. Just make sure you follow these ten tips. 1. Know your material. By the looks of it you’ve memorized the scroll, verbatim?” Kirna raised her right eyebrow in disbelief. “2. Practice, practice, and practice some more. If all those strange exclamations I’ve been hearing for the past bell were you, then I’m sure you’ve practiced quite enough. 3. Know your audience. You were a yasi once, and I remember seeing you here quite often. You probably still remember what they like and how the like it told, so don’t fret too much about that. 4. Know the space. Again, you’ve been here before, and you’ve spent hours in this room today. I’m sure you know that the Yasi will be sitting all around you, not just in front, so you’ll have to move all around to use the space to its full potential. Make sure you don’t just stand there, frozen in one spot. 5. I think this is the most important one, so pay attention,” Kirna lowered her voice, just to gather suspense, “Relax!” She said with a smile. “You really need to loosen up Vala, you’re making it seem a lot harder than it already is. I know its a new experience, and new experiences are stressful, but over preparing and over thinking it just makes the situation worse. So just take a couple more deep breaths, think of your favorite things, and calm down. Actually I know I said ten tips, but five sounds like more than enough. I have to get back to reception, the Yasi will be here soon... break a leg!” Kirna adjusted her Byrda and walked away gracefully.

Vala tried not to hyperventilate.

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Vala on March 17th, 2011, 4:00 am

“It was said...”

“What? I can’t hear you back here.” A cocky Yasi called out, interrupting Vala from one of the higher steps of the Storyteller’s well. He snickered with the rest of his friends; they hadn’t wanted to come listen to a story, but it was winter, and there wasn’t much to do with the storm coming on: might as well annoy the nerds at the Enclave, they thought.

Vala took a deep breath, trying to calm the jittery nerves that were quickly transforming into waves of rage. A few of the eager Yasi in front glared at their disruptive peers behind; they wanted to hear the new story teller with her new story: they were growing tired of the same lores being told over and over again. Vala smiled pleasantly at the eager ones, like them, she too had always sat in the front row of the Storyteller’s well when she was a Yasi. She cleared her throat, and tried to continue. “It was said that when Priskil and Aquiras joined on the heavenly plain. Priskil would weave glass,” Vala plucked at the air and pretended to weave. “...from light and give it to her lover,” she lowered her voice, her tone softening sentimally. “...so that he would remember her whenever he had to leave. “Vala coughed into her hand to clear her throat. She picked up her head and readied herself to raise her tone to project again. Vala opened her mouth to continue, but was interrupted again; she sputtered angrily.

The same young Yasi and his band of friends sniggered louder at Vala’s emotional delivery. Their interruption helped Vala realize she had been standing as still as a rock in the middle of the storyteller well - not using her space effectively.

Her quick mind, came up with a brilliant idea to kill two birds with one stone. The boys continued to guffaw disruptively, reveling in the fact they had derailed Vala’s story. “As Aquiras journeyed the land, he saw young couples marry..” Vala said. She tried hard to project but her voice was still weak from lack of practice, many of the Yasi had to strain their ears to hear her perfectly, but at least they found her voice pleasant enough. She continued to walk up the steps, “...and if their love inspired the God, he would leave a glass token given by Priskil to him upon their doorstep.” As Vala walked up the steps, she pretended to leave a token at the foot of several benches; one younger yasi boy blushed at her closeness, but Vala made sure not to brush against anyone. “Motivated deeply by Aquiras’ gesture..” Vala projected that one line well, as her next line was whispered ominously, only into the ear of the rowdy yasi. “If you continue to disrupt me, I will be motivated deeply to rip your tongue out of your skull and throttle you with it. Underssssstood?” Vala hissed. The boy gulped, trying to stare down Vala but backed down when he noticed her crazed eyes. She smiled triumphantly.

She cleared her throat again, beaming charismatically at the confused yasi, who were wondering what she had whispered. “Priskil talked to Isur,” She walked back down the steps to the center of the room, flexing her muscles as she pretended to be Isur. “...to make the tools necessary for mortals to weave glass. Isure nodded and forged tools to weave the very light into sand. Upon completion Priskil peered through her glass gifts seeing all of the couples Aquiras had judged.”

Vala casually pointed at a cute yasi couple holding hands a few rows back, with a playful wink. “Priskil chose a couple that just had their fifth child and still loved one another like they did the day they married, and she gave them the tools and showed them how to craft glass from sand, so that it would always hold love in.” Vala puffed up her cheeks, pretending to blow and spin a glassworking blow pipe. “As time passed, the family grew and shared their knowledge with those who wished to learn it. Eventually it became a common gesture to place a piece of glass at the foot of the newlywed couple’s doorstep during the wedding night.” Vala furrowed her brows, looking again at the trouble maker who was now sulking in the back, thankfully quietly. “If the glass ever broke then it was said that their love would break as well.” Vala bared her sharp canines in a feral smile, making sure to make direct eye contact with the boy.

A few of the yasi sighed, in discontent, from the unhappy ending. In an attempt to free style, Vala made up a new ending on the spot, without a care about actual accuracy. “And even to this day, as Priskil guards her lover Aquiras, she weaves the world's light into beautiful, ethereal sculptures that she sends to our glassblowers in their dreams, who make the creations come to life in our own Glass Reverie... The End.”

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Flicker on April 10th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Character: Vala

Skill Experience Award: Recitation 3, Researching 2, Storytelling 2.

Lores:
Fishing for Compliments
Not taking the hint
Feeling holier-than-thou when others swear
Saved by faith
Priskil stories
Guidelines for reciting a story to an audience
Dealing with heckling miscreants
Audiences aren't evil

Comments: This was a pleasant read. Don't forget that Priskil is also given credit for fire in the Inartan society.

If you find something I've missed or made a mistake with, feel free to communicate with me via PM or office.
For the GingieBreadHeads ...or those amongst them

Flicker
WHOA! Whatwasthat?!

Words: 59097
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2010, 3:04 am
Race: Staff account
Office