[Flashback] Don't pull too hard on the reins [Solo Training]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Alevadra Druva on November 6th, 2010, 9:38 pm

12th of Spring, 498AV

Alevadra’s hands were covered in blisters, she had been arching for the past two days, and in between sleeping, eating and arching, Alevadra had spent time with Lyris, the horse she had been assigned to. The Druva would brush Lyris, clean out her hooves and practice dressing the horse. Lyris seemed bored with the tasks, but perked up when the young woman began to cut up an apple into smaller chunks.

The morning of the 12th began with Lyris. Alevadra left her room, dressed and ready for another long day of training and self-betterment. The sun was just cresting over the walls of Stormhold as the squire entered the stables. Even with the early bell, the stables were busy with pages, squires and knights a like. Ale was able to avoid most of the traffic by squeezing between large draft horses and busy pages.

After a chime or two of dodging horses, knights and the various bucket of feed, Ale reached Lyris. She seemed to still be sleeping, her rear right leg was cocked, relaxed. A dull snore could be heard from the horse’s nostrils as hot, moist, air was exhaled.

“Lyris, wake up, it’s going to be a long day.” The small woman said, her left hand patting the rump of the horse. Lyris perked, her tail flicked slightly. “I thought I would practice riding again before I saw Ser Frent again. And… Perhaps to give my hands a rest. Ale smiled at the beast, who looked back at her with sleepy eyes.

The squire quickly went to groom the horse, getting a large brush, which Ale had to use both hands to use. The Druva started on Lyris’s neck, she followed the flow of the creature’s coat, short, quick brushes. In the streams of morning light, dust flew from the horses fur as the brush kicked it up. Alevadra slowly moved from the horses neck down along her legs, and barrel. The young woman was careful to go with the grain of the fur. It took almost a full bell for Ale to finish brushing off Lyris. “Do you think you’re awake enough for a ride now?” Ale asked the horse as she put away the brush, dusting off her own hands.

Lyris lifted her head slightly, much like a nod. A smile creased Ale’s face as she watched the horse. First, the blanket was taken off of the stall wall and placed over Lyris’s back, and then the saddle, with some struggle, was also placed over the horse. After the saddle was in place, Ale busied herself with tightening the tunnel loop under Lyris, positioning the flank cincha in the center of her body. With a few tight tugs, Ale tightened the saddle as much as she was physically able; making sure it was not too tight on her mount.

After the saddle was in place, Ale fetched the bridle, placing the bit in Lyris’s mouth. She then looped the strips of leather over Lyris’s head and neck, putting her ears through the proper places and tightening the chin strap so it was taught. After the bridle was on, Ale took the reins and placed them behind the horses head, looping them over the horn on the saddle.

With a small clicked noise, Ale ushered Lyris out of her stall and into the traffic of the stable, it had cleared out significantly compared to the morning. Once the two were out of the stables, Ale slipped her left foot into the stirrup and heaved herself over the horse. Once settled on Lyris’s back, she patted the creatures neck, brushing mane to the right side of her neck. “Well it’s time to get going, Lyris.”

OOCSorry about the silly mistakes I have been making. I will try to remember the “Ser/a” thing this time around! Thank you. :D
Who needs love when you have honor and dignity?
Alevadra Druva
Syliran Knight

Words: 151878
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2010, 11:39 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Alevadra Druva on April 11th, 2011, 3:19 am

Lyris seemed to perk up once the young woman was on her back. Finally! The horse would endure more than just grooming and suiting up. Although, the lazy horse did enjoy all the apples she had been getting. The young page and small horse slowly trotted away from the stables towards a small staging area where horse training was commonplace, an arena of sorts.

“Today will be simple, turns again, and perhaps the smallest jump at a trot. Ale thought to herself as her hands tugged the reins, directing Lyris. The stout horse appeared almost excited to be entering the area, surrounded by other horses and riders. The horse seemed distracted by the action occurring around them, the Druva struggled to control the excited and slightly perplexed horse. “Lyris,” Ale clicked her tongue against the top of her mouth as she tugged the reins to the right, leading the horse to the edge of the arena.

“Good morning, Druva.” Ale turned her head to see George Jachum, another page who was a few years older than Ale, he was probably around fifteen years older, and was better at riding a horse than he was at walking. “Taking Lyris out? What do’ya plan on doing today?” George was a friendly fellow, but his ego was too large around other pages. “Just trying to get the feel of Lyris still, we’ll also be practicing some low jumps.” Ale smiled at her elder, who was sitting on his own horse, a smoky colored stallion named Dinger. “Oh yeah, that’s pretty easy, I can show you how to do it if you want.” Ale wouldn’t turn down help, she knew George was a good rider, but with her Druva blood, it wouldn’t take long for her to ride as well as he did. “I would appreciate such help, Jachum.”

The young man smirked and nodded slightly, his right hand reached out and patted his horses neck roughly. “Lets go, Dinger.” George urged his horse forward with his heels and a sharp whistle. Dinger took off, startling Lyris slightly, who stepped sideways, agitated. Dinger and Jachum were at a gallop twice as fast as Ale. The page and his horse approached a low jump that had been set up, the jump was a small wooden stand, two upside down T’s with a few slats of old, warped wood held the T’s apart. Dinger lifted off the ground smoothly, George leaned down against his horse as they jumped, sitting up mid jump before they landed. George’s legs tensed, lifting his rear from the saddle, the balls of his feet held his weight against the stirrups.

The two landed, Jachum has a smug grin on his face as he turned Dinger to trot back toward Alevadra. “See? Easy.” He said it more like a dare than a statement. Ale could feel a small, angry, flame spark in the pit of her stomach. “Yeah, easy.”
Alevadra Druva
Syliran Knight

Character sheet

Postby Alevadra Druva on April 11th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Ale clenched her teeth. She knew if she couldn't do this, George would never let her forget it. “You're part Drykas! You're a Druva! And you can't even make a small jump?!” Ale could not let such shame befall her or her families name. Blistered hands gripped a reins, as Ale prepared herself. Jachum was looking on with a small smirk, expecting Ale to not perform to his expectations. With a sudden jab from her heels, Lyris started off, Ale did not pick up speed as quickly and George and Dinger had, but she was near a full Gallop as the jump approached. Ale's legs were so tense, she began to lose sensation. Lyris's front hooves lifted off the ground, her rear legs pushed off hard and the small horse propelled the two over the jump. Ale, was not entirely prepared for the jump, she had not leaned forward with Lyris, and struggled to remain on the horse, but her tense legs which gripped Lyris's sides aided her and kept her from tumbling to the dirt floor.

The two landed hard, and shocks went through Lyris and up Ale's legs, causing her teeth to clank together. A single person began to clap once Lyris's four hooves were back on the ground. The Druva turned her head to see George, his smile was gone, and once the two made eye contact he stopped. “I was half expecting you not to make it, Druva.” George said as Ale and Lyris made their way back to the elder Page. “I don't see why you would doubt me.” Ale smirked slightly. “If you don't mind, Jachum, I do have to train with Lyris for a while, it has been fun, I'm sure I will see you later this evening.” A small nod was all the acknowledgement that George felt like granting before he turned and took Dinger back towards the stables.

Ale began to trot with Lyris around the perimeter of the arena, the balls of her feet pressed into the stirrups. If her legs were too tense, the shocks would go through her body, but if she was too loose, the same problem would happen, although the shocks would be more like rough bounces. It took a few laps for Ale to find the perfect harmony. By the time Alevadra had gotten the hang of it, her thighs were burning. “Do you think it's time for a break, Lyris? It certainly feels like it's time for one on my end.” Lyris did not react to the pages words, but Ale soon slowed the horse to a halt and dismounted, her legs were so like jelly that she found it hard to stand straight.

After a moment to regain her posture, the young page reached into her belt pouch and took out a shiny green apple and then a small knife. “Don't even think about it, Lyris, this one is for me.” The horse still continued to stare at the fruit, as if hoping the fruit would magically end up in her mouth. Ale cut the fruit into fourths and began to eat the chunks of fruit, her back was leaned up against the fence that surrounded the arena. What if George's suspicions of my incompetence are correct? What if I am a failure at riding? Ale looked at the saddle on Lyris's back with sad, almost longing eyes. Lyris took a step towards Ale, her snout bowing towards the half remaining apple. “No.”

The Druva quickly and quietly finished the remaining chunks. With her weak legs, Ale struggled for a moment getting back on Lyris, but once she was there, Ale started the horse up again, this time moving on to a gallop around the perimeter of the arena. Ale leaned forward so her chest was almost touching the back of Lyris's neck, her reins remained loose and her legs were tucked up tight against Lyris's heaving sides. The young Page closed her eyes for a moment and took a slow, deep breath. George was wrong, he had to be wrong, how could this be to peaceful to her and feel so perfect if she was incompetent? He had to be wrong.
Alevadra Druva
Syliran Knight

Character sheet

Postby Alevadra Druva on April 11th, 2011, 5:15 pm

“Alevadra Druva! Pay attention!” A deep voice rang out across the arena. Ale tensed up, her arms pulled back as she sat up straight suddenly. Her eyes shot open as she saw Ser Frent. Her arms had tensed too much, and she had pulled back on the reins too suddenly. Lyris reared up, and a startled Alevadra found herself tumbling off the back of Lyris and onto the hard dirt below. “Ale!” Frent ran across the arena to were Ale had fallen. Lyris did not wander far from Ale or Frent, she seemed to stay fairly still next to the two. “Oh by the gods, Ale, you need to focus! Are you alright?” Ale had the wind knocked out of her, and likely was going to have a bruise and bump on her head, but otherwise she seemed fine. “I'm glad you scold me then make sure I'm alright, Ser.” Ale said as she coughed, catching her breath again. The page started to sit up with the help of Frent. “Well, you should know better then to daydream. Day dreaming will get you killed.” Frent helpped Ale to her feet and dusted off the young woman's back. “What were you practicing anyways?” “Trots, gallops and small jumps.” Frent nodded as he stepped towards Lyris, patting the horses side for a few moments before speaking. “I was looking for you. I thought I would see if you would like to go for a ride just outside of Stormhold, then we could get you some dinner.”

Alevadra blinked for a few moments. She would not protest to spending time with Frent, she did indeed enjoy his company, but he had always acted as if being around her was a chore. He was her elder by a fair amount and a knight on top of it. “Don't you have knightly things todo, Ser?” “Naaaah...” The man smirked slightly towards Ale. “My main knightly duty is to see you train well and hard, it's the least I could do for your parents.” Ale made a slight nod and smiled, moving and taking Lyris's reins in her hand. “Well, in that case, I will not protest to spending time with you, Frent.” “Good! Maybe this time you'll be able to stay on Lyris rather than be bucked off again, yeah?” Ser Frent pushed the young woman slightly as the two walked towards the stables. “It won't take me long, I'll meet you by the north gate.”

Frent had quickly vanished back into the stable before Ale could even mutter a word. With a small sigh, Lyris and Alevadra slowly walked towards the North gate, Ale leading the horse through the streets.

The two reached the gate and found themselves waiting for near fifteen chimes before they could see Ser Frent riding towards them. Ale was still standing next to Lyris and found herself struggling to get on the horse before Frent reached her. The young page was still adjusting when Frent slowed down next to her. “I figure a bell or two would be enough for tonight.” Ser Frent began a slow walk with his stallion as Ale and Lyris followed next to them. “I want to see you follow me.” That was all Frent said before he kicked up dust and headed down the road.

Ale did as she was told and dug her heels into Lyris, following Frent the best she could. The man was on a fast horse, and he was a skilled rider, he knew what he was doing, and he certainly could lose Alevadra if he had wanted. A sharp left off the road and into prairie grass, Ale followed. A right, another left, in between trees. Ale twisted and turned with Frent, her legs pressing againist the left of Lyris if she wanted to go right, and the right if she wanted to go left. Ale still struggled to maintain control of the horse at high speeds, but after near twenty chimes of this game, she began to get the hang of it, even with her burning legs.

The long grasses hit the horse and rider in the face, creating small insignificant scratches across the Druva's face as she rode. Her ears focused on the sound of Frent before her, and Lyris beneath her. Frent was clicking, encouraging his horse, giving him keys as to which direction Frent wanted the stallion to take. Lyris was heaving, already tired from the romp in the arena, this was only exhausting the mare more.

Frent slowed to a stop, allowing Ale to fully catch back up with him. “Good job, you didn't lose me! You also kept a good distance, I could barely hear you over the other noises.” Ser Frent reached out and patted Ale on the back then started to steer his horse back to the general direction of the road. “You know, you're going to have to learn how to arch on Lyris here. And that won't be easy. Perhaps I'll show you a few moons from now.” The man said with a smirk.
Alevadra Druva
Syliran Knight

Character sheet

Postby Alevadra Druva on April 11th, 2011, 5:59 pm

Alevadra laughed quietly at Patrick. It sounded potentially disastrous to have her on a horse trying to arch, the idea sounded like quite a bad idea the more the young woman thought about it. “I'm not sure if that is the next best thing for me to do...” Ser Frent chuckled, ruffling his own messy hair. “Nah, I think you're ready, just practice a few more times with the coming days with arching and then we'll see how you do.”

The two rode in silence for a moment, Ale lightly patting the side of Lyris's neck. The horse was tired, and probably expecting a bushel of apples that evening. “I will work on arching this week, Ser.” Patrick glanced over at Ale with a soft smile. “You are your mother's daughter, I have utmost confidence that you will learn arching much faster than your peers. Or even me, for that matter.”

A sad smile crossed her face, the young woman hoped that she would be able to live up to the legacy of her mother, and not just live in her shadow. “Hey, maybe dinner will be more than just stew, eh? How about a nice bloody steak?” Ser Frent licked his lips and sighed. “Of course it won't be a steak, but I can wish, right?” Ale smiled and laughed at her elder. “Of course we can hope. Maybe after I'm knighted we can have steak.” Patrick let out a low grumbling laugh. “Sure, that will only take ten more years.”

The Druva stuck her tongue out at the man. “I won't take that long!” “Oh, really?” “Really.” Patrick went silent for a moment, stroking his chin as his eyes narrowed, he appeared to be thinking about the woman's determination. “Well then.... If you're so confident... Then you can beat me to the gate.” Just as the word 'Gate' slipped from his lips, Ser Frent was off.

Alevadra spurred Lyris forward with an encouraging nudge from her heels. The mare kicked up dirty as she picked up speed. “This isn't fair, Ser! Lyris has been worked all day!” Patrick looked over his shoulder at Ale smiling slightly for a moment before his attention returned forward.

Ale leaned forward, placing her head behind Lyris's ears, peering between the floppy forelock of the mare. “Come on, Lyris, if we can't beat him, was should be able to at least keep pace with him.” The page urged her horse, and Lyris sped up, not by much, but enough for the rump of Patrick's horse to be even with the head of Lyris.

The two sped towards the gate, slowing down to a halt just before a crowd of people. “Huh, maybe we will get those steaks sooner than ten years from now.” Ser Frent smirked, and lead the way towards dinner.” Fin.
Alevadra Druva
Syliran Knight

Character sheet

Postby Leviathan on May 8th, 2011, 11:29 pm

Thread Award!
Alevadra

Skills
Skill Gain Info.
Horsemanship 2 --
Riding 4 --

Lore
N/A
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook