[The Infirmary] A Hissy Fit (Solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Aidara on April 21st, 2011, 7:42 pm

6th of Spring, 511 AV
The Infirmary, Wind Reach

Smoothing her hair as she paced, Aidara tried to talk herself through what she was going to do. The Avora-turned-Endal woman was actually having a bit of an identity crisis. In a place such as Wind Reach, where everything is dependent on the castes and everyone doing their job, it was hard to jump from one familiar pool into another deeper, scarier, unfamiliar one. Light hearted and happy-go-lucky, Addy had fit in perfectly among the other Avora, while reaping the benefits of having a high flying (no pun intended) twin. Sai effectively got everything the twins needed that would have normally been out of reach for a lowly Healer.

But now the twins were techinically equals, except not really. Sai was the head of the Endal Caste, and Addy was in essence just a newbie. A fledgling to the order. But caste wise, they were finally on even footing. So what does that mean? Over the years, Addy watched her sister grow and mature, leaving the more foolish, childlike qualities behind her. She became tough, hard, and passionate about her job. So, understandably, this is what Addy thought she had to become as well. It would take a while before the woman realized that she could still be herself as an Endal, there wasn't a mold that they all had to fit into. There wasn't a checklist of behaviors they all had to exhibit. It was just responsibility. There was now certain things Addy couldn't say or do in public, because she was now a Representative of the highest caste. But that doesn't mean complete personality change.

And so, Aidara floundered in this middle ground while this important realization fluttered just out of her grasp. She still tried to be like her sister, attempting to angrily boss people around (granted, in retrospect Addy realized she had inflated her sisters amount of bossiness in her head overtime, and she wasn't really that bad). She also tried to walk around like she had important things to do, no matter if this was really the case or not. She stuck her nose in everyones business and tried make everyone follow all the rules. It was the obvious mark of one lacking the finesse required when wielding any type of power, and what the brandy-new Endal was about to do was a perfect example of that.

She was pacing, talking to herself, and fidgeting with her clothes as if the straightening and tugging of the fabric would make what she was about to try and do any easier. Aidara was outside the Infirmary, which was conveniently empty except for it's constant caretaker, Kara. Just the thought of the older woman made Addy's blood pressure rise, as she was a bit more on edge these days. She was getting less sleep with all her new duties as well as mentally exhausting herself with her attempts at being what she assumed an Endal should be. Going back to Kara, Addy believed that the woman was far from qualified to run the Infirmary. Medicine was especially close to Aidara's heart, and it pained her to see someone who could care less about the art (yes, art) let the Infirmary fall into disrepair, and take no initiative to make it a better healing facility.

So Addy was going to do something about it. Today. Now. With one final twitch of her newly embroidered vinati so that it lay flat on her hips, a deep breath and a roll of her shoulders, Addy pushed past the front door and stepped into the Infirmary. Having readied herself to be hit with the strong smell of antiseptic that you find anywhere wounds are treated and medicine practiced, it took Addy a few minutes to figure out what was wrong. That overpowering smell was missing. Not only that, but there were empty beds without sheets or blankets. The shelves that held the different medicines were half empty, empty spaces in the lineup of bottles nearly screaming neglect.

It took another few moments for Aidara to find Kara. And when she did, the small woman wished she hadn't. The older woman was perched on one of the observation stools, her feet kicked up onto one of the sanitized beds (the footprints she left made Addy's eye twitch) next to the small fire she had going in the fireplace....reading a book. Pausing only long enough to slow her breathing and attempt to rid herself of most of the anger she felt, Addy wasted no time as she stormed over to the lounging caretaker.

"WHAT is going on? What do you think you're doing? I am almost ninety percent sure that this is NOT PROPER PROTOCOL!"

Though she hadn't intended to, the minute she opened her mouth the words poured out at full volume. Apparently, Addy was having trouble modulating her voice in her furious state of mind. Her pale complexion had flushed a deep red, the blush covering her cheeks, neck and even down into her chest. Her breathing was shallow, as if she'd just rung up the mountain, and her green eyes flashed dangerously. To anyone else, this would seem like an over reaction, but Aidara took the healing business seriously. It was a personal assault to see this type of neglegance.

Kara sat bolt upright when Addy started screaming at her. The book she was reading fell to the floor, and her feet clattered against the side of her bed as she hurried to sit back in her chair properly. "There was no one here.. I was...It's so slow...There isn't anything for me to..." Wide eyed and shaking like a leaf, Kara stared at Addy with pure fear. Flustered and unable to form a complete sentence, the woman just fell off into silence, shrinking in on herself in the face of Addy's rage.

"Well, I was just going to stop by, have a friendly chat and discuss what we could possibly do to give this place the pampering it deserves, as it is a bit rough around the edges. But, after seeing THIS" A wild gesture to where Kara cowered in here chair, which was now pushed back to the wall and as far away from Addy as she could get. It's true, Addy had been planning to use her newly found power to give a place where she spend a lot of her time a nice makeover. "I think something more drastic is in order. After all the hours I put in helping here, you'd think people would have a bit more respect to communal property" This last bit was to herself as she turned away from Kara with a disgusted snort.

"As you know, Kara, I have bonded with a Wind Eagle and I am of the Endal now. But this does not mean that I care any less about the medicine that I have dedicated the better part of my life too. Did you think that I was going to just forget about the infirmary?" The last wasn't really a question. Striding over to the shelf with the poor supply of medicinal bottles, each of the empty spots was given an exaggerated gesture so that Kara would be able to see and comprehend Addy's unspoken point. "Nothing to do? I see plenty to do. PLENTY!"

"Well, MA'AM We all don't have the time or motivation that you do. Not everyone is perfect, and you are far from it yourself. So what if I don't have an obsessive dedication to this place like you do? People get healed. I cure their coughs. Lay off." It said quite a lot that Kara would give an outburst like that. But the normally meek woman was on her feet, just as red faced as Addy, embarrassment turning to anger, defiance written in every wrinkle on her face.

Of course, this got an even bigger reaction of the Endal who was already on the last strings of patience. Following Kara's retort even Sai, who was of somewhere in the midst of the city, would have been able to hear the twang as those strings exploded, loosing her temper. "YOU ARE DONE! GET OUT! How dare you talk to me this way? Kara, I hereby state that you are not fit to work in the infirmary, care of it or the patience that seek treatment here. You may leave." Crossing her arms in a gesture of finality, Addy pressed her lips into a hard, thin line and glared at the woman until the door slammed closed behind her.

It wasn't until the door slammed shut that Addy realized she was holding her breath. As the door came in contact with it's frame, the air left her lungs in one explosive breath. Suddenly weary, the small woman practically collapsed against a wall, running a delicate hand over her face. "What did I just do..."
Last edited by Aidara on April 25th, 2011, 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Words: 946840
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 5:20 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 10
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Aidara on April 24th, 2011, 3:28 am

7th of Spring, 511 AV

After hours of berating herself, aimlessly wandering the dark, inner reaching corridors of the city, and a fitful nights sleep, Addy was no closer to an answer. She had messed up, big time.

Well, in the scope of things, Endal threw tantrums like that on a regular basis. There had been plenty of mornings where the breakfast entertainment was provided by a newly fledged Endal balking at the quality of food provided, when it had been satisfactory all the years prior. Dek relieved beatings from volatile Endal who didn't like the way they were looked at in the hallway, or if the unfortunate soul had bumped into them while passing each other. Outbreaks were commonplace. But not for this Endal. Aidara had always told herself, ever since she was little and had the big, Endal dream that she would never act that way. How dreams changed when they became reality.

On a meager few hours sleep, the sound of Sai and Catabasis expelling themselves from his aerie next to her room roused her once she'd finally managed to drift off. Throwing back the covers, it was back to pacing the corridors while she battled with her disgust for herself. Addy hadn't undressed before getting into bed the previous evening, so there was no time wasted getting ready.

Unsure of how long she had been wandering for, Addy soon found herself where she least wanted to be: standing outside the Infirmary door. Her actions and the chain of events from the evening before had plagued her dreams, as well as her waking thoughts. She was trying to run from her mistake, and it simply wasn't working. It was something she had to face.

With a deep sigh, the heavy infirmary door was shoved open. Half heartedly, Addy hoped to find Kara inside, angry or apologetic, ready to work and... well, save her from having to fix it all. But of course, the room was empty. And eerily quiet. "Well, petch."

And then her methodical side switched on. All at once, the Infirmary went from a dreary place, screaming of her overreaction to a bright, shiny ball of opportunity. With sparkles, rainbows and cute little baby animals there to cheer her on.

But seriously, the inspiration struck Addy like a lightning bolt. Within moments, she was a flurry of movement. Writing implements were found, as well as a sheet of parchment. And the to-do list began.

"One: Restock medicines. Two: Sweep the floor, clean the fireplace, dust the ledges, and replace the beds. Three: Request more shelves to be carved. Four: More lighting, more lighting more lighting. Five: Artwork. Six:..." On and on she wrote. Now that she saw the opportunity she had, Addy planned on taking full advantage of it.

The Infirmary was under new management.
Last edited by Aidara on April 25th, 2011, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Aidara on April 25th, 2011, 4:57 am

8th of Spring, 511AV

"Nope, nope! Over there, we need a couple more shelves over each bed, and all along the walls. There is not enough wall space to hang cabinets so I'm going to need them relatively deep, please. Thank you. You, sir, I need new beds. I think these are from before the Valterrian and they're not even going to support a sparrow's weight. The sleeker the better. Those lights need to go up higher! A bit more...a bit more...more... Ah! About there!"

Addy moved fluidly from one worker to another. The Infirmary was packed with people, and she stood on a stool by the door, overseeing it all; she needed the stool to be able to see over everyones heads. The way she waved her hands around were a little bit reminiscent of a conductor. There were multitudes of men and women milling about, measuring, gauging spaces, creating layouts or just pondering, creating ideas. There were stonemasons, glassworkers, other healers, leather workers, wood workers... Any Avora friend Addy could conceivably contact to help, she did. The result was stupendous. The Infirmary was getting a complete, head to toe, back to front make over.

"Aidara?" Came the rather tentative call from the hallway. Turning, Addy saw a hand sticking up above the heads of the people streaming in and out of the door, stepped down from her stool and headed towards the other small figure swathed by the crowd, curious as to who it could be. Shouldering between hips and ducking under swinging arms and persons heavily laiden with materials, Addy finally made it to her caller.

"Ah, Brandyn! I am so glad to see you. Lets see what you've got there, shall we?" With a kindly smile, the small woman stepped up to the lanky teenage boy whose arms were full of papers. "I'm guessing these are the lists and invitations I asked for?"

"Yes ma'am! Every healing Avora on record, though I am sure there are more. I asked around as well. I wrote out the other invitation just as you asked. I used my best handwriting, though towards the end my hand got a little cramped." This last bit was said with a note of disappointment. Aidara plied her dimples and reached up to pat the young man soundly on his shoulder

"You know you did lovely. Anyone's hand would have cramped. I couldn't have asked for more. Can I ask you one last favor? If you would take these to my aerie, my sister will show you where to set them down. I am loathe to leave them here amongst all the chaos and ruin your fabulous work." Confidence boosted, Brandyn nodded enthusiastically, turned on his heal and strode importantly off towards the Endal's living wing. With an indulgent shake of her head, Addy turned back to the Infirmary doorway while sending a silent warning to her sister

I'm having some papers dropped off Sai, if you could be so kind as to set them aside for me. This place is chaos! I'm utterly amazed. You didn't scare people into helping, did you?

Warm fondness filled her mental voice as she teased her twin. Ever since she had become and Endal, Addy had been able to talk to her sister where before they only had the flood of each others emotions to feed off of. It was a delightful twist, though they sometimes forgot their new ability. "Emotional Rape" as they called it, was still their favorite form of communication. It was easier for them to express themselves with no words at all, sometimes.

That job set aside, Addy went back to her surveying of all the work. Though she hardly realized it, being in a place of position changed her perceptively over the last three days. No longer was she trying to strut around and wave her tail feathers in the faces of those she thought were supposed to be insubordinate to her. She was cool and collected, issuing orders that were followed with the same easy manner that she had possessed while still of Avora rank. The downside was this slip back into her real skin went unnoticed. Needless to say, if Addy started thinking about it again she would probably revert. Change was hard, especially for the older twin. And this was one of the biggest changes of all. She had been dreaming of this for years upon years. Anyone who has a dream knows that it is built up much bigger in ones head than reality really turns out to be.

But, everyone has to figure that out for themselves. Some just take longer than others.
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Aidara on April 25th, 2011, 3:11 pm

It was a lighter heart and weary muscles that Aidara trooped back up to the aerie she shared with her sister. Everything thus far had gone according to plan, the work was well under way and to be completed before she could even bat an eye. It was more than she could have hoped to ask for.

For the second night in a row, Addy fell into bed without even getting undressed. The night prior had left the woman tossing and turning in her sleep, snatching only a few precious hours of the dream world before her conscious kicked her in the face and woke her back up. Tonight was completely different. Her conscious slept soundly, and so did she.

It seemed another trend was beginning, for in the morning Addy was up even before Sai, and she had forgone her ritualistic trip down to the kitchens for a big breakfast...and it looked like she was doing homework. Tousle headed and somewhat groggy, Sai stumped from her room after being woken from the constant shuffling of papers coming from the common area. "Who are you and what the petch have you done with my Sister. Get out, evil spirit. Out." Faking warding signs, and grumping her way to the front door, Sai left without another word.

The whole transaction went right over Addy's head, as she was just that deeply engaged in her work. The papers she had collected for her the day before was actually a master list of every healer that the city possessed, and a brief summary of their skills. Addy was about to do some hiring, though it pained her, to take over for her once the Infirmary was complete. There simply weren't enough hours in the day. With her new status, Addy had other duties that she now had to tend too, leaving her barely any time at all to spend in the Infirmary, and after the fit she threw at Kara, it would be bad form to be just as negligent (if in a different way) towards the place. No, she needed someone there full time. The place my be slow of customers, but when someone did come in needing help... there simply had to be someone there.

So came the job of picking her replacement. Though she might only have one Gnosis mark, and not as much practice on human flesh as she would have liked with her other medicinal skills, Addy had been reading. A lot. For years. She knew what she was doing. And she wanted to make sure that she was found a replacement that also knew what they were doing.

It didn't take very long, and soon there was a small pile of papers next to a larger stack. The tall one was disregarded, and the short stack was gathered, straightened, double checked, and held in hand while Addy trouped out the door. It was only a few moments before Addy rushed back into the aerie, and into her sisters room. There was a whole lot of shuffling noises and when Addy appeared again, there was a smug grin on her face and a little bar of chocolate clutched in her hand. Like a child with a prize.

The chocolate went to the first Chiet she could find, along with the instructions to find the people circled on the list she handed over first. Then, she handed over the pile of invitations second, telling the young man to give one of those to every circled name he found. The invitation read:

I need YOU!
After much consultation of many lists and the sorting through of many names, you have been chosen!
Perhaps it was because I liked your name, but most likely it's because of your healing prowess and abundant skills.
For a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, come down to the Infirmary for an Interview.

Sincerely yours, with love and kisses,

Eager to please after his very rare, and unexpected treat, the Chiet dashed off as soon as Addy was done speaking. Armed with her dimples, an infectious smile and an extremely good mood, Addy went back down to the Infirmary to wait.
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Aidara on April 27th, 2011, 8:17 pm

The turnout was everything she expected.

Even before she had time to set up her little table with it's little stool in the corridor off which the Infirmary branched, men and women alike were approaching Addy. Some hesitant, as if unsure whether it was a joke, or if they were even in the right place, while others stepped forward boldly to demand the Healers attention. All had her invitation clutched in their hands, in pockets, folded neatly or rolled tightly and used as a baton to strike nervously against walls, extremities or even other people. Grinning happily, Addy greeted all those that approached, turning them away to stand in line with an acknowledging nod and a directing gesture. For those who looked nervous or rather unsure of themselves, she made sure to catch their gaze with her own before giving a little wink or smile just for them.

In only a matter of a few chime, the slow influx quickened to a trickle of applicant, and then a full on flood. This was turning out to be a massive job interview. Unprepared for such an outpouring of interest, Addy soon realized that her cute little setup in the corridor was going to quickly become disastrous. Her mental wheels began to turn, and even as she quickly searched for a solution Addy saw things quickly going downhill. A heavily burdened Drudge tried to work her way through the milling mass of people, none of which would move aside for her. Either very dedicated to her job or particurarly dim witted, the Dek went about jostling one man here, another woman there as she worked her way from the edge of the crowd to the middle. One of the drudges packs swung out to the left as she moved, smacking one of the applicants square in the back of the head. And that's all it too. The slightly anxious, rather high strung group of people exploded into an angry mass. In a matter of seconds, Addy lost sight of the dek and while it was the creatures own fault, she couldn't have a death on her hands.

A sharp, shrill whistle made the few Inartans at the edge of the crowd who had stepped away from the fight wince in pain, covering their ears. It took Addy two more piercing whistles and standing up onto her desk before heads began to turn towards her. The angry mob dissolved into irritation, and the poor dek fled, burden-less, crying and bloody from the scene.

"All of you leave. I will not tolerate anyone under my jurisdiction to behave in that manner. If you cannot be mindful of even the lowest dek's health, then how can I expect you to care for the most needy and pathetic of those who fall ill?" Well aware that she held a standard of living that many people in Wind Reach didn't agree with, Addy was not one to back down from her beliefs. Dek deserve their lowly position, yes she knew that, but they didn't deserve maltreatment at the hands of their betters. "How are any of you any better than that druge for attacking her? I expect them to attack you out of stupidity, not the other way around. I thought I sent out my invitations to the brightest and most talented. I have been proven wrong." The normally cheery tone that Addy possessed was replaced with one laden with scathing disappointment. Shame and anger at how her people had acted burned a deep crimson on her cheeks and throat, green eyes flashing with a fire that dared anyone to question her right now.

"Go." It was a harsh dismissal, and most of the crowd stood dumbfounded and unmoving. "Run along, little sheep." With a flick of her wrist as if to shoo away a pesky bug, Addy turned her back on the crowd. From behind her, she heard a silence that only shock and dismay in great quantities could produce, and the eventual shuffling of feet that receded in both directions down the corridor.

Drooping with disappointment, Addy leaned back against her little desk and ran a weary hand over her face a few times. From the corner of her eye, she spotted an older man in a green tunic talking with a girl barely out of her teens a few meters away.

"Excuse me, will you two come here please. Raising my voice completely wears me out, would you be so kind as to carry these inside for me?" Dredging up a small smile, Addy indicated to the chair and the desks. Wordlessly the two obliged, following the small woman back into the infirmary. The inside was still a mess, though all the work was complete.

"Wow..." Breathed the girl, the older gentleman mutely nodding his agreement.

Wow was right. Only a massive amount of hard work could be responsible for a makeover such as this. Before, the infirmary was a bland, sad place filled with sad, sick people. Now, it was nothing short of a masterpiece.

Upon entering the Infirmary, one walks directly into a waiting area. This consists of a long, deep bench carved into the wall to the left of the doorway. There was a finely wrought stone coffee table that ran the length of the bench, topped with plants and some generic reading materials. To the right of the doorway, was a row of hooks for visitors to hang their cloaks.

Directly in front of the door was a curtain hung from a metal bar that stretched the length of the room, from ceiling to floor, partitioning off the sick bay from the waiting area. A small bed at the far end of the waiting area, adorned with blankets and pillows, was for those who wished to stay the night with their loved one.

Behind the curtain, the rest of the infirmary was now a large square, with a little cubbyhole office situated in the far wall. The narrow, pathetic beds that had formally been used for the sick patients were replaced with a dozen wider, more comfortable and supportive model. However, since the materials for these beds were rather expensive, there was also a new type of bed installed. The freestanding beds were placed in three rows of four in the middle of the room with enough space in between and on all sides for movement and a fair amount of privacy. Along the three walls (the fourth "wall" being the large curtain) were more beds, but these were built into the stone. Roughly as wide as the freestanding beds and just as comfortable (as they were obviously supplied with a mattress and bedding), they did somewhat limit movement. The wallbed's occupant would only be able to sit propped up, unless they were a small child, as the height of the bed was not all that high. This is because along the walls, at about a normal sized-Inartan's shoulder height, were shelves for all of the necessities of the Infirmary. There were two shelves that ran parallel to each other a handspan apart all the way around the entire infirmary, giving more than enough storage space. At the foot of each bed was a small wooden chest for the sick patients clothes and whatever other belongings they had with them. The wallbed's chest was a small, square hollow in the wall area under their bed near the floor.

Probably one of the most important additions was the lighting. Where the Infirmary before was a dark dank place, it now glowed with a soft, golden light that simply made the place feel warm and comfortable. Where the office was against the right side of the north wall, there was a fireplace to the left. It's partner was the original, and stationed directly across the room in the waiting area.

Finally, there was one last extravagent detail. A stained glass window...in the ceiling. It wasn't a window, per-say, but the glassworkers had been commissioned to create over a dozen small window-sized pieces of artwork that were inlaid into the stone of the ceiling. This last addition was for the inpatients. For those laying sick in bed, day after day, or injured to the point of bed rest, it only made sense to give them something to enjoy as well.

Or that's what it would look like, once all the tools, covering cloths and equipment was cleared out and everything was dusted and swept. But either way, Addy stood proud as a mother hen over her chicks as the two gaped at the scene before them

"Yep. It's wonderful, isn't it? How would you two like to work here?" Addy said this all in her normal cheerful tone, the grin that dimpled her face the complete opposite of the scowl she previously wore. She delighted in the way the man and woman blinked in confusion, looked at her as if she was crazy and then stared back at the infirmary, open mouthed and still silent.

"Ah yes, why you? I'm so glad you asked." Trying to prompt them out of their zombie state, Addy walked around to stand in front of them while she continued. "You....?" Pointing to the man she smiled and drew out the silence.

Finally catching onto the prompt, the man swallowed and grinned. "Micquel, Ma'am." When Addy's green gaze shifted to the young girl, she visibly shrunk backwards away from the Endal and peeped out "Keah" By way of her name.

"Keah, there is no need to be afraid. In fact I am glad you two stopped and didn't walk away like I asked.." As they both opened their mouths to protest, Addy held up a hand to silence them "Ah-ah, I said I was glad you didn't walk away. I'm not disiplining you, I'm rewarding you. I saw the both of you stand against the wall while the rest of the mob attacked. Micquel, you even stuck out your arm to shelter Keah, even if you didn't realize it." The blush that crept into his cheeks told Addy he did realize it, and it had been intention. Keah seemed clueless, so Addy decided to keep her mouth shut and suppressed a smile. "You know, I'm exhausted. Here is the long and short of it: I invited the best healers, and if you showed up then you must have passed my first test. My other tests didn't quite turn out the way that I planned..I mean, I had all these dramatic ideas and I was going to have an elimination ceremony..." Realizing that she was rambling and on the verge of loosing the pair, Addy cleared her throat and started again on topic.

"Basically, you reacted the way I would have. I know I am capable of being an excellent healer, and so I am going to have to assume that you both are as well. However, if this turns out to not be the case, I will fire you. Peoples lives are more important than hurt feelings. So as of right now, you both assist me in the Infirmary. That office back there will be mine, but when I am not here feel free to use it."

Unable to contain herself, Addy flung herself forward to hug the two. "Welcome. Now, lets get this mess cleaned up."
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Mercury on April 27th, 2011, 10:43 pm

Aidara

Skill(s)
  • Intimidation +2 XP
  • Observation +2 XP
  • Leadership +4 XP
  • Organization +5 XP
  • Research +2 XP
  • Rhetoric +1 XP

Lore(s)
  • Breaking Out of One's Comfort Zone
  • Strutting About as an Endal
  • Nosey Endalitis
  • Doing What Needs to be Done - Fixing the Infirmary
  • Throwing a Tantrum, Endal Style
  • Pulling Rank
  • Trepidation
  • Reality Sinks In - Endals are Rarely Ever 'Nice'
  • Finding the Silver Lining
  • Infirmary To-Do List
  • Calling in Friend Favors
  • Easing into Power
  • Consumed By Work
  • Homework? Homework! - Research
  • Overwhelmed by an Eager Mass
  • Expecting More From People and Getting Disappointed
  • Finding Help: Micquel and Keah

Method to my Madness: I felt that the yelling out of Kara, while not very eloquent, deserved intimidation points for being so effective, as well as proper use of Endal status. Leadership for taking charge. Organization for getting everything together. I thought the letter was cute and written very IC. :D Rhetoric is from giving your speech to Keah and Micquel.

Extra Notes
New Infirmary Healers: Micquel and Keah
Did you get NPC approval for them? PM me the answer and I'll remove this note.

New Infirmary Renovation :
Upon entering the Infirmary, one walks directly into a waiting area. This consists of a long, deep bench carved into the wall to the left of the doorway. There was a finely wrought stone coffee table that ran the length of the bench, topped with plants and some generic reading materials. To the right of the doorway, was a row of hooks for visitors to hang their cloaks. 

Directly in front of the door was a curtain hung from a metal bar that stretched the length of the room, from ceiling to floor, partitioning off the sick bay from the waiting area. A small bed at the far end of the waiting area, adorned with blankets and pillows, was for those who wished to stay the night with their loved one. 

Behind the curtain, the rest of the infirmary was now a large square, with a little cubbyhole office situated in the far wall. The narrow, pathetic beds that had formally been used for the sick patients were replaced with a dozen wider, more comfortable and supportive model. However, since the materials for these beds were rather expensive, there was also a new type of bed installed. The freestanding beds were placed in three rows of four in the middle of the room with enough space in between and on all sides for movement and a fair amount of privacy. Along the three walls (the fourth "wall" being the large curtain) were more beds, but these were built into the stone. Roughly as wide as the freestanding beds and just as comfortable (as they were obviously supplied with a mattress and bedding), they did somewhat limit movement. The wallbed's occupant would only be able to sit propped up, unless they were a small child, as the height of the bed was not all that high. This is because along the walls, at about a normal sized-Inartan's shoulder height, were shelves for all of the necessities of the Infirmary. There were two shelves that ran parallel to each other a handspan apart all the way around the entire infirmary, giving more than enough storage space. At the foot of each bed was a small wooden chest for the sick patients clothes and whatever other belongings they had with them. The wallbed's chest was a small, square hollow in the wall area under their bed near the floor. 

Probably one of the most important additions was the lighting. Where the Infirmary before was a dark dank place, it now glowed with a soft, golden light that simply made the place feel warm and comfortable. Where the office was against the right side of the north wall, there was a fireplace to the left. It's partner was the original, and stationed directly across the room in the waiting area. 

Finally, there was one last extravagant detail. A stained glass window...in the ceiling. It wasn't a window, per-say, but the glassworkers had been commissioned to create over a dozen small window-sized pieces of artwork that were inlaid into the stone of the ceiling. This last addition was for the inpatients. For those lying sick in bed, day after day, or injured to the point of bed rest, it only made sense to give them something to enjoy as well. 

You can address any questions or concerns to the little voice in your head. A.K.A. PM me.
For Me to Know, And You to Find Out

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Mercury
Poisoning you to insanity, one word at a time

Words: 93204
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2011, 4:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook