[Stormhold Beach] Iron Sharpens Iron (Terminus)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Stormhold Beach] Iron Sharpens Iron (Terminus)

Postby Abashai on January 21st, 2010, 10:48 pm

Timestamp: The 46th of Winter, 509 AV
Event: The Midwinter Fire Festival

As Abashai and Terminus walked away from the small fire, the benshiran glanced back at his bondmate. Nya seemed to be alright, though there was still a tired concern in her face. He hoped a few moments of rest was all she needed. Abashai was worried, he wanted to know what had happened, why she fell ill, but he thought best to allow her some peace. Avi had settled next to her, and that made Abashai feel better.

Terminus' question was a bit unexpected, and Abashai grinned slightly as he heard the uneasiness in the firedancer's voice. The desert man was glad that Terminus had the courage to approach him. They approached the beverage table and waited patiently in the line that had formed. Turning, Abashai tried to address the issue.

"Unlike you, when I met Nya, I did not really know what a Kelvic was." He recalled the summer afternoon he had stumbled across her camp. Terminus would see the boyish grin spurred by the memory. "I did not know she was a Kelvic, but I knew right away there was something about her, something wild."

"She invited me to share her camp and we spent the day together. She taught me to set rabbit snares and we made some for dinner. That time seemed to give the bond a chance to form. I do not know for sure why the bond began."

He looked at Terminus, weighing whether he wanted to share his true thoughts. The benshiran had a good feeling about the man. "I believe the gods had something to do with it. Though I don't think that is the way it usually works. Anyway, all I know is I found Nya fascinating. She seemed like she knew me and I felt a certain ... comfort around her, even though I was not....usually comfortable around women I didn't know. She was able to draw more out of me than anyone had before. I couldn't understand the sensation, It wasn't like falling in love, but it was definitely emotional. She knew the bond was forming before I did, but when she explained to me what the bonding was, I knew she was right. Nya said the bond forms with someone who needs the Kelvic. I can tell you now that I needed Nya."

The benshiran paused, craned his neck to see Nya through the crowd. He did not like being apart from her, especially if she was not well. She seemed fine, Avi was watching over her, so he turned back to Terminus.

"I could have walked away from it, I think, broken it while it was still forming. I wanted it though. I was so intrigued, the sensation was so exciting, it felt just....right. But I had came to Syliras by the will of Yahal, and I had to have his approval before I made such a life-changing decision. In the end, I know my Lord blessed it, I accepted the bond."

The line reached the table, and Abashai grabbed a wooden cup of water. "Terminus, Nya is the only Kelvic I have ever met, I am still learning about this bond, and about her. But I think the only way to know if what you sense is the beginning of a bond with Avi... is to spend time alone with her, outside of the city. Do not let other emotions for Avi cloud your feelings, and don't think about it too hard. Relax and enjoy some time with her. A bond cannot be forced, it either is or isn't."

" And if you believe a bond is forming, think very seriously about what that means before you give into it. Living with a Kelvic is a lifelong commitment, and it is not like living with a human. I have never regretted my bond with Nya,"
he looked again in her direction, his feelings for her unmistakable in his eyes, "and can't even imagine life without her, but understand, your life will never be the same."
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Re: [Stormhold Beach] Iron Sharpens Iron (Terminus)

Postby Terminus Norin on January 23rd, 2010, 3:34 am

Terminus had quietly been listening to what Abashai was saying as he explained his experiences with bonding with and being bonded to Nya. He still thought of her as an extraordinary being and considered Abashai as fortunate as he could tell the Benignant felt.

Then his thoughts turned to Avi and he thought that he might take her up on her offer to teach him to hunt. That would get him some extended alone time with her. As to Ivak approving he figured that if she agreed to his quest then he probably would have Ivak's blessing on their bonding. He wasn't sure if that was what he wanted, but part of him simply wanted to be with Avi for a long time.

He knew that the bond would be for life, to him it was no different than mating with Avi. Should he give into the bond he would give in totally and become her mate. This much he knew for sure and would stand by it should she desire bonding. He still had other questions for him and some had to do with what living with a Kelvic was like even though he knew that living with Avi would be different than living with Nya. He knew them to be two different types of Kelvic so they would act differently.

He also took a water cup when they came to the table suddenly feeling the need to be non alcoholic. He spoke again\

I know Avi is a different kind of Kelvic than Nya as she is a bird and Nya is a cat. However there would still be things about living with a Kelvic that would apply to all Kelvics. So I guess what I'm asking is what has it been like living with a Kelvic? What kind of adjustments to your life have you had to make? And by all means avoid anything too personal please.

He was trying to understand what he might be facing should he bond to Avi. He spoke again

As far as the permanency of the bond. If we do bond I intend to let it take its natural course,I will most likely take Avi to mate depending on the emotional depth of the bond.

after this he intended to be more casual in his conversation, but it was in his nature to get the personal issues out of the way first.
Its not wheither you win or lose but how you play that counts
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Words: 63849
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2009, 4:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Abashai on January 24th, 2010, 3:53 am

Abashai pondered Terminus' question for few breaths. How could he explain how Nya had utterly changed his whole life? The benshiran reflected back on those first days with Nya. "I think Avi has spent more time with humans than Nya did, but she is still a kelvic. Kelvics are animals, Terminus, wonderful, fascinating and intelligent, but they will always have the heart of an animal. I do not say that to be derogatory. You must remember, that is how they perceive their world. It helps me to understand why Nya says or does what she does."

"A bonded Kelvic is fiercely protective, especially predator's like Avi and Nya. Nya will not be happy that I approached the Dhani, for her heart is to keep me from danger. Had she been able, she would have put herself between me and the threat. I have to respect that, it is who she is."

"Nya also needs her freedom, to roam her territory. She use to sneak out at night to prowl, but now she leaves me notes. If you bond with Avi, she will need even more freedom, for her domain is the sky."

"I also had to get used to having someone around, I had been alone for a dozen years. Nya is as affectionate as any feline, and her need to show affection was uncomfortable at first. But it was not fair to deny that part of her. She respected the boundaries I set up, for the most part, and I began to accept her. I have learned to enjoy her nearness and nuzzling. Nya and I are not mates, but are very close friends."

"I have heard that some people take pleasure from their bonded kelvics, but I will not use Nya in that way. To honor Yahal, I will take no such pleasure until I have a wife. I don't know how often bondmates become mates. I know Nya's parents were bondmates." He looked at Terminus, as if weighing his trustworthiness. "Though I have never told Nya, lately I have begun to think that maybe, one day, we could be...more ." Terminus would not mistake the unspoken request for secrecy in Abashai's glance before he looked off again, reassuring himself that Nya was in good hands at the fire.

Turning back, he continued. "You know Nya, how special she is. If you bond with Avi, I know you will not try to change her. At first I wanted to change Nya, make her fit into my human world. That was wrong. She did need to learn how to interact with humans, but now I would never want her to be anything different than who she is. You will be that much richer if you accept and embrace Avi for who she is."

"In the end, my friend, I don't know if there is anything that can prepare you for life with a kelvic."
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Terminus Norin on January 26th, 2010, 10:47 am

Terminus allowed Abashai's words to sink in. He was telling him that in reality there was nothing he could do to prepare for life with a Kelvic. That much he had been sure of before though. And even the small lesson he learned a few moments ago he figured was one of many yet to learn should he choose Avi to bond with.

He also knew Avi would need plenty of freedom. Though she might have to adjust to having someone to care for someone who once and a while needed her to stay in a place like Syliras..especially if his mission was going to be as difficult as he thought it would be. He also yearned to fly with her to distant corners of the world too.

I intend to give Avi as much freedom as she needs no matter what happens. I know she needs it, we will also have to work out time together as well. it will come in time I'm sure.

He thought about what Abashai had said about not changing Avi. That thought had not occurred to him, but he was sure it might pass his mind as time went on. It was nice to have his desire not to change her reinforced by Abashai's words on the subject.

I cant imagine changing Avi. She does seem to have a bit of experience around humans and human rules so it may not be needed for me to help her in that manner. I'm attracted to her just as she is. It was no different in that aspect with Avi than it had been with Nya. The difference here was his attraction toward Avi, the pull to be with her and the feeling like he knew her even though he hardly did.

on the matter of taking pleasure he said Ivak has no boundaries about that as passion is one of the things he has a lot of. However my own personal views on it are as yours..I will not use Avi in that manner unless we become mates. Then it will hardly be using as I see it.

As far as keeping quiet about Abashai's confession that he would like things to become closer between him and Nya. He would say nothing to her as he had said nothing to Abashai about Nya's love for him all he did say was.

You should tell her that then. Let her know everything you feel. You might be surprised.

He then changed the subject a bit

So tell me about yourself. Nothing personal just general things. What you do here, what things you enjoy. Those kind of things. Pardon me if I get personal. I am a very straight forward person

He waited for Abashai's response
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Abashai on January 28th, 2010, 10:49 am

Terminus seemed to be better mentally prepared for the bonding process than he himself was. Abashai noted the firedancer's mention of Ivak. That already helped to answer one of Abashai's questions for Terminus...how did he do the things he did with fire?

Abashai also considered the Ivak-follower's advice to share more of his feelings with Nya. Just dancing with her tonight, touching and interacting with her in a new and exciting way, only served to feed those "what-ifs" he had been entertaining lately. They were no longer simply a few thoughts in the myriad of thoughts that occupied his mind lately. More and more, much of his time was spent thinking about Nya, a distraction that went beyond the kelvic bond. The benshiran knew Terminus was right. There were so many things that Nya would have to know, and like a shaken bottle of bubbly wine, eventually Abashai's cork was going to pop. He was suddenly anxious to return to the Home Cave with his bondmate. Only then would he be able to contemplate opening himself up to her.

Abashai found Terminus to be easy to talk to, someone who seemed interested in other people. He smiled at the man's question, realizing no one had ever asked him such a basic question, except maybe Nya. Taking a few steps toward Nya's fire, he glanced again to see that Avi was indeed caring for his bondmate, gently stroking her hair with one hand, the other diligently gripping her spear. Seeing the eagle-owl's compassion and protection, he knew then that Avi was the only person he would entrust to care for Nya as he would. He was sure Terminus would do the same, but he felt, with a bit of shame, a deep-seated jealousy rise when he considered it.

It was comforting to him to see the two Kelvics together, allowing Abashai to relax. The benshiran turned back to Terminus. "I know we have only met her tonight, but I agree, Avi is special. I am glad she is around, I believe she will be a good friend to Nya...and to you." A smile stretched across his face.

"There is not much to tell about myself that Nya probably already told you. I left Eyktol and came to Syliras simply because I felt Yahal lead me here, and I believe, specifically to Nya. I cannot say for certain why. Sometimes my Lord is quiet, patiently letting me discover truths on my own. But I believe it was simply to realize my potential. Nya has improved me, caused me to grow."

"So, for the past two seasons, we have simply worked on learning about each other. Once Spring comes, we will decide what we want to do. I joined the Cultural Council, charged with representing the Benshira in Syliras and aiding them when possible. I have enjoyed that very much. I like taking my horse for runs in the fields outside the city. I like reading the Penitas scrolls that belonged to my father. But I think my favorite thing is to simply sit by the fire in the cave with Nya, play music, and talk about the most mundane things, which she has a knack for making quite interesting. And I like my weapons. I know that sounds rather base, but I find strength in them, inner focus in using them, relaxation in caring for them."

"Now, my friend, you know a bit about me, tell me about yourself." Abashai had several things he wanted to know about Terminus, but he left the question open-ended, giving the Azenth the leeway to share whatever he felt comfortable with.
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Terminus Norin on January 31st, 2010, 12:45 am

Terminus nodded and sipped his water as Abashai answered his question. he was glad to actually be asking some mundane questions. His life lately had been full of very personal and not so mundane things. He smiled as he was sure that simply getting to know Nya had been exciting enough. He was looking forward to getting to know Avi.

Aye I think she will definitely be a good friend. I look forward to getting to know her. I think we have a date set for a hunt later this season, that should answer a great many questions.

He also smiled as Abashai spoke of being led here by Yahal. He was lead back home by Ivak he suspected to become part of the Triad.

Well Ivak is not quiet normally, however being in prison tends to limit one.I am positive he has lead me back home for a greater purpose.

He led from there into his own history

Well I was born in a small dwelling outside the city. My father and mother are from two different Azenth families. Azenth are the marked of Ivak. My father specializes in release, both emotional and natural as in lava and earth. My mother is a Firedancer and that is where I got my talent. Dancing is my form of worship and its how I do what I do as I am also an Azenth, it makes me fireproof. He chuckled
If only my clothes were fireproof as well though.As far as interests, I read anything i can get my hands on about the gods. I also have an Interest in Pre-Valterrain history and artifacts. I am a mage specializing in fire and earth. In my free time I camp and learn to survive outside the city. I also Dance when I can and putter with Philtering.

He sipped his water and also watched Avi and Nya interacting with a person he thought might be a Kelvic from the way they were acting.

I wonder who the new one is? As familiar as Avi and Nya are acting I would bet hes Kelvic.
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Abashai on February 3rd, 2010, 1:28 pm

The benshiran listened intently as Terminus revealed the nature of his family. Azenth...Ivak. He knew the words, knew something of Ivak. Abashai found the man more intriguing then ever, his desert wariness of magic contending with the Azenth's likable nature. This mysterious magic was rife in his family, it was something Terminus was raised in, as natural to him as playing music or swinging a sword was to the Eyktolian.

"I knew a firedancer once, a benshiran woman. She was a friend." Abashai's mind momentarily drifted as he recalled the beautiful Zaira. He wondered where she was, if she found what she was looking for. "She danced with poi, not actually in the fire like you, she was not an Azenth."

"Nya told me about Ivak, for I was not taught much about him. She told me that some people harbor ill will toward his followers, because of the Valterrian. I do not feel that way. Though the Valterrian wrought terrible destruction, the Benshira see the Valterrian as an event that freed us from literal and spiritual bondage. Many of our people were enslaved by the Eypharians. Also, some left the worship of Yahal to build their own city, Hazahdar, so that they could do whatever pleased them. But the destruction wrought during the Great Cataclysm allowed the benshiran slaves to escape Ahnatep, and likewise destroyed Hazahdar, cleansing Eyktol of the apostate Benshira."

Abashia looked at Terminus, a good foot shorter than himself. The firedancer posed an enigma. The benshiran was a thinking warrior, and he prided himself on the ability to read the potential threat of a person by studying them. Just as someone may not anticipate the Ennervating abilities that his own gnosis mark afforded him, the Yahal follower could not assess the power of magic in someone else. Maybe that attributed to Abashai's uneasiness around those who wield magic. He was glad to be on friendly terms with the Terminus, he did not feel such discomfort around him. "To be honest, magic makes me a bit ...uneasy. I am sure it is only because I don't understand it."

As Terminus commented on the Kelvics, Abashai turned to see them. He grinned as they petted and groomed each other, Avi combing Nya's brindled hair with her fingers, his bondmate petting the young man beside her. Her show of affection to the stranger did not give rise to jealously, for he agreed with Terminus, the man appeared to Kelvic too. Though he most certainly would have to meet him. "I believe you are right friend." He looked down at the water in his hand. Then up at Nya, who was well engaged in a conversation with Avi and their new friend. ]"Maybe just some kindred company is all she needed." Deciding that interrupting the Kelvics to give Nya the water would do more harm than good, he upended the cup and drank down the cool liquid.

"I need to get my regular clothes and oud from behind the stage." He made a motion with his head, an invitation for Terminus to walk with him. "Lets give our Kelvic friends a few more minutes to talk."
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Terminus Norin on February 5th, 2010, 2:47 am

If Terminus could have read Abashai's thoughts then he would have found himself in agreement with the man on one thing. Magic was as natural to him as music and swords were to Abashai. He had been raised in an atmosphere steeped in magic and gnosis both, he had strongly suspected his mother to be a twice marked and his father to be at least a twice marked.

He smiled and listened as Abashai spoke of his firedancing friend. he knew that whats she did was more traditional. He did what he did only because of his mark.

My mother taught me to dance with the Poi as well since I was not marked by Ivak from birth. It has been since he marked me that I dance in the fire. Not all Tuvalik are so fortunate as to be marked so we do know how to traditionally fire dance as well. She and my father are marked more than once by the fire god, the things they can do are amazing. I should ever be so fortunate. His devotion to the fire god was evident in his statements and the passion in his eyes.

He nodded as Abashai spoke of the Valterrain being a freeing thing for his people.

It is good that some people can see the good of the Valterrain. I suspect that it was caused by one who did not have such noble intent. Ivak I believe was a pawn just as the other players were. I believe that in time he will calm, perhaps that he is marking people like me that have less rage and more reasonable passion is a good sign.

He could tell that the benshiran was sizing him up, studying him. He simply let that continue as he could tell that Abashai was forming a thought in his head. When he spoke again Terminus answered

I think we are all uncomfortable with that which we don't understand.I think the Valterrain unleashed many fears. But magic and Gnosis were the two things that the largest fears were spawned from. As they were part of the destruction of the world. He had a funny sense that the benshiran was trying to understand him and his affinity for magic, dangerous as it could be he still preferred it to physical combat.

he smiled as Abashai watched the Kelvics petting and caring for each other. He also could tell that the man harbored no ill will toward the new male Kelvic that had joined the women and was benefiting from Nya's attention. It was good that he could be balanced like that. he chose to follow Abashai to get his things

Yes let's give them some more time. It does seem that a little time with kindred is what she needed. Something I will have to get used to I would think if i choose to be closer to Avi or for that matter to bond with her.
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Abashai on February 7th, 2010, 9:57 pm

Turning to head back toward the stage, Abashai confided in Terminus. He was still thinking about magic, it was so foreign to him, at least the kind that Terminus practiced. There was one form of magic, however, that he was well acquainted with. "I understand something about gnosis, but I never really equated it with other kinds of magic. To me, it is more of a divine gift. You see..." He lifted his hands, face up. Visible on his palms, even in the dim torchlight, were the gnosis mark of Yahal, the first Shiber character in the god's name etched in each hand. "I have been marked by Yahal."

It was something Abashai rarely discussed, even with Nya. In fact, the subject was altogether ignored, though it was obvious that the bondmates each bore a god's mark. The benshiran was sure that Nya had been marked by Zulrav, more than once. He had tried to hide his curiosity, his concern at what those marks meant. He knew his own marks gave him certain abilities, he was almost apprehensive of what two marks from Zulrav conferred upon Nya, and why she had never mentioned them. Then again, he never told her the story behind his marks either. There were still secrets the bondmates kept from each other. But the bond between them had grown more powerful, revealing more about each to the other. All those secrets would come out soon, one way or another.

He shouldered his way politely through a small crowd near the stage and wound his way back behind the platform. Once clear of the noisy crowd, he began speaking again to the patient Terminus. "I would take Avi up if she offers to take you hunting, it would be a perfect way to get to know her, to be able to get a better feel for what may be developing. I think you will know if you are to bond with her."

Abashai quickly drew on his pants, pulled off the long benshiran tunic and put his own short one on, the heavier coat over top. After shoving his boots on his feet, he picked up his oud. Smiling at the Azenth, he gestured toward the other side of the festival. "Now, I just need to drop this stuff off at the cart."

Abashai and Terminus wound there way through the thinning crowd to the cart parked in the sand at the edge of the festival. The benshiran patted Sus, assuring the Desertbred mare was doing well, then placed his oud and the bundle of clothes under the seat. He pulled out a short sword he had stashed there, thinking perhaps, like the Azenth next to him, he should be armed. The appearance of the Dhani had made Abashai question his wisdom in attending the festival with only a dagger. Giving Terminus a smile and a clap on the shoulder, Abashai quipped, "I'll catch up with you later, I need to see of the elderly folks I brought are ready to go yet."
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Terminus Norin on February 13th, 2010, 4:45 pm

Terminus nodded as Abashai spoke of Gnosis and Magic being different. He was right in that Gnosis was more being given a bit of your god to carry about where as magic was more your own djed doing its thing. He knew he would end up teaching someone that difference some day. In the mean time he smiled and said

They are different in as you said in that the Gnosis is a bit of the divine in you and most ordinary magic is a drawing of your personal Djed

He nodded as Abashai revealed he had been marked by Yahal. He already knew that Nya had been marked by Zulrav and this revelation cemented in his mind that the two were meant for each other.

I would say that is a sign that you should pursue your feelings for Nya. It is rare when two people have a relationship as you two do and are both marked. It gives you two one more thing in common.

He thought about accepting Avi's offer to take him hunting and he also reflected upon Abashai's advice. he did want to get to know her better and if this was a bond forming he wanted to see where it went.

He followed Abashai as he loaded the cart . He then smiled as he said his goodbyes. He had a feeling that this would be one of a few times he would be seeing the Benshiran as he felt in his being that they had separate destinies. He said

I should go and say my goodbyes to Nya and Avi. I have an early day tomorrow.

He and Abashai parted ways two men knowing a little more about each other.
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets