[Flashback] It's not over yet

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Ulric on May 12th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Note :
This flashback follows the events established in Debts.

7th of Winter, 502 AV

“Guurgh!”

Ah, the familiarity of homecomings. Ulric had discovered that he’d almost missed the reek of the canals, or even the curses the urchins spat at him from the shadows, but there was something disturbing about the ubiquity of being throttled from behind whenever he tried to descend the stairs.

“Where’s the money?” The man snarled again, his breath hot and sticky. Ulric felt the garrote cinch tighter against the fingers of his right hands, which he’d managed to shove inside the waxed cord scant moments before it began to saw into his neck.

“Guurgh,” he said again, stamping a foot against his assailant’s instep as he jerked back and forth, shifting his weight to slam the smaller man against the crumbling plaster of the wall. Unfortunately, his efforts were for naught. The garrote cinched tighter, his throat constricted further, and he was becoming increasingly annoyed with himself. He was starting to think this man wasn’t very good, although he supposed it was harder to keep a person alive in the hopes of extracting information than just murdering him stone dead. He hadn’t caught a glimpse of his assailant, but he knew that he was much, much larger. That was clearly to his advantage. The frantic strength he threw into his struggles meant the tinier man had to use both hands on the garrote.

Ulric smacked the man back against the wall, fumbling for his knife. He scraped it from the sheath, then plunged it backwards into the man’s side, working it beneath the ribs and scything through the guts. He heard a stifled groan, and then the garrote slackened. With a growl, Ulric ripped the cord away, landing an elbow to the side of the man’s head as he grabbed his neck and hurled him down the stairs. Bump, bump, thump. Below, the man struck the plaster and sprawled in a limp mockery of sitting, his lap ringed by a spreading puddle of blood. It was a young face that peeked up through the gloom, sallow and devoid of whiskers, but that was hardly a redeeming quality.

Ulric just enjoyed killing.

Descending the stairs, he raised a heavy boot it drove it into the man-boy’s face with a sickening crunch. He kept on kicking until he’d reduce the visage to a mass of gore and splintered bone, then continuing on down the stairs as if he was on his way to the market. Not long ago, these sorts of struggles would have frightened him. Now they were merely another part of his day.

Wiping a few specks of blood from his cheek, Ulric left his decrepit building and waved at a passing boatman. “Get me to Stod’s,” he growled.

“Like petch I will,” the bearded man shot back, but he stopped his slender craft nonetheless. “You’ve got blood on your face,” he observed. Ulric sighed as he climbed aboard. He was weary of people pointing out the obvious, usually because they didn’t want – or care to know the truth.

“On my face, my hands – shyke, don’t we all just reek of blood?”

“Don’t get philosophical on me,” the boatman raised a finger, breaking out into a toothy grin. “I charge extra for that.” He poled the ravosala along the canals, steering away from reeking heaps of detritus. Ulric thought he saw a swollen corpse floating on the dark waters. That was nothing unusual, though. The corpses had been a source of amusement to him when was a boy, but now his eyes were filled with apathy. People died, often badly. That was how it went.

Eventually, they reached the tiny, derelict warehouse. “Go petch yourself,” the boatman grinned when Ulric handed him a few coins. Ulric climbed from the ravosala onto the narrow strip of dock, approaching the burly woman that guarded the door.

“Nice tits,” he remarked facetiously. The woman gave him a long glance, her face betraying nothing, then pushed open the door.

“I was hoping you wouldn’t pay up,” she grunted as he stepped through. Ulric blinked a few times, trying to adjust to the near-darkness. The only light came from the single candle that flickered on the table, which was ringed with piles of crates and stacks of motley, pilfered goods.

“Ulric, what a pleasant surprise.” Rising, the diminutive man sitting at the table dropped into a curtsey. He was wearing an elaborate dress, after all, whose whalebone-lined bodice was studded with pearls and a tasteful quantity of lace. “Go ahead and take a seat.” Ulric heaved a sigh, though he was somewhat fond of this mincing, middle-aged transvestite, and pulled up a stool for himself.

“How are you, Stod?”

“Better,” the man began to say, but he had to pause to honk into an embroidered hanky. “My cold is almost gone.”

“Glad to hear that,” Ulric replied. He wasn’t in a mood to beat around the bush, so he reached into his tunic and tossed a purse onto the table. “I’ve got your money, with interest. Even though the debt isn’t mine,” he remarked with a scowl. Stod untied the drawstring and began to count out the coins, clucking to himself. Finally, he glanced up and nodded.

“So you have, and just as I was about to send a man to dispose of your precious fruits. I think we can both agree that would have been a terrible shame.”

“For whom, exactly?”

“Mostly you, but I’ve always preferred money over my reputation. How’s your father?”

“Still dead. Thanks for asking.” Ulric began to get up, but Stod reached for his arm, halting him. [b]“What’s up?”

“Beran is going to up the price on your head.” Stod regarded him through steely-grey eyes, dangerous despite his ridiculous attire. “You really, really don’t want that to happen.” Ulric sat down again, running splayed fingers through his hair. He was suddenly very thirsty.

“Not much I can do about that. I don’t have the money, nor do I have the means of getting it soon.”

“Well, he’s none too happy about you taking down his hirelings. He’s going to set some real heat on your arse this time, and word on the canals is that he wants to make an example of you because of the spectacle you’ve been causing.” Ulric frowned, his suspicions aroused.

“What’s it to you?”

“Beran does business with me, and the last thing I want is spectacle.” Stod made a steeple of his fingers. “You’re either going to die, which would be something of a waste, or come to an arrangement.”

“Arrangement?” Ulric gave a bark of laughter. “What if we don’t?”

“That’s why I keep a crossbow under the table. No, don’t say anything. Now you’re being unpleasant, and I find you so very plain when you get that way. Tomorrow, you’re going to see Beran. He’ll know you’re coming, although you’d do best not to anger him, lad. Now get out of here.” Stod gestured at the door, then put quill to parchment again.

“Well, that’s just great,” Ulric growled.
Ulric
The Warrior-Poet

Words: 629666
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2010, 5:51 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Ulric on May 12th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Ulric did not linger very long. He caught a ride on another ravosala, then made his way through an alley and over a crumbling dock to an isolated backwater, where an elderly man was mending nets on a half-rotted pier. “Got a bit of line?” He stepped closer so the fisherman could see his face, his lips curling into a smile.

“Well, how about that,” grunted the man, his rheumy eyes widening in recognition. “Haren’s son is back in our midst.”

“Just passing by, Fedge.” Ulric moved to edge of the pier, his knees creaking as he eased his rear onto the splintering planks. He was embraced by this part of town by virtue of his father, a reputedly honest man who’d died long before him time. A decade may have passed, but he still considered this cluster of decrepit buildings and docks as his second home. “How are things?”

“About the same.” Fedge reached into a dirty sack, handing Ulric an array of tackle before he returned to his work. “Heard you been in some trouble.”

“Some.” Ulric unwound a length of waxed twine, tying on a few barbed hooks that he baited with the tiny, silvery fish that swam desultorily around the confines of the old fisherman’s bucket. “Nothing a touch of charm can’t solve, though.” Fedge snorted.

“You don’t have any charm, lad.”

“What?”

“You’re just a clever prick,” Fedge explained. “You aren’t the friendly type, see. With you the skin has to be thick, or else there’s bound to be hurt feelings.” Ulric gave a shrug.

“So maybe I’m not charming.” He flicked the line over the lake’s dark waters, making sure that he got it far enough away from the wood piles that kept the city afloat, and settled down to wait. “Heard anything about my mother?”

“No, and that’s a good thing.” Fedge was brusque, which wasn’t much of a surprise. Haren had been like a son to him, and this mention of woman that betrayed him was like adding salt to an open wound. Ulric had to ask, though. He deeply resented his mother, but he wanted closure. They sat in silence for a while, Fedge mending his nets, unmindful of the cold winds that whipped at his forked beard and worn cloak, Ulric waiting for a bite. Finally, he felt he line jerk against his hand.

“Got you, bastard,” he grinned, letting out more of the line. He didn’t want his catch to snap off the hook and escape as it thrashed viciously, knowing it was better to wait for the effects of fatigue to set in. Fedge gave him a strange look.

“This isn’t a fight to the death, lad. You got to respect the fish.”

“Sorry.” Ulric began to tease the line with a calloused palm, feeling the resistance began to lessen. He waited a few chimes, then began to haul on the line, eventually jerking a five-pound bass from the water.

“Not bad,” Fedge said. Ulric remained there until it got dark, helping the fisherman with his various tasks, and then headed back to his building. He wasn’t expecting another ambush, but that didn’t stop the tendrils of fear from creeping down his spine when he entered the shadow of the stairs, or when he thrust his key in the lock of his tiny room. Only when he bolted the door behind him did he heave a sigh of relief. No matter how calm he pretended to be, his nerves were ripped to shreds by this whole ordeal. “Got to deal with this shyke,” he growled, bending to stir the embers of the fire.

At that moment, a crossbow bolt smashed a hole through the door, exploding on the stained plaster a hand’s breadth about his head. What the petch? Ulric leaped out of the way, groping for his own crossbow as he lay on the floor. He forced a foot into the stirrup, yanking back the length of whipcord until it was restrained by the catch, and shoved a bolt into the slot. There hadn’t been any banging on the door. Even so, he pressed the trigger, making yet another hole in the splintery wood as he sent the missile whistling down the bare corridor. My landlady isn’t going to believe this shyke, he scowled, reaching for another quarrel. Leaving corpses on the stairs was to be expected in this part of the slums, but damage to property? That wasn’t very good.

Ulric spanned the crossbow again, keeping well away from the door. He half expected a stone swathed in flaming, oil-soaked rags to sail through either of the gaping holes, but the corridor was silent. He fumbled to finish loading the crossbow, then crawled across the floor, tentatively putting an eye against one of the cracks and peering through the shadows. There was nobody there. Which means-

Quickly, he rolled onto his back, bringing the crossbow around as his shutters splintered beneath the impact of a boot. “Not so fast,” he growled. As the woman burst into the room, knives reflecting the gleam of the embers, his quarrel ripped through her gut. Momentum broken, she pitched to the side, a knife flicking out to slice a furrow down his leg. “Haven’t you ever heard of privacy?” Ulric was screaming now. He scrambled to his feet, stomping on her head for good measure. Now he had a broken door, broken shutters, and a puddle of blood that was already seeping into the lower floor. At the very least, the woman was down for the count. She flopped limply on the floor, gasping for breath as the light faded from her eyes.

However, the knives kept moving.

Ulric did the only thing that came to mind. He snatched up his axe and hacked off her hands. “Leave me alone,” he snarled, forcing her jaws open, and crammed one of the severed hands down her throat. Not caring about the blood that spurted onto his clothes, he hefted the cooling body and hurled it out the window, hearing it bounce once on the dock and splash into the canal.

“Petching Beran.”
Ulric
The Warrior-Poet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Ulric on May 13th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Ulric was dreading their encounter when he climbed into a ravosala the next morning. He was unarmed except for the knife on his belt; a courtesy he hoped would be similarly extended by the loan shark. He wasn’t holding his breath, though. Beran might have acceded to Stod’s request, but Ulric wasn’t ruling out betrayal. “Bring me to the Butcher,” he growled, trying to get rid of the sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach.

“Which butcher you talkin' about?”

“The one that cuts up people.” Ulric was too distracted to notice how the boatman’s face demeanor went from condescending to courteous over a fraction of a second. Instead, he sat back and watched as they passed through the labyrinth of canals, narrow ribbons of dark water from which sheer walls of crumbling brick and stained plaster rose with a claustrophobic intensity. Noise echoed through window shutters. Everywhere, there was a reek of decay, the acrid stench of smoke hanging upon the air. Here lives raged in confined spaces. Every so often, slender bridges arching to join derelict blocks of tenements, some with ornate, yet somehow tawdry carvings among their masonry. My city,” he scowled. There was great beauty here, subtly blended with depravity and decay. Every furtive tryst was tainted by a strain of betrayal. Every night was marked with a knife thrust into unsuspecting backs, pleading, outstretched hands receiving only a pair of manacles. This was his city.

Finally, the ravosala’s prow scraped against the side of a dock. Ulric stared up, seeing the dark, foreboding front of the shop, great joint of fatty meat slung haphazardly from hooks. He handed the boatman a few coins, then climbed onto the dock. His pounding heart felt as though it would burst from his chest as he made to enter. There was a bitter tang in his mouth. As he reached out, the door opened a crack. A sliver of a face stared out, two pale eyes set on blotchy flesh. Then it disappeared. The door swung open. Heaving a sigh, Ulric gathered up the shreds of his courage and stepped through.

Inside, the shop was dismal; a narrow room with a pair of guttering torches and a rusty brazier that had stained the cracked walls with soot. There was a knife-strewn table thrust into a corner. The rest of the furniture consisted of a few, rickety chairs, a metal basin for collecting blood, and a musty velvet couch laden with brocaded cushions. A few carcasses hung from the ceiling, while below the planks were coated with sawdust.

“Come in, come in.” Beran was removing the entrails from a goat carcass, but now he turned away, wiping the blood from his hands. He was a small man with unremarkable features, clad in a shabby leather coat.

“Beran,” Ulric said simply. He peered around through hooded eyes, trying to spot a trap. Neither of Beran’s men was armed, at least ostensibly. The man who’d opened the door seemed to suffer from a grotesque skin condition, while another fellow sprawled on the couch, not seeming to derive any interest from the proceedings. By sight, he knew them for enforcers. Dorian was the man on the couch, and he would’ve bet his arse that Goren was the other.

“Leave your knife there,” the man gestured at a shelf, and Ulric, seeing that the others were unarmed, complied reluctantly.

“We didn’t think you’d come,” chuckled the butcher. “Not after that surprise last night, at least. I figured you wouldn’t mind, seeing how you handled the rest of my hirelings.”

“That’s where you’re wrong.”

“Why the long face? Don’t you have my money?”

“You know that I don’t,” Ulric replied, knowing that Beran was toying with him. His life was in the butcher’s hands right now, but he couldn’t stifle the annoyed remark that burst from his lips. “We both know that I don’t owe you anything.”

“That’s an interesting way of looking at it, but I’m afraid you’re wrong. Are you so certain that you didn’t handle so much as a single coin?” Beran stepped away from the carcass and sank into a rickety chair. “Would you care from some wine?”

“No,” Ulric said sourly. He paused for a moment, then went on. “Kell may have owed you money, but he’s dead now.”

“And it’s not your problem?” Beran leaned back. “There’s where you’re wrong. I may have been wrong to suspect that he faked his death, but sending those men to dispose of the both of you – that was within my rights.” Ulric couldn’t keep the smirk from his face, even though his guts were knotted with fear.

“Except they’re dead.”

“Yes, that came as something as a surprise. And as it happens, that’s the only reason you’re breathing.”

“What do you mean?”

“Here’s my offer: you work for me, and I forgive the debt.” Ulric considered for a moment.

“You mean, you want me to be one of your hired knives.”

“Associates,” Beran said, casting a quick glance at Goren. “This is a business, you know.” Ulric also looked over, observing the large man begin to crack his knuckles. He was growing more uneasy by the moment. He couldn’t deny that the offer was tempting, but he wanted to leave this life behind.

“What happens if I don’t want to work for you?”

“Ah, now that would be most unfortunate,” Beran remarked, his lips slowly curling into a grin. “However, I suppose we could make a deal.”

“What sort of a deal?” Ulric frowned.

“You walk out of here, we forget about the debts.” Dorian stretched languidly on the couch, his soft voice more innocuous than menacing, but Ulric was aware of Goren interposing himself between himself and the door. He might be able to take one of them down, but two? That wasn’t likely.

“No knives,” Beran grinned. “What’s it going to be?” Ulric pondered deeply for a moment, his mind crying out with terror, but also a trenchant suspicion that he was dead either way. It was better to go out fighting.

“You can go petch yourself,” he snarled, hurling himself at the door. Goren’s boot struck him in the chest, driving the breath from his lungs and knocking him flat on his back. I’ve made a huge mistake, he gasped as the larger man threw himself through the air, trying to connect with a leg drop.

Ulric barely managed to scramble aside, only to have Dorian’s boot slam into his ribs. He curled around the blow, instinctively holding on so the man couldn’t kick him again. Goren, recovering, drove an elbow into the side of his head. Not good. A flash of colors exploded in his head, but he managed to twist the ankle, bringing Dorian down. Goren struck him again, then reeled back, cursing. Ulric sought to scramble to his feet, seeing Goren clutching at his hand before Dorian yanked him down again. He kicked Dorian in the face, snapping his head back, and then Goren was back on him. Ulric tried to scramble away, so the man stomped his shoulder instead of his head. His eye was already beginning to close. He received a heavy kick in the kidneys as he crawled to his feet. Not good he thought again, gritting his teeth at the sudden wave of agony. He turned around, taking a punch that opened a cut on his cheek, then countered with a straight right.

Beran was watching, a strange grin decorating his face.

Goren just blinked and kept on coming, though he was at a disadvantage with one uninjured hand. Ulric snapped out a jaw, had it blocked on a meaty forearm, and dug a short, sharp right to the body. He received another blow that made a thread of blood trickle from his left nostril, then landed a straight and a hook, turning Goren’s legs to jelly. Just for good measure, he drove a vicious knee between the man’s legs as Dorian, his own nose a bent, bloody mess, tackled him. Ulric’s head cracked against the planks, the entire world going blurry for a moment. What’s going on? He blinked, then choked as a forearm was thrust over his windpipe and the smaller man began to rearrange his face. Ulric tried to shove Dorian away, his fingers scrabbling for something, anything that he could use to get the man off him. He was fading quickly when they closed on a bent, yet wickedly edged hook that was buried beneath the sawdust. He whipped it around, feeling the point drag across the man’s face, then plunged it into an eye. Dorian shrieked, clawing at the hand that kept digging the hook deeper. “No knives,” Beran shouted, his face contorting with rage. Ulric snarled as a hot, viscous fluid spurted onto his face. Dorian spun away, writhing with agony, and suddenly he was able to clamber to his feet, hearing the breath rasping in his lungs.

“Wasn’t a knife,” he panted, but Beran didn’t seem to care for his excuses. As he watched, the butcher leapt up and heaved the chair with all of his might. Ulric grimaced as one of the legs drove into his ribs, but he somehow managed to catch the chair and, gathering what remained of his strength, threw it back. Beran ducked away, cursing. Ulric whirled, seeing that the path to the door was open. He began to run, a new hope surging through his body.

“Not so fast.” Goren, who was lying prone, snatched at his ankle. Ulric struck the ground heavily, barely seeing the knife that sailed over his head.

“No knives.” He jerked his leg away, then broke into a frantic half-run, half-crawl, screaming as the second knife struck him in the back, lodging against his right scapula. He was almost safe.

When he reached the door, he threw himself aside with a grunt, barely avoiding the gory cleaver that sank into the wood. Beran screamed again, but Ulric wasn’t listening. He flung open the door and slithered onto the dock, sobbing as another knife dug into his thigh. He had won, but at what cost?
Ulric
The Warrior-Poet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Verilian on May 15th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Ulric

• +3 Brawling
  • +1 Dagger
  • +1 Fishing
  • +1 Heavy Crossbow
  • +1 Bearded Axe
  • +1 Observation

You Question My Logic? :
Okay, a lot of random xp here so I'm not going to bother explaining it all. If you feel I missed anything or deserve more points, feel free to PM me and I will consider.

Lores: Paying Other People's Debts, Life in Ravok, Winning with a Cost

Notes: Interesting thread, a good read. Thanks, and good work!
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)