Limp Right Over(Kavala please)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Wystern on March 24th, 2011, 7:54 pm

“Pretty name, it fits,” he said with a slight smile; perhaps it was the most sincere thing he said all day. An alarmed frown spread over his face when she took his hand and started binding it. Reluctantly, he complied, even with the given explanation and still a bit unsettled when he realized that the closest blade around was a bit out of reach.

“Binding me so I won’t go crazy, you say?” Wys snidely commented in his head. “Honey, I’m already there,” he wanted to say. Wanted to but didn’t, uncertain as how it would impact what would happen next. Irony permeated the air when the first time he took a moment to think in the present situation was when he was already tied to a stake. And mostly naked on top of that. It didn't take too long to realize that being tied, naked, and violated with a hammer wasn't his thing.

A few moments later he found his legs tied too, leaving Wys completely defenseless. Certainly not a situation he found himself often in, at least not until recently. And what was next? Hopefully, miracles. And definitely lots and lots of pain. His heartbeat sped up at the sight of the tool when Kavala raised it over her head. No, it looked definitely like a weapon now. If there was ever an appropriate time to back out, it was now. And the Knight knew he wouldn’t, he couldn’t and simply will not. The hammer swung.

He heard a familiar crunch, one he had definitely heard before; the jolted pain didn't leave him screaming, it knocked his breath out. He lay there, the ropes digging into his wrists, through the cloth as he instinctively tried to free himself. There was no calm mind at this time, all that's left was pain, mind-shattering pain that left his lungs numb and his wrists bleeding from the friction. And that look on Kavala's face; as if she actually enjoyed this. The hammer just kept swinging down, leaving more and more broken bones behind. And then she switched targets, and Wys couldn't even make out a single word of protest; the now powder-like bones in his legs prevented him to.

Two more swings and it was over. It was only then that Wystern finally screamed, though the scream was quite a bit weak. He couldn't pull his breaths together to piece something more, catching breath was more important now anyway. At this point there wasn't much he could do, and it was surprising that he stayed conscious after this, he hadn't the first time. perhaps it was the simple matter of not having Ararna through the stomach.

"And that's the end of you," he heard something whisper faintly. Wys simply waited, gritting his teeth, and didn't reply.

If gods are watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.
Wystern
Syliran Knight.

Words: 160798
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2010, 11:42 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on March 28th, 2011, 5:02 pm

ImageShe bent over the wasted legs, feeling now how shattered and broken they were. The sledge hammer had done its work, even ripping into the tendons with bone fragments, giving her something to heal. He wouldn't be perfect, not by a long shot, but he'd be a lot better than he was. The bones could heal and be made straight so he could walk without any limp at all, but the muscles of his legs would have to be built back up, strengthened, and that would not be something she could do as a healer. She could make sure they were whole, ready to accept new training and to be taught not to be atrophied, but she couldn't make them stronger or change their size.

Kavala bent over her work, ignoring his pain, ignoring his half hearted scream. She was surprised he hadn't screamed for all he was worth and brought half the sapphire clan running. The Konti would have. In fact, she had, in past when the situation merited it.

Power poured from her gnosis marks, the etched creatures on her ankle, two flying snakes entwined. Where she touched, the bones reformed, coming together, strengthening, going back to their original shape, not the broken half-healed form of before. Muscles followed, tendons reconnected. She ran her hands up and down the length of his legs, making certain, feeling the anatomy beneath her touch. He smelled like a male, like pain, and a little like a wasted injury. She didn't like the scent, didn't like even touching him, but the compulsion was strong enough she overcame her aversion. The only way she'd been able to take the sledge hammer to his lower limbs was because she was doing it to heal. Badly healed breaks were far worse than breaks themselves. The way Wystern was, he'd never would have regained the full use of his legs, his own stride, nor would he have known anything but pain the rest of his life.

Kavala leaned over, going up and down his legs, continuing to pour the power forth. It was exhausting, and she was pregnant, and even as she channeled, the child within her kicked in protest.

But it was done, finally, and his legs and their accompanying tendons and muscles were as healed as she could make them. She glanced up at his face, leaned back, and realized she should have given him something to bite on. She should have made him more comfortable rather than trussed him up like a spring pig getting ready to be butchered. Kavala felt a little ashamed, truth be told, but said nothing. She only cut his hands and feet free and stepped back.

He would pay her nothing, she expected, nor would he probably offer her thanks. Humans were like that - cold, unthinking, selfish. They thought little beyond their own situations and even less of those situations around them. The Konti was content in knowing that Wystern would hurt with every step he took, ache when the weather changed, and would probably live long enough to get eaten by a glassbeak or marry a few wives. But in the end, that's all that really mattered and as such she bowed her head and prayed.

"Thank you Rak'keli, for the power you freely gave so that this man could walk straight once more. Thank you for allowing me to be the medium that acted as the conduit for your healing." Kavala whispered softly, so softly that perhaps Wystern wouldn't even have heard.

Then she sat back on her heels, knife replaced in the sheath at her hip, and watched him to see how he did and if he could even stand. It was like watching a small miracle, each and every time she healed, and someone could walk away or run when they just had twisted limbs before.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Wystern on April 15th, 2011, 7:08 pm

It was only when the Konti dropped the hammer that Wys started feeling the true pain crushed legs brought. Only then that he actually let out a more bitter scream, the pain threshold was finally breached, when the physical trauma associated with the mental; and even then, that scream wasn't much to count for, the pain never stopped. His mind was null and blank, he couldn't think, couldn't concentrate, the agony have wiped everything clean; perhaps only his sense of self remained, and Wys was losing it even then. Kavala has laid her on him, and it only got worse.

He felt the bones crunch again, but become firm, as the muscles twisted around them; and the blood and bruises, that were already apparent began, to vanish from sight. The old scars remained. In all honest truth, Wystern never really wanted to find out what it felt like to have a kneecap snap back into its place with divine magic, and he wasn't surprised when it didn't feel too pleasant. No part of healing, or getting injured is, that is always the general lesson.

And then it was over, his muscles, no, his bones felt sore, like they just went through a hurricane, so to speak. His conscience returned to him, but in his opinion, it never left. He looked over at his fingers and noticed that they were starting to look blue, and a bit of crimson was coming out from under the ropes. The Knight really did struggle hard enough to have the rope tear his skin under the gloves. Even the stakes were moved a bit. A few moments later, Wystern was cut free.

Wys grunted and got his torso up, to assess the damage on his wrists at first. What he saw wasn't really bad. Ahna could take care of that without any issues. But the legs, the legs worried him indeed. His toes quivered in a slight breeze from the outside. At least he could still feel something down there; still, the difficult part was just ahead.

He then realized that all that was hiding his manhood was a little piece of cloth, and quickly, he grabbed his trousers, yanking them on and fringing at how sore his legs were. Sore, but usable now.

He stood up slowly, testing his fixed leg. Wys was slowly exploring his body’s abilities again. It felt like he was learning to walk again, a little like a toddler. He got up a little too quick, and stumbled. He regained balance, and finally stood up slowly, with an instinctive expectation of pain throbbing in his mind; but it never came, not in the form Wys expected. His muscles were sore, but the nerves were no longer jammed, the leg deformed, and the pressure at the knee was gone.

Feelings of joy and awe started overwhelming him. Wystern was finally free from the first prison that held him; he was no longer a cripple in that sense. The Knight’s limbs were still not at their full, but that was fixable. He was in a loss for words, for what seemed like the first time in seasons. Wys didn’t know what to do, but his body did, as the legs she just fixed moved forward and his arms wrapped around the girl in a warm embrace. “Thank you,” he whispered quietly, still in a bit of shock from what happened. Speaking of toddlers, only then he noticed that his healer was actually pregnant, a realization that made him almost immediately let go. “And congratulations,” Wys added.

Kavala has just restored his former lifestyle, she had given him life again…and his title. And with the title restored, Wystern now owed her a great debt. Now he actually had to follow the code again, right down the line. Wys kneeled, and bowed his head, trying to understand what he was about to say. “I don’t know how to repay you. If you want money, I don’t have much with me. If you want service, I will do whatever you ask until you consider the debt paid in full, or the Order finds and reclaims me. What is it that you would have me do, milady?”

“Idiot,” he heard something say in his head, and again, he replied nothing to it.

Wystern
Syliran Knight.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on April 25th, 2011, 8:15 am

ImageKavala watched him stand carefully. Nodding to herself, she stood back, giving him room to try out the freshly healed legs. Her gaze was passive, masked, though when she looked at him she only saw human. Human. It never used to be a dirty word to her. Never. Now though, things were different. People should be judged on the merits of who they were, not on the color of their skin or their ethnicity.

But she wasn't there yet. Closer, yes, but not quite there. Kavala still had a lot of hate in her but doing things like this - helping people like Wystern, was a small step on the pathway to her own healing. It was something she'd never speak of, at least not to him whom was a virtual stranger to her. But it was something she inherently understood.

"I'm glad you are feeling better." She said softly, meeting his gaze with her azure eyes. Was this the reason she came home? Other than meeting the kelvic stallion and buying a few horses? She was certain it was.

When he spoke, she only nodded a response rather than tell him he was welcome. She didn't trust her own voice nor did she trust anything but a slight sad smile when he told her congratulations about the baby. In Drykas society, such things would not be mentioned, especially in regards to an unmarried Ankal's daughter.

"I would have you live a good life, Sir. The best one you can and walk with honor in all that you do. There is no debt, for as you've said you are a poor man. May wealth find you in the future, though the best kinds do not come in the form of gold. Be happy and know that no ties bind you here." She said, walking over to the entrance to her pavilion and gently holding the flap aside. It was an invitation to leave, or perhaps she was giving him free rein to make his escape unburdened.

"Live Well, Sir. Please. Just live well." And with that, she stepped outside, the expectation clear that he should make his departure.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Wystern on April 30th, 2011, 9:14 am

The Knight put on the rest of his gear and stopped to think. Wystern looked up at the lady that swung a hammer at him just a few moments ago with a highly confused look on his face. He was just denied in the weirdest of ways; to repay a debt, of all things. Nothing was ever easy for him in this blasted green desert, why should it be now? Was there a catch? Slight paranoia planted itself into the corner of his mind. He now looked at the lady who had just fixed his broken body, and he didn't understand what she meant. Maybe he just didn't want to understand, there still were rules that governed his behavior. Among them, Wys remembered his teacher drilling respect for Konti into him.

What to do now? Insist upon himself and his silly little code, his debt, force his will upon the woman who saved his life; or leave as she is telling him. The answer should be so very obvious, and it is, but also it isn't. Why does it make so little sense, now of all times. Maybe it was just the aftershock of the pain; however, it was nothing, it meant nothing, not with its duration. It seemed like he stood there for an eternity, just in a complete loss for words. Everything seemed to go a bit silent as he was stuck inside his head, and the light seemed a bit blinding. If he was free, why did he feel so unnecessarily stricken with guilt? The feeling made him noxious. His wrists seemed to be bleeding still.

The Konti was casually inviting him to leave by now. "You have all my gratitude, and I still have no idea how to thank you. You have given me my life back, and that is the most anyone has done for me in my presence here," he said with a tone that changed completely since the moment they met. The tone had force again; it was spoken not by a cripple, but by a soldier. "The Knights will hear about you. About everything you have done for me. About how you helped me escape. Thank you," he whispered the last part; and with that said, he picked up his cane and walked out the tent the same way he walked in, not leaving an explanation to his actions. He had a limp on the atrophied foot, but it seemed a bit more severe than it really was. The healer would know better.

"Part one is accomplished, moving into part two. Where do I find a teacher?" he spoke quietly to himself on the way to his tent.

"You might want to have some exercise on that leg, lest you lose it during the lesson," spoke the voice.

"Noted," Wys answered with a calm manner.

"Will you?" Ararna asked sarcastically.

"Of course. But one thing at a time. One thing at a time," he whispered while looking at his waist. "Oh, and one more note, buy a diary so I won't forget to recommend the prodigy I met a while ago. Syliras has a better future for her, I think."

Wystern
Syliran Knight.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Mycroft on May 18th, 2011, 7:45 am

- Wystern -
"...Crazy...? Honey, I'm already there."

Experience:
Rhetoric: +2

Lores:
Walking With a Cane
Not Watching Where He's Going
Watching Your Own Legs Get Smashed In
Conversing With a Sword
Hurts So Much, I Can't Even Scream
He Didn't Back Out

- Kavala -
"I need to break them precisely."

Experience:
Medicine: +3
Interrogation: +1
Intimidation: +1

Lores:
Compulsion Overcomes
Spiritual Revenge
Building Racial Tolerance
Can't Heal a Fracture Without Breaking a Few Legs
Helping an Outsider
Furtive Healer

Notes: Ouch ouch ouch ouch. First, I know Wystern's quote is mostly from his inner monologue, but it really stuck out in my mind as a memorable quote to put in my grading stub. Second, oh man, what a terrible situation to be in. Wystern was extremely fortunate to have come across Kavala when he did. Both characters showed some fascinating repressed instability - Wystern with his talking katana, and Kavala with her nostalgic vengeance. I was seriously biting my lip as I was waiting for that hammer to hit his legs. Oh, it makes me shudder to think about it.

I didn't see a lot I could reward Wystern with, but I think pondering your life as a physically disabled person is definitely worth a point in Rhetoric, and questioning the motives of the Opal healers is worth another.
Mycroft

Previous