Please Don’t Get Me Fired (Vala)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Eoin on May 17th, 2011, 12:17 am

oocBut Eoin needs someone like her to knock some sense into him, thus she is completely deserving. A tad long but I couldn't find it in me to shorten it. :P

Would she find offense in his offering, perhaps grow into insatiable sobs that threatened to drown them where they stood? Or would she find some relief in his small token of concern enough to slow the stampede of her wrath and depression? Eoin was undecided, he knew not the right answer or if there even was one, he was no seer when it came to the plagues of the heart. But then, like the spluttering of a carriage pulled by a too old mare, her words hammered through the mire of worries. Naturally, the man turned to face her, a girl barely recognizable under the lightly tousled hair clinging to a drenched face. The way she struggled with her speech simply added another pinprick to his conscience, as this may have been his fault in the first place. Who knew? Certainly, not this Avora that’s for sure.

At first, he found his throat dry despite having previously spoken, as if following suit with his eyes. It seemed as though his entire body was suffering from desertification. He had come because…he was guilty, he was responsible, he was in the wrong. Eoin knew this, he had known, but it came time to speak he couldn’t put his ideas into words. The man was beginning to doubt himself, for he knew not if he was truly in the wrong or if it was an imagined mindset brought on by the girl’s sudden and explosive reaction. Yet he knew, even if he was not the culprit, he had felt so and acted accordingly.

“I came because…I did you wrong for prying into your business. I had to take responsibility.” He probably wanted to take responsibility as well, but “had” was the word that first surfaced. Unfamiliar was he with the nuances of language and their implications, not that the man didn’t realize. Eoin spoke enough confidence to remain sincere, but the look in his eyes was disbelieving. They seem to speak of struggles, a peep hole to his tangled mind. Then, pausing as deeper lines of confusion marked his expression, Eoin stated as if it was as simple as the rising and falling of Syna and Leth. “I’m sorry because I just am.” Was this girl saying that there was such thing as feeling too regretful? If one felt so, isn’t it simply the right amount of regret for them? As chimes continued to pass, the man felt more and more separated from this Chiet’s reality, or was he coming closer to it? There seemed no end to this madness.

No, it would not end peacefully. It would end in bells and whistles and a great many explosions. Eoin momentarily relaxed, wishing rather than thinking that the storm had passed, but he had been dilly dallying in the eye of it instead. On instinct, he winced into an expression similar to her first outburst, lips taut and eyes blinking with more force than necessary. And just like last time, she had brought up a point that caused him to doublethink, almost manually working the question through step by step. That’s right, she was a Chiet, she was lower than he and thus less important, less necessary and more replaceable. That was the mantra of their community, their culture; he was the strange one in all of this. Eoin knew he was not quite like the others despite possessing the same sense of pride, passion and drive. His simply manifested in a different manner and that was what he believed, or perhaps convinced so often than he thought it was the truth. But what of the people that could not make the climb to safety, and were swept and thrown against the stone steps in an endless sea storm?

What of his mother, so decrepit of mind yet in cruel irony, was once so vibrant and destined for greatness?

He would not make the claim that this girl was like her, the Chiet had neither the right nor misfortune to be compared to that woman. However, she was like many that had potential waiting to be nurtured, but stood idly on the carved masonry while she watched those less fortunate than her drown and perish as she thanked the gods that it was not her that day. Eoin was the same and there was nothing dignifying about being higher and thus further from the misfortune, as it would go on whether he witnessed or not. That was the way they lived but he did not want to do the same, not if he could help it.

“You do.” He spoke slowly, a low tone indicative of his base position at the foot of the stairs. Those puzzled eyes were now somewhat darkened, but not quite as noticeable as the certainty in his words. A steady gaze was returned as he proceeded. “You all do, but no one seems to see it. That is a misfortune I don’t wish to contribute to.” His eyes fell lower as if to contemplate the situation once more with a renewed outlook. With greater ease, Eoin reasoned and expressed his thoughts. “You were wrong to steal, but I may have been too harsh with the way I dealt with it.” Then, while exhaling his shoulders dropped and unknowingly, let the anvils of concern fall from them. More than ever he seemed as genuine as the diamond on a tip cutter of a glassblower.

“I think you and others like you have potential, so much that I could not help by ask that question.” Eoin retracted, realizing that he was likely rubbing alcohol on the still bleeding wound. “I hope you find comfort in using those vouchers.” He kept his vision locked on her, feet still planted in the same spot as the man stood and watched awkwardly, not knowing where to turn his gaze. Finally he settled on a nearby rock covered in dust, almost waiting for another assault of words to come his way.
Eoin
Player

Words: 148430
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2011, 4:31 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Vala on May 17th, 2011, 4:33 am

Clutching herself even tighter, Vala tried to close off her ears. His words penetrated her thoughts, sapping her energy; her energy to fight and hate. Such slow deliberation for each word, indicative of his sincerity. Unable to face him and whatever pitying look he might have had set on her, Vala’s mind raced, trying to analyze every note in his speech. Too enraptured by the throes of her emotional fit, Vala did not listen to his words, rather feeling, within herself, what came from his heart. He was different than the others. It was so unnerving to her. First Ronin, now Eoin? Vala wondered why Priskil was answering her prayers so late, why now? Why, after she had lost faith in almost everyone, in everything. Now that she was finally free of caring there had to come someone, someone who could touch that nerve, not even intentionally. True, he was being as blunt as one would expect from any Inartan citizen, but he went deeper. In his tone, in his gesture, but most especially in the effort he put forth. Everything just made Vala wary, questioning if it was actually her or something else about him. She refused to believe in herself worth, now in the pits of her foolish wallowing.

Vala was caught speechless. Normally, the impudent girl, wrapped in the fragile veil of false confidence, could deflect any negative thoughts and fears. Doing anything, in her might, to accomplish what must be done for her own gain – morals be damned. But all it took, was that niggling remark, an off handed comment, the unintentional observation, to find the chink in her armor and bring it all crashing down. Once the veil was gone, so too was her sanity whisked away, baring the open hearted soul, so desperate for approval. And after each toppling of her protective tower, she would build it back up, harder, icier than the last – closing herself off from the world one brick at a time. And it had been so long since the last proverbial shit storm. Near a season in fact, this could easily explain why she had been so quick to crumble at Eoin’s question; Vala had been due for a new mental fortress.

Her heart stopped at every supportive word. She needed it, every cell in her body calling out for more, but still it felt so wrong. She knew she had done something wrong. Vala had even admitted to it – the straightforward confession still a mystery to her, probably having something to do with Eoin himself, and his unnerving presence. It was all tainted. He had even admitted to it! He had chased after her because he felt guilty, not because she deserved it. He was one of those – take responsibility – types. Vala never really understood them, well she did, but she always preferred to simplify everyone’s life and just run; not like any of the Avora or Endal ever bothered to chase after her… except for now. She just couldn’t accept the compliments, especially in her exposed state. Nothing could console her; she wouldn’t let him.

She realized she was being selfish. Was there a time she wasn’t? There he was. A man she barely knew. Wait, did it honestly took her this long to realize she didn’t even know his name? Was she really that petching oblivious? The answer was obviously yes. Before she could stop herself, the urge just bubbling up her throat, she yelped out, “Vala!” Not even as an introduction, more of an expletive. Her already flushed cheeks, reddened even further, to the point where it looked like a volcano just ready to burst with bottled embarrassment. Before the pity party could escalate further, which Vala knew for a fact she could do, she drew up her strength, readying herself for one of her famous abrupt ends. And hopefully this time, Eoin wouldn’t ruin it!

Bending down from the hip, her right hand, reluctantly released its death grip on her left arm, to shoot out and snatch at the scattered papers. She only took one of the food vouchers, as a symbol, more than anything else. Both her hands gripped the voucher tightly, as if it was a precious gem. Vala forced herself to draw her gaze from her shaking hands to Eoin’s face. He had turned away, looking off into a distance. Her mouth gaped open, as if she was about to say something. She stuttered silently, for a few chimes, before just running off into the warrens without another word. A little star of bewildered gratitude burned, growing within her chest.

OOC :
I’m definitely ending it here. Eoin can have a concluding post if you’d like. We can start the next thread right away if you’d like. Vala’s still in her tantrum stage (and if she’s anything like me, that’s going to take at least 3 hours and a pint of ice cream to settle). Anymore interaction with Eoin would just lead to more hysteria. I’m thinking once everything has settled, Vala could meet Eoin in the kitchens again, maybe even with a semi-reluctant apology for her actions. (or just a head nod of shame) It’s all your call, just shoot me a PM or OOC on your thoughts. I really loved reading your writing. Oh! Before I forget - Would you like to incorporate Eoin’s mother somehow into our next thread?
For Me to Know, And You to Find Out

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Words: 439124
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2011, 7:22 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Flicker on May 18th, 2011, 4:09 pm

Eoin
XP:
Cooking 3, Leadership 1, Logic 2, Observation 2, Philosophy 2
Lore:
Meal: Grilled Salmon with brown sugar marinade and hints of lemon and garlic, Chef Davoid's guidance, Chef Davoid's approval, Serving and Easy Going Endal, Vegetable Preparation-washing & peeling & chopping, Delegating vegetable prep, confronting an assistant on food theft, Nipping a thievery problem in the bud, someone ending up feeling in the wrong for confronting a thief, botching a disciplinary action, Rewarding thievery

Vala
XP:
Meditation 1, Acting 1, Cooking 1, Observation 1
Lore:
Picking the wrong role to play
Peeling carrots
Sneaking bites
Avoiding blood contamination
getting caught stealing food
Honest excuses
Fleeing the scene of a crime
Crying your way out of trouble and into reward

Comments: Excellent job, guys. Eoin, I especially enjoyed your portrayal of life in the kitchens, as well as the inner workings of your character. Vala, man, get her some medication or something, :)
If I've missed anything, as I'm sure I did, just send me a PM!
For the GingieBreadHeads ...or those amongst them

Flicker
WHOA! Whatwasthat?!

Words: 59097
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2010, 3:04 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous