Fire walk with us [Term, Sondy & Goss]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Re: Fire walk with us [Term, Sondy & Goss]

Postby Gossamer on January 30th, 2010, 12:27 am

Glav looked thoughtfully at Sondra. Though his expression was guarded, it was almost as if he was surprised that she had accepted. It seemed he was not the only one, if that was the case, because her hand and her expression seemed detached from or astonished by her own decisions themselves. He smiled gently, nodded, and abruptly spoke. "Thank you. It would have worked, though it would have been incredibly awkward to have stepped in as a third. I can but I am oftentimes unsuitable for it. They borrow me a great deal at times... and I often have very little notice." He said, then nodded to her questions.

"As to the Councilor - you can ask the Cultural Council for their help if you'd like, but the one I am specifically referring too - Abashai - is going to find himself busy sooner than later, even if he doesn't yet understand the weight of task hanging from their shoulders. The Council will meet for winter in another ten days, but it is my hope that by then you'd all be well involved in destroying the temple. As to how to destroy it, that is simple enough. You must battle the temple's guardian and destroy him. It is a dark priest, who was sacrificed on the grounds of the temple itself, who has become its guardian. Be careful around him because even in this current form, which is not quite alive nor quite dead, he wields a powerful Chaon. Chaon, Rhysols force, is the ability to twist things and turn them to chaos. But he needs to be destroyed. Already we are seeing the signs of Rhysols encroachment. There's all sorts of signs if you know where to look. You'll start seeing them as time passes and you become more aware of what it is you face."
Glav said, then reached into his robe pocket. He pulled forth a lovely silver disk on a chain and handed it to Sondra.

"Just because the councilor cannot help you doesn't mean others aren't willing too, even from their graves."
Somethings were just too important.

"My father would have thought this appropriate to give you. It seems quite... ironic to tell you that because it belonged to my father, I have no access to its true power. But it was meant for rough-hewn hands with the potential for incredible grace... hands like yours. It's name is Tranquility."
The plain silver disk was hung from a delicate silver chain. "The sapphire is said to be formed from a single tear from my father's eye - the last tear he would ever shed. Legend has it that Rhysol, God of Evil and Chaos, used the rage of Ivak as an opportunity to strike upon the distracted Sylir. When Rhysol's final and fatal blow to Sylir was dealt, a single tear fell from the dying god's eye. As it fell, the tear solidifed into one of the purest sapphyres known to exist. The tear was not discovered until centuries later by a Syliran Knight. Something about the beautiful stone inspired the knight to bring it to me. I recognized it. It is infused with my father's energy. I think its origins are even older for my mother often spoke of Tranquility. I am certain this is the same stone. It's power, however, is unknown to me. But she told me ages before she died that Tranquility was meant for a konti with a tempest past, one with a heart of gold surrounded by solid steel. You fight like a warrior and have the teeth of a Talderian Grizzly. But, Sondra, you are capable of great things. Your strengths are not handicaps in the least. You simply need to find your way. This will help, if nothing else, you find a bit of peace in your life. And it will certainly help you in this quest. And if all else fails, you can sell it for food. But keep it, for I think it will help you from mental onslaughts like this guardian is capable. And I think it might even be able to cure mental illness. For I've often allowed the infirm to hold it and their cloudy minds have cleared. But it was meant for none of them truly. Only for you..." He grinned then, understanding her mentality, if only a little.

He turned to Leo then, looking thoughtful. "I admire your staunch stance, Leo Varniak. Even though I might not fully agree with your views, you indeed stand by them, which is very important. I'd like to think I know Ivak well, though it is hard to know someone truly who does not stand face to face with you. But there was a time we used to hunt together and sit by the fire afterwards and play something abysmally normal like traviant - a game of stratagem and compromise. I never bested him. It was because he read my emotions too clearly. I think you are a lot like him in that way. I get the impression you read people constantly, back and forth, scanning and judging. I don't even know if you realize it." He said gently, then pulled forth another item from his long robe.

He carefully handed it to Leo, and looked thoughtful. "Do not laugh at its name. It is a very very powerful item, one you can use multiple times if you care for it carefully. Just do not draw its makers attention too much by using it too often or too frequently. That is... Nikali's Leash." Glav said, then took a breath, launching into a story while Leo examined the item.

It was a simple looking, three-foot long black leather strap that was studded with tiny iron spurs on one side. "The strap is much more than a plain looking bondage implement, Leo, because it is marked by the Goddess of Slavery and Lust, Nikali. The strap is most often wrapped around one's arm or leg with the spur side coming in direct contact with the wearer's flesh. Wearing the leash can be quite uncomfortable and at times, painful. With the discomfort and pain however comes periodic waves of pure, unhinged pleasure. The strap is designed so that when the wearer tugs on one end of it, the rest of it tightens around the arm causing greater pain and with it, greater pleasure." Glav explained, then looked thoughtful. "It looks like nothing but a toy, but it is so much more. The power of the leash is grounded in its status as a marked object of Nikali. Wearers of the leash quickly become slaves to it as the mixture of pain and pleasure becomes more addicting than the most potent drug. Along with that however, the leash allows the wearer to unhinge others from forced servitude." Glav paused. "There is a catch however. In order to free one from servitude, the wearer must tug on the leash hard enough to break the hold another has over the slave. This use of the leash does not bring about pleasure but terrible, biting pain instead. The stronger the hold over the servant, the harder the wearer must tug on the leash. Use of the leash for freeing others causes the wearer to grow ever more dependent on the leash for the pleasure it gives." Glav said softly. "You will need strong friends, a strong triad, to break its hold over you if you use it to break the Rhysol's hold over his servant - the temple guardian." Glav swallowed, looking almost relieved to be free of the thing. Though when he tipped his head slightly, he thought he heard soft delighted feminine laughter. He had no idea of the mortals heard it as well.

Terminus was the last who needed to be responded too. He agreed readily to help, trustingly nodding his head. "Terminus, while your trust is well founded, think carefully about what you agree to in the future. I know you trust Ivak, but there are a great many gods that do not deserve such trust. Consult your triad, and listen to each of them carefully. You tend to leap before you look, following your heart rather than your common sense. These two are a good balance for you. They look before they leap... usually. For this reason alone, it is good you are in the triad. " And with that, he pulled forth a third object, handing it to Terminus.

"Sormir's Tooth." Glav said, then gave Terminus a chance to look at the obsidian hilt wrapped in a tattered red leather grip. It's blade was broken though, disappointingly so. It looked like trash, though its original form would most likely have looked like an unusual longsword. "Once wielded by the Azenth, Sormir, many years before the Valterrian, the Tooth was a mighty blade that exercised Sormir's battle-rage upon his enemies. Sormir was a giant of a man and legend has it that he wielded the sword in one hand; using it as if it were no larger than a shortsword. Upon his death at the hands of a powerful warlord serving the god, Rhysol, Sormir dropped the sword as he himself fell. Upon striking the ground, the blade of Sormir's Tooth shattered leaving only the hilt and a broken shard where the once might blade had been. The Tooth was taken as a trophy by the warlord but became lost over the centuries that followed. The Tooth was found centuries after the Valterrian and ended up here with me. I've been holding it for a new Azenth." Glav said softly, looking sad. Too many had been lost throughout time... that much was certain.

"Although broken, the Tooth is still useful in combat. Its size and weight are such that anyone capable of wielding a longsword can wield the Tooth as if it were one."
Indeed it looked sharp. The broken blade is about a two-feet long and fractured at the end. "Legend has it that if the blade were wielded by another Azentor and the original ritual of its creation redone, the Tooth would be whole again and its full potential realized. For now however, the Tooth has the ability to channel one's rage and focus it into the blade. When the blade strikes another surface, be it metal, flesh or whatever, that rage may be unleashed from the blade and sent into the target. This causes the force of one's attacks to be greatly amplified such that the opponent feels as though they were hit by something much larger than they. Be careful with it, Terminus. And channel your rage. I know you do not have much, but soon you will have more than enough reasons to be angry. Channel that anger." Glav said, then suddenly reached out.

His arms ignited, then his torso, and finally his robes and face. He was, all in that instant, a living wall of fire. His eyes took on a surreal glow, shadowing above and below his orbits, making them looked more recessed. He looked younger, almost handsome, as his hair grew in length, twisting longer with tongues of flame. He pointed at Sondra and she ignited as well. Fire consumed her and then leapt to Leo. He became engulfed and his fire overflowed, leaping onto Terminus and catching him on fire. They were, in that instant, four pillars of fire in the small sitting room. Flames licked from Terminus back to Glav who no longer looked like Glav at all, and the figure laughed. He writhed in the fire like he danced among it, neither flesh nor bone, but simply elemental. There was no doubt he was one of the Elemental Lords in that instant. And as he danced, they each felt their left palms burn with a twisted fire. Three balls of flame, intertwined, etched into their palms tattooing them deeply and permanently, marking them as a Triad - its center design a complex symbol - the map symbol in fact - for Syliras. In addition, Leo felt flames lick his back, over his Gnosis mark, doubling it, making it more intricate, more twisted, more powerful. Sondra felt the back of her neck, from her hairline down a delicate swath to her collarbone light up, a twisting flame forming there that would never be erased - marking her as one of Ivaks. Terminus himself heard his gift open a bit more, linking him to the other two so he could, in that inferno, feel who exactly they were. He could find them, either of them, anywhere in a reasonable distance by knowing how exactly their souls felt. Sondra was uniquely Sondra. Leo was uniquely Leo... and he homed in on that... so the Triad never lacked a finder.

And as quickly as the blaze took them, it vanished. Their clothing was steaming but intact, and Glav was in a puddle on the floor, his expression serene but his complexion pale. He wasn't moving but he was breathing. Terminus could tell Glav was not exactly Glav when he was preforming the ritual. There was a sense of borrowed time, space eclipsed, life extended and expanded.

Before too long the priest groaned, sat up, and blinked. He studied the trio then smiled. "Is everyone okay?"
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Terminus Norin on January 30th, 2010, 10:12 am

Terminus seemed to be intently listening to everything Glav was saying. He was concerned about the Temple, he knew it had to be destroyed but what they were yet to do was unclear to him. He was not despite appearances prone to leaping where but gods feared to tread, after all he valued his own existence. For him there was never any doubt it had to be done, that was faith. But his faith was not entirely blind, simply well founded.

He again listened as Glav talked to Sondra. He listened as she was told that the councilor would not be able to help, he also was interested to find it was Abashai who had originally discovered this temple. He was pretty sure Nya had been with him when this happened since they were never far apart for long. He also noted the gift with which the Konti soon to be Azenth was presented.

A relic of Sylir, perhaps even a fragment, and it cleared the cloudy mind. He wondered what it' full potential was. He was simply glad that maybe they had a weapon against the Chaon, perhaps they would yet come out of this whole. He agreed with Glav that the Konti had much potential and strength, much of it that she discounted or simply hid. He hoped that maybe this experience would help her see that.

Then there was Leo. he noted that the Alvina admired Leo's resolve and even compared him to Ivak noting how much he was like him in his judgment and perception. This made him wonder about his own beliefs about the fire god if Leo was like him than maybe being balanced was not the answer, It certainly bore thinking on. He did not laugh,but was intrigued by the gift he was given.

The Leash of Nikali, the goddess of lust and slavery. Terminus was familiar with much of the pantheon, though his specialty was Ivak. He knew that if the leash was a marked item that Leo was going to have to be very strong indeed should he have to use it. Addiction to others needs was a common effect of being exposed to Nikali's gnosis.

Terminus however when it came his turn to be spoken to and gifted was not in agreement with Glav. As per his earlier thoughts he was not prone to go where only gods tread without considering the consequences. Sometimes you had to leap even if it meant sacrificing, that was what faith was about, trusting that the greater good would come from one's actions and beliefs. He knew the others had strengths he didn't that's why they were together.

The gift he was given was a powerful one like the others and came with a responsibility just like the others. To channel rage was a great power as he knew what it could do, just look at the Valterrain.

Then he felt more than saw Glav's transformation. There was a surge of power in the room and a familiar presence but only a hint of it. They were consumed by the fire that Glav had become and again he felt the sense that Glav was not Glav but was being borrowed. Then his palm burned with the mark of the Triad and he felt his gift open wide in regard to Sondra and Leo. He knew he would always know where they were just by sensing their souls. They would never be truly separated as long as they lived, they were one now and yet three.

When it was over he could see that Glav was exhausted but serene. He patiently waited, watching him to be sure he was okay. When asked if he himself was alright he nodded.

So now what next? He looked at his companions since they seemed to be forming a plan of action.
Its not wheither you win or lose but how you play that counts
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Words: 63849
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2009, 4:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Leo Varniak on January 30th, 2010, 9:51 pm

Leo rapped his fingers on the table, curious to see what would happen next. There were no more excuses now, with Sondra willing to be a part of the Triad. It was time to see what a Triad was all about, and if this one had what it took to defeat Rhysol's agents. There had been enough detours, enough if's and but's. Leo had sacrificed much just so he could rid his life of those little words. It was time to get back on track.

Glav issued a warning about the temple's guardian, whom Leo imagined would be ugly and twisted as befitting his master. Leo had something of an artist's mindset in his own way, and Rhysol's tasteless ways were a physical reflection of his wicked being. It could only be purged with fire, of course.

The Azenth blinked and tilted his head when Glav began distributing gifts to the three of them. Leo had to remind himself the old adage about not looking a gift horse in the mouth, for the proffered items seemed decidedly lackluster to him, to use an understatement. And naturally, his own item happened to be the most abysmal in the lot... Nikali's leash! He wondered it this was Glav's way to get back at him for the perfumery jab. At least Sondra's disc and Terminus' broken sword had some kind of general purpose. One ostensibly limited the influence of Chaon, and the other channeled rage into some kind of power (though Terminus did not seem like one prone to anger, truth told).

But the leash? Free a slave? Did that mean the only way to destroy the temple guardian was to use this on him? Even if the item had some kind of higher purpose like freeing someone from an addiction, it was also the only item with a real drawback - it was a textbook example of "blessed with suck". Moreover, it did not fit Leo's personality at all. Leo did not offer freedom or redemption, much less with such danger to himself. Leo did not offer a second chance in the form of a way out. Leo just punished you for wasting your first chance. He gave the leash a long, dubious look. It looked like something a crazed monk from Nyka might want to wear to humiliate his own body.

Leo had the impression that Glav, for all his praising the device, was not fully convinced himself. He was trying too hard. When he cautioned against using it too often, Leo gave his answer without hesitating. "I think we are pretty safe on that count." He produced his handkerchief before he picked the leash up, unwilling to touch it without the cloth as a screen. He regarded it as a man would a poisonous snake he was clutching in his hands. Man, what a pile of shyke. As if he was ever going to use this bit of divine junk.

He was one inch away from telling Glav it had been a good joke, but now it was time to pull out the real gifts. Where were the beam-shooting rings, the magical bombs, the ground-shattering spells? That was the kind of resources you needed against Rhysol.

Thankfully, what happened next was enough to satisfy Leo and put aside his frustration with the gift he had been given. At long last, Glav performed the ritual for creating the Triad, and suddenly they were all on fire. This was a somewhat familiar feeling to Leo, but still took his breath away like it had the first time. He could feel his gnosis root itself more firmly in his very being, and realized he was being given a second mark. Frankly, he did not think this would be the case after his words spoken to Glav. Ivak was such an interesting guy.

He adjusted his steamy clothes as Glav pulled himself up. "I am fine. He was here, right? For the briefest moment." And he was letting Leo do things his way. Leo knew it was the right choice. This was exactly the kind of god he could work under.

"Now we get some rest and storm the temple of Rhysol, I guess. We can take care of the cover business afterwards. No use stocking up on supplies for the shop if we die before we can sell them." Jokes were a dangerous omen in Leo. He grinned, eager to put his new gnosis mark to the test.
Leo Varniak
It was a pleasure to burn

Words: 426121
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (2)
Donor (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sondra on February 6th, 2010, 4:57 am

Sondra wasn't in the habit of receiving presents. The one's Grandmother Eunoe gave were double-edged, or came with strings revealed at a later date. The silver disc dangling in front of Sondra was looked at stupidly, as if she didn't quite understand what was going on.

Only after a pause long enough to be awkward did she clasp the pendant with both her hands. She stared at the disc as it rested in her hands. Tranquility. A word both frightening and dear. If her mind was at peace what would she be forced to consider in that silence? But then how long until the noise became overwhelming, moving past dreams, worming into the root of her mind?

"Thank you."

She lowered her head to loop the chain around her neck. It joined another holding two keys.

Find her way, the phrase stuck more than the others. She was trying to make up a path after the last had vanished, cutting at briars and kicking aside rubble. She wondered how long until she was lost or found on this road.

The others received their gifts in turn, Sondra secretly liked hers best. At least it could be bartered on looks alone if she fell out of favor. No one would buy a broken hilt or leash, well maybe the leash if that was their fancy…

Just when the morning couldn't turn any stranger, Glav suddenly stretched his arms and lit up like kindling. It wasn't a gentle smoldering but a shock of flames blinked into existence.

Sondra recoiled, almost toppling her chair. Before she could flinch again, Glav was pointing at her. It wasn't Glav, though, but a divine face, wonderful and wild in the flames. The inferno spread to her, but didn't bring the agony she feared. It burned, like longing or cathartic pain, but it did not destroy.

The fire moved to her hands and nape of her neck, reflecting in her scales. And then it was snuffed.

"Petch me!" Sondra was on her feet, offering a hand to the crumpled Glav even as she fumed.
What followed was likely Konti oaths, if they had any, but it certainly wasn't common.

Once he was on his feet, she pointed at Glav almost accusingly, but her trembling hand lessened the effect.
"You set me on fire. Gods damned fire! No warning, either."

Sondra heavily fell into her chair, she looked at her palm and touched the back of her next where the gnosis began.

This made her remove the silver disk in a hurry. Off came her coat and up went the silver side of the pendant angled towards her back. While lifting her hair, Sondra strained to see the mark in her periphery. She then tugged at the back of her shirt collar, revealing mail of silvery, iridescent scales. They were a strange reminder, that despite popular opinion, she was indeed a Konti.

"At least it's not a stamp on my forehead like those poor Opal Order saps."

One finger traced the design, following the braid of cobalt blue fire. It was almost lovely, but she wasn't going to admit that aloud.

Sondra took a deep breath, transferring from shock into resignation. The amulet was looped around her neck again as Leo spoke. She huffed a laugh at his morbid joke, Sondra like her humor like her tea: dark and a little bitter.

"I find it amusing how the gods mark us, like a child carving his name on a toy."
A wicked grin crossed her face as she glanced to Leo.
"Speaking of toys," her chin pointed toward Leo's new leash, "I didn't know you were that sort of a fellow, Leo."

The Konti then folded her hands and announced hoarsely, "I could use a drink, who's with me?"

The idea of it being morning was relative anyway. Considering the amount of sleep she got, it was more an extension of the day before.
Sondra
The Sinspeaker

Words: 141440
Joined roleplay: October 13th, 2009, 6:47 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Gossamer on February 15th, 2010, 7:56 am

Glav smiled slightly, nodded, and sighed. "Yes, he was here. You can do that sometimes, even as a god imprisoned, if an Alvina wears your marks willingly. I think the rest suggestion is an excellent idea. Then you need to group, face your first challenge, and return and establish your cover. Be careful in the mean time, make friends with the Naryn, and explore the possibilities of working withing Syliras' environment which will become turbulent in the days to come.. especially if you fail in eradicating the temple." Glav said gently. "Are there any more questions or anything else I can help you with? If not, I'd rather like to get some rest myself. Having your soul trod upon isn't always the most pleasant of experiences." He said gently. If they looked closely, they'd see a gray tinge to his skin and a new sallowness under his eyes. Truthfully, Glav had done everything he could for them now. The rest was up to them. He'd be there in the future, when facing more important things had to happen. But until then they had enough to worry about and a large enough task in front of them.

Terminus
Experience: +3 Interrogation +2 Leadership
Lore: Lore of Druvin, Lore of Chaon, Lore of Ionu's changable appearence, Lore of Glav Navik being an Alvina and the son of Sylir, Lore of Zai Initiation, Lore of Sormir's tooth, Lore of Nikali's Leash, Lore of Tranquility.
Additional Notes: Awarded Sormir's Tooth (Added to SS Thread). Has been in the presence of Ionu & Ivak.
Leo
Lore: Lore of Druvin, Lore of Chaon, Lore of Ionu's changable appearence, Lore of Glav Navik being an Alvina and the son of Sylir, Lore of Zai Initiation, Lore of Sormir's tooth, Lore of Nikali's Leash, Lore of Tranquility.
Additional Notes: Awarded Nikali's Leash (Added to SS Thread). Has been in the presence of Ionu & Ivak. Awarded second Gnosis Mark of Ivak for assembling a Triad of Zai.

Sondra
Additional Notes: Awarded Tranquility (Added to SS Thread), Has been in the presence of Ionu & Ivak. Awarded first Gnosis Mark of Ivak for agreeing to join the Triad of Zai.

Further Note: Your new Triad Location now has a resident Naryn. It is a creature that has a natural ability to appear to be anything it wants to be in the animal kingdom. It's true form is unknown though anyone with a mark from Avalis, Eryis, or another likely God/dess can figure out its original form if they have enough talent/gnosis mark. If someone wants to claim it as a pet, that is fine... you guys can work it out between you three. Gillar eagerly awaits your presence in your quest thread. And I'll have something for you three next season to continue this story.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Previous