[Flashback] So Much For Hunting... [Darren]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Encompassing a vast wilderness filled with flora and fauna of immense proportions, the Northern Reaches include all the Talderian Forest north of the Suvan and stretch into the vast permanent tundra and ice fields outside Avanthal.

Postby Atyvn on June 3rd, 2011, 12:24 am

23rd of Fall, 508 AV

They weren't too far past the Icewall Gates now, finally getting into denser areas with trees. He was certain that one of those snow burdened branches was going to attack him before this hunt was over, though his intuition failed him enough to not trust that foresight.This was one of the first hunting trips he had gone on in his life, but it wasn't a trip that was required, just something to get out of Avanthal for a while. It was growing a little stuffy today in his house and he had nothing better to do than practice and learn more about the gnosis mark he had etched into his skin for as long as he could remember.

A flash of haunting memories recapped that horrid day of this place and of this direction they were going. It had been almost a full two years since his father's death and he had no desire to stumble into those particular trees ever again. The teen snapped his thoughts back to the present and glanced over at his hunting companion, Darren.

He was trying to remember something about Darren to get his mind off that horrid event in his life. He knew he was nineteen, he knew he was of WhiteVine hold, he knew his father was a bit of an... 'Elitist', as some would say. Other than that though, he didn't know too incredibly much about his companion. He enjoyed Darren's company none-the-less because he was a prolific guy and that normally helped him, Atyvn, get out of his slumps sometimes.
Last edited by Atyvn on June 7th, 2011, 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Atyvn
The Novice Hunter

Words: 34589
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2011, 6:33 am
Blog: View Blog (5)
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

So Much For Hunting... [Darren]

Postby Darren on June 3rd, 2011, 12:55 am

"You like what you see pretty boy? Maybe I'll do a trick if you keep staring" Darren said giving an easy smile to the younger boy. He rolled his eyes to the high heavens as he paced forward. Only a bit more until we find whatever it is he wanted to try and catch he thought as he scanned across the snowy ice land, eh. maybe. Convinced there wasn't anything that warranted his immediate attention he continued his pacing before they reached a clearing. "Ah good, good. Any longer in that thicket and we run the risk of getting confused as a pair of idiot hunters" he muttered loud enough for Atyvn to hear.

He took a deep breath as he reached for his water skin. Taking a quick swig from the container he considered what he would make Atyvn busy. Be best to keep moving forward, if he stagnates and spends too much time brooding he might put his negative emotions inward. He sighed as he pulled the water skin from him, sneaking a quick look at his hunting companion. He already understood what happens to those who worried too much and just withdrew from life. They become fat, useless, and don't fulfill their potential. Something a person like me hates to see. Useless emotions like that shouldn't even be considered he thought as he glance in front of him. "Aright playboy, lead the way. I have no idea where you want to go with this but just make sure it's worth our time" he grinned as he motioned Atyvn in front of him.

Darren wasn't informed on what the two were doing just yet so he still had to prod Atyvn forward or else they might just stand around talking about feelings. Darren quickly rolled his eyes again at the thought. If he comes to that I'll just have to get him angry or incite him into that righteous fury crap those priests love he mused softly. That of course would lead him to put his negative emotions outward, seeing society as an antagonist and strike out. He gave one of his rare, scheming smiles behind Atyvn's back. If it comes to that it I can handle him. I'll have fun with it...
The original PC of Miria and Bolivar

Darren
I Dare

Words: 346232
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2011, 12:53 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Atyvn on June 3rd, 2011, 1:33 am

"And if I do?" he replied quickly with another question. He enjoyed Darren's company for the sole reason that his unending remarks keep his mind off things and allowed him to exercise his wit. He rolled his eyes slightly and ignored his companion's concern that they might be labeled idiots out here in the Reaches.

Atyvn scanned the clearing for any signs of immediate danger or possible prey for his arrows. He let the older boy's comment slide for a few silent moments as he continued looking around. "From the nicknames you give me, one would assume you take a liking to my appearance." he said in an almost monotone, never taking his eyes of the tree line on the opposite side of the clearing. And if he does? he thought, but quickly dismissed it.

"Oh and pelts." he said to give answer to Darren's previous statement. "Could use the extra money. Thought maybe you would want a bit extra in your pocket as well." he said, finally turning his gaze to the older boy, his now blue eyes turning a slightly lighter shade. Deep in his mind his father still pestered his thoughts, but he shoved them back down.
Atyvn
The Novice Hunter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Darren on June 3rd, 2011, 10:49 pm

Darren straightened up as Atyvn turned around. No fun if he had an early warning of what he was planning, even better fun if he doesn't even realize what he was doing. Darren returned a bemused smile at the other Vantha's answer. "Yea... pelts. What Avanthal needs the most. Pelts. Only thing we are good for, not going to be found idling in some forest catching bugs, collecting plants, or fishing. No we hunt... that's a given. But what exactly did you have in mind?" he asked. Darren stopped walking as he saw that Atyvn stopped. Maybe I can open up a taxidermy, stuff animals and sell them. Morwen knows I can sink a small boat with all the rabbits I can caught. he sarcastically wondered as he waited for any indication of Atyvn to lead.

Standing patiently in the snow Darren let himself watch Atyvn brood dramatically for a moment. His face winced slightly in a quick episode of anger, letting out a deep sigh while simultaneously grinding his teeth. "Hey Dorothy? You there? Let's get a move on already" he rolled his eyes as he moved to smack some perspective back into Atyvn's head. "Anyways... you see any tracks we can follow? You know... do that whole hunter thing? Last time I tried to do that stuff I stumbled across a boar's nest. Anyways let's do what we are trained to do... You track and shoot and I'll just brain anything that gets to close. Capisce?" he asked as he rolled his eyes.

oocSorry it's on the short side.

Darren
I Dare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Atyvn on June 4th, 2011, 11:58 am

Atyvn glanced at the WhiteVine boy and started off once more at a quicker pace. "Come on Todo, come on boy!" he said, breaking into a light run as he weaved himself into the tree line. If his companion had any hunting experience, he would've known clearings in any area is good for spotting any game if any were around. He was growing a bit annoyed with the older boy though, but nothing too serious to bother his thoughts.

But at the mention of their acquired skills, he came to a realization. If he wanted to, he could just leave the older where he was. He could not say that the thought didn't cross his mind. He mentally shrugged off the often swirling thoughts and roughly dodged another stationary tree.

Growing rather annoyed at not being able to find any tracks what-so-ever, he slowed to a stop next to a tree and looked around it for anything to give him a clue to any animal. He was up for almost anything at this point. His eyes slowly made their way to the snow behind the tree, seeing little holes in the snow. A hare is a decent catch... just try not to mess up its features too much. he thought, but still sighed. He had said pelts earlier, but he really didn't have much else purpose to be out here. A hare was just a little disappointing even though they could still sell the fur and the meat.

With no further delay, he went about the task of following the small holes in the snows formed by a hopping hare, not taking a glance back at Darren.
Atyvn
The Novice Hunter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Darren on June 5th, 2011, 3:45 am

Darren followed suit as Atyvn led the way, showing off a bit of restraint as the hunter followed the small tracks in the snow. Oh, alright... one rodent Darren realized as he noticed the reoccurring pattern soon after, ...and it's nondire. Great. His face scrunched up into a less then amused expression as they followed the small animal's tracks through the area. After going through some shrubbery and bushes, they finally reached the hole where the rabbit lived. "Congratulations Sally, now let's hurry this little escapade up. I doubt you'll need my assistance for this" Darren remarked, pointing his finger at Atyvn's bow and the rabbit hole before he turned to look for something to do. A quick breath to calm himself, he tried to find any other indications of animal life.

Darren walked only a few feet away from Atyvn as he heard some activity in the area.Turning quickly, Darren's gaze moved from place to place. He was looking for movement, not a physical object. One thing at a time he reminded himself as he tried to look through the snow. Darren couldn't for the life of him, truly get a good glimpse of what it was. Whatever it was it was certainly light on it's feet, just leaving a disturbed bush in it's wake. By now Darren was clear away from Atyvn, trying to catch whatever it was he was trying to find. "Keep running, I'll find you eventually" he muttered under his breathe. Taking long strides into another around the deep forest he was led to, his breathe was stilled as he came across a huge barricade of wood. Darren paused as he eye'd the structure, what could possibly be in there?

After surveying the surrounding area he found that there was no opening to the barricade, as much as he would search through the snow. "Whoever made this seems to to be very picky about not wanting to be disturbed" he mused as he watched the approaching snow cover up the wall again. "All this snow here just to make entering this place harder" he muttered as he pushed some of the snow out of place. Finally taking away most of the snow blocking his way, he turned back to find that he was alone. "Oh yea, I forgot to bother Barbara about ...whatever it was I was following" he realized as he looked back at the door. Well at least this trip proved interesting he remarked as he forced his way through the barricade.
Last edited by Darren on June 6th, 2011, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darren
I Dare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Atyvn on June 5th, 2011, 4:15 am

Atyvn crouched down next to the hole quietly, not to disturb the resident inside. He didn't really have a lot of options here. He slowly walked around the tree and found what he was looking for. He carefully slid out his flint and steel from his pack and searched around in the immediate area for something dry. When that failed, he took out one end of rope and cut maybe a foot of it off with his scimitar and stuffed the rope back in his pack. He struck the flint against the steel as quietly as he could, but he could hear the slight rustle of movement inside the hole. But he didn't need another try at it since the rope was lit. He threw the smoldering rope quickly inside the second entrance he had found and covered it with his boot.

The vantha took his bow off and notched an arrow before the smoke started to slightly puff out the first hole and he waited. His eyes gathered that his companion was no longer in the immediate area and sighed. Maybe next time I should invite somone more into hunting. he thought, but the view of white furred ears caught his attention before anymore wishful thoughts came about. He steadied his aim where he assumed the rabbit to appear from its hole, the first hole being about four meters away so it was an easy shot.

He looked about the brush and trees, following Darren's footprints with a casual speed walk. He was really in no rush to find the older boy who had surely saw something that caught his attention. The two long-eared snow hares were placed in his bag, wrapped in the tarp of his tent to prevent the blood staining everything else. It just so happened to be that that there were two hares in the hole. If he wants coin, he better hopes he bags something. he thought. But what the hell was he following?

Soon he was in sight of the barricade and his companion's prints lead to it. "Lovely." he said stoically and pressed on.
Atyvn
The Novice Hunter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Darren on June 6th, 2011, 9:58 pm

ImageWandering inside the barricade he looked to find an odd assortment of things. But the underlying theme seemed to be wood, and lots of it. An assortment of twigs, branches and leaves littered the area as Darren made his way through the litter. "Erm... this is new" Darren noted as he wandered he area. After walking for a bit Darren found what looked to be a frozen stream running through the middle of the barricade. After having tooken a few steps away from the barricade, Darren say he entered through the side of the area. The wood was piled up in the shores of the lake but for the most part there wasn't much of the stuff on the lake itself.

Darren turned as he inspected the ice, testing his weight on it little by little. True it was starting to get colder now but one couldn't be too careful with these types of things. Otherwise convinced the ice would hold he manuvered atop the ice, looking back every once in awhile to see the wooden structure behind him. Thing is huge... what could possibly manage to do all this. And what did that abberation from before have to do with all this? Darren paused as he realized he left Sally all alone. That he was alone. Taking a moment to sigh sadly to himself, he he looked back wondering if he should try to seek out Atyvn. He probably caught those rabbits and was wondering where he was. Probably eating them already if he was didn't care. He had to face facts. He was alone, he was alone while chasing whatever that thing was through the forest and now he's also lost in the middle of some weird place. In any case, Darren stood for the a few moments trying to convince himself on what to do.

"Meh, I've been in worse. I'll push on"
he muttered, somewhat unconvinced. Darren would have to deal with being solo for once, in Taldera. Always a bad idea, but one he was willing to try out in anycase. " Alright let's see if I can find anything interesting in here..." he said to himself, as he continued along the frozen river. Something like that he thought as he came upon another clump of wood in the middle of the lake. Nearing almost 15 feet in diameter, it took up a good portion of the river, almost making a bridge between the two sides. "Alright... what do I happens now?"

oocSorry for the lack of flow in this one. Also I'm taking out the door in the barricade. So don't forget to edit your earlier post also.
Last edited by Darren on June 6th, 2011, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darren
I Dare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Atyvn on June 6th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Atyvn looked at the crude entrance to the 'barricade'. Seeing that Darren's footprints went in and came out indicated that he didn't have to bother with the structure. He kept following the tracks that were barely outlined on the ice from the light layer of snow. Though he had to truthfully admit to himself that all the wood had got him curious. This isn't natural... he thought and instinctively looked around him for something to attack him. Satisfied that there was nothing there, he kept moving.

He crouched a little and put his hand to the ice that Darren had walked over for a slight moment to use his gnosis to see it the ice was safe to walk across and then proceeded onward confident than it would hold. His hunting companion proved to be easy to track and that thought had particularly amused him. Though he hoped he would catch up to the Whitevine boy soon, he didn't like having someone wander off without him out in the Reaches. Mainly because he didn't wish to be held responsible.
Atyvn
The Novice Hunter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Darren on June 7th, 2011, 12:53 am

Darren made tracks to the crude dome structure atop the ice, pausing for a moment as the ice beneath him suddenly cracked. Quickly retreating a few paces back he crouched down as he examined the ice in front of him. After pushing around the snow blanketing the general area he saw that the ice below him was solid. "That's weird, I'm sure I heard something" he remarked as he tried to find any cracks within the ice. Oddly enough, he couldn't find any. It was as if he imagined the whole ordeal. "I suppose I should just go slowly... Just incase" he whispered at the ice.

Staying low to atop the ice, he sauntered slowly over the ice. Taking care to move as silently and softly as possible, he made his way near the dome in the middle of the river. "What in the world is this?" he asked as he went around the structure. It looked as if it rose from the ice itself, as if it placed it's roots into the ice. Erm... what am I suppose to do now? he thought as he stood upright over the structure. In height the thing was nearly chest level to Darren, nearly 5 feet tall. There has to be a reason why someone would put this here. Now I just have to figure out why... He circled around the mound of wood again, trying to find an opening or subtle lever to no avail. A bit disappointed and annoyed, Darren sighed as he leaned back into the mound. Looking up into the sky above him, he shook his head as he tried to figure out the scene.

http://www.northwestwildlifeonline.com/BeaverKits3cmp.JPG

Darren
I Dare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next