Why are Charoda so unpopular?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Candira on June 7th, 2011, 12:40 pm

You would have to create a thread in the Help Forum, describing your character concept. And, I'm assuming because it's so radically different from the general behavior of the Charoda, you would also have to describe your reasoning, his/her history, and how/why that would be beneficial to the Mizahar storyline and world.

That's really all I can offer you. c;
Candira
A Curious Soul

Words: 26228
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2011, 6:03 pm
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Postby Acanthus on June 7th, 2011, 7:47 pm

I'm not sure if you'd have to create a Help Desk thread or not, but I must say that I find creating a peaceful character in the midst of such violence and death rather refreshing. But if you're so bent on being evil, just remember that you still have to be a vegetarian, because you can't digest meat. Just one of the many reasons the Charoda chose a peaceful lifestyle after the Valterrian.
Acanthus
Wizard

Words: 11928
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2011, 9:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Candira on June 7th, 2011, 8:12 pm

I always like to err on the safe side, but that's just me c:
Candira
A Curious Soul

Words: 26228
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2011, 6:03 pm
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Postby Ciryll on June 7th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Oh, I totally see the need to act within the biological guidelines, make no mistake. It'd just be pants on head stupid to go against the physiological requirements.

I just have a hard time coping with a couple of other things- one is that the ocean is always a terrifying place so how a bunch of sea hippies even manage to exist is mind boggling.
I suppose with the protection of large numbers and of their reef, though it does take a long time to grow coral and the depth + water temperature + amount of silt + a large number of other environmental factors critical to coral health come into play. So at least it's not way deep down where the truly Lovecraftian nightmares dwell. But there's still a very diverse number of nasty little sea creatures that might not want to actively eat you, but have no problem dropping you cold given the opportunity. Pufferfish, Lionfish, Jellyfish, octopus (yes, some are venomous) Stonefish, Cone shells. ...heck, even Pistol shrimp are pretty badass, and they're tiny li'l guys. Of course given the dire nature of animals in Mizahar (pun very much intended) it can only be more terrifying. I'm just saying that even though they might be non-aggressive, that doesn't change the rest of the ocean's eat or be eaten directive. The constant competition to survive is as old as life itself.

The other is that to me any story without conflict is dull, but sea farming and playing nicey-nice with other fish people has no drama or energy (to me.) There's nothing that suggests any dangers they face daily, or what sort of political forces might be at work in their society, or moral challenges brought to them. I feel that they are for lack of a better word, a naive race.

These are only opinions I have, I'm not trying to be "that guy."

It's hard to feel the urge to make a character when it's basically laid out that 'you may only have a personality that fits such and such a way within so and so parameters, and if you want to do anything off model you must appeal to the powers that be.' It's difficult to want to do either, putting in the work to make an interesting personality within those guidelines or putting in the work doing something different and running the risk of having it shot down.

So basically, those are my problems with the Charoda.
Ciryll
Player

Words: 9740
Joined roleplay: May 21st, 2011, 1:22 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rage on June 8th, 2011, 12:20 am

I believe your questions, and underlying frustration with the race, come from the fact that Charbosi itself is not developed yet and you can only work with what's available. Constraining, yes, but there you have it.

To answer at least one issue you raised, from what I've heard from Cayenne, the Charodae have trained sharks and water dragons for protection. Pretty useless against Myrians unless they choose to attack those that venture into the sea but these creatures serve their purpose when it comes to defending their city and the race in general.

Notice: I will not be available for modding in the foreseeable future until I've cleared up my backlog of Miz stuff (PC and ST-wise). Hopefully, it's a temporary thing, but we'll see. I will still grade your threads, however.
Rage
Devourer of Souls

Words: 109059
Joined roleplay: August 5th, 2010, 4:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Ciryll on June 8th, 2011, 12:29 am

Where does the feeding of these trained animals fit within their pacifistic vegan lifestyle?
A shark's gotta eat too.
Ciryll
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rage on June 8th, 2011, 12:40 am

There are many fish in the sea. ;)

Beside, just because a person is vegan doesn't mean he forces his dog to eat grass.

Notice: I will not be available for modding in the foreseeable future until I've cleared up my backlog of Miz stuff (PC and ST-wise). Hopefully, it's a temporary thing, but we'll see. I will still grade your threads, however.
Rage
Devourer of Souls

Office

Postby Acanthus on June 8th, 2011, 1:51 am

My character always carries and trains with a shortspear. He prefers not to use it, but sometimes it's unavoidable.
Acanthus
Wizard

Words: 11928
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2011, 9:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Ciryll on June 8th, 2011, 2:16 am

Rage wrote:
There are many fish in the sea. ;)

Beside, just because a person is vegan doesn't mean he forces his dog to eat grass.

I live in a part of the real world absolutely infested with ultra vegans... I really don't want to answer that, but I will say that there is a lucrative business for those who sell vegetarian pet food.
Ciryll
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rage on June 8th, 2011, 2:47 am

I don't recall asking a question, but I will reply to any further queries about Charoda to the best of my knowledge. It's Cayenne's race however, so her word overrides mine.

Rage
Devourer of Souls

Office

PreviousNext