Storms of the Past - Dreams of the Future (Torc)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

Postby Gossamer on October 24th, 2010, 3:05 am

The Goddess of Love and the Alvina of Peace exchanged glances and then turned as one to speak. "No. Stay." Cheva grew silent and Glav added yet another statement. "I came only seeking company, not to companions apart. May I join you both? This is a restless night, though nothing strikes me as wrong about it." He said simply, looking between Cheva and Torc. "I hope for a swift crossing, but the sailors are worried nonetheless. Karjin is an unknown. You gave him a task, I see." Glav said softly, studying Torc as if seeing him for the first time in a new way.

"Should we wait for Karjin, or shall we have him work it now while all is peaceful?"
Glav asked Cheva who looked thoughtful. She glanced at Torc and seemed to think things over. "The time in Karjin is short. I'm not sure how long it will take him to work the key. If there is a way to grant him access to a blacksmith's forge that is equipped as it needs to be then it would be to your benefit to get him started immediately. But I haven't seen one around. Not recently and certainly not out at sea." Cheva said softly, looking thoughtfully at Glav with a slight smile. Torc could read it as wistful or perhaps even teasing as she seemed to challenge him to remedy the situation.

"I have a few favors to cash in. I always do. We could get him to Karjin early... just him though. The Keeper of Secrets could move him. But just her... I doubt she'd help. But her Irst would. They owe me and I know some information they want. For a price, they could move him ahead, just for a few nights, to see if he can complete his task." Glav turned to look at Torc speculatively. "Is that something you could be ready to do sooner than later? It might mean you'd be off the ship for a few days. But then they can bring you back when your job is complete. Keval would do it. I'm certain." Glav said again, looking at Torc and letting him at last be the one that decided.

Cheva spoke then, turning to touch Torc lightly on the shoulder. "I've marked him. I have no wish for her to take notice and do the same. We do not... always see eye to eye... the two of us. If she takes him, she'll want him watched and want him to owe her. She'll want his secrets. Keval wants what she wants. It is the nature of their relationship." Cheva said softly.

"Ultimately, its up to you, Torc. But it is a risk."
Cheva said softly. Glav nodded, agreeing wholeheartedly. "You don't have to do any of this, Torc. It is not really your fight. Your life has no stake or bearing on my life. And in truth this is what this journey is about. You can walk away and not take any risks, and no one would blame you for it. This war touches everything, but it doesn't have too... not if a person is careful." He added.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Torc Ironwood on October 24th, 2010, 4:26 am

Torc looked onto Cheva hoping to never lose the vision of her. Her long dark hair only lit the fire of desire in him. He felt his hands yearn to touch her flesh, to caress her skin, his fingertips held the anticipation of softly trailing down her hills and valleys. As Glav and Cheva asked him to stay, his jaw unclenched from the dread of leaving her. As he looked onto Cheva, he yearned to be a better man; he craved to lift the world upon his shoulders if it meant that she would never shed a tear. He had acted the same way around Mola, men had called him a fool, and he never cared. Cheva and Mola were sirens, calling his soul to greater heights then it ever aspired to.

As Torc looked towards Glav, he saw an older and younger brother in the man. Glav wanted to protect Torc, and yet he needed him to protect him. He was a good man but caught up in the waves of destiny. Torc felt like he needed to say something to his brother, to this man that domain of peace craved for. “Glav, life is not fair. Sometimes dreams do not come true, sometimes your not the hero in the story of your life, and sometimes people die before they are suppose to. Life is not fair.” Torc gave Glav an intense look, and slowly he squeezed his shoulder once again.

“But fair has nothing to do with who you are inside, what you dream about, who you love and what you stand for! Life can not touch that Glav! War can not touch that! Darkness can not touch that!” Torc began to understand Glav’s pain, his dilemma. “We stand for the same things Glav. We stand for love, for happiness, and family. Peace allows those things to spread, it allows for others to stand for them. No, my life doesn’t touch yours, but our souls stand together, and as you stand to do battle… win or lose I stand with you, because life can’t touch what we stand for.”

Torc looked at Glav, he didn’t know any other way to reach him. The decision he had given Torc was unfair, choose to be selfish or choose to help bring peace. Yet, Torc understood Glav, he had seen Sylir's fall, and he stood with the dead God, as well as, his son. Torc wanted Glav to understand that he wasn’t alone, that one man stood with him knowing that the choices put before him were unfair. “I will leave tonight Glav, but tell Ulric something for me… Tell him.” Torc searched within his own soul for the words.

“Tell him what I said about life Glav, and make him understand that his past cannot touch what he stands for. That only he can allow it to make him who he is and who he will become. Tell him that I hope one day, he stands with his brothers, for family isn’t just blood it’s those that we let into our hearts and souls.” It was one of the few things that Cheva had taught him tonight, but perhaps it was one of the greatest.

Torc turned to Cheva and for some reason took her hand. Slowly he lifted it above his heart, and placed it on his chest so that she could feel his heartbeat, the rhythm of his soul. The Key wrapped in his leather coin purse touched both their hands as he held them over his heart. Torc felt the rhythm of his heart beat echo in both Cheva and the key. They were a part of him, for he had allowed both to touch the very core of his being. They were there, where no darkness could find them. Where life, war, and fear could hammer his body but not touch this place. He held them to his breast, because they pumped music into his soul just as his heart pumped blood through his body.

When Torc was working the forge the world felt right, balanced, and Torc understood where he stood in it all. Now as he had Cheva’s hand he felt the same thing, only his senses weren’t feeling the world, they were turned inward allowing the world to click with him. It had been because of her love and trust, that he felt that he could mold a few of the worlds pieces to him. When he worked the forge it had been the exact opposite, he had become just another gear in the world. His movement matched the worlds, in his soul he knew it was time to feel both when he worked the forge. Not just be another gear, but to drive the world onto a new turn, and within his twin souls the idea was beginning to settle. He would forge the part of him, which Cheva had given, into something that accepted all things, and yet brought forth new energy from itself. “You will always be in here; she can only touch my mind.”

Torc simply stood looking past Cheva’s eyes at the woman behind them, while he waited for Keval.
Last edited by Torc Ironwood on December 19th, 2010, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torc Ironwood
Player

Words: 242252
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2010, 1:58 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gossamer on October 31st, 2010, 4:33 pm

Glav stood proudly, listening to Torc and understanding that he hadn't been wrong in his choice of companions. Every single person on the ship was here for a reason and had a purpose. Leo was the one that could open the door. Ulric was the lost legacy Glav needed to aid his transformation. Torc was the craftsman that would forge the key Leo needed to use. Sharn was recording it all for prosperity. It was the perfect team. Perfect, that is, unless something or someone stopped them. Unfortunately, there were a lot of people out there trying to do just that.

Cheva smiled at Torc as he took her hand and raised it to his heart, the all key fisted inside of it. "Torc, this is why you wear my mark. You were born to do this, born to be the man you find yourself being right now. Don't forget that. Don't loose that. " And then she stepped away, withdrawing her touch and pulling forth something that looked like a piece of shadow itself. She gently placed it on the deck of the ship a few feet away, and the small coin shaped disk flared slightly for a moment - though flared with even more darkness - and cast a deep black shadow over everything for a full ten heartbeats. When the flare of darkness died down, a man stood over the object, looking slightly annoyed.

He spotted Cheva when the light encroached again, and bowed slightly. "My Lady. I see you've called in my token. What can I do for you?" He asked. The man was lithe with a shock of blond hair and piercing green eyes. He wasn't handsome but by no means could someone call him ugly. The center of his forehead had a black new moon that seemed to shimmer with a devoid of light in an eerie fashion.

Cheva spoke, though slowly, and looked thoughtfully at the man, Keval. "Keval North, I need to call in a favor I have been holding from you for a long time. You are the only one on the whole of Mizahar that can currently do this for us. I need you to safely transport this blacksmith, Torc Ironwood to Karjin, help him locate a forge, and then return him after he's worked the item he needs to work. It needs to be done quickly and with discretion - delivering him and his item to Karjin safely and then returning them in the same condition all within a two day period. Do you understand?" Cheva asked carefully.

Keval seemed to think things over. He looked thoughtfully at Torc and then back to Cheva, then slowly nodded. "Does this effect my Lady in any fashion - especially in a way that would harm her?" He asked carefully, cautious in his own regard as well. Cheva shook her head. "We do not believe so or do we have such intentions." Keval nodded. "Does this repay my mark free and clear?" Cheva again nodded. He smiled then, looked at Torc once more, and tilted his head slightly.

"Ready to go big guy?"
It was true that Torc towered over Keval, though the man himself seemed to have a presence all his own. "If you need things, go gather them. We're leaving.. immediately." He said firmly, having made up his mind. He reached down, picked up the mark he was standing over - the black colorless disk - and pocketed it with a grin. "I'll have him back in two days so long as he keeps out of trouble." If and when Torc was ready, Keval took his hand and simply stepped with him into the nearest shadow. To the people on the ship, it would appear he simply disappeared.

Torc, on the other hand, stepped out of a shadow on the other side and into a long carefully cobbled pathway that comprised a street in Karjin.

Karjin - The City of Crafters. Keval released Torc's hand, looked thoughtfully at him, and seemed to consider. "I think I know just the place." He said, and then set off northward down the street without waiting for Torc's reaction.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Torc Ironwood on October 31st, 2010, 8:38 pm

The moment right before Cheva pulled away, Torc felt the deep desire to pull the Goddess towards him and kiss her with passion. He wanted his hands to caress her back and slowly lower them feeling her curves. He wanted for the briefest of moments to hold the tiny frame she wore against his body, as he felt her soft warm lips upon his. Yet, he knew that it wasn’t his place, her heart belonged to all and to ask for more of it was selfish. She loved Glav, Ulric, Sham, Leo, and all the men and women on this ship. She would always return his love, yet he wanted her completely. Torc understood his wants and desires often didn’t fit in the real world. He couldn’t ask Cheva to be his, or if he did he knew that she would love others. It was hard struggle for him; he loved Cheva with his heart and mind. Her being made his soul ache to be better, yet he knew she loved him for himself. The way she stood, the way she spoke, Torc didn’t have to change one hair on his head and she would still love him. However, deep inside of Torc love made him want to become something so much more. It wanted him to lead men and women, it wanted him to create great things, and it wanted him to protect the world or die trying. However, he could not act on such impulse.

Torc knew that Cheva wouldn’t say no if he asked for a night or a kiss. Yet love wasn’t about stealing from your partner, and it wasn’t about giving up everything. Torc loved Cheva, and she loved all of mankind, he couldn’t ask for her heart because it belonged to everyone. So he didn’t, and as she stepped away, he knew that she loved him and that was enough. Torc would never ask her for more than any other man or woman, because her love was enough for all. He knew that he would love other women, and that was ok because it would never change the love he had for her.

As darkness engulfed them, Torc’s cloudily mind, filled with the fog of love, receded a little and doubt and fear came back to him. He felt different, like the world had come back to its proper place. Torc took a deep breath, and realized just how much love had clouded his mind. He wasn’t sorry about the feeling, nor was he upset. The Goddess had appeared to him and he had loved her… in fact he still did, but it was like drowning in love. Torc had instantly become a slave to Cheva, wishing to do everything without thought or fear. It was frightening in a way; Mola had caused the same wool headedness. Granted at least Cheva returned his love, but Torc felt like he had lifted up to the heavens and was placed back on the ground.

It was confusing at first, while Torc searched his emotions. He wasn’t upset or angry with Cheva, the bond and sharing of being was incredible. He wanted her, and the ache was an almost physical pain. He also wanted to be something so much more around her. What that meant was beyond Torc. He understood that he felt like a child held back by the world, but what was he going to become when love guided him? Torc realized that he was scared, for so long he had relied on thinking and crafting, yet when he saw Cheva, his mind such down. It was almost like he moved and acted out of goodness and right, which was an overpowering feeling. Torc realized that it was the lost of thought that scared him, he almost felt like a completely different man.

Just as Torc was organizing his thoughts, the darkness receded and he saw the long hair of Cheva. Before another thought could enter his mind, Torc was once again deeply in love. Torc changed his stance and his bearing, it was like the rough unfiled corners of Torc aligned and created a different man. Torc actually felt his soul shine through his face. Power coursed through his body wanting to work, to love, to honor those about him. As he looked at Keval and the dark moon mark on his face, Torc felt no anger or jealously as the man spoke. Torc understood Keval’s questions about service, but for a moment he wanted to place his hand into the man’s and say that though secrets separate us they do no harm. As Keval asked Torc if he was ready to go, Torc looked at Cheva. He wanted to stay with her, but knew that what he was about to do was important to all of them. “In case the forge has some of more complex tools, I will require my reference books.” Torc knew that admitting his lack of knowledge to Cheva hadn’t lessened her opinion of him. So Torc turned and headed to his sailor’s chest.

As Torc was coming back up to the deck, he gripped the advance blacksmithing/metalsmithing book tight. Cheva’s mind numbing aura had worn off, and self doubt had come back to him. Torc could have curse himself. He didn’t have any idea what he was forging; at what temperature would the metal melt or when it would heat up enough to hammer. Torc realized that he had almost no planning done, and now he once again he wondered if he had it in him to complete such a task. Torc saw Cheva and his soul once again took over, his mind was eased from worry and self doubt. His body relaxed the grip on the book, and for a bright moment his mind filled in some of the hazy details. Torc could experiment with the temperatures while working with beeswax, it was clear to Torc that anything that required detail was going to be a casting, not an actual forged item. Torc could setup up the sand casting frame or maybe even the clay. Torc’s thought about using clay for the casting and realized that it wouldn’t have enough time to dry in the kiln before he needed to cast it. No, a sand casting made sense, and to quickly polish it, acid could be used to create smooth lines and polished surfaces. Torc would just have to trust that they would find a forge with all the necessary equipment.

Torc felt strange as he stepped into the shadow on a ship and stepped out into Karjin. It was like a closing his eyes and opening them to find the whole world changing. Torc a moment to breathe in the city, then Keval spoke and rushed off, Torc shook his head and started heading along with Keval. Torc began to find his voice, “Keval, how do you know what I am looking for? I mean I have just realized that I will probably need a blast furnace or decent forge, with a sand casting setup and an acid bath, and that’s just what I can think of off the top of my head. I probably going to need a water stand to figure out how much volume the object will be in the end, along with wax carving tools.” Torc stopped for a moment and took a deep breath, it seemed to steady his mind, didn’t Cheva say that he would have to find the forge?
Torc Ironwood
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on November 1st, 2010, 6:55 pm

Keval grinned. It looked more roguish than friendly as he answered Torc's question with a sigh that seemed to say 'busted'. "Well, Cheva has high expectations for someone like me, but I owed her, you know? She dug a good friend of mine out of a hole she was in, so I can't say no. Peth it, I don't even worship her. Love is not something people like me look for or welcome. Akajia at least knows all about me and what to expect. You'd think someone's Champion would be more resourceful, but heck if I know about forges. But I do know this girl... and she's fine, if you know what I mean. Anava is her name. She's got herself a forge with the works. And she owes me. It's a long story, but she won't ask questions as long as you won't tear her place up, right?" He said, then started walking.

Karjin was... unusual. It wasn't a typical stone city by the sea, that much was for certain. Everything was touched by an artisans hand. The themes were all Kihala and Caiyha related as well. Stone vines climbed stone walls, etched by chisels wielded with loving hands. Life was celebrated everywhere, displayed in true craftsmanship form. The city was ran by guilds, and as they walked down the street having stepped out from a convenient shadow - almost everyone was wearing a guild insignia. Potters, weavers, carpenters, stone mansions, even plumbers had a guild. There were bakers, chefs, metalworkers and jewelers. The list went on... each guild badge was color coded, barred by rank, and hosted an image that depicted their guild.

The more Torc and Keval walked, the more Torc noticed there was nothing simple in Karjin. Everything, if anything, was overworked, overdecorated, and elaborate. It was as if the neighbors were competing heavily with each other to have the most beautiful, the most decorative, the most expensive. In a way, Karjin was a celebration of excesses. And it wasn't long before Keval turned down a street and walked into a deadend that ended in an metalworking facility that had both indoor and outdoor forges and kilns. "Anava, my darling, are you home?" Keval said as he lead Torc into the courtyard and winked at Torc. "She's the Smithing Gildmaster's daughter. Single. A bundle of energy. She loves her dogs more than she loves people, so don't hit on her. They're large monsters. Huge." And indeed a pair of wardogs were there as soon as his voice sang out to greet them.

And they weren't that friendly. No, not at all. Growling low, they didn't relax until a young dark haired woman appeared. She had flowing straight light brown hair that had already escaped her pony tail, and was outfitted like a blacksmith. Raising her eyebrows, she smiled at Keval and glanced at Torc.

"Well... what do I owe the courtesy of this visit, Kev?"
Anava said, looking first at Keval then at Torc. Keval gestured at Torc. "Show time... tell the lady what you need. And maybe I'll be able to cash in that favor, Anava, no?" He said with a roguish grin.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Torc Ironwood on November 2nd, 2010, 7:27 pm

Torc kept his mouth shut, Keval was one of those men that thought women where close to a piece of meat to be chewed and spat out. Though he had many encounters with the fairer sex, he never had treated them like some pretty thing. Torc knew the type of men who described love like an inconvenience; they often allowed the bonds of friendship and family to become dust. Torc took a moment to think if his father had been one of those men, that he had just used his mother for his pleasure and left her with an unwanted child. For a moment Torc was grateful for never fathering a child, but worried that he would never do so. The world seemed cruel at times, and sometimes with love it was crueler than normal. Love could be a punishment, just as much as reward, and to Torc he only wanted to share it, never use it against another. Torc simply nodded as Keval asked his question. Torc was no bull to be let loose in a glassworks; he was a blacksmith, a man that molded metal for others. Though it was dirty work, he kept himself clean and worked hard at his craft, this smith had no need that Torc would abuse their tools or shop.

As Torc walked down the street, a part of him wished it was day time, for the art and craftsmanship would have been brilliant in the light. The few stone vines that Torc could see made him think of his iron oak leaf. He felt so foolish thinking that it had been a master piece. At the time Torc had been proud of what he had done, now compared with the delicate stone vines he felt foolish of his abilities. Still a part of him knew that accomplishments of others didn’t have to outshine your own. Priestess Lara had always told him that just because others made cities or great designs, they all require a thousand smaller things to occur. She had been right in a lot of ways; blacksmiths were needed to make the chisels and drills for the stonemasons. As he walked by them, he felt his soul ache to create something of beauty, here in Karjin were men and women who created and brought forth beauty from their souls. The quiet inspiration of the city was understated, and though Torc knew there were those with egos trying to craft something better then the next smith, there were those that crafted for themselves.

Torc looked about the shop and was surprised at the good craftsmanship of the tools and the two forges. As the dogs came out, Torc resisted the urge to try and reach out to them. Torc was a dog lover himself and knew that the dogs were waiting to sense fear or an act that they considered hostile. Torc released his breath and focused on trying to think of a list of things he would need. Dismissing the dogs showed them he wasn’t afraid of their barking and growling. The loose stance was there so that they didn’t think he was ready to pounce. By him keeping his feet still, Torc hoped he had given them the feeling of herding him. They would bark and growl, but hopefully the dogs would accept him. He took out a small piece of bread that he had been saving. The crust was hard to keep sourdough from getting moldy in the ocean air. He broke it open with his bare hands and waited for dogs to stop growling. As Anava came out, he looked at the two dogs throwing them a piece of bread each.

Torc knew that the dogs wanted the bread and were trained not to jump at it, but it started the first small step in friendship between him, the dogs, and their master. Torc looked at Anava’s hair and smiled, happy that Keval was wrong… Anava didn’t consider herself pretty, she considered herself a smith. It relaxed Torc thinking that Keval had taken him to someone who would at least know what was needed. “You have some good animals there. The names Torc Blackfoot and I was hoping to use your forge and furnace for a couple of days. I will be needing the use of a sand casting frame, a fine grain sand, powerful acid for polishing, acid tub, water volume tester, at least a coal fed blast furnace, high quality beeswax or parawax, if possible I will need the low melting reinforcement philtering potion added to the wax, carving tools, water settlement for the sand, and…” Torc looked up in his book on metalsmithing, “Sprue, vent, and runner indents for the wax. I understand that is a lot to ask for, but if you don’t have it, would you know where I can get those things? I only need about…” Torc held up his hands for something the size of a cubic foot. Torc hadn’t been asking for anything real crazy, the fine grain sand and philter potion might have been much, but it never hurt to ask. Besides, he might as well get the full cash value from Cheva’s favor.
Torc Ironwood
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on December 17th, 2010, 10:20 pm

The smile disappeared off the girls face instantly at the sight of the bread crusts and Torc's friendly yet intimidated posture. "Don't feed my dogs. No one feeds them but I." The girl, Anava, said firmly. Her eyebrows furrowed in displeasure as she glanced at Keval again, as if laying some sort of blame at his feet. Keval smirked. "I told you she likes her dogs more than people." He commented to Torc before the young half-Isur had a chance to explain himself. Anava made a gesture and the dogs split apart, trailed behind Torc, and sat down on their haunches on either side of the two men. One dog seemed to have assigned himself to Keval while the other took Torc. Anava remained passive, listening.

She folded her arms, glanced over at Keval, and then turned the full fury of her gaze on Torc. Her entire stance took on a hostile nature as he read off his list of needs, making demands of her as if she would concede immediately. When Torc was done, she paused imperceptive and then turned on Keval. A gloved finger extended from her closed down body frame to poke him in the solar plexus.

"Oh no... just no Keval. You know I owe you. I do. But I'm going to repay the debt my way by my own hands. I'm not going to let some stranger into my forge using my equipment just to satisfy you. How do you know this guy anyhow? Where's the please? Where's the humility? He marched in here like one of those Knights from across the Suvan and made some powerful demands. Really Keval? You really thought I'd let someone else use my forge?" She shook her head, mad now, completely blown away by the audacity of her visitors. Anava made a soft gesture and the dog on Keval started growing more deeply, and stood up, its hackles fluffed along its back. It looked like it needed an excuse .. to have itself a little snack.

Anava just simply smiled a sweet predatory completely pissed off smile.

But she wasn't unreasonable, not really, so she gave the stranger an explanation, one she thought he'd understand. "I built this place from the ground up." Okay, only partially true. Her father had ordered a great deal of it built FOR her. But that was beside the point. "I work the forge. No one else does. I have several assistance to haul and fetch and carry and clean, but no one works any of the gear in here but me. Keval is mistaken if he told you something different. He knows if he needs something, all he has to do is come too me. I know how to do what it takes to get things done with metal. He doesn't. Clueless and just about as worthless too. It's a good thing is goddess cares about him because truthfully I don't think anyone else would... dense! He's so dense." She explained.

"And where are your manners, Mr. Torc? Where is your please and may I and could I and I was hoping..."
She said, "I'll tell you where. No where. That's where. Well you know what? No thanks. Not at all. Don't mention it. Now..."

She tok a deep breath and smiled. "Please leave...." The little spitfire said, glaring first at Keval and then gestured to her dogs. The one on Torc rose up and started growling, while the other escalated its aggression. They both advanced as a team, more than willing to escort the gentleman back down the narrow alley or eat them for a light midday snack.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Torc Ironwood on December 19th, 2010, 8:35 pm

As Anava began to speak Torc jaw tighten his hands began to clench into a fist while he waited till she gave her command to leave. Torc felt the book slap shut, as his eye focused on Anava. The growling dog was in his field of vision and yet he didn’t move. This… This Alpha Bitch! Where’s your please? Where’s your humility? I don’t know, perhaps the same place where yours is. Torc took deep breaths slowly he worked out the tension in his jaw. Remember Sylir, what would he do? Torc allowed the tide of anger to part around the problem. He allowed his soul to calm as he empty his mind of all the insults and anger she had brought out in him. Though this place was a forge, it wasn’t necessary the one forge that he needed. In fact, he wasn’t entirely sure that Anava with her lack of patience should be allowed near the piece.

The part of him that was going to be forged, knew that everything was a lock, and to open everything you needed patience, sensitivity, and perseverance. Torc had always believed that a smith imparted a part of themselves into what they created, and though Torc could see she was passionate and skillful, she also lack the patience for people, and they were the most complex lock of it all. So Torc took a deep breath. “Your right Anava, I assumed that when Keval said you owed him a flavor that I had permission to speak in terms of what I needed. I am sorry for that assumption and any poor feelings that I created. Could you recommend an inn, please? I am afraid that I will have to trade favors with the local master smith here to forge Cheva’s item.” Torc felt depressed, the cost of the materials needed was great and the forge rental would be tough as well. Yet Torc understood, Anava wanted to be left alone.

Torc finally looked at the growling dog and for a moment felt sorry for it. He was sure that the dog was loved, but was it free? Anava had to have broken its spirit to get it so loyal, and though there was nothing wrong with training, where was the time for play and independence?
Torc Ironwood
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on June 22nd, 2011, 5:57 pm

The wardog that Torc was feeling sorry for him met his eye, licked its lip, and laughed in a very canine manner. Its form blended, shifted, and became a young man only a little older than Anava and stood up; stark naked. He stretched, laughed, and glanced at Anava. The other dog moved, restlessly, as if he too was about to stand up and reveal himself as a Kelvic. He did not though, even as the kelvic wardog exchanged glances with the canine and then with Keval.

"I hardly think, Anava, that Keval would throw away favors on a whim. This has to be important. Before you go blowing your top and making Kaki and I eat another potential customer, why don't you ASK them why they are here. If they don't tell you and this man keeps making you angry, I'll eat him for you, even though he smells of Cheva as much as Keval smells of Akajia." The kelvic said, still standing oddly protectively next to the woman, even though he was a man now and not a dog. His eyes, however, never left Torc's form. Even as a human he was a wardog and was guarding his mistress against her visitors. And by his protectiveness of her, it was clear their bond was strong and there was no doubt she was indeed probably the only one that ever fed him.

Anava nodded to the kelvic and glanced at Torc once more. "Yes, I can recommend an Inn. That's no problem. But again, rather than run down a list of your needs, tell me why you need what you need and then ask for my help. You are a big man, part Isur unless I miss my guess, but you have no look of a blacksmith about you. I've been around them all my lives. You're something else. And until I know the why of it, I'm definitely not opening my doors. And no telling me you cannot tell me. If you forge something here, I'll know what it is. I can't help it. I'll know. Just touching the tools you've used, handling the bellows you've handled. I'll know things I don't need to know, which is why only I use my equipment. It's not because I'm a snob. Its because Eyris has me branded up like a cow." She said, pulling up the hem of her sleeveless tunic and revealing an elaborate mark made of three interlocking strangely twisted strips etched into her skin.

"Now start talking before either of the kelvics get bored."
She added.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Torc Ironwood on June 26th, 2011, 5:53 am

Torc stared as the wardog transformed into a human form. For a moment he felt the shock and disappointment that the dog wasn’t a dog. He had always heard that Kelvic’s were loyal creatures beyond anything that made sense. Now he understood, and in a way he was jealous of Anava’s bond and of her marks. She thought it as a brand, like she was a piece of property and yet Torc thought of Cheva’s grace and beauty. He could understand that the divine was as much as a gift as it was a curse. Being marked was a double edge sword, and which blade cut first was only a matter of time.

Torc placed his books and equipment on the ground, he collected his thoughts remembering the promise he made to Cheva. “Anava, I can’t tell you the name of what I wish to create, because I promised that I would never even think of it. Instead let me tell you what I hope to impart on it.” Slowly Torc gather his thoughts and he lightly touched the metal around his neck as he thought about the very part of his soul that he saw possibilities. Closing his eyes, he began telling them what he felt. “Anava, deep inside of us it the ability to choose different possibilities. Lhex would have you believe that every moment, every breath we take is predestined. The truth is we have free will, we have the right to choose the path that takes us to those fated moments. Right before we choose, we have the opportunity of infinite choices. We can choose to walk down any path of our making, and just because that path leads us to the same city doesn’t mean we walk through the same gate.”

“Strangely, all the power the Gods have it comes from one pathway, a domain that is attributed to them. They lose those choices, those infinite possibilities as they become Gods and Goddesses. We… we mortals have the ability to choose and open pathways that they could not because of their limitations. Could Eyris be anything other than knowledgeable or wise? Could she choose a choice at random, without thought to the choice or its consequences? When they all agree they can create a structure so powerful that stretches the width of their domains, what is one mortal to do?” Torc took a breath, it was the closest to the truth that he had gotten too, he opened his eyes and stared at Avana while feeling that very part of him. “We unlock the world to the Gods and Goddesses. We have the power to open possibilities unseen and unthoughtof by them. I wish to impart that into a lump of metal about my throat, for I feel the world swirling about us. I feel the domains of the Gods and Goddesses layering upon us creating the woven fabric which is everything. As you touch something the thread of knowledge, past and understanding comes to your mind. Keval as you step across the thread of shadows you see the woven fabric of existence once more, and yet as we are branded our presence mingles with the domain. Those domains pull us tighter to possibilities not of our choosing. How many people have you turned down work from because of your mark Avana? How many times have you used the shadows Keval, instead of standing in the light?”

Torc pulled the image of Sylir in his mind as he stood up and looked at Avana. The thread of peace and man was still in reality, just because its god was dead didn’t mean that it wasn’t there. That thread, that domain, that part of reality was within Torc and he was a man, he was peace. His jaw loosen, his stance showed no anger but pride in his accomplishments. “I seek to create something that opens all possibilities, which breaks the bonds of the Gods and Goddesses. They believe that we have forgotten about that part inside of us, but it is always there and we need to show them we still know. Can you help me create this item, Avana?” Torc kneeled to Avana, he felt like it was the most humble bow, asking for forgiveness and genuine help. Asking for the chance to do something beyond simple yes or no, asking for all possibilities within him and her. In that moment he felt like a man, a man asking for help from the world. There was no shame in asking for help, no shame in asking for all the worlds possibilities to find a way for him to succeed. For a moment, Torc knew that he was woven from all the domains of the God and Goddesses, and yet he was also the creation of the holes in reality. His free will was where the threads didn’t quite mesh, and he could choose this own path. Torc forgot about Keval and Avana as he remembered the humble figure of Sylir, the face in the wind oak. He whispered, “Perhaps I have failed you my friend, but I choose your thread, for peace starts with a humble man.”
Torc Ironwood
Player

Character sheet

Previous