A Glimmer Of The Future [Abashai/Tarot]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

A Glimmer Of The Future [Abashai/Tarot]

Postby Nya Winters on January 30th, 2010, 12:04 pm

Image Timestamp: 75th of Winter, 509 AV
Time: Early Morning
Purpose: Finding Agethia then Kiphos

Abashai woke her early, which was just fine with Nya who rolled over and stretched awake. Her bondmate was a whole lot less lazy than the forest cat could be when she was in the heart of winter and well fed. The bed was just too warm and the mattress straw just too fresh. Truthfully, Syliras had made the forest cat slightly soft. It had eased her suspicions of people, taught her to trust them more, and gave her a real desire to socialize. It was something she'd never grown up feeling. Sure, she'd longed for a bondmate - for a close relationship like her mother and father had - but not for the perpetual affection she tended to have for people. That was still a bit strange to her. As she rolled out of bed, she glanced down at the soft cotton sheets and smiled. There was no sign of black hair. Nya spent more and more time in her human form now, especially sleeping through the night in it. That was also a little strange for her, though she knew the pair would most likely head for the woods soon to do some hunting and allow her to stretch her legs more than she ever could in town.

But for today, they had a new mission. They were going to go ask Matilda, the Konti in charge of Traveler's Row if she knew anything about Agethia or Kiphos. Matilda was well connected. If she didn't know the woman personally, odds are she'd know where to go to find the answers they sought.

And so as Nya rolled over and stretched, she watched her bondmate - her mate - move quietly about the room. Abashai had rituals he pursued. There were morning stretches, prayers, sometimes tea, and a check of his arsenal. He was fastidious about maintaining his weapons and making sure they were in order. And Nya rarely got tired of watching him go about his morning routine for it gave her a chance to wake up slowly, yawn multiple times, and sometimes lure him back to bed. Mornings were her tired time, for sometimes she was up all night prowling as was her nature, but more often than naught it was simply the season. When spring rolled around she'd be far more active which would peak in the summer and start slowing again after the solstice when the days grew shorter. In the warm season, she'd survive on quick naps snatched at convenient times throughout the day, rather than feel the need to sleep all day and stir only when she was hungry.

And truthfully she wasn't hungry. Last night, briefly, she'd terrorized the local nocturnal population had filled up on juicy Syilran rats, which were roughly the size of domestic cats. Abashai had feasted on strangely wrapped flat bread filled with a pungent cheese, vegetables, and fried lamb meat. There were benshira vendors in the market that often satisfied his needs for food from home. And evidently the meal was one he liked.

Nya licked her lips and frowned as her tongue ran over her sharp teeth next. Tooth powder. She'd have to climb out of bed for that. The forest cat grumbled, got up, and wandered over to their wash stand to fish around for the small jar of mint powder. Abashai tolerated a great deal about Nya's nocturnal habits, but he didn't appreciate morning-after-rat breath. And she couldn't remember if she'd brushed before she went to bed. It had been late.

She spared him another glance. Cheerful. She decided, watching him carefully stash weapons about his person and openly strap on his kopesh. Nya was still trying to get used to this new Shai. He laughed a great deal, openly showed her affection, and touched her a great deal. She loved it, of course, but it still struck her strange at times. It was almost as if... Shai had been sleeping a long time and had only just begun to wake up.

Nya yawned again. But this time her teeth flashed white and clean. She rinsed off her finger which she'd used to dip into the powder and scrub her teeth with, and then stretched again. Any minute now, she'd be waking up.

The forest cat took a long drink of water from the pitcher (when Abashai wasn't looking - forgoing using the cup - what was the point?) and then tucked her legs up under her, still perched on the bench before the water basin.

"So... I know we talked about it already. But we need to find the six items, the artifacts of Areesa Tallshade, an original member of the Seven Robes. We need to find them before the modern Seven Robes does. To do that, we need to find the Powercube. To find the power cube we need to talk to Kiphos.. and to find him we might need Agethia's help."
She was definitely waking up now.

"Shai, are you sure your ready for this? I... feel like once we step out of this door this morning, there's no turning back."
She said softly, sincerely. Nya would have been worried, maybe even panicked except Shai's scent filled the room. It had an incredibly calming effect on her. "I've told you about Vulture Man... he will kill us if he can. Or worse. Probably worse, if he can find us. I really want to do this... but not without you. I don't think I can without you." She said, rising, and glancing around the room. "I can't help but think we will never quite be here again. Not right here... maybe not for a long time." She smiled and he could feel through her bond how excited that made her feel. It finished waking her up completely. Nya was restless. She was restless with Syliras, with the people, and ignoring the burden she felt acutely on her shoulders - finding the relics.

Nya wrapped her hands around Shai's waist, nuzzled his back between his shoulder blades, not minding the fabric barring her from his bare skin. Then, as if the wait had almost been to much for her, she looked at the door abruptly, and released him.

"Shall we go down to Matilda's room and knock? She's normally up by now. And see if she knows this Agethia or Kiphos?"
Nya asked, nervous suddenly, even though Matlida knew who they were and Nya considered the old Konti woman something of a friend.

Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Re: A Glimmer Of The Future [Abashai/Tarot]

Postby Abashai on January 31st, 2010, 8:48 pm

Abashai tightened the wide leather belt around his waist as he crossed the few paces to their bed. Sitting next to his sleeping mate, he watched Nya for a moment, a habit he had picked up of late. He loved to watch her sleep. There was a quiet serenity in her face, and it gave him time to appreciate her features. When Nya was awake, her green eyes seem to draw all his attention. A crimson stain tinged her lips, most likely from her midnight prey. Though he could sit and study her for a whole bell, there was no time. He leaned down to kiss her warm cheek then whispered in her ear. "Ny, time to get up, today is the day." Sitting up, he gave her a playful nudge and walked over to the makeshift weapon rack against the wall.

Abashai made his preparations with particular purpose this morning. It marked a beginning. He had, in a sense, closed a door behind him as a wider gateway opened before him. The benshiran was beginning a new life. He had a family, a wife. It seemed awkward to refer to Nya as his wife, and not quite accurate. He preferred mate or bondmate, it seemed to fit them better. They were not just a domestic couple, they were bound by djed, divine will and love. They had been made one for a greater purpose. Their relationship had always defied definition, even more so now.

He flashed Nya a wide grin as she rolled out of bed. He picked up the sheathed boot dagger, running the finger over the designs stamped into the leather, placed there by Nya. He put the weapon into his right boot. Next he grabbed a larger dagger and shoved it through his belt on the right side. Finally, he hefted the khopesh sword from the rack, running his finger down the blade and rubbing the oily residue between his fingers. Satisfied that the weapon was ready, he thrust it through his belt on the left. There was no doubt that whatever path lay ahead of them, there would be danger. Nya made that clear. In truth, Abashai did not know how his weapons would fare against the powers they may encounter, but they were all he really knew. He glanced down at his palms to see Yahal's ever present gnosis marks. Carefully lying in an unmarked are of each palm was a freshly healed scar, given to him by Nya during his Res initiation for reimancy. No, he had a bit more in his aresnal than simple steel.

As Nya began to speak, Abashai turned. He could already feel her excitement mingle with his own. There was some anxiety as well. He listened carefully again to the plot of the drama they were about to enter. He noted every name again, in case any of them came up during their investigations. Then Nya became gravely serious as she spoke of the Vulture Man. He understood the gravity of their undertaking, that they would be taking great risks. He could sense the apprehension that fed her sobering words. It was not so much fear for herself, Nya could be fiercely brave, but he knew she feared for him. But greater still was her restless need to begin what had been laid upon her...upon them.

Abashai knew Nya was ready to go, chomping at the bit would best describe it. But he took her by the wrist and gently pulled her back to him. He did not pull her close, she was too anxious to be confined by an embrace. Instead he simply faced her and took her hands. "Nya, I am ready. More ready than I've been for anything. We are one in this, you and I. I am not afraid, though I have not seen the things you have." He looked around the small room. "You are right, once we walk out that door, things will be different, and we will not be our own." Then he smiled. "Except I will still be yours, and you mine." Abashai still surprised even himself in the openness of his expressions. But such gushing of his heart was only poured out to Nya.

He leaned in and kissed her, then nipped at her nose playfully. "Lets go see the Konti." Moving to the door, he opened it and held it for his mate.
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Nya Winters on February 8th, 2010, 9:59 pm

Nya appreciated how Abashai handled her. He seemed to know when she wanted the close comfort of a hug or when she was too restless for singular confinement. She met his gaze, listened to his words, and believed everything he said wholeheartedly. Shai made sense and brought sense to her all at the same time. So she returned his kiss enthusiastically, laughed gently at his teeth on her nose, and ran her jawline up his neatly trimmed beard for extra measure.

Anxiety gone, excitement tempered, she took his hand and slipped through the doorway with him. Nya had developed something of a relationship with Matilda in all the times Shai and herself had stayed at Traveler's Row. Oftentimes, when Abashai had 'lost' the forest cat, she could be found sprawled in front of the Konti's fire humoring the elderly woman with either a good ear or a tale of her own. Sometimes he'd even found her in her wilder form, which was surprising for Nya was normally very guarded about her kelvic nature with anyone but her bondmate - especially in the city.

So it was no surprise that with Abashai in hand, Nya paused at Matilda's doorway, knocked abruptly (another thing Shai had to teach her) and said her name loudly.. adding in a 'And Abashai is with me...' at the end of it. Then Nya seemed to tilt her head, nod, and let herself in. Matilda's room was very similar to their own, though far more lived in than the pairs. She had an extra room too, that served as a sitting room with a fire, where the Konti tended to sit and do embroidery, which is what she was doing now.

There was no preamble. Nya simply went to the woman and nuzzled her before settling down at the fire. Shai knew the konti, perhaps as well, so the forest cat let him to his own greeting. When they were both settled - comfortable in Matlida's presence - Nya began to speak.

She told Matlida everything in a quiet precise storyteller's voice, adding in every detail she could think of and how important it seemed that they find the powercube and the other artifacts. Nya knew people had died for this quest. She wasn't the first one asked to go on it, nor if she failed, would she be the last. Nya trusted Matilda, knew she was honorable, and wanted her honest opinion.

"Can you help us? Find Agethia so we can find this Kiphos? And do you have any ideas what he might want... or how we can talk him into helping us?"
She said softly. She wasn't afraid of hard questions. More than once had Nya helped Matilda with a problem, be it mousing out the empty rooms or chasing varmints from the attic. She often brought the woman fresh meat too... so she hoped that helped influence her into at least telling Nya what she might know about the Syliran woman.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Abashai on February 9th, 2010, 5:28 pm

Abashai followed Nya into Matilda's sitting room, the comforting warmth of the fire inviting as usual. After Nya nuzzled the Konti, Abashai leaned in to kiss the woman gently on the cheek. "Good morning dear lady," he spoke softly. He had grown rather fond of Matilda, who seemed to perceive the confusion Abashai often experienced as his relationship with his kelvic bondmate grew. She was wise and helped open his understanding, even without him having to ask. He wondered if she had already seen the two as mates long before they themselves even contemplated it. The kind Konti proved to be a fountain of knowledge about Syliras, and Abashai had come to rely on her information and advice He, in turn, would run errands for her, or bring in firewood. In fact, aside from Nya, he was more comfortable in Matilda's presence than anyone else in Syliras.

Having greeted Matilda, giving her a warm smile, Abashai removed the khopesh at his side and set it against the wall, then he settled in by the fire next to Nya. He sat quietly as she recited the tale again, providing a detailed history for Matilda. In the light of the fire, Nya's now skilled storytelling voice unraveling the story, it seemed more like retelling of folklore. But Abashai had come to understand it was anything but. This very tale will have another chapter, one that tells the story of Nya and Abashai. Whether it ends in victory or tragedy, they will have their chapter nonetheless.

As his mate brought the telling to a close, Abashai slipped his hand into hers. He squeezed it gently but firmly, giving her an encouraging glance, allowing his continued conviction to bolster her through their bond. Then he turned his eyes to the wizened Konti who still possessed the beauty of her race, even at her age. His blue-green eyes echoed the questions that Nya then posed, hopeful for direction in their next step.
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tarot on February 9th, 2010, 5:42 pm

Matilda was more than happy to see Nya and Abashai. Winter wasn't busy season at the Traveler's Row, as most travel took place in the warmer months of the year, and the aged Konti was left with an amount of spare time she was glad to spend in the company of friends. She offered tea to any who wanted a cup, and poured herself a cup as she listened to the Kelvic's tale. It was always hard to judge a Konti's age as their faces showed little evidence of the passing time, however they could still carry the weight of their experiences on their features. Matilda's life had been long and full, and her expression was serious and quite concerned as Nya told her tale.

"I suppose it just wasn't possible for the two of you to get normal jobs and spend a quiet life in the city, was it?" she smiled at the end. "This sounds like a dangerous quest, no, it is a dangerous quest, but I guess you already know. You have more enemies than you think, as well. Those people who enslaved the man of Zulrav, I have heard of them, and in rather alarming tones. Just the other month a man from Nyka came here looking for a room. He said he was looking for his son. Apparently the boy hadn't been himself recently. Some wizards had been giving free lessons in various magics. The man said his son had grown more distant, and even started committing some crimes with that magic. The monks in Nyka don't take kindly to that kind of things, and the kid had fled the city without looking back. The father quit his job to find him, and his search took him to Syliras for a while."

"What really impressed me," Matilda said, thoughtfully, "was that the boy changed from a model child who wanted to become a monk as soon as he came of age, into a vicious delinquent over a single season. I guess this is the power of temptation. It is in the face of temptation that our mettle is tested... our strengths, or our weaknesses, are exposed for what they are."

The Konti laid her teacup on its saucer with a graceful motion. "But this, this is of no help to you, is it, dear? I will admit, I don't know the two you are looking for, which probably means they have not been in Syliras recently for any notable length of time. I have this... tingly suspicion that once you find one you will also find the other, but..."

Matilda frowned, as if remembering something. A subtle smile made its way on her face, and she excused herself, standing up and reaching for her cane. She walked over to a nearby shelf and retrieved a small book with a simple, worn cover. She brought it to the table and handed it to Nya with the smile still on her face.

"Could this be the Kiphos you seek?" Matilda said softly. "The book was a gift I received some time ago, for sheltering a friend who was a little, shall we say misunderstood, for a while. This Kiphos is a descendant of the famous Vuld Shaik. I believe he made it his quest to recover his ancestor's manuscripts and make them known once more. If so, it might explain why he would hang around magical artifacts of old, don't you think?"
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Nya Winters on February 14th, 2010, 10:31 am

Nya glanced at her bondmate as his hand took hers and she offered him a hesitant smile before she turned her attention back to Matilda. Nya was busy drinking in scents, checking Matilda's place out and studying the elderly konti whom she considered a friend. The aging konti took in her words carefully and then seemed almost amused. Nya's hesitant smile turned into a full fledged grin at the woman's first comment. "I doubt such a life would be very fulfilling for Shai and I. We don't want to wait for time to catch us, it's much more fun to catch time instead." She said confidently. Both of the pair knew there were things they were meant to do. This, Nya felt strongly, was one of them.

Besides, the quest was a charge to her from Zulrav himself.

"Is there any other details about this group you can tell us?"
Nya asked carefully, slowly, knowing that with Matilda, time was not of the essence. "I have seen them in action and the man uses magic to control and lure them like some would use poison or alcohol to addict. It was unpleasant but not something that would go unnoticed for very long. Not with people disappearing that is." She said gently, then leaned back, listening to the story of the boy and how he changed.

It sounded like Vulture Man's group alright.

Nya glanced at Abashai, worried suddenly, though knowing Abashai was a man not a boy and not easily influenced. Vulture preyed on those weaker, just coming into their own, not on people who already knew who they were. The forest cat relaxed and turned her attention back to Matilda. Matilda's suspicions normally bore fruit. So Nya listened closely and when Matilda produced the book then carefully handed it to the kelvic. Nya's eyes scanned the cover for a few minutes as she looked thoughtful. Then she carefully opened the book and began to read the preface, knowing the book was not on the topic of their quest, but seeking some sort of guidance to the insight in the writer's voice as to where he might be.

Before she passed it on to Abashai, Nya inspected the front cover, the back cover, the spine, how it was bound, and looked for anything unusual about the book at all, including the scents associated with it.

She did note a few things about the book. It was printed at a place called Areesa Tallshade Memorial Keep. When she was done reading, she turned and handed the book to Abashai. "I think it might be the very same person we are looking for. I have heard though that he is a follower of Ionu, and there are so few people that can see through their illusions. It makes sense though, what he is doing, if that's why hes resurfaced and others are lokoing for these artifacts too." Nya said gently, then glanced back at the book.

"Where is the Areesa Tallsahde Memorial Keep?"
She said quietly, leaning back and looking thoughtful. The book itself was bothering her. Humans, especially those well educated, always wanted to know their purpose and where they came from. Was it so important? Nya knew they were preserving the future (if they could) by searching out the past - but she was no Zilvia Winters. Zilvia was a follower of Eyris and would know how to proceed. Nya's first instinct was to seek out the Keep and look for more answers there. For her mother had always been one to teach her that if you wanted to hide something, do it in plain sight. But Nya also knew the wisdom in seeking wisdom...

So after Abashai was done studying the book, but before she returned it to Matilda, Nya took it carefully in her hands and bowed over it. She glanced first at Matilda and then at Abashai before she looked down at the book once more. Nya moved then, shifting quietly to the floor to fold her legs under her and hold the book. "When I was little, my mother followed Eyris. She said books had knowledge that we couldn't understand until we held them. She had marks from Eyris but she said marks weren't always necessary. Sometimes a simple prayer could help too." And that's just what she did.

And so Nya held the book, bowed her head, and prayed quietly to Eyris to see if the Goddess would have any insight into the book, its writer, its transcriber or where the man was now.

Her words were silent, spoken softly in her head. She'd feel silly saying them out loud - especially if they were not answered.

"Eyris, great lady of wisdom and knowledge. My mother is one of your flock and I have grown up respecting your sphere of influence and all the joy it brought to our family as my mother carried on extensive searches to reclaim long lost knowledge. I ask you, in this time of need, for advice and guidance as you have so often given to her. Zulrav has tasked my bondmate and I in finding the artifacts Areesa Tallshade hid throughout Mizahar. But to find them we must find Kiphos and the powercube. If there is any help you can offer us, we would be grateful and extend our services whenever you have a need so long as it does not conflict with Zulrav or Yahal."
Nya prayed thoughtfully.

Then, regardless of what happened, she'd hand the book back to Matilda.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Abashai on February 16th, 2010, 1:05 pm

Gratefully accepting the tea from Matilda. Abashai resigned himself to the role of intent listener. Matilda's story of the son who had been lured by magic into a delinquent life, only reinforced his suspicions of the danger of those arts. Though he himself had been training in reimancy, he was diligent to keep it as his servant, and not the other way around. He was reminded again by Matilda's warning of the dangers they will face. Abashai understood there would be danger, Nya had made that clear. The thorn in his side was that he couldn't seem to grasp what the terrible danger actually was. He sometimes felt at a loss, wondering how he could defend himself from a peril he did not comprehend.

Abashai released Nya's hand as she received the book from the Konti. He glanced at the cover in her hands, his first question the same as his bondmate's, where was the Areesa Tallshade Memorial Keep? After her examination, Abashai took the book to inspect for himself. He leafed through the pages. Though he had become pretty fluent in speaking the Common language, his reading lagged somewhat behind, and he found some words he did not understand. He turned back to look at the inside of the front cover and first few pages for any preface or notes regarding the author. But he caught Nya's glance from the edge of his vision, sensed she had a desire to see the book again. He closed the book and handed it back to his mate.

And then Nya did something he had not seen her do before, at least not in this manner. Pray. Well, he knew she spoke to Zulrav, but she did that as one that walked in the woods speaking to a friend. This was more formal, as she approached a divinity with which she was not on such familiar terms. Abashai was still learning of the full pantheon of Mizahar, he did not commune with any other than Yahal, and, regarding Nya, with Zulrav. Eyris he knew only from Nya's stories of her mother.

Nevertheless, the benshiran too bowed his head. He confirmed Nya's request, his own muttered in his native language. Abashai confirmed as well that, if the goddess granted this boon, he would do her service, as long as it pleased his patron deity as well.
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tarot on February 20th, 2010, 10:32 pm

Matilda shook her head gently. "I'm sorry, Nya, but this is all I know. They probably do not have a significant foothold in Syliras just yet, or I would have heard rumors. They must still be establishing their presence in the rest of the region, and waiting for their numbers to grow before they risk it here. If so, this would speak volumes of their intelligence." The aged Konti spoke no more, giving her two guests an opportunity to peruse the book as they saw fit.

"Ah, the Memorial Keep," she murmured, "I have never been there, myself, but it's a small… you could call it a museum, I guess. Or perhaps a 'mausoleum' would be more appropriate. A place in which knowledge of old is kept and nurtured, just for the sake of it. It's mostly a club of eccentric old wizards who live in the Wildlands like hermits. They maintain a small printing press, too. If you ever stop by Undeniable Interests, you'll see that quite a few of the magic books there come from the Tallshade Memorial Keep. Good folks, if a little bizarre."

The book itself was yellowed and worn, though from old age rather than actual use. This was a book that might have seen more action as a paperweight than a reading companion. Matilda had probably never even finished reading it. It was just like another book, and the subject matter wasn't particularly exciting, either. Exactly what it said on the cover - twelve theories on the origin of mankind. The book was a collection of hypotheses supported by a variable amount of fact with a lot of speculation, all of it in Vuld Shaik's trademark style, often caustic but never taking itself too seriously.

The preface had been written by his descendant, Kiphos Shaik. Kiphos began by remembering the other works of his ancestor that he had recovered, and then went into explaining how he had found this one in Eyktol while investigating an unrelated matter.

… and the book had apparently been passed down through the generations as a piece of Benshiran dowry. Most likely few of the recipients ever realized the significance of the manuscript, and merely prized the fact that it was ancient, and hence worthy of respect much like an elder. They were not keen on sharing it with me, either, and for a moment I feared that I would have to get myself a Benshira identity and marry into the family to get ahold of the book. Thankfully it did not come to that, and staging a few minor miracles was all it took. The reader should not feel scandalized at the idea of acquiring knowledge by a form of good-natured deception - if the sin of one can bring about the enlightenment of many then we may frown upon the sin but at least smile upon the sinner.

'Twelve theories' was a lesser known book in Vuld's life. References to it from contemporary books are basically non-existent. It tries to face a problem long deemed unsolvable by some scholar - to answer the big question "where do we come from?" The gods have been asked this question many times. They either don't know, or won't answer. I do not think any of the current gods created mankind. Rather, they borrowed mankind as a template for their own creations, but I believe the intellectual effort of designing the original human was not their work. This book will not answer the question, either, but it collects the theories of some learned men that might otherwise have been lost to the mists of time. Do we come from a super-world that became sentient? Are we tiny Fragments of an ancient god? Some theories are certainly more believable than others, but Vuld was not an elitist snob and saw it fit to include some oft-ridiculized entries, such as the idea of evolution (from monkeys, no less!)

And so, as I entrust the manuscript to the friends at the Areesa Tallshade Memorial, I must take my leave once more. They are much too kind to me in every possible way. I have promised to repay my debt by recovering a piece of history about the great wizard whose laboratory they have turned into a memorial. If all goes well, Areesa Tallshade will step out of the realm of myth and back into that of history. Curiously, Vuld's chronicles, while going into extreme detail on many other wizards of his time, seem to overlook the White Enchantress altogether. Perhaps the time has tome to address that. Many thanks go to my Stormwarden friend for leading me into this new adventure - you know who you are.

This was perhaps, if not an explanation, at least the beginning of one. Matilda was sipping her tea peacefully, when she stopped abruptly, as if sensing something approach. The air tasted of divine power, electricity on her tongue. Suddenly, as Nya and Abashai finished her prayers to Eyris, the ink on the cover began to stir and shift, forming lines and letters that had not been there before.

The new title read "He lies yet he doesn't."

And the rest of the cover had turned into a map of the Syliran Wildlands with a 'X' near the Cyphrus border. The words 'Areesa Tallshade Memorial Keep' underneath the map were the only ones left unchanged.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Nya Winters on February 23rd, 2010, 5:45 pm

Nya reached out and laid a hand on Matilda's arm. "If we have a say in this, the vulture man and his group will never be able to gain a foothold in this place. Or no other places. They are dangerous and poison the minds of the young." Nya said, then glanced at Abashai. It was an odd sensation, sometimes, knowing how he'd feel about something - especially his level of commitment. Her bondmate would broker no abuse, especially the corruption of the youth, and so she felt absolutely firmly confident making statements that included 'we' rather than just 'she'. The kelvic impatiently pushed a lock of her hair behind her ear clearing her vision as she leaned forward over the book. She'd moved, settling beside Abashai so they could study the book together.

Nya raised an eyebrow. More wizards? "Would they welcome visitors? I would like to see this place." She said thoughtfully, though she didn't want the presence of this place to distract them from their ultimate task. Matilda hadn't been there so the question was more an out-loud musing. But there might be clues. Nya, who'd never been quite scholarly the whole of her life, had been around someone who was overly scholarly and indeed knew what to do. She pulled out a blank journal - an expensive one that was already bound - and a pot of ink. Quickly, in surprisingly neat handwriting, she copied down the important parts of the preface, with notes on what Matilda had said.

Then she added a few of her own.

- The Aressa Tallshade Memorial is actually an ancient wizards laboratory.
- Artifacts can be hidden in plain sight passed down from generation to generation with little knowledge of what they truly are.
- Kiphos and Aurin knew each other (assuming hes the stormwarden)

And then it happened. The cover writing swirled into a map that Nya greatfully copied down using her journal and the pen and ink she'd brought along in her bag. And then carefully, ever so carefully, she wrote out the words:
"He lies yet he doesn't."

"Abashai, what does that mean?"
Nya said, rereading the cover, studying the map, and then rereading the preface and intro written by Kiphos. She furrowed her brow, glanced at Matilda, and smiled slightly. "Thank you lady Eyris. Your help is greatly appreciated." The brindled haired forest cat wearing the shape of a woman said softly, almost a purr to her voice.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Abashai on February 24th, 2010, 1:28 pm

Of course, Nya knew Abashai had bound himself to prevent the Vulture Man and his cult from wielding the power they sought. There was confirmation in her partner's steely blue-green eyes as she threw him a glance. The Benshiran was often excessively cautious and rational, but when he planted his banner in the name of a cause, there would be no backing down. Whether it be a life vowed to Nya, devotion to his God, or pursuit of a virtuous goal.

It was obvious, even to Abashai, that the book could produce only scant clues to this Kiphos Shaik. But any piece of information could be useful, considering the couple had nowhere to start. Abashai chafed at the man's method of retrieving his ancestor's book, apparently using deception to wrest it from some hapless Benshiran family. He could not flatly agree that the acquisition of knowledge (especially as academic as hypotheses about "where did we come from") justified lying to his people. Nevertheless, he laid that irk aside and continued to evaluate the book with Nya.

They agreed that at least they have a location, a place where someone may know something about Shaik's whereabouts. The text also revealed a probable connection to the Stormwarden Nya had freed. Confirmation that they were on the right track.

Abashai watched Nya make her notes, nodding as she scribbled the line about artifacts. Then she paused. He caught Nya's subtle intake of a breath, as if suddenly realizing something. Then his mate began to sketch a map. He furrowed his brow and stared at her as her eyes darted from the cover of the book to her journal, carefully drawing out what appeared to be the geographical location of the Memorial Keep. Then a single line of text followed...He lies yet he doesn't. Abashai was confused, wondering where she had conjured up the map and note.

He simply looked at her, slack jawed at her question, still wondering how she knew to draw the map. Then Nya thanked Eyris, and Abashai's understanding congealed, comprehension settling in his gaze. The goddess must have shown her somehow.

He had no idea what the simple words really meant. "Benshira Rapa, our priests, sometimes speak cryptically like that. They loved to recite some riddle, then declare 'he who has an ear to hear, let him hear.' They meant that only those who desire to understand will make the effort to unfold the riddle. Those that do find a nugget of wisdom." His eyes slipped from Nya to Matilda, then back. "We should remember, many words have double meanings. I believe this line will make more sense eventually." He tapped his finger on Nya's map. "In the meantime, I believe we have our next step."
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next